Prudential
www.prudential.com Newark, NJ 5000+ Employees

Prudential Reviews in New York City, NY

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Prudential Chairman and CEO John R. Strangfeld Jr.

John R. Strangfeld Jr.

152 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Satisfactory place to work with good work environment and okay salaries and benefits.

Senior Investment Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Prudential full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCoworkers are good to work with, Can move around the company very easily. Training is efficient and there a lot of areas that you can self improve within the company.

ConsPromotion has been hard. Salary could be higher per level. Bonuses are horrible. However, I heard that all that depends on the group/department you work in. Perhaps, I'm just in the wrong group.

Great place to work.

Vice President (Former Employee)
Iselin, NJ

I worked at Prudential full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSense of purpose. Prudential has adjusted to focus on Retirement readiness. It's Day One ad campaign is not just a slogan. There is a deep sense of commitment among associates of all levels to help individuals achieve a secure retirement

ConsThe director of the organization from senior leadership is excellent, however, they need to make sure that it translates all the way down to the workers. A lot of work is done manually with extensive controls. More could be done to bring the back office technology up to the level of the investor/client facing technology.

Good Company

Agent Accountant (Current Employee)

ProsSolid Growth Potential for one's career

ConsNavigating politics is challenging and at sometimes difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing.

great place to work for

Accounting Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Prudential full-time for more than 10 years

Prosplace to advance your knowledge

Constoo many senior executives.Very bureaucratic and political.

Potential but hidden roadblocks.

Financial Professional (Former Employee)
Howard Beach, NY

I worked at Prudential full-time for more than 8 years

ProsFlexibility and "unlimited" comp. The best thing about the position is the freedom and potential for high commissions.

ConsWhen I was brought into the position, how I would get paid description was nowhere near reality. Your pay structure is nearly 100% commissions. I was told it would be 60% commissions and the rest in bonuses, but in reality it was more like 90% commissions and only 10% bonuses. Was never told how pay would be captured if clients changed their minds up to 6 months of policy dates. We worked for a mostly life ins. agency and it was sell, sell, sell.

Many times I saw things that would not be ethical to say the least. Clients were lied to on a weekly basis just to make a sale. It all began with management. Prudential seems to be in the business to jsut get a person to come in, work 2-4 years, get them to sign everyone they know in the world, and then hopefully they leave after 4 years. Nothing about how our agency was constructed, had any intent on keeping people in the business after 4 years, and this was passed down from home office. Everything was done to keep them there and then wash their hands with them after 4 years. From the high fees you had to pay as an experienced rep, to the low bonus grids that were available to you after 3-4 years.

Horrible work environment, and almost everyone seemed to be working against you. Many cases of coworkers sitting down with your clients behind your back and never telling you.

I was brought in with the intention of making over "$200K after your 3rd-4th year". I should have known better. In an agency of 80 people, only 4-5 people ever made over $150K/year. These 4-5 people had been with the company for well over 5 years and no one was making $300K after their 5th year with company as was briefly mentioned during the hiring process.

My recommendation is, if you do not have a natural market you can work, do not even try and attempt this field. In years of working there, I saw so many poor souls come in, charge a ton of money on their credit cards to buy leads since they had no natural market, and fail miserably after 6mnths, forcing them to resign. Also, no matter how bad you are doing production wise, unless you do illegal things, they will not fire you within the first 4 years so they don't pay any sort of unemployment. Even after 4 years, they will ask you "kindly" to resign yourself, and politely warn you that it looks worse if they fire you vs. resigning.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your people with intent to keep them there for a life long career.

Solid portfolio of businesses in state of transition

Vice President (Current Employee)

I have been working at Prudential full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMission focused on helping working savers and solving challenges runs deep.
Executive leadership is beginning to focus on removing legacy inefficiencies / obstacles.
Business mix is balanced and has many untapped growth-through-integration opportunities.

ConsMany control functions and technologies (e.g. Lotus Notes) are stuck in the 20th century.
Maintains an "old school" hierarchy and corporate culture borrowed from bankers brought in from the 80's / 90's.
Acquired companies tend to not blend in easily or integrate fully with Corporate.

Advice to Senior ManagementPrudential has a very complex, dated internal business system. Reduce overhead and increase associate satisfaction by simplifying/streamlining that system.

Large company, plenty of opportunities for career growth.

Current Employee (Current Employee)

I have been working at Prudential full-time for more than a year

ProsBeing a large company there's plenty of opportunities for personal as well as professional development. Always different internal jobs available if you are looking to change positions.

ConsComplicated hierarchy / organizational structure. Lots of business groups are silo-ed and collaboration between departments can be an issue. This leads to a bloated structure with employees doing similar jobs across different business groups.
Approaches to customer engagement is outdated and slow to react to developments in social media.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage more collaboration between departments and move to a cloud based customer engagement platform. This way customers will be able to contact Prudential easier by the method they prefer- i.e, social media, live chat etc. Also being cloud based you're not lumbered with technology on the long term and can be quickly react to changing consumer needs.

Great place to work, promotes diversity

Interactive Design Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Prudential full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat managers. Family friendly. Work remotely, Flexible schedule. Good Benefits.

ConsExcessive oversight. Digitally naive. Corporate environment and politics. Lack of innovation.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your people the same creative freedom that you do outside vendors.

Very good in IT.

Relationship Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Prudential full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat work-life balance
Many opportunities for advancement
Diversity
Many Business Resource Groups
Competitive salaries

ConsSometimes the it is difficult to see how your daily tasks relates to the overall company goals. Management is working on making this better.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare the big picture with your team
Provide growth assignments
Provide growth opportunities even if it is outside of our team or department

Good company, boring work.

Executive Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Prudential full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat pay with ok benefits.

ConsThe most boring work I've ever done.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on your job descriptions. And what in the world is "pru polite"? Really?

Worked for Prudential? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Prudential reviews and ratings in New York City, NY — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Prudential CEO John R. Strangfeld Jr. All 152 reviews posted anonymously by Prudential employees.