Prudential Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014

3.4

Prudential Chairman and CEO John R. Strangfeld
John R. Strangfeld

Pros
  • Work/Life balance is good but still depends on what team you belong (in 80 reviews)

• Good benefits package - new employees are still eligible for a pension (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • The work/life balance of sales will drive most to leave within the first few years (in 23 reviews)

• 15 appoiuntments unless is is your personal friends and family (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall a good place to work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Shelton, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shelton, CT

I worked at Prudential full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company is big on recognizing and supporting diversity in all it forms -- race, religion, ethnicity, career experiences, sexual orientation, etc. Diversity is supported by all levels of management, from supervisors to senior leaders. The company also provides a good deal of benefits, beyond the typical healthcare plan, such as a 401K, pension plan, a robust employee discount program for a multitude of commercially available products (e.g. cell phone companies), etc.
    Management is very conscientious about treating employees fairly and making the company a good place to work. Little things like, free tea and coffee, which are available all day (self-serve) in the kitchenette areas located on every floor. They even provide self-serve medicine cabinets on every floor, stocked with over-the-counter meds such as Tylenol, Ibuprofen, cough drops, throat lozenges, etc. They are also flexible and supportive of moms with young kids. For example, they provide lactating rooms for moms who are breastfeeding, will work with you to come up with flexible hours, and even support temporary part-time arrangements.
    Operationally the company is very structured. I guess they have to be due to all the regulatory oversight imposed on large financial institutions. The structure is great if you like work environments with highly defined roles and responsibilities, though entrepreneurial types might find the environment overly restrictive, with little to no latitude for making discretionary job related decisions.
    My biggest cultural observation is that nearly all matters and business considerations (large and small) require cross-functional agreement before they can move forward. On the plus side this drives cross-functional unity and quality decisions that aren't questioned or blocked late in a process. There is also a down side, though. See discussion under Cons.
    Compensation can be regarded as competitive when viewed from the perspective of the total package (healthcare, salary, paid time off, tuition reimbursement, other perks), but don't expect the company to be at the top of the leader-curve with respect to salary alone.

Cons

The need to get cross-functional decision making buy-in from multiple groups/functions can be time consuming and frustrating. Allow very long lead times for any decisions required to move forward, as team reviews, changes, and re-reviews can take awhile.
    There is no clear path for advancement. Many people I spoke with made what I perceived to be a disproportionate number of cross-functional lateral moves versus upward job changes. The company encourages lateral movement as it makes for more rounded, valued employees. Great for the company, but is it in the best interest of the individual?
    The company has a CYA culture. You must keep every email to support the many challenges you'll receive about who said what, when.

Provide more assistance in helping employees define and pursue a path for advancement within the company.

Your experience will vary.

Current Employee - Director  in  Woodbridge, NJ
    Current Employee - Director in Woodbridge, NJ

I have been working at Prudential full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good benefits package - new employees are still eligible for a pension. Many people can find a good work life balance. If you need to work long hours on a project, you can usually do it from home.

Cons

Highly controlled environment tends to stifle quick solutions and creativity. Difficult to move between departments.

Allow employees more flexibility to use outside, internet, tools to perform their job.

Great overall company, but depending on what group and organization you are in, growth could be limited.

Current Employee - Investment Analyst  in  Roseland, NJ
    Current Employee - Investment Analyst in Roseland, NJ

I have been working at Prudential full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Good pay
    - Flexibility
    - Promotes talent internally

Cons

- Certain areas are stifled in terms of growth, which trickles down to the employees within that group.
    - A little too much status is given to higher ups.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work

Former Employee - Business Analyst  in  Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Newark, NJ

I worked at Prudential full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good pay; flexible hours; tuition reimbursement as soon as you start; good location; company provides a lot of training opportunities

Cons

it depends on what department you get into; some departments are not open to change and this can sometimes cause conflict; not all departments participate in the flex schedule.

Amazing experience, learned a lot.

Current Employee - Retirement Marketing  in  Woodbridge, NJ
    Current Employee - Retirement Marketing in Woodbridge, NJ

I have been working at Prudential as an intern for more than a year

Pros

New, fun projects. Gets rigorous after a few weeks. But stays very fun

Cons

A lot of free time. At least an hour a day in the beginning.

Great People, Terrible Company

Former Employee - Financial Professional
    Former Employee - Financial Professional

I worked at Prudential full-time

Pros

The benefits offered are great, and most of the people you meet are warm and caring.

Cons

They are the absolute -kings- of failed bureaucracy. Anything you have to go through the home office for -will- be inevitably screwed up. If I had a nickel for every time I was told one thing on the phone just to have it completely contradicted, I would never have to work again. This includes, most egregiously, the amount and timing of paychecks.

Give performance reviews to the mouth breathers you have

Fair- good benefits too many politics

Former Employee - Executive Assistant  in  Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Newark, NJ

I worked at Prudential full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great salary and benefits. Convenient location in two gateway center.

Cons

work-life balance, very political, as an EA you are on call 24/7.

Don't tell allow outside politics to enter the work place. I had a fellow secretary try to tell me I HAD to be a republican because that is what everyone else was.

If you have a conscious, don't come here to work

I have been working at Prudential

Pros

Unlimited commissions, and an opportunity to offer people financial stability in the time of a loss

Cons

They will not b e honest about the investment you need to make to get started. Once you pay for a license, then they will tell you you need to pay them more money in order to sell that product in that state. If you have a lead that is not a core product from Prudential, do not expect any help from management.

restructure

HORRIBLE COMPANY

Current Employee - LTD Disability
    Current Employee - LTD Disability

I have been working at Prudential full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

NONE unless you are a complete suck up or your friends/parents work there

Cons

low wages, massive favoritism, hostile work environment, management very abusive and retaliatory. high turn over

the CEO need to listen to the employees on the floor and get rid of the horrible management including directors and VPs

Prudential, Outsiders Not Welcome

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at Prudential full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits package, good brand recognition, good products, cost of doing business is low compared to the market.

Cons

Becoming "Prudentialized" is nearly impossible. When I first make the switch from my previous firm to Prudential I had a lot of people tell me good luck becoming "Prudentialized" I shook it off and charged ahead. 2 years later I understand. This company is great if you have been around for 20+ years, which most of upper management have been, but for those in management positions that are new it is extremely difficult. There is very poor support for those managers and Financial Professionals (sales) in the field so you are forced to learn everything the hard way. Even if you have very strong local management you are still going to struggle due to the poor support given at the corporate level. No wonder our top producers are just above average at other companies in our industry. In addition if you are in a sales management role the HR and Compliance Dept. run wild. The level of scrutiny that Prudential puts on background checks for new hires is over the top. Asking a 55 year old who has a college degree to find his/her high school diploma to prove they graduated is an example of how ridiculous the HR dept. is. Finally, Prudential talks a lot about diversity and inclusion but do very little at the local level to actually support it. Try to find good marketing material in any language other then english, its not going to happen!! Ive learned a lot in my time at Pru, more about what I dont want from a company then what I do want.

Stop living in the past, look forward and get out of your own way. Allow more outside opinions and insight in, there are a lot of current employees that are willing and ready to share their experiences and insight but do not because you do not listen or care to hear. You are/will be left behind as the industry adapts while you are stuck in the past. Let your sales people be sales people and get out of their way. Keep producing the great products you have and continue to provide good benefits. Finally, get your HR and Compliance teams under control. You will never have a great distribution channel through AD until that happens.

Worked for Prudential? Contribute to the Community!