Prudential Reviews

755 reviews filtered by
3.3
Prudential Chairman and CEO John R. Strangfeld
John R. Strangfeld

Pros
  • Work/Life balance is good but still depends on what team you belong (in 91 reviews)

• Good benefits package - new employees are still eligible for a pension (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • The work/life balance of sales will drive most to leave within the first few years (in 26 reviews)

• 15 appoiuntments unless is is your personal friends and family (in 8 reviews)

1. They are winners

Current Employee - Project Manager in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Prudential

Pros

Great management and flexibility. Plenty of opportunities for growth if you work hard.

Cons

Innovation is something that takes months to move forward. They hope to change with a new division

2. Financial Advisor

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Prudential full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Building of a business that is yours. It is extremely rewarding to know you've done a great service to your clients for their financial futures. Training is good.

Cons

Ever since the Dodd-Frank bill compliance has been much more strenuous, time-consuming, and onerous. Our compliance people do a good job and keep you up with training but it is a drag on building your business.

I feel it takes longer than it should to build the residuals required to really keep your business running through the ups and downs. You just need to be there when your clients need you.

Good company with great products

Current Employee - Financial Professional
    Current Employee - Financial Professional

I have been working at Prudential

Pros

Freedom, you make your own schedule. Great products to represent to clients. Huge amount of current clients to reach out to and grow your business

Cons

Management styles conflicted with one another. Lack of training when starting out. The work never ends, you are building a business and it can eat away at personal life.

Advice to Management

management constantly rolled out new initiatives and focuses but we're rarely followed up on. You waste a lot of time with upper management to keep their schedules full.

5. financial profesdional

I have been working at Prudential

Pros

Flexibility, management, money is decent once you get good ng

Cons

Hard to find new clients

6. Deadweight Culture

I worked at Prudential full-time

Pros

Work Life Balance is good

Cons

No ability to move up, company prefers to hire from the outside for every senior position.

Advice to Management

Restructure management

Prudential Response

Apr 16, 2015Senior Staffing Specialist

We appreciate your candid feedback. If you would like to discuss this further we are interested in hearing from you. Please email us staffing@prudential.com.

7. Marketing Project Manager

Current Employee - Project Manager in Shelton, CT
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Shelton, CT

I have been working at Prudential

Pros

Great company with okay salary, good benefits and bonus. Good people and flexible work environment.

Cons

Great company overall but their middle management has no structure. Each manager has their own style and seems to manage their teams however they want. Senior management often is disconnected and has no idea what is going on. They all talk the good talk of career planning, but there is really very little advancement from within. There seems to be a lack of willingness to promote from within or give anyone a chance to prove themselves. Any position (according to HR) must be posted and almost always ends up being filled by an outside candidate.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to your middle managers and how they are managing, many have no experience and are holding back good employees. Take a chance on the great employees you have instead of always looking outside.

8. FPA

I have been working at Prudential full-time

Pros

Great money when things are going well. Schedule flexibility, ability to work remote.

Cons

No base, Little behind on technology, Support at times.

9. Direcror

Former Employee - Director in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Director in Hartford, CT

I worked at Prudential (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people that are driven towards being the industry leaders in life insurance sales.

Cons

Difficult to advance career based on personal merit alone.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

Eh...OK place to work with potential to be much, much better.

Former Employee - Prudential Retirement
    Former Employee - Prudential Retirement

I worked at Prudential full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Salaries, Paid Time Off, Flex Hours, Total Benefit package..much better than other financial companies. If that is all you're looking for than this is the company for you. Until they make significant changes in leadership style, this will be a mediocre company. A huge plus is the company is very diverse, offering opportunties for all backgrounds. The leadership team is very capable of leading a successful organzition but they need to tweak their style...see comments below.

Cons

Leadership talks a good game about respect for all associates but most I have interacted with don't even respect each other. In order to get anything accomplished you need to be proficient at office politics. The leadership team (a very friendly bunch) often swings to extremes to address concerns and issues, particulary around the time the employees survey is completed. The focus swings from making a profit regardless of associate impact to doing anything necessary to make associates happy. They need to understand there is a balance the needs to be maintained.

Advice to Management

Treat associates as professionals capable of dealing with set backs just as well as they can deal with success. This is not high school, we are all grown up now. Many of your associates have a significant amount of experience and are being under utilized meanwhile there are associates in leadership positions who have no business having the privilege. Take off the blinders! Time to look under the covers and see the potential, some of it has been there for years going unnoticed. Shame on you if you let the talent leave for a competitor. Another suggestion, get the Technology and Business teams on the same page...and don't use a Kumbaya meeting to try and get that done. I do want to thank the Prudential team for the excellent training and serving as a springboard for my career. I will look fondly on my tenure with Pru, the partnerships I made, and the knowledge provided to be successful, unfortunately, at a competitor who "gets it". Good luck to all, I hope you find you way.

Okay supervision

I have been working at Prudential

Pros

Have lots of guidance

Cons

Can provide more insight as to the career before getting into it