Prudential
www.prudential.com Newark, NJ 5000+ Employees

Prudential Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Prudential Chairman and CEO John R. Strangfeld Jr.

John R. Strangfeld Jr.

Pros:
  • "Good work life balance but subject to business unit and manager"
    in 68 reviews
  • "Good benefits that many companies do not offer"
    in 32 reviews
Cons:
  • "The work/life balance of sales will drive most to leave within the first few years"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Senior management basically has gone number 2 all over the bed"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Nearly Impossible to stay for long

Financial Professional Associate (Former Employee)
Irving, TX

ProsFreedom ove your schedule

Conslow pay, no salary (100% commission), no support, little training, no strong management, old fashioned company (ie. I couldn't scan documents to clients, which made things very inconvenient & impossible sometimes)

Advice to Senior ManagementManager MUST have the ability to perform well. One out of seven managers in my office was proficient at his job. After working there for two years it became obvious that if you were a minority at Prudential then you would get promoted regardless of your level of talent. This affected the entire sales team because the managers didn't know how to manage. Though well-intentioned and nice people their strong suites were definitely somewhere else. That's why I left. It was impossible to progress in my career if no one around me knew how to show me the steps to get there.

Prudential A Place You Don't Want To Be

Settlement Options Processor (Former Employee)
Newark, NJ

I worked at Prudential full-time for more than a year

ProsPrudential provides a good benefits package including health insurance, vacation pay and the opportunity to work from home when you don't feel like working in an unsanitary office.

ConsI was horribly surprised with my experience working at Prudential. I found a work environment filled with people who had worked there for many years and seemed satisfied to just go through the motions of their job. There were people there who actually fought change and modernization of processes. Executives seemed to be oblivious to the details of the processing of various insurance transactions and seemed more interested in their own careers and advancement. I honestly never felt as if my vice president gave a hoot about me or my career. The other thing that really surprised me was how poor the work environment was maintained. My floor had rodents running around during business hours. We started pulling out drawers from unoccupied desks and found all sorts of debris and rodent nests. We finally got management to set traps and started to set our own. The other thing we had to deal with was moldy carpeting that I was told had been moldy for 20+ years. Employees complained about outbreaks of rashes. There also had been approximately 12 current and former employees from our floor who were diagnosed with all sorts of cancers. After complaints management refused to replace the carpeting. All of this creeped me out and I found another job elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a genuine interest in your lower level employee's jobs and work environment and worry less about your own career and your big bonuses.

Consider all other options!!

Financial Professional (Former Employee)
Champaign, IL

I worked at Prudential full-time for more than a year

ProsI got myself licensed so I can work for another company!

ConsThey use your friends and family as their only marketing campaign! They don't give the training that they claim. They are less than honest about the job description!! All you end up doing is writing out personal checks to Prudential, and never receive one for the work you do!

Advice to Senior ManagementActually provide training to your New People!! Not empty promises! Put trustworthy people in charge that actually care about the outcome of their employees and not themselves!!

Worst company I have ever worked for

Investment Analyst (Former Employee)
Newark, NJ

I worked at Prudential full-time

ProsYou get a bigger bonus working in Investment Management though its chump change compared to the amount of work you put in and the responsibilities you have.

ConsI don't ever write reviews as I've worked at Bank of America and thought that was a very political environment but Prudential takes the cake. You are overworked, underpaid, not appreciated as a person and at the end of the day it doesn't matter how good of a job you do, if someone doesn't like you, they will fire you. It was the worst experience of my life working there, but I powered through everyday and put a smile on my face.

People who work there are the ones who culturally don't fit anywhere else. They are the socially awkward people you ignored/made fun of in school. Total opposite of Wall Street culture. They do not give employees phones or pay for your phone bill but expect you to have office email app downloaded on your phone and respond to emails at all times. All the equipment is from the 1950's. You can't even go back to see the telephone number of missed calls. How they invest in equipment is an example of how they invest in its people. They don't. They get you in for the cheapest amount and throw you out when they're done.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the young people coming in if you want to bring some innovation to your outdated company. That's why everyone uses you as a stepping-stone and never stays.

Fantasy and Fraud

Financial Professional Associate (Former Employee)
Shelton, CT

I worked at Prudential full-time for less than a year

ProsFree parking at select locations.

