Prudential
www.prudential.com Newark, NJ 5000+ Employees

Prudential Reviews in New York City, NY

Updated Jul 6, 2014

Prudential Chairman and CEO John R. Strangfeld Jr.

John R. Strangfeld Jr.

168 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Could have been better

Trading Assistant (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGreat diversity culture and benefits

ConsNo career growth, upper management not approachable

Advice to Senior ManagementTry mentoring your employees, giving them opportunities for growth

Poor work ethic, stale culture

Newark, NJ

ProsPrudential offers good pay and benefits, and it offers stable employment. Lots of emlpoyees in Newark say the strongest benefits is Prudential's location, that offers easier access than other financial employers in New York City.

ConsMany cons: Prudential's old-fashioned in how employees work. Leaders don't listen, people do not collaborate well. Technology is old and Lotus Notes is terrible. Many people have been in same job for many years and they aren't open to new ideas and are ignorant of the way things have changed elsewhere. I was very disappointed and left after 2 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in a lot of fresh leaders who know how business world is changing. Hold middle managers responsible for higher productivity and employee satisfaction. Invest more in technology. Listen to younger, newer employees with fresh ideas.

Prudential Review

Tax Analyst (Former Employee)
    Iselin, NJ

ProsCo-workers were a pleasure to work with.

ConsManagement were not a pleasure and did not stand up for you.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

good for first job

Financial Analyst (Former Employee)
    Newark, NJ

Prosthis was my first job after university and it was a good introduction to the corporate world. I learned a lot in 2 years, but then I was ready to move on to a place with more professional development

ConsIn a company this size, moving up the corporate ladder takes a long time. Unless you commit to 5-7 years, you probably won't make middle management.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider creating an accelerated leadership program

listen and learn from knowledgeable employees

Trade Desk Command (Current Employee)
    Iselin, NJ

Prosflexible work hours, " no" bathroom breaks

Consmanagers smile at you and stab you in the back. if your more qualified than your superiors be careful, they will seek you out and end your advancement, and you will be terminated.

Advice to Senior Managementlisten openly to employee suggestions, without a rush to judgement

Great Company to work for

Newark, NJ

ProsThe work life balance is very good compared to other companies, the pay is above average, and there's good mobility amongst different departments.

ConsWith many employees working at Pru for their entire career there's tough upward mobility for new employees, much of the data systems are outdated, and the HQ is in Newark.

Good experience over 15+ years

Director, Process Management (Current Employee)
    Newark, NJ

ProsWork life balance, senior management vision, corporate sustainability in Newark, ability to post throughout company

ConsSalary has change to trail off over time

Worst company I have ever worked for

Investment Analyst (Former Employee)
    Newark, NJ

ProsYou get a bigger bonus working in Investment Management though its chump change compared to the amount of work you put in and the responsibilities you have.

ConsI don't ever write reviews as I've worked at Bank of America and thought that was a very political environment but Prudential takes the cake. You are overworked, underpaid, not appreciated as a person and at the end of the day it doesn't matter how good of a job you do, if someone doesn't like you, they will fire you. It was the worst experience of my life working there, but I powered through everyday and put a smile on my face.

People who work there are the ones who culturally don't fit anywhere else. They are the socially awkward people you ignored/made fun of in school. Total opposite of Wall Street culture. They do not give employees phones or pay for your phone bill but expect you to have office email app downloaded on your phone and respond to emails at all times. All the equipment is from the 1950's. You can't even go back to see the telephone number of missed calls. How they invest in equipment is an example of how they invest in its people. They don't. They get you in for the cheapest amount and throw you out when they're done.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the young people coming in if you want to bring some innovation to your outdated company. That's why everyone uses you as a stepping-stone and never stays.

Friendly atmosphere and learning experience

Intern (Former Employee)
    East Brunswick, NJ

ProsVery friendly staff, location was convenient, and flexible with school schedules

ConsNo opportunity for growth in smaller office

Group Insurance's Project Management is very poorly run

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Roseland, NJ

Pros* Good pay & flex time for both contractor & employee
    * Employees have good benefits
    * Nice building and campus
    .... wish I had more...

Cons* big on baptism by fire (very little new hire orientation or intro to resources)
    * LOTS OF POLITICS - if from Medco or MetLife then you are safe
    * appears every few years many are let go (2008, 2011, 2014)
    * Issues started in early 2013 (prior 2 years were fine):
    ** very quick to fire PMs (let some very good people go over small issues)
    ** projects are not career building
    ** upper Project Management is NOT respectful towards their teammates
    ** upper Project Management presses process that don't work (i.e. Guard-rails)

Go somewhere else unless you are entry level or need big company name or experience on CV.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease take note of upper Project Management's practices & institute best practices. Stopping the politics & revolving hire & fire policy. Dresher, PA is impacting Roseland, NJ.

Worked for Prudential? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Prudential reviews and ratings in New York City, NY — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Prudential CEO John R. Strangfeld Jr. All 168 reviews posted anonymously by Prudential employees.