Prudential Reviews

1. i need a new job

Current Employee - Financial Services Associate
    Current Employee - Financial Services Associate

I have been working at Prudential

Pros

the best resons would be the pay package..

Cons

sales are hard ansd u dont get any leads..

Advice to Management

try to be more approachable

If you like a stable job with great benefits and not so good salary...Prudential is the place for you.

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Prudential

Pros

OPPURTUNITIES. Like other companies you don't have to switch companies if you are bored fo doing what you are doing and want something new. There are endless oppurtunities within Prudential

Cons

You do get lost in the crowd due to the size of the company. Lot of competition.

Advice to Management

NONE.

3. Surviving during very tough economic times.

Current Employee - Systems Architect
    Current Employee - Systems Architect

I have been working at Prudential

Pros

Compensation (i.e. bonus) & Benefits (i.e. Health, Paid-Time-Off (PTO))

Cons

Lack of or unknown clear path to advancement. Technical expertise is not rewarded as a 'career path' therefore very technically component individuals remain in the same job titles for years.

Advice to Management

Devise a technical career path; recognize & reward for proficient expertise.

If you are looking for a career, consider Pru, great benefits, big on training and a work-life blce is possible

Current Employee - Senior Associate, Actuarial in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Associate, Actuarial in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Prudential

Pros

Prudential is great at investing on your future development. Under this economic conditions it is very hard to still find companies that offer good benefits, professional growth and work -life balance. It is true that each business has a different culture and it depends where are you at. In my experience, the culture has a lot to do with how happy you are at work. In my current division they foster professional growth, it's all in your hands and what you want to make out of it is all in yr hands. Senior Management shares what is going on in the market and within the company. Tuition reimbursement is part of the benefits too. Pru has set in place recognition programs that foster a great work environment and promote recognition within peers. The compensation may not be as high at the beginning, bu as you gain experience and get more credentials, more doors will open for you and you'll get more money. Also, the work /balance that they offer is a big plus. I feel that Pru really cares about employees and helps communities all over. Newark will be something very different if Pru wouldn't be there. All in all, I love working for a company that does so much good to the community.

Cons

The pay can be lower at entry-level. Some of the Managers/Directors lack managing experience, so in general they are not the best managing. As I said before it depends of the location and the culture.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what is right, delegate managing people to Managers/Directors that can handle it. Not everyone is cut to do that job.

Solid but Stodgy

Current Employee - Instructional Designer in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Instructional Designer in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Prudential

Pros

Solid employer, very diverse work force of qualified people. Strong support of GLTG. Good benefits, impressive senior leaders. Great name recognition and history. Focus on ethical behavior and helping people.

Cons

Too many 'POGs' (Prudential Old Guard) who worked here since they entered the workforce. They don't want things to change. Primary focus for most middle managers and above is politics. Everything else is secondary to protecting your turf and plotting advancement. Responsibility spread over several departments. Nearly impossible to get something done quickly. Reluctant to try new things. Compliance department strangles innovation.

Advice to Management

Shake things up and try something new. Remove managers who refuse to follow procedure.

Prudential is one of the best places to work!

Current Employee - Vice President in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Vice President in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Prudential

Pros

I have been with Prudential 25 years now in a variety of different roles and business groups. Prudential has an enormous amount of opportunities for the hard-working, qualified, and motivated employees. If you are not satisfied with Pru it is likely your own fault and you should look within yourself and your job performance. Unfortunately too many people today feel a sense of entitlement - grow up! You aren't entitled to anything you don't work hard for. And, if you are unfortunate enough to work for management who doesn't recognize your hard efforts - post out! Another wonderful Prudential benefit is the job posting board - you are eligible to post after you have been in an assignment for at least a year. You are the only one who has control over your career. Prudential has personally offered me many growth and diversified opportunities. I climbed the "ladder" so to speak through hard work, dedication and motivation and not for any other reason. If I was ever in an area where I didn't respect management I took ownership of my career and posted out. Prudential also offers one of the best work-life balance programs a company can offer to employees. There are so many flexible working options offered to the high performers, which is one of the top reasons I stay with the company - it is a priceless benefit to have.

Cons

Lack of consistency between management. I have observed management across lines of business are not consistent with how they manage people. Some areas fully support benefits such as work/life balance and others do not even consider it. Same with compensation. Prudential has a very generous compensation plan. We are all highly paid for what we do. The decisions on compensation, however, are very subjective and inconsistent strategies are used in the varying HR departments. Being in management I think I also have a right to say that too many managers ignore employee issues and do not take the courage to confront the issues and help empoyees grow. For a company that his cutting back so significantly on bonuses and comp they should really be getting rid of all the dead weight. Get a "set" and show us your true leadership.

Advice to Management

See above.

Let's get our stock price back up to 95!

Current Employee - Analyst in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Analyst in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Prudential

Pros

Diversity and work/life balance is emphasized greatly. Free parking and a ton of vaction days are granted each year. commuting to the Newark offices is very easy and connected through Penn Station Newark. Prudential fosters internal growth for all employees. Many of the current executives and "higher-ups" have started from the bottem and worked their way to the top. Educaiton and hard work is essential to succeed at Prudential for laziness is exposed very easiely. Tuition reimbursement is also another great benefit offered to employees and Rutgers is walking distance. Also, the new Prudential center is directly across the street and makes a good night out for events.

Cons

Salary and bonus is low compared to other financial fimrs

Advice to Management

Pay more!

Classic example of corporate America. Acceptable, but not exceptional.

Current Employee - Senior Copywriting Specialist in Roseland, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Copywriting Specialist in Roseland, NJ

I have been working at Prudential

Pros

Solid financial company prepared to weather difficult times. Formal programs for time off and work life balance. No drama, calm personalities working in a professional manner. Company provides a wide range of good voluntary benefits. There is an environment of respect among peers and from managers to subordinates. There is open communications from senior management regarding the state of the business. Is an innovator in terms of adapting new technologies and streamlining the way business is conducted. Efforts are being made to remove the jargon and unfrienfly language from the company communications. HR support is available if needed and provided in confidence.

Cons

Leadership examples do not reinforce the time off and work-life balance programs. Even though the written policies emphasize the importance of work-life balance, the examples set by many managers tend to discourage people from taking advantage of the policies. Lack of clear direction from middle management. Projects are often begun with insufficient and even inaccurate information. Too much emphasis is placed on meeting deadlines versus actually having all the information to execute well. A high degree of siloing makes it hard to get the big picture view of a project. There is an unspoken push to have people take on too many projects and agree to unreasonable deadlines.

Advice to Management

Instruct middle managers to actively support time off and work-life balance policies. Clarify the goal of projects before they begin. Provide accurate information on the execution of the projects.

10. Small piece of the rock

Current Employee - Vice President
    Current Employee - Vice President

I have been working at Prudential

Pros

Company name recognition is terrific

Cons

compensation is lacking compared to other financial services firmss

Advice to Management

pay attention to the employee surveys you make us fill out and demand 100% participation

11. Interesting to compare.

Current Employee - Manager Information Systems in Dresher, PA
    Current Employee - Manager Information Systems in Dresher, PA

I have been working at Prudential

Pros

They make you proud to achive success.

Cons

A lot of work still need to be done and resources are flat.

Advice to Management

Trust your staff and allow them to continue to provide solid performances.

RSS Feed </> Embed