Prudential Reviews

744 reviews filtered by
3.3
Prudential Chairman and CEO John R. Strangfeld
John R. Strangfeld

Pros
  • Work/Life balance is good but still depends on what team you belong (in 91 reviews)

• Good benefits package - new employees are still eligible for a pension (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • The work/life balance of sales will drive most to leave within the first few years (in 26 reviews)

• 15 appoiuntments unless is is your personal friends and family (in 8 reviews)

1. Good company with great products

Current Employee - Financial Professional
    Current Employee - Financial Professional

I have been working at Prudential

Pros

Freedom, you make your own schedule. Great products to represent to clients. Huge amount of current clients to reach out to and grow your business

Cons

Management styles conflicted with one another. Lack of training when starting out. The work never ends, you are building a business and it can eat away at personal life.

management constantly rolled out new initiatives and focuses but we're rarely followed up on. You waste a lot of time with upper management to keep their schedules full.

2. quantitative developer

I worked at Prudential

Pros

Friendly environment. co-workers are nice and easy to get help when crossing business areas. overall, it is a very good experience working at PRU

Cons

in Newark. limited number of places for lunch and after-hour hand-out. the work itself is not that much challenge and the manager is a bit too stiff.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger

Current Employee - Marketing Associate in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Marketing Associate in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Prudential full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, challenging work, exposure to a broad set of products & services, lots of responsibility

Cons

Management from mid to senior levels offers a lot of lip service, differences of opinion based logic and facts are viewed as personal problems, environment is often hostile and highly political

Someday when you fall out of favor, You too will feel humiliated, depressed, and hurt- until then there is no point in giving you advice since your actions, both hostile and inappropriate, are clear indicators of the behavior you approve.

Mar 27, 2015Senior Staffing Specialist

We appreciate your candid feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, we are interested in hearing from you. Please email us staffing@prudential.com.

Eh...OK place to work with potential to be much, much better.

Former Employee - Prudential Retirement
    Former Employee - Prudential Retirement

I worked at Prudential full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Salaries, Paid Time Off, Flex Hours, Total Benefit package..much better than other financial companies. If that is all you're looking for than this is the company for you. Until they make significant changes in leadership style, this will be a mediocre company. A huge plus is the company is very diverse, offering opportunties for all backgrounds. The leadership team is very capable of leading a successful organzition but they need to tweak their style...see comments below.

Cons

Leadership talks a good game about respect for all associates but most I have interacted with don't even respect each other. In order to get anything accomplished you need to be proficient at office politics. The leadership team (a very friendly bunch) often swings to extremes to address concerns and issues, particulary around the time the employees survey is completed. The focus swings from making a profit regardless of associate impact to doing anything necessary to make associates happy. They need to understand there is a balance the needs to be maintained.

Treat associates as professionals capable of dealing with set backs just as well as they can deal with success. This is not high school, we are all grown up now. Many of your associates have a significant amount of experience and are being under utilized meanwhile there are associates in leadership positions who have no business having the privilege. Take off the blinders! Time to look under the covers and see the potential, some of it has been there for years going unnoticed. Shame on you if you let the talent leave for a competitor. Another suggestion, get the Technology and Business teams on the same page...and don't use a Kumbaya meeting to try and get that done. I do want to thank the Prudential team for the excellent training and serving as a springboard for my career. I will look fondly on my tenure with Pru, the partnerships I made, and the knowledge provided to be successful, unfortunately, at a competitor who "gets it". Good luck to all, I hope you find you way.

Group Insurance---stay away!

I have been working at Prudential full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

pay and benefits are very good. Opportunites for work-life balance (flex time, telecommuting, etc.)

Cons

In the nearly 10 years with this company's Group Insurance, I’ve seen it change from a really great place to work into a mean, dysfunctional and harsh environment. The culture is horrible. Technology is old. GI doesn't treat their employees as their best assets. We are their biggest liabilities. If you don’t agree with “senior leadership” your job is "eliminated". You are walking on eggshells every day. Everyone is stressed out over job security and not having enough people to get the work done. Even if you do a great job the threat of termination is always in the air and you never know which day will be your last. Senior “leaders” are brought in to “fix” things but really make it worse because they sit behind closed doors and have no clue how their departments get the work done--mainly because they never asked and only speak to their peers. They are very skilled though at creating disgruntled & stressed out employees. They can’t seem to make up their minds on how to run the business and make some money. When things go wrong everyone starts finger pointing until they can find a scape goat. People are fed up and would leave in a New York minute. Morale is in the gutter. And if your over 40 years old don’t even think about working there or lasting too long. They are purging all of the long term (older) employees by kicking them to the curb. All in all if your looking to add a great company name to your resume, stop by for a few years but get out quickly before they crush your soul.

talk to your people and PLEASE leave HR out of the discussion. Why are they in every staff meeting????

Work life balance

I have been working at Prudential

Pros

Unlike most companies, Pru really commits to making sure their employees have a work life balance. They also give time to train their employees well. Prudential is committed to their employees growth.

Cons

Benefits aren't the best and the bonus could better.

8. Professional sales Associate

Former Employee - Financial Professional Associate in Chalfont, PA
    Former Employee - Financial Professional Associate in Chalfont, PA

I worked at Prudential full-time (less than a year)

Pros

excellent training, Chance to get sponsored for licenses, great support

Cons

100% commission, tough to get started

N/A

9. Great working experience, good salary

Current Employee - Senior Actuarial Associate in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Actuarial Associate in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Prudential

Pros

company culture - everybody is very supportive and friendly
    benefit
    work-life balance

Cons

location
    bonus can be small compared to other financial firms

don't really have any advice to the management

Under appreciated, over worked

I have been working at Prudential

Pros

PTO, good skills learned, company values

Cons

micro managed, don't look at the whole picture, basically forced into working overtime
    rude managers

have a different way to evaluate your employees and consider hard work that has been done

Mar 24, 2015Senior Staffing Specialist

We appreciate your candid feedback. We encourage you to email us at staffing@prudential.com so that we can refer you to someone who will be able to address your concerns.

11. Nothing like I expected. :(

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Prudential

Pros

Fun environment (depends on who you work with) and you learn a lot

Cons

Not much. They were pretty cool about everything/.

Stop trying to get everyone to do sales and make commission forever. It sucks.

Mar 23, 2015Senior Staffing Specialist

We appreciate your honest feedback. If you’d like to discuss more, feel free to email us at staffing@prudential.com