Prudential

Updated January 25, 2015
3.5

Prudential Chairman and CEO John R. Strangfeld
John R. Strangfeld

Pros
  • Work/Life balance is good but still depends on what team you belong (in 91 reviews)

• Good benefits package - new employees are still eligible for a pension (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • The work/life balance of sales will drive most to leave within the first few years (in 26 reviews)

• 15 appoiuntments unless is is your personal friends and family (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent career potential

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Prudential

Pros

The large corporate environment has a great deal of potententional. Managers are available to assist and maintain development. Flexible work arrangements and a commitment to improved quality of life generate a more devoted and happy workplace. Compensation is very comparable to the market.

Cons

Movement can be slow at the corporate level, due to the large organizational structure. Because of the PTO policy, most staff come to work when sick rather than forfeiting a PTO day which combines sick & vacation days. Annual reviews are looked at as a task rather than as a process to improve the employee, or recognize a job well done.

Create a sick day policy. Recognize top talent and reward/promote quickly. Perform reviews more than once annually.

Actuarial Summer Intern

Former Employee - Actuarial Intern in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Actuarial Intern in Hartford, CT

I worked at Prudential as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I had a lot of support and there was plenty of interesting work. The people were also great and I attended a few outings.

Cons

It was only for the summer.

Pru State of Work

Current Employee - IT Manager
    Current Employee - IT Manager

I have been working at Prudential full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Ok so far. Not the greatest but it's a lot better that most others i have worked for in the past. Good vacation package, Decent compensentation and Flexible work arrangements depending on your direct Manager

Cons

Getting the deserved promotion can be tasking if you are not political enough or always towing to your managers.

Do a better job at giving opportunities for career development and promotions to deserving staff.

Current employee not in the Actuarial Leadership Development Program.

Current Employee - Director, Actuarial in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Director, Actuarial in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Prudential

Pros

Great place to work and develop skills. Excellent benefits package. 401k and Cash Balance pension plan. People are amazing and manager actually cares.

Cons

None really. Except if you work in actuarial and aren't in the Actuarial Leadership Development Program (ALDP). ALDP students work less hours, get more study time, get promoted just for passing exams (not for working hard), get bigger raises for exams than other students. Overall, they get paid more to do less, it's pretty pathetic. I'd take a student from the Consulting Actuarial Development Program (CADP) over the ALDP any day. CADP students are well rounded, can complete a project from start to finish (not just a small part, without understanding how it fits into the big picture), can present to peers as well as clients and they get paid less to do more.

Treat the Actuarial talent equal or you'll continue to lose talent. More students will go to the ALDP, so they can spend less time doing work and getting paid more for it. It's exhausting continually having to try to recruit new talent only to see them ask to go to the ALDP for more money and less hours. Not to mention the battles with HR that are required to give out promotions to non-ALDP students. The inequity is intolerable and needs to stop.

Great company to work for

I have been working at Prudential

Pros

Respectful environment, fair compensation, good benefits

Cons

Can't think of any right now

great company

I have been working at Prudential

Pros

-Everyone is very nice, friendly, wants you to succeed
    -Many opportunities for growth
    -Very diverse
    -Great cafeteria with reasonable prices
    -Security parking, buses between buildings and train station

Cons

-I can't think of any t the moment

Great place to work

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dresher, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dresher, PA

I worked at Prudential full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, professional atmosphere. Helpful people and personal accountability.

Cons

Mostly big corporate stuff...Cliques, secrets, may sometimes feel like a machine cog. Chance at poor local management.

None.

Actuary

I have been working at Prudential

Pros

Huge company with lots of opportunities for talents to move around.
    Great Work/life balance for actuaries

Cons

Like other old and stable companies changes are slow and large scale projects take forever. This cones with the scale.

Good company but lacks work/life balance

Current Employee - Project Leader in Scranton, PA
    Current Employee - Project Leader in Scranton, PA

I have been working at Prudential

Pros

Good pay & benefits. They offer a flexible work schedule that make it easy to schedule routine dr appointments that you may otherwise

Cons

No work life balance
    Proper training is not always given

Realize that you are asking too much of employees when you expect to be available 12 hours a day for weeks at a time.

Beware

Current Employee - Financial Professional
    Current Employee - Financial Professional

I have been working at Prudential full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company.
    Great benefits.
    Lots of perks and it can be a good place.

Cons

They screwed a lot of newer agents with a contract change in the middle of their current one to go statutory sooner than what they signed for. If you are new to being a financial advisor the first few years are crucial and you're not making a lot of money. Having the rug pulled from under you to get the privilege of paying for a cube and your E&O way sooner than you can afford to. I can't tell you how many people have left because they end up workin for free, after they have blown up their personal finances.

How about doing more to support and retain your new org. I know there are competitors that start newer people with a small base until you get along in the business. Pru loses good people because they can't afford the job. How about getting better training and licensing. The training is a stupid online training that pertains to next to nothing related to the job, and the in class CDP training is worthless. Better licensing gives your reps better tools and arms them to become better investment and retirement specialists that prudential wants to become. Rather than the minimum licensing to just get them onboard and see what happens if they can make it.

Prudential Response

Jan 26, 2015Social Media Manager

We value the feedback we receive here on Glassdoor. This information is valuable as we assess our processes and programs. If you’d like to discuss more, feel free to email us at ... More