Prudential

www.prudential.com
  www.prudential.com

Prudential Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2010's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.
3.5

Prudential Chairman and CEO John R. Strangfeld
John R. Strangfeld

Pros
  • Work/Life balance is good but still depends on what team you belong (in 91 reviews)

• Good benefits package - new employees are still eligible for a pension (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • The work/life balance of sales will drive most to leave within the first few years (in 26 reviews)

• 15 appoiuntments unless is is your personal friends and family (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Prudential not a bad place to start.

Current Employee - Financial Service Associate in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Financial Service Associate in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Prudential

Pros

Prudential and its managers give you many different resources to succeed. If you are willing to follow there advice and put in the hours you will enjoy working here. The work environment is very professional. Prudential offers some of the best products in the market so you are selling products you believe in.

Cons

You have to be willing to chase people around. The first couple of years are very hard and you are going to feel under payed. You have to be able to deal with rejection on a daily bases. To find sales you have to be willing to drive all over NC and SC.

Working environment in Charlotte NC is one of the best in the company.

Technophobic

Current Employee - Information Technology in Scranton, PA
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Scranton, PA

I have been working at Prudential

Pros

Fair pay, flexible work schedules in most departments and pretty good benefits. There is a big emphasis on diversity and work, life balance.

Cons

Senior Management, and much of Middle Management are very fearful, distrustful and ignorant of technology. For years it has been seen as a necessary evil, and only embraced when it could offer more metrics. Technology to make the work more efficient, easier or faster takes a back seat to 'what reports can I get out of it?" The technology departments are also being gutted. Layoffs have stripped IT departments of most of their experience.

Spend more time opening lines of communication across and within offices. Listen to your people, not your Veepees and Directors. The EOS is only reflecting what those who still care have to say. All those middle of the road answers reflect people who don't think you care.

pru is ok

Former Employee - Financial Rpt Associate in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Financial Rpt Associate in Newark, NJ

I worked at Prudential

Pros

benefits, tuition reimbursement, flexibility, rotational program

Cons

manager feedback at the last minute, slow growth potential

be fair to rotational associates

Senior Analyst at PMCC (commercial real estate lending)

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Vienna, VA

I worked at Prudential

Pros

You learn a tremendous amount in a fairly short time. They are dedicated to training their employees and helping you achieve future goals.

Cons

Working for a large public corporation makes it difficult to work "outside the box". You will be constantly held in check by your superiors.

I wish they would allow for more personal input from their employees and would create a more open line of communication.

A company that offers a lifelong career and flexibility, but lacks in pay.

Current Employee - Senior Associate, Compliance in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Associate, Compliance in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Prudential

Pros

-great work/life balance
    -most of the senior team in my department have been with the company 10, 15, 20+ years, in many different areas of the business; that shows me unlimited potential for growth within this company

Cons

-they don't make it a secret that the pay is mid-range; I earn much less than my peers at other companies

-this company isn't doing nearly as bad as many of the other finance/insurance companies on the market, they should pay their employees better

fsa

I have been working at Prudential

Pros

A pro to working at prudential would be that they take their training program seriously, they help you out alot

Cons

Hard to respect some of the managers since most of the financial services associates have more licenses than the manageres

If you dont have many options its definitely a great place to work. However I would recommend something else. Women do real well there

Decent job if you know a ton of people that will sign up for financial services with you right off the bat.

Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in Irvine, CA

I worked at Prudential

Pros

Staff very friendly, pay for licensing, nice office. Good job training, good preparation for financial testing. All tools provided to you.

Cons

Pay is very minimal initially. Very hard to live on this income. Also, very hard to survive during ramp-up period unless you have a huge list of probably clients already prepared and prepped.

Pay more initially, during ramp up period. The pay is so minimal that its very difficult to even get by, pay bills, rent, etc.

Decent Place to start your career.

Current Employee - Financial Services Associate in Marlton, NJ
    Current Employee - Financial Services Associate in Marlton, NJ

I have been working at Prudential

Pros

Great training program for their financial services rep.'s
    1st yr. salary while in training is good compared to other companies

Cons

sales meetings every morning can be non productive
    long hours wo make quota's
    if you miss your monthly quota two times in a roll you are fired

You would do better in retaining your talent if you give them some flexibility in quota's at least within the training periods. Also, the company have such a large client base you should give a little more lead support to new rep's coming in. The phonebook cold calling really is'nt effective and it alienated new rep's trying to learn the business and present themselves as professionals.

Great job for someone who is self motivated.

Current Employee - Realtor in Friendswood, TX
    Current Employee - Realtor in Friendswood, TX

I have been working at Prudential

Pros

Self-employed with time off. You can start work anytime you want to and have plenty of time for your family.

Cons

Houses do not sell and you put a lot of work into the job. Then you make nothing.

Great leadership

Be prepared to starve for a while before your career takes off...

Current Employee - Financial Services Associate in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Financial Services Associate in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Prudential

Pros

Flexible schedule, uncapped earning potential, great products.. and a lot of intercompay support. (i.e., experts in annuities, life insurance, or benefits packages that can analyze cases and help you make recommendations).

Cons

When they recruited me they showed me a brochure that said my "potential first year compensation" was $69,000. Ha! Let me tell you.. no matter how good you are, NO ONE makes that much in their first year. Most of the agents I've talked to made between 30 and 40 their first year. Plenty of the older agents make bank, but you have to be prepared to struggle for a while. Make sure that you have enough saved up (or a spouse) to help you keep afloat when you begin. Also, you have to have a natural market. You'll be asked to come up with a list of 200 people you know who you could potentially sell to, and believe me, they will make you call EVERY SINGLE ONE of those people. It was embarrassing for me. The good news is that as you gain experience, you start to realize that you really can help these people-- Prudential's products are first class-- and you stop feeling like a pushy, aggressive, salesperson.

Give the beginners a better lead program. Not everyone has relatives/neighbors/huge networks to sell to.