Provo City Reviews

1. Provo City Cemetery Laborer

Current Employee - Laborer
    Current Employee - Laborer

I have been working at Provo City

Pros

This has been my favorite part-time job while attending university. They have been very flexible with my schedule and pay better than most campus jobs. Everyone I have worked with has been very nice. If you like working outdoors and are looking for a flexible college job, the cemetery is a great place to work.

Cons

Every shift is a graveyard shift

2. Provo City offers a great work environment, with great salary and flexibility.

I have been working at Provo City

Pros

Good salary and is flexible

Cons

There are no down sides.

3. Nice people! It's the government so of course there's politics, but overall it's a great job

Current Employee - Media Services in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Media Services in Provo, UT

I have been working at Provo City part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I work with a great team of people.

Cons

They don't want to pay Insurance for a full-time employee, so I have full-time work with part-time employment

5. Enjoyable work culture

I worked at Provo City full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hard working office culture, full of exemplary intelligent, forward-thinking people. The work/life balance is great, and the work tends to not be overly stressful. The city does a good job of taking care of its employees.

Cons

Salary, salary, salary. Pay is lower and the supply/demand to work for Provo City is out of balance because so many people want to work there. It is an enjoyable destination spot, but compensation and upward advancement is higher elsewhere.

6. Awesome Working in the Provo Recreation Center

Current Employee - Fitness Instructor in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Fitness Instructor in Provo, UT

I have been working at Provo City part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Beautiful state of art Recreation facility. Awesome manager who works closely with all the instructors. Feels like you are part of a fitness team. Good pay depending on your experience. Lots of personal growth opportunities.

Cons

Wish there were more perks for the part time employees.

7. Get ready to run

I worked at Provo City full-time

Pros

The mayor was nice when I met him? I can't think of much else

Cons

Just a huge game of cat and mouse; your co-workers and supervisors will do what they can to undermine your career moves; the changing political landscape and progressive nature of the current administration has caused most department managers to stall and forget what they're doing; HR is avoidant and detached, offers very little help in terms of new employee orientation or support for hostile work environment claims

Advice to Management

Be real, be honest, be kind, and most of all, be transparent. Shady workplace practices and infighting makes for an abysmal work experience and doesn't do the citizens of Provo any favors

8. Great place to work

I worked at Provo City

Pros

Great people in a great environment. Flexible with your work schedule. Work 4 tens in some departments

Cons

Government work moves slow. Many employees are not motivated to work hard as people rarely get fired.

Advice to Management

Upgrade your processes

Provo City has been a great stepping block to learning team work.

Current Employee - Laborer in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Laborer in Provo, UT

I have been working at Provo City full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working as a part of a team has been a wonderful learning experience with Provo City. They are flexible when scheduling vacations and other events. It has been rewarding to have a tight knit group that can work well together.

Cons

Sometimes there is not an organized team effort and little direction with projects. I have seen others as well as myself flounder from being unsure of the desired task.

Advice to Management

I feel like they could benefit from hiring outside their regular groups of seasonal workers.

10. Great working environment in an exciting time of growth for the city

I worked at Provo City part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The city has seen tremendous growth and publicity. Google Fiber, the new temple, the new rec center and convention center have brought tremendous growth to the downtown area. With this growth, working for the city is exciting. The airport also opening for commercial service, Provo is becoming a powerhouse in many assets, a lot of it has to do with the City. Schedule is flexible.

Cons

The City Center needs an upgrade, it's an old building. Four 10 hour workdays can be difficult. Working on weekends for city events are just a part of the job. Some weekends you will have to go in to work, depending on which department you work for.

Advice to Management

Overall, great work. Keep putting Provo on the national map.

11. Close enough for government work

I have been working at Provo City full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Job security is good. There has been one layoff, it was not very deep cuts. Always challenges and work to do.

Cons

Pay is never comparable to private sector. Benefits keep getting changed or cut back. Most talented come and leave. Politics...Policies and processes change every 4 years. Career growth is limited.

Advice to Management

Communicate directly with employees, define expectations. When feedback from employees is given, but not implemented, explain why.

RSS Feed </> Embed