Prudential
www.prudential.com Newark, NJ 5000+ Employees

Prudential Reviews in Newark, NJ

Updated Jul 6, 2014

Prudential Chairman and CEO John R. Strangfeld Jr.

John R. Strangfeld Jr.

104 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good place to work

Business Analyst (Former Employee)
    Newark, NJ

ProsGood pay; flexible hours; tuition reimbursement as soon as you start; good location; company provides a lot of training opportunities

Consit depends on what department you get into; some departments are not open to change and this can sometimes cause conflict; not all departments participate in the flex schedule.

Fair- good benefits too many politics

Executive Assistant (Former Employee)
    Newark, NJ

ProsGreat salary and benefits. Convenient location in two gateway center.

Conswork-life balance, very political, as an EA you are on call 24/7.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't tell allow outside politics to enter the work place. I had a fellow secretary try to tell me I HAD to be a republican because that is what everyone else was.

It's pretty good, but not without flaws.

Actuary (Current Employee)
    Newark, NJ

ProsGreat health, dental, and vision care. In fact, all their benefits are pretty good. You get a lot of PTO, too, and working from home is encouraged. Prudential really does care about helping you get the rest of the stuff in life out of the way so you can perform your best when you're on the clock.

ConsSalaries are pretty low for the work and region. Just about everyone I know outside of Pru is getting paid more than me.

Big focus on doing something in the "Prudential way", even if that's admitted to be inefficient. Results in some clunky, inefficient procedures that waste asssociates time.

Tech standards are WAY outdated - we're still on Lotus Notes for crying out loud! The firewalls and Internet blocking policies are ineffective and condescending, too. Sometimes they block you from getting to information that'd help you at work, and if people really want to slack off, they'll just find another way to do it.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove our IT systems into the 21st century. It's only slowing us down.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice benefits, but work/life balance is becoming stressful as workload increases and no plan to hire is insight.

Senior Analyst Programmer (Current Employee)
    Newark, NJ

ProsBig bonus, salary is average. Work/Life balance is good but still depends on what team you belong.

ConsNo plan to replace people who were laid off while workload increases. This results in some areas to stress in work/life balance and quality of work suffers.

Advice to Senior ManagementHope upper management will realize the consequences of too much cost cutting- quality of work suffers. It's time to hire some people as work load increases. Cost cutting is fine and should not be taken into extremes.

Wonderful company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Newark, NJ

ProsPrudential is a wonderful company to work for. Besides getting in the door to a job you will enjoy, they offer continued training and growth where applicable. They have a wonderful work, life balance, benefits, on site health facility among other perks like bonuses. Employees tend to stay for a very long time.

ConsSometimes growth doesn't happen as quickly as you think it should. And, requesting work from home doesn't always get approved.

How is this legal?

Financial Professional Associate (Current Employee)
    Newark, NJ

ProsIf one actually got a check, due to the size of the company, you could be confident it would clear.

ConsPrudential's Career Development Program is akin to pre-Civil War slavery. New agents are thrown to the wolves and told to sell life insurance to their friends and family, and aren't paid a dime until they hit a certain sales quota, even if they've sold product. It is possible to LOSE money by going to work, due to the fact that agents are not compensated for any of their licensing or travel expenses until they make it through the initiation. Less than half of their recruits make it through the CDP.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut yourself in the recruit's shoes. It will be quite a reality check.

Good & Bad

Financial Analyst (Former Employee)
    Newark, NJ

Prosgreat benefits, gym on site, great perks like discounts.

Cons*NO WORK LIFE BALANCE FOR THOSE WHO ARE IN ACCOUNTING/FINANCE:
    Im not sure why they keep making the list when it comes to work life balance. There is non for mid management and under, When they have those polls, they are interviewing VP's not the majority of the staff. They need to go talk to the finance folk.
    *People are being laid off to make the bottom line numbers look better. I sat in a meetinng where the Chief Diversity Officer stood there and said, "instead of pushing people out of jobs, we should find the right fit for people" . This same person came from off her honeymoon and laid people off in her own department because she was following orders...Where are those values that she came to Prudential with now?
    *it's not what you know once your in the company...it's who you know.

Advice to Senior Management*start caring about your employees, if they are burned out, how can you as a company be productive and move forward?

Please train the managers and directors on how to do their jobs, not on extra curricular activities...they need to know their actual job function in and out because in some areas, they are the pulse of a department.

Great place to work

Vice President, Information Systems (Former Employee)
    Newark, NJ

ProsPrudential invests in their employee...career
    Excellent work/life balance

ConsCan be very political...best solution is not always taken.

Satisfactory place to work with good work environment and okay salaries and benefits.

Senior Investment Associate (Current Employee)
    Newark, NJ

ProsCoworkers are good to work with, Can move around the company very easily. Training is efficient and there a lot of areas that you can self improve within the company.

ConsPromotion has been hard. Salary could be higher per level. Bonuses are horrible. However, I heard that all that depends on the group/department you work in. Perhaps, I'm just in the wrong group.

Good Company

Agent Accountant (Current Employee)

ProsSolid Growth Potential for one's career

ConsNavigating politics is challenging and at sometimes difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing.

Worked for Prudential? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Prudential reviews and ratings in Newark, NJ — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Prudential CEO John R. Strangfeld Jr. All 104 reviews posted anonymously by Prudential employees.