Prudential

Updated December 7, 2014
3.5

Prudential Chairman and CEO John R. Strangfeld
John R. Strangfeld

Pros
  • Work/Life balance is good but still depends on what team you belong (in 91 reviews)

• Good benefits package - new employees are still eligible for a pension (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • The work/life balance of sales will drive most to leave within the first few years (in 26 reviews)

• 15 appoiuntments unless is is your personal friends and family (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

123 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Well structured / focused organization

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Newark, NJ

I worked at Prudential as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Pleasant atmosphere, team-focused, friendly/fun but work-oriented. Team takes deliverables and meeting client needs seriously. Coming from a Wall Street bank, I see very good movement in the selection process here of hiring which seems to pattern after the same model of my former bank which attracted top talent and deviated from mediocrity. After leaving Prudential and working elsewhere, I saw a lot of positive growth upon my return and I've come to realize just how well the processes and procedures of this Company were implemented, maintained and are really top notch!

Cons

I do not have any negatives to present. This company far excels in the category of processes, procedures, sense of direction and smarts; elsewhere, systems and processes are a mess and all over the place.

Not pertaining to my department or general/upper management which was the most professionally dressed per my view, but to limit having some come too casual throughout the Company, putting out a more stringent policy to heighten the dress code a bit would spruce up the overall image to an even better place! :-)

Great company that works hard to cultivate leaders

Current Employee - Public Relations Specialist in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Public Relations Specialist in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Prudential

Pros

Professional development opportunities encouraged, competitive pay, and managers that are truly invested in the success of their direct reports. Culture seems to be work hard, play harder.

Cons

Have noticed some office politics, but that's at any company.

Continue cultivating leaders at lower management.

unfair to actuarial staff not in Pru's Actuarial Leadership Development Program

Former Employee - Senior Actuarial Associate in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Actuarial Associate in Newark, NJ

I worked at Prudential

Pros

bonus target is higher than other companies

Cons

treat actuarial staff differently. For the so called 'Actuarial Leadership Development Program' (ALDP), they have 50% more study time, at least 20% more salary and get promotion on exams. These kids don't work over time, study at work and can move to a director level within 3-4 years. However, their "leadership" is not that good. And their tech skills suck. Think about it, during their 12-mth rotation, they have 4 weeks PTO, 2 weeks holidays, 6 weeks study time, how many weeks they can actually work and make a real contribution??

For non ALDP staff, they work hard, study with less support and take a much less salary. This is not fair!

treat staff equally, based on performance, not on the so called "leadership"

Prudential Response

Dec 9, 2014Social Media Manager

We appreciate your candid review. If you would like to discuss this further we are interested in hearing from you. Please email us staffing@prudential.com

Intern

Current Employee - Intern in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Intern in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Prudential as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Easy commute. Was great being able to work in several different departments. Everyone there was extremely nice and loved to be asked questions.

Cons

I did not see any cons of my intern experience. I thought everything was useful and could not have been learned anywhere else.

Great opportunity

Current Employee - Financial Professional Associate in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Financial Professional Associate in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Prudential full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free lunch one hour lunch break, good coworker

Cons

Nothing at the moment love my job

Thanks for hiring me.

It was a wonderful place to work.

Former Employee - Director in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Director in Newark, NJ

I worked at Prudential full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The Salary was excellent and the benefits were great. Prudential cared about the employees and their advancement, as well as work life balance. Prudential was a great corporate citizen that cared about the communites that they had operations.

Cons

I think Prudential gets very caught up in diversity of staff issue and applicant pool to the point of stalling the operation. I had a put in a promotion request for a high level male preformer, that kept getting denied, but when he passed away tragically, the new person(a female) in the position was given the title he was denied, which struck me as a serious negative.

Listen to the Director and VP levels of Management more closely.

Learning Experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

I worked at Prudential full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Ability to work on a vast amount of high level projects

Cons

Limited resources, haste project requests

Overall excellent experience, although I was laid off after more than 10 years

Former Employee - Vice President, Relationship Manager in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Vice President, Relationship Manager in Newark, NJ

I worked at Prudential full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The benefits and work/life balance. Management is very supportive of work/life balance including telecommuting, occasional work from home, varied schedule, work in an alternate location, etc. Senior Management is very strong, as evidenced by Prudential's journey through the 2008 financial crisis.

Cons

Quick to hire and quick to fire. Prudential is very overfunded in their pension, so they are not hesitant to do lay offs and pay out severance. Most of the time, this occurs because you happen to be in the wrong business unit, or organization. Or.... your work is outsourced. What they don't do, is try to get you placed in anticipation of a lay off. Recently over 100 were laid off, yet there were over 600 jobs advertised internally. This is clearly an opportunity for HR.

Great people and benefits, Low base pay

Current Employee - Financial Reporting Specialist in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Financial Reporting Specialist in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Prudential full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people
    Opportunities to grow and senior management supports talent mobility
    Very Good Benefits Package includes Tuition Reimbursement
    OK Work/Life Balance (depending on group)
    Overall great culture

Cons

Low base salary compared to Industry average
    Significant room for systems improvement which would reduce overtime hours

Pay base on experience and performance

Down To Earth, Great Place to Work

Former Employee - Credit Research Analyst in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Credit Research Analyst in Newark, NJ

I worked at Prudential as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The people are so welcoming, intelligent and motivated. They are so helpful in explaining things and taking the time to share their knowledge and expertise with interns. They are very focused on balancing work and life for interns by limiting hours to 40 a week (can work over if need be).

Cons

Office is moving further away from the train station in the next year (will no longer be connected)