Prudential
www.prudential.com Newark, NJ 5000+ Employees

Prudential Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Prudential Chairman and CEO John R. Strangfeld Jr.

John R. Strangfeld Jr.

Pros:
  • "Good work life balance but subject to business unit and manager"
    in 68 reviews
  • "Good benefits that many companies do not offer"
    in 32 reviews
Cons:
  • "The work/life balance of sales will drive most to leave within the first few years"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Senior management basically has gone number 2 all over the bed"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Satisfactory place to work with good work environment and okay salaries and benefits.

Senior Investment Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Prudential full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCoworkers are good to work with, Can move around the company very easily. Training is efficient and there a lot of areas that you can self improve within the company.

ConsPromotion has been hard. Salary could be higher per level. Bonuses are horrible. However, I heard that all that depends on the group/department you work in. Perhaps, I'm just in the wrong group.

Great place to work.

Vice President (Former Employee)
Iselin, NJ

I worked at Prudential full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSense of purpose. Prudential has adjusted to focus on Retirement readiness. It's Day One ad campaign is not just a slogan. There is a deep sense of commitment among associates of all levels to help individuals achieve a secure retirement

ConsThe director of the organization from senior leadership is excellent, however, they need to make sure that it translates all the way down to the workers. A lot of work is done manually with extensive controls. More could be done to bring the back office technology up to the level of the investor/client facing technology.

Good Company

Agent Accountant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Prudential full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSolid Growth Potential for one's career

ConsNavigating politics is challenging and at sometimes difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing.

Smart Successful Company but moves slowly

I have been working at Prudential full-time

ProsStrong brand and business, willing to spend on resources to make employees and company successful. Smart leadership and very little political infighting - everyone seems to be on the same page and willing to help eachother

ConsManagement by committee, lots of red tape and things can move slowly. B2B2C business model makes it difficult to have a direct short term impact on the bottom line.

Tremendous opportunity to grow you own wealth and business.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Prudential

ProsThe training was incredible and thorough, and it was easy to meet the goals that are expected of you. You truly make your own schedule, so as long as you are working hard and honestly trying to build your own business through Prudential, you'll be very well off.

ConsYou pay is base solely on commissions, so don't expect a steady stream of cash from day one. They do have a great system set up, so you're paid over a duration of time, instead of getting all of your commission at once, so it's kind of like having a salary that you earn through commissions. If you want to build a business your way with the backing of a reputable, caring company, Prudential is the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on how new clients are dispersed to the Financial Professionals, and you won't have a turnover rate of employees that is as high as it is.

Good company

Marketing Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Prudential full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat people to work with, and they support mentor relationships & personal growth. Good benefits that many companies do not offer.

ConsLike many companies, less resources to do our job well which can be stressful at times. Wish there was more potential for promotions.

Financial Professional

Financial Professional (Current Employee)
San Diego, CA

I have been working at Prudential for more than a year

ProsExcellent training, positive atmosphere, very focus employees.
Excellent benefit packages.

ConsNo base salary, it is commissions only.
They have an structure of putting your commissions in a bucket to have a more steady stream of income.

great place to work for

Accounting Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Prudential full-time for more than 10 years

Prosplace to advance your knowledge

Constoo many senior executives.Very bureaucratic and political.

Potential but hidden roadblocks.

Financial Professional (Former Employee)
Howard Beach, NY

I worked at Prudential full-time for more than 8 years

ProsFlexibility and "unlimited" comp. The best thing about the position is the freedom and potential for high commissions.

ConsWhen I was brought into the position, how I would get paid description was nowhere near reality. Your pay structure is nearly 100% commissions. I was told it would be 60% commissions and the rest in bonuses, but in reality it was more like 90% commissions and only 10% bonuses. Was never told how pay would be captured if clients changed their minds up to 6 months of policy dates. We worked for a mostly life ins. agency and it was sell, sell, sell.

Many times I saw things that would not be ethical to say the least. Clients were lied to on a weekly basis just to make a sale. It all began with management. Prudential seems to be in the business to jsut get a person to come in, work 2-4 years, get them to sign everyone they know in the world, and then hopefully they leave after 4 years. Nothing about how our agency was constructed, had any intent on keeping people in the business after 4 years, and this was passed down from home office. Everything was done to keep them there and then wash their hands with them after 4 years. From the high fees you had to pay as an experienced rep, to the low bonus grids that were available to you after 3-4 years.

Horrible work environment, and almost everyone seemed to be working against you. Many cases of coworkers sitting down with your clients behind your back and never telling you.

I was brought in with the intention of making over "$200K after your 3rd-4th year". I should have known better. In an agency of 80 people, only 4-5 people ever made over $150K/year. These 4-5 people had been with the company for well over 5 years and no one was making $300K after their 5th year with company as was briefly mentioned during the hiring process.

My recommendation is, if you do not have a natural market you can work, do not even try and attempt this field. In years of working there, I saw so many poor souls come in, charge a ton of money on their credit cards to buy leads since they had no natural market, and fail miserably after 6mnths, forcing them to resign. Also, no matter how bad you are doing production wise, unless you do illegal things, they will not fire you within the first 4 years so they don't pay any sort of unemployment. Even after 4 years, they will ask you "kindly" to resign yourself, and politely warn you that it looks worse if they fire you vs. resigning.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your people with intent to keep them there for a life long career.

Good place to learn the financial services industry if you can survive the corporate politics and outsourcing of jobs

Information Security Associate (Former Employee)
Scranton, PA

I worked at Prudential full-time for more than 10 years

ProsDepending on what office location your in, there is plenty of room for you to either grow in your current position or move to another department to learn more. Work life balance is good, but that also depends on who you work for and what department you are in. Support of co-workers is great.

ConsSenior management is lost. Your expected to do the work of two people. Managers/Directors/VP's constantly change as positions are "eliminated" (employees given severance packages), then backfilled by either a replacement off the street or moving another person internally to the "eliminated" position. This is done mostly because someone doesn't like someone. There is a great deal of favoring work friends by management, meaning if an open position is posted, a managers friend who is not qualified would be offered the position vs someone who was qualified (I've seen this happen so many times). Management will, at times, brush issues that are brought to their attention under the rug vs attempting to correct the problem. There is also a great deal of outsourcing that goes on which makes you wonder if your position will be there the next day (they tend to not let you know it's coming 99% of the time). I survived almost 16 years with the company before I decided it was time for a change (on my own behalf), so a long career can be done with them. Compensation is not the best.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees concerns instead of making acronyms related to PRU that no one bothers paying attention to.

Worked for Prudential? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Prudential reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Prudential CEO John R. Strangfeld Jr. All 544 reviews posted anonymously by Prudential employees.