Prudential

Prudential Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Prudential Chairman and CEO John R. Strangfeld

John R. Strangfeld

Pros
  • Work/Life balance is good but still depends on what team you belong(in 80 reviews)

• Good benefits package - new employees are still eligible for a pension(in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • The work/life balance of sales will drive most to leave within the first few years(in 24 reviews)

• 15 appoiuntments unless is is your personal friends and family(in 7 reviews)

If you have a conscious, don't come here to work

ProsUnlimited commissions, and an opportunity to offer people financial stability in the time of a loss

ConsThey will not b e honest about the investment you need to make to get started. Once you pay for a license, then they will tell you you need to pay them more money in order to sell that product in that state. If you have a lead that is not a core product from Prudential, do not expect any help from management.

Advice to Senior Managementrestructure

HORRIBLE COMPANY

LTD Disability (Current Employee)

ProsNONE unless you are a complete suck up or your friends/parents work there

Conslow wages, massive favoritism, hostile work environment, management very abusive and retaliatory. high turn over

Advice to Senior Managementthe CEO need to listen to the employees on the floor and get rid of the horrible management including directors and VPs

Prudential, Outsiders Not Welcome

Management (Current Employee)

ProsGood benefits package, good brand recognition, good products, cost of doing business is low compared to the market.

ConsBecoming "Prudentialized" is nearly impossible. When I first make the switch from my previous firm to Prudential I had a lot of people tell me good luck becoming "Prudentialized" I shook it off and charged ahead. 2 years later I understand. This company is great if you have been around for 20+ years, which most of upper management have been, but for those in management positions that are new it is extremely difficult. There is very poor support for those managers and Financial Professionals (sales) in the field so you are forced to learn everything the hard way. Even if you have very strong local management you are still going to struggle due to the poor support given at the corporate level. No wonder our top producers are just above average at other companies in our industry. In addition if you are in a sales management role the HR and Compliance Dept. run wild. The level of scrutiny that Prudential puts on background checks for new hires is over the top. Asking a 55 year old who has a college degree to find his/her high school diploma to prove they graduated is an example of how ridiculous the HR dept. is. Finally, Prudential talks a lot about diversity and inclusion but do very little at the local level to actually support it. Try to find good marketing material in any language other then english, its not going to happen!! Ive learned a lot in my time at Pru, more about what I dont want from a company then what I do want.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop living in the past, look forward and get out of your own way. Allow more outside opinions and insight in, there are a lot of current employees that are willing and ready to share their experiences and insight but do not because you do not listen or care to hear. You are/will be left behind as the industry adapts while you are stuck in the past. Let your sales people be sales people and get out of their way. Keep producing the great products you have and continue to provide good benefits. Finally, get your HR and Compliance teams under control. You will never have a great distribution channel through AD until that happens.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

FPA

(Former Employee)

ProsWent there for an interview for the fpa position, awesome company and staff.

ConsThe pay is commission based so I never went back for the second interview

Advice to Senior ManagementChange from commission to salary

DO NOT TAKE THE JOB

Financial Professional (Current Employee) Appleton, WI

ProsGreat Company Benefits.......401 K match.....control your schedule....great start into sales

ConsWhen hired you are told what you can expect to make and you can cut that number in half to get a real idea. You are also not told that you have to pay to go to work there starting year two. also you are not compensated for mileage or gas and trust me you will be on the road almost all the time. This company pays everyone else really well except for the reps. The average wage in our office last year was less the 20,000 per year. and expect 4 months of unpaid training. All in all lots of hidden surprises your expected to pay for additional training and be expected to attend training seminars that are unpaid. also you only get 45% of what you make the company keeps the rest and your not told that the nice quarterly bonuses get dropped after you have been there for 6 quarters. Your asked to reach out to everyone you know move over as many assets as possible and then once that is done they want you out the door. They will sing your praises right out of the start gate and forget about you when times get tough. There are also ethical issues that you will have to look the other way when you know someone is just doing something to make a quick buck and when you bring it up to corprate they tell you to mind your own business and not worry about what other reps are doing. do yourself a favor and keep looking its not worth it.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll of your employees are on a really nice salary except for your financial professionals and I dont know how you can be proud of a retention rate of less then 30%

Prudential is a great place that excels at promoting divesity and inclusion as part of it's core values.

Manager, Process Management (Current Employee) Dresher, PA

ProsSalary, total reward salary packages, remote working and schedule flexibility

ConsAt times, depending on the initiative, there can be disconnects between the leadership staff and employee level objectives.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure communication, that is valuable to all levels is constantly being refined as the business changes.

Great Learning Experience

Financial Services Associate (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsTraining is above average in comparison to its peers.

ConsLack of support and development from the management team.

Closed culture and lacking transparency.

Financial Professional Associate (Former Employee) Sartell, MN

ProsThe offer some very good products in the life and annuity product mix. Training was not bad.

ConsOffice culture was closed, possibly due to 90% turnover. Hard to get good advice or mentorship. Compensation was cryptic and overall transparency was lacking from top to bottom.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore transparency and honesty.

Excellent company to work with.

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Roseland, NJ

ProsGood benefits. Flexible work hours.

ConsLow salary compared to other competitors in insurance business. Bad employee treatment.

Good & Bad

Financial Analyst (Former Employee) Newark, NJ

Prosgreat benefits, gym on site, great perks like discounts.

Cons*NO WORK LIFE BALANCE FOR THOSE WHO ARE IN ACCOUNTING/FINANCE:
    Im not sure why they keep making the list when it comes to work life balance. There is non for mid management and under, When they have those polls, they are interviewing VP's not the majority of the staff. They need to go talk to the finance folk.
    *People are being laid off to make the bottom line numbers look better. I sat in a meetinng where the Chief Diversity Officer stood there and said, "instead of pushing people out of jobs, we should find the right fit for people" . This same person came from off her honeymoon and laid people off in her own department because she was following orders...Where are those values that she came to Prudential with now?
    *it's not what you know once your in the company...it's who you know.

Advice to Senior Management*start caring about your employees, if they are burned out, how can you as a company be productive and move forward?

Please train the managers and directors on how to do their jobs, not on extra curricular activities...they need to know their actual job function in and out because in some areas, they are the pulse of a department.

Worked for Prudential? Contribute to the Community!