Prudential Reviews in New York City, NY

Updated September 17, 2014
3.4

Prudential Chairman and CEO John R. Strangfeld
John R. Strangfeld

Pros
  • Work/Life balance is good but still depends on what team you belong (in 80 reviews)

• Good benefits package - new employees are still eligible for a pension (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • The work/life balance of sales will drive most to leave within the first few years (in 23 reviews)

• 15 appoiuntments unless is is your personal friends and family (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

183 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great environment and Great people

Former Employee - Operations Associate  in  Iselin, NJ
    Former Employee - Operations Associate in Iselin, NJ

I worked at Prudential full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Enjoy that everyone is supportive and proactive. Teamwork is clearly seen on every level.

Cons

The job nature can get hectic sometimes. And, there is also quite an amount of pressure.

Be even more supportive.

Great place to work.

Former Employee - Vice President  in  Iselin, NJ
    Former Employee - Vice President in Iselin, NJ

I worked at Prudential full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Sense of purpose. Prudential has adjusted to focus on Retirement readiness. It's Day One ad campaign is not just a slogan. There is a deep sense of commitment among associates of all levels to help individuals achieve a secure retirement

Cons

The director of the organization from senior leadership is excellent, however, they need to make sure that it translates all the way down to the workers. A lot of work is done manually with extensive controls. More could be done to bring the back office technology up to the level of the investor/client facing technology.

Good Company

Current Employee - Agent Accountant  in  Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Agent Accountant in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Prudential full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Solid Growth Potential for one's career

Cons

Navigating politics is challenging and at sometimes difficult.

Nothing.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Compensation

Former Employee - Compensation  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Compensation in New York, NY

I worked at Prudential full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

People are nice. They are smart and try to help each other. Some are there for many years so they know the ins and outs.

Cons

Work long hours and at the end the merit bases Increases are small. They can do better. They have smart people I think they need to take care of them better

Potential but hidden roadblocks.

Former Employee - Financial Professional  in  Howard Beach, NY
    Former Employee - Financial Professional in Howard Beach, NY

I worked at Prudential full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Flexibility and "unlimited" comp. The best thing about the position is the freedom and potential for high commissions.

Cons

When I was brought into the position, how I would get paid description was nowhere near reality. Your pay structure is nearly 100% commissions. I was told it would be 60% commissions and the rest in bonuses, but in reality it was more like 90% commissions and only 10% bonuses. Was never told how pay would be captured if clients changed their minds up to 6 months of policy dates. We worked for a mostly life ins. agency and it was sell, sell, sell.

Many times I saw things that would not be ethical to say the least. Clients were lied to on a weekly basis just to make a sale. It all began with management. Prudential seems to be in the business to jsut get a person to come in, work 2-4 years, get them to sign everyone they know in the world, and then hopefully they leave after 4 years. Nothing about how our agency was constructed, had any intent on keeping people in the business after 4 years, and this was passed down from home office. Everything was done to keep them there and then wash their hands with them after 4 years. From the high fees you had to pay as an experienced rep, to the low bonus grids that were available to you after 3-4 years.

Horrible work environment, and almost everyone seemed to be working against you. Many cases of coworkers sitting down with your clients behind your back and never telling you.

I was brought in with the intention of making over "$200K after your 3rd-4th year". I should have known better. In an agency of 80 people, only 4-5 people ever made over $150K/year. These 4-5 people had been with the company for well over 5 years and no one was making $300K after their 5th year with company as was briefly mentioned during the hiring process.

My recommendation is, if you do not have a natural market you can work, do not even try and attempt this field. In years of working there, I saw so many poor souls come in, charge a ton of money on their credit cards to buy leads since they had no natural market, and fail miserably after 6mnths, forcing them to resign. Also, no matter how bad you are doing production wise, unless you do illegal things, they will not fire you within the first 4 years so they don't pay any sort of unemployment. Even after 4 years, they will ask you "kindly" to resign yourself, and politely warn you that it looks worse if they fire you vs. resigning.

Train your people with intent to keep them there for a life long career.

great place to work for

Current Employee - Accounting Specialist  in  Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Accounting Specialist in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Prudential full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

place to advance your knowledge

Cons

too many senior executives.Very bureaucratic and political.

Large company, plenty of opportunities for career growth.

Current Employee - Current Employee  in  Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Current Employee in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Prudential full-time for more than a year

Pros

Being a large company there's plenty of opportunities for personal as well as professional development. Always different internal jobs available if you are looking to change positions.

Cons

Complicated hierarchy / organizational structure. Lots of business groups are silo-ed and collaboration between departments can be an issue. This leads to a bloated structure with employees doing similar jobs across different business groups.
    Approaches to customer engagement is outdated and slow to react to developments in social media.

Encourage more collaboration between departments and move to a cloud based customer engagement platform. This way customers will be able to contact Prudential easier by the method they prefer- i.e, social media, live chat etc. Also being cloud based you're not lumbered with technology on the long term and can be quickly react to changing consumer needs.

Great place to work, promotes diversity

Current Employee - Interactive Design Manager  in  Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Interactive Design Manager in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Prudential full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great managers. Family friendly. Work remotely, Flexible schedule. Good Benefits.

Cons

Excessive oversight. Digitally naive. Corporate environment and politics. Lack of innovation.

Give your people the same creative freedom that you do outside vendors.

Good company, boring work.

Current Employee - Executive Assistant  in  Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Prudential full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great pay with ok benefits.

Cons

The most boring work I've ever done.

Work on your job descriptions. And what in the world is "pru polite"? Really?

Great Place To Work

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Roseland, NJ
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Roseland, NJ

I worked at Prudential full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Friendly people, great hours, room for growth. I worked at Prudential for about four years and had great experiences with almost everyone there. Just one bad apple, but no place is perfect.

Cons

As an insurance company, they can be very conservative (not politically, just risk-wise, e.g., prone to play it safe when it comes to technology).

Pay more attention to complaints about the few bad apples.

Worked for Prudential? Contribute to the Community!