Prudential

Updated January 26, 2015
3.5

Prudential Chairman and CEO John R. Strangfeld
John R. Strangfeld

Pros
  • Work/Life balance is good but still depends on what team you belong (in 91 reviews)

• Good benefits package - new employees are still eligible for a pension (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • The work/life balance of sales will drive most to leave within the first few years (in 26 reviews)

• 15 appoiuntments unless is is your personal friends and family (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent career potential

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Prudential

Pros

The large corporate environment has a great deal of potententional. Managers are available to assist and maintain development. Flexible work arrangements and a commitment to improved quality of life generate a more devoted and happy workplace. Compensation is very comparable to the market.

Cons

Movement can be slow at the corporate level, due to the large organizational structure. Because of the PTO policy, most staff come to work when sick rather than forfeiting a PTO day which combines sick & vacation days. Annual reviews are looked at as a task rather than as a process to improve the employee, or recognize a job well done.

Create a sick day policy. Recognize top talent and reward/promote quickly. Perform reviews more than once annually.

Actuarial Summer Intern

Former Employee - Actuarial Intern in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Actuarial Intern in Hartford, CT

I worked at Prudential as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I had a lot of support and there was plenty of interesting work. The people were also great and I attended a few outings.

Cons

It was only for the summer.

Pru State of Work

Current Employee - IT Manager
    Current Employee - IT Manager

I have been working at Prudential full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Ok so far. Not the greatest but it's a lot better that most others i have worked for in the past. Good vacation package, Decent compensentation and Flexible work arrangements depending on your direct Manager

Cons

Getting the deserved promotion can be tasking if you are not political enough or always towing to your managers.

Do a better job at giving opportunities for career development and promotions to deserving staff.

Great company to work for

I have been working at Prudential

Pros

Respectful environment, fair compensation, good benefits

Cons

Can't think of any right now

great company

I have been working at Prudential

Pros

-Everyone is very nice, friendly, wants you to succeed
    -Many opportunities for growth
    -Very diverse
    -Great cafeteria with reasonable prices
    -Security parking, buses between buildings and train station

Cons

-I can't think of any t the moment

Great place to work

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dresher, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dresher, PA

I worked at Prudential full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, professional atmosphere. Helpful people and personal accountability.

Cons

Mostly big corporate stuff...Cliques, secrets, may sometimes feel like a machine cog. Chance at poor local management.

None.

Beware

Current Employee - Financial Professional
    Current Employee - Financial Professional

I have been working at Prudential full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company.
    Great benefits.
    Lots of perks and it can be a good place.

Cons

They screwed a lot of newer agents with a contract change in the middle of their current one to go statutory sooner than what they signed for. If you are new to being a financial advisor the first few years are crucial and you're not making a lot of money. Having the rug pulled from under you to get the privilege of paying for a cube and your E&O way sooner than you can afford to. I can't tell you how many people have left because they end up workin for free, after they have blown up their personal finances.

How about doing more to support and retain your new org. I know there are competitors that start newer people with a small base until you get along in the business. Pru loses good people because they can't afford the job. How about getting better training and licensing. The training is a stupid online training that pertains to next to nothing related to the job, and the in class CDP training is worthless. Better licensing gives your reps better tools and arms them to become better investment and retirement specialists that prudential wants to become. Rather than the minimum licensing to just get them onboard and see what happens if they can make it.

Prudential Response

Jan 26, 2015Social Media Manager

We value the feedback we receive here on Glassdoor. This information is valuable as we assess our processes and programs. If you’d like to discuss more, feel free to email us at ... More

Good company but lacks work/life balance

Current Employee - Project Leader in Scranton, PA
    Current Employee - Project Leader in Scranton, PA

I have been working at Prudential

Pros

Good pay & benefits. They offer a flexible work schedule that make it easy to schedule routine dr appointments that you may otherwise

Cons

No work life balance
    Proper training is not always given

Realize that you are asking too much of employees when you expect to be available 12 hours a day for weeks at a time.

Annuities Call Center

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Dresher, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Dresher, PA

I have been working at Prudential full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good exposure to the wide world of Prudential, variety of tasks keeps every day fresh, flexible scheduling and paid time off for senior team members (i.e. not those staffed to answer phone calls primarily). Limitless possibilities for those with the initiative to drive their own careers...still the best company I've ever worked for!

Cons

Lack of consistent direction from VP of Contact Center, mixed messaging from various levels of leadership. Guidance and leadership varies greatly from one individual manager to the next; rather than various leadership styles there are clear "hits" and "misses."

Morale is talked about as a component of culture, but put your money where your mouth is--give more budget to valuing employees!

Good Company

I worked at Prudential full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Cons. Good work life balance (work from home ability, vacation time, on site daycare, etc)

Cons

Mostly big corporate stuff. Cliques, secrets, may sometimes feel like a machine cog, silo atmosphere at times. Chance at poor local management. A lot of outsourcing occurring over the last 5 years in all business segments (Individual Life, Group Insurance, Annuities).

The company is looking to downsize more and more jobs these days. Seems, the bottom line is the stock price. Do a better job at giving opportunities of career development and promotions to deserving staff.