Prudential

www.prudential.com
Employer Engaged

Retention Representative

I worked at Prudential

Pros

Benefits, Leadership, work-life balance,company values.

Cons

No advancement opportunities, personal growth, perks.

Compensation.

Great company that works hard to cultivate leaders

Current Employee - Public Relations Specialist in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Public Relations Specialist in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Prudential

Pros

Professional development opportunities encouraged, competitive pay, and managers that are truly invested in the success of their direct reports. Culture seems to be work hard, play harder.

Cons

Have noticed some office politics, but that's at any company.

Continue cultivating leaders at lower management.

Having An Awful Experience With The Individual Life Insurance Business Unit

I have been working at Prudential full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Prudential offers a good benefit package including health insurance and paid time off. My business unit also allowed us to "work" from home which makes it easy to do chores around the house and take care of doctor and car appointments without having to use up paid vacation time.

Cons

I find the individual life insurance business unit to be a poorly run division within Prudential. The unit is constantly tweaking the life products only to keep brokers interested in selling the product. Products are often so complicated the people selling them and the customes buying them don't understand them. It is very rare that a product's functionality is programmed into the administration system. Upper management keeps busy by forming special teams of staff who are charged with tasks that sound good in principle but almost always go nowhere. The best one had over 150 employees spend 18 months developing ideas to improve things like talent sourcing or succession planning. The teams spent so much time tweaking power point presentations that basically said little and presented their simple ideas to the very top management. After the teams did their presentations the teams were disbanded and nothing ever became of the work done. Just turned out to be a huge huge waste of time! Work environment is also surprisingly poor. We routinely have rodents running around our floor. As a result I no longer eat in the cafeteria which is located in the basement of my building. I can only imagine the size of the rodents down there!

Stop with the silly special teams. You never give the teams a full explanation of what you are looking for and then you never act on the work they do. Also, get rid of the rodents!!!

Jan 22, 2015Social Media Manager

We appreciate your candid feedback. If you would like to discuss this further we are interested in hearing from you. Please email us staffing@prudential.com.

Good company, managerial problems in Group Insurance Division

I have been working at Prudential full-time (more than a year)

Pros

People are respectful and the complex (in Roseland, NJ) is a good place to work (gym, nurse, cafeteria). New CEO is excellent but much of the middle management needs to go or change.

Cons

Group Insurance is in the middle of a turnaround so morale is pretty low and there is substantial back stabbing. Management is trying to change the culture but there is a lot of resistance and people are so worried about saving their own skins that some of the programs that could help things are not succeeding. It's really become a miserable place to be overall.

Think from an employee's level and minimize the endless sea of messages coming out.

Jan 5, 2015Social Media Manager

We appreciate your candid review. If you would like to discuss this further we are interested in hearing from you. Please email us at staffing@prudential.com.

Nice place to work!

Former Employee - Financial Professional Associate in Paramus, NJ
    Former Employee - Financial Professional Associate in Paramus, NJ

I worked at Prudential

Pros

Nice people that you work with.

Cons

100% commission work. You must perform and sell to family and friends first. Loads of pressure.

Be more flexible when personal issues such as illnesses or disabilities arise with your sales staff.

Not a good company.

I worked at Prudential full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good perks, that is about all that is good with Prudential. Working from home is another good thing about working at Prudential.

Cons

Prudential wants to look good in the public eye but really they don't care about their employees. No support from management. Management doesn't like to take risk.

unfair to actuarial staff not in Pru's Actuarial Leadership Development Program

Former Employee - Senior Actuarial Associate in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Actuarial Associate in Newark, NJ

I worked at Prudential

Pros

bonus target is higher than other companies

Cons

treat actuarial staff differently. For the so called 'Actuarial Leadership Development Program' (ALDP), they have 50% more study time, at least 20% more salary and get promotion on exams. These kids don't work over time, study at work and can move to a director level within 3-4 years. However, their "leadership" is not that good. And their tech skills suck. Think about it, during their 12-mth rotation, they have 4 weeks PTO, 2 weeks holidays, 6 weeks study time, how many weeks they can actually work and make a real contribution??

For non ALDP staff, they work hard, study with less support and take a much less salary. This is not fair!

treat staff equally, based on performance, not on the so called "leadership"

Dec 9, 2014Social Media Manager

We appreciate your candid review. If you would like to discuss this further we are interested in hearing from you. Please email us staffing@prudential.com

Needs a more structured training program

I worked at Prudential

Pros

great potential to make a lot of money

Cons

the training program is not very comprehensive

Interesting

I worked at Prudential full-time

Pros

Flexible, open working environment,have great opportunity to learn something new.

Cons

Just a little bit disorganization.

Great company to hone in your financial skills

I worked at Prudential

Pros

teamwork, hard working. classes to improve skils are available

Cons

too much bureaucracy, very long hours with weekends. Commission based and it can fluctuate