ConsToo numerous to list beyond the deceptive "Career Development Program" that benefits the agency to the crippling disadvantage of the advisor. This is an excellent category to discuss the Cons, many of whom are in sales management. If you find yourself in a room with these people, look for an easy and quick exit. There are far better firms to experience. This one lives off its agents through unsanctioned corporate fees (who pays to be appointed by his own firm?) and empty promises about marketing support.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo you ever audit the workplace practices of the agencies? Take a very careful look at the MD in Shelton.

Group Insurance's Project Management is very poorly run

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee)
Roseland, NJ

I have been working at Prudential full-time for more than a year

Pros* Good pay & flex time for both contractor & employee
* Employees have good benefits
* Nice building and campus
.... wish I had more...

Cons* big on baptism by fire (very little new hire orientation or intro to resources)
* LOTS OF POLITICS - if from Medco or MetLife then you are safe
* appears every few years many are let go (2008, 2011, 2014)
* Issues started in early 2013 (prior 2 years were fine):
** very quick to fire PMs (let some very good people go over small issues)
** projects are not career building
** upper Project Management is NOT respectful towards their teammates
** upper Project Management presses process that don't work (i.e. Guard-rails)

Go somewhere else unless you are entry level or need big company name or experience on CV.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease take note of upper Project Management's practices & institute best practices. Stopping the politics & revolving hire & fire policy. Dresher, PA is impacting Roseland, NJ.

Potential spoiled by poor management with no consideration for employees, brutal atmosphere, and no work/life balance.

Hartford, CT

I have been working at Prudential full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere are some great people working within Prudential. As a company there are great products and offerings.

ConsThere's no care for the personal well-being of employees. Great opportunities turn into miserable situations.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart paying attention to the people who are actually doing the work, stop focusing on the high management club. You have a great staff, however if the climate continues... they won't stay and endure the treatment they are undeserving of.

Horrible.

I worked at Prudential

ProsCommission structure was decent, and that's it.

ConsThe management is pure money hungry and don't care about the clients well being, just the pay out.

Masochistic? This might be the place

I worked at Prudential

ProsThe "enterprise" of prudential is very reputable. Brand is strong and products are very competitive and innovative

ConsThere is a section of prudential known as agency distribution. It's what most of the common everyday clients of prudential see and know.....and it is evil

The average financial professional there doesn't make more than 40k and has to work no less than 60 hours a week and put some 30k in unreimbursed mileage on their cars driving everywhere to see clients.

And the newest of those don't make squat, really they don't pay them at all...nothing for up to 6 months in some cases. So what happens is that quality people with unique talents that actually know something about financial products and could actually help a client won't work for this company because why work for free or for less than a livable wage if you survive the no pay 6 month challenge.

So instead individuals that should never be advising a client about any type of financial services or products take up these jobs and frankly your refrigerator water filter will last longer than 70% of them because they are hopelessly lost.
So the next time you replace your filter just know that probably 700 people nationwide have become a fully licensed financial professional with little or no pay and failed BECAUSE if you work a job as complex and intense as this one you NEED to be paid and trained and given a chance to learn how to master a very important and serious profession.

What you won't see or know until it's too late:
You pay for licensing
You pay for gas (as noted above)
You pay for marketing
You pay for insurance to protect yourself ( but really its a juicy target for an angry client once the company hangs you out to dry)
You pay for office space (rent)
You work from 9-9 most weekdays and sometimes weekends
You are treated like on unwanted child by management and operations staff
You have responsibilities far above that of any similarly compensated person in the world
You only get major religious holidays
You are expected to write statements for every mistake and meet with 3 people about the same mistake
You will be hounded day and night by no less than 3 bosses

And you MIGHT make 40,000 a year.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing, you didn't listen while I was employed there doubt a glassdoor review will change anything.

Client service

I worked at Prudential full-time for less than a year

ProsNone to speak of, nothing positive

ConsVery poor execution on developing new talent. Too many managers and titles. It's their tipping point as a company. Very insular.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider the perspective of the individuals that fill the roles.

Worked for Prudential? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Prudential reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Prudential CEO John R. Strangfeld Jr. All 544 reviews posted anonymously by Prudential employees.