Provo Craft and Novelty

Ashish Arora

Executive Team Drove Company Close to Financial Ruine

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Provo Craft and Novelty full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Many great employees.
    Knew how to have fun.
    Creative place to work.

Cons

Moved to South Jordan, didn't need to.
    Executive team spent money on frivolous things.
    Too many people hired because they were friends/family with executive team members.

Now that there is a new Executive team in place, I see good things happening.

Great if you like the rigors of call centers.

I worked at Provo Craft and Novelty

Pros

Decent starting pay, friendly and helpful co-workers, opportunity for overtime pay.

Cons

Inflexible, micro-managed, a bit click-ish and uninviting for newcomers, hard to change shifts.

None

While Provo Craft has come out with exceptional product, they disregard the talents of their employees.

Former Employee - Administrative in Spanish Fork, UT
    Former Employee - Administrative in Spanish Fork, UT

I worked at Provo Craft and Novelty full-time (more than an year)

Pros

While I was at Provo Craft, my creative and administrative talents were honed to a higher degree. A lot of employees were fun to work with, and I learned a lot from the current creative team, some of which were extremely talented and knowledgeable.

Cons

While a lot of the employees were friendly, the other half were downright clickish and just mean. Their was a superiority complex among the creative leads at the time which was humorous to me, since none of them had graduated from college - they were basically uneducated people, who didn't care who they trampled on to climb up the ladder. Hold on, isn't that high school all over again? You don't need an education to work here, only a nasty attitude. Oh, and management led in that regard.

Please remember that your employees are your greatest asset. A company is built upon the sweat and work of your labor force, not by entitlement.

Good Company

I have been working at Provo Craft and Novelty full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Innovative products and talented staff.

Cons

Benefits could use some improvment

Great employees, poor management

I worked at Provo Craft and Novelty full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Great people at this company, so many fun personalities below Senior Manager level.
    - Like to promote from within, at least when I was there.
    - Good compensation, decent benefits.
    - Annual bonuses when I was there, but I've heard that hasn't happened since I left (2011)...

Cons

- Executives (4 in particular) got a little too greedy after they sold majority ownership in the company. They moved the company from Spanish Fork to South Jordan, into a brand-spankin-new building, got 3 floors, top-of-the-line office furniture, pods (apparently different than cubicles because they aren't square), and got in just a little over their heads. Ends up that all four of them are no longer employees of Provo Craft, and they recently had to downgrade their office space to 2 floors instead of the 3 they previously had. And with all the layoffs they've had over the past two years, they fit just fine on those two floors...

It's not all about Marketing, as you seem to think it is. Please remember what the interim CEO Kevin (not stating his last name on purpose) learned and taught you, now learn from it. Slow down product releases, don't release a new Cricut that is basically exactly the same as the last model because most people in the crafting world probably can't afford to spend $300+ on a new machine every year, especially if it's the same machine, just in a different color! I hope the new management can figure it out and turn things around because you have some incredibly great, loyal employees who have put up with a lot of turmoil and instability over the past few years.

Great the first year before all the changes

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in South Jordan, UT
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in South Jordan, UT

I worked at Provo Craft and Novelty full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It had the small company kind of feel to it
    Everybody knows everyone and lots of team activities
    We would do weekly "treat days" with all the Account Team and IT
    Lots of opportunity to learn and gain valuable experience
    Opportunity to "do things right" and correct a lot of the mistakes and messes that were done in the past by prior employees
    Lots of eye candy

Cons

-Working excessive hours in support of the company
    -Too many problems with the infrastructure when I started there (although things were much better with that when I left)
    -Not enough recognition for hard work and going above and beyond. All I ever got was "you shouldn't be doing that this way or getting written up for doing "what I had to" to keep the business running when things went down or for working too many hours - when the job required it
    -After the move to South Jordan lots of people got on their "high horse" and the sales numbers weren't doing too well. Lots of job cuts and that's when I chose to leave.
    - There was no more room to grow my career besides upper management
    - Senior Management (aka Executives) were spending way too much money on expensive trips. Like CHA, where we would send half the company employees (150+ employees) across the country.

Listen to your employees ideas. When I first started there, Provo Craft prided themselves on listening and encouraging employees ideas. Things didn't feel that way by the time I left. Spend money wisely, don't hemorrhage in areas that are not needed (travel, expensive meals, etc) and instead of focus on important areas of financing such as IT infrastructure, research, and development. Stop releasing products too fast and instead focus on quality and value of the new products. Nobody wants to spend $300+ on a new Cricut Device just to be outsold by a newer one that does twice as much 2 months later.

Great job to gain experience sourcing products but working there is extremely unpleasant.

Former Employee - Product Manager in Spanish Fork, UT
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Spanish Fork, UT

I worked at Provo Craft and Novelty

Pros

Working in the craft industry is fun and exciting. Provo Craft has money to research and develop products. The experience working and sourcing products in China can't be beat. The company is dedicated to developing new products. Provo Craft has great sales channels and great retail partners.

Cons

The Senior Management team is incredibly out of touch with the employees. They don't respect, trust or empower employees. The turnover rate is extremely high. The pressure and stress is very high. The Senior management has a closed door policy. They are difficult to work with. They are more concerned about placing blame than finding solutions.

Trust the employees. Empower employees to make decisions.

Provo Craft and Novelty Photos

Front of the building from the street
Closer front of the building
View from inside