Prudential Reviews

Updated April 17, 2015
756 reviews filtered by

Opportunities for Growth

I worked at Prudential full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Worked with Prudential Mortgage Capital Company. Was provided several opportunities to expand my skill above what I was originally hired to do. PMCC looks for opportunities to expand the skill set of its team members.

Cons

Top down driven organization that could benefit from grass roots input.

Advice to Management

Seek opportunities to strengthen the bond between employees. Discover opportunities to enhance employee buy in into the mission.

2. Great company to work for!

I worked at Prudential

Pros

Own Schedule so must be self-motivated!

Cons

100% Commission So Must Work Hard!

Advice to Management

None

PRUDENTIAL SALES: Culture and Compensation Review

Current Employee - Financial Professional
    Current Employee - Financial Professional

I have been working at Prudential full-time

Pros

The job, as a sales producer (i.e. "FP" or "Financial Professional"), offers lots of independence and, IF YOU ARE WELL-CONNECTED offers the theoretical possibility of unlimited compensation. If you are not well-connected, you will have to devote countless hours to prospecting for clients. Sales is a lifestyle, not a job. You are always prospecting. There are numerous trainings and seminars offered. Professional development is good.

Cons

Compensation is exclusively commission-based. You will not get a base-salary. You will also pay for some operational expenses and almost all personal marketing. After two years you will pay an "agency fee" of up to $600/month for your desk. Also, if you are selling insurance primarily (as the vast majority of producers are) expect to have your express commission retracted (taken back) due to denial by underwriters, policy lapses within a 12-month period, or client's failing to follow through with underwriting. The result is that you have to constantly write business to account for the constant loss of commission. Because of this compensation arrangement it is actually possible to leave the company indebted to Prudential. I have seen it happen. Morale is not good because there are lots of producers/brokers who are just scraping by. A trend at the company has been to reduce commission percentages and to limit the number of contracts that give the producer residuals (i.e. recurring annual income from past contracts). Senior producers who have been with the company for years admit that the compensation available to producers has plummeted over the past 20 years. The trend continues. You will always be on the road and new clients are unreliable. Some of these cons are inherent in sales: others, as you can see, are not and are specific to Prudential as a company.

Advice to Management

Supporting sales staff with an ethical compensation package will increase loyalty, morale, and retention. I don't know but my experience suggests that the retention rate among sales-producers at the company is poor. The expectations do not match the compensation. The newer producers (years 1-4) are expected to attend trainings and agency meetings without compensation. This is unpaid labor. It is unethical and negatively affects morale.

Prudential Response

Feb 17, 2015Senior Staffing Specialist

Thank you for your candid feedback. We appreciate the input we receive from our associates. Prudential has a strong commitment to acting ethically. We hope that you have found Prudential to be a safe ... More

5. Analyst

I have been working at Prudential

Pros

Vacation, Tele commute, Start time, location, pension

Cons

Salary, leadership, level playing field, glass ceiling, and training

Excellent career potential

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Prudential

Pros

The large corporate environment has a great deal of potententional. Managers are available to assist and maintain development. Flexible work arrangements and a commitment to improved quality of life generate a more devoted and happy workplace. Compensation is very comparable to the market.

Cons

Movement can be slow at the corporate level, due to the large organizational structure. Because of the PTO policy, most staff come to work when sick rather than forfeiting a PTO day which combines sick & vacation days. Annual reviews are looked at as a task rather than as a process to improve the employee, or recognize a job well done.

Advice to Management

Create a sick day policy. Recognize top talent and reward/promote quickly. Perform reviews more than once annually.

7. Actuarial Summer Intern

Former Intern - Actuarial Intern in Hartford, CT
    Former Intern - Actuarial Intern in Hartford, CT

I worked at Prudential as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I had a lot of support and there was plenty of interesting work. The people were also great and I attended a few outings.

Cons

It was only for the summer.

great company

I have been working at Prudential

Pros

-Everyone is very nice, friendly, wants you to succeed
    -Many opportunities for growth
    -Very diverse
    -Great cafeteria with reasonable prices
    -Security parking, buses between buildings and train station

Cons

-I can't think of any t the moment

Great company to work for

I have been working at Prudential

Pros

Respectful environment, fair compensation, good benefits

Cons

Can't think of any right now

10. Individual goals unrealistic

I worked at Prudential

Pros

Initial formal training program for disability claims examiners was very comprehensive and thorough. They offer opportunity for flexible schedules, including telecommuting on occasion.

Cons

Very aggressive and unattainable metrics, most examiners unable to meet, which means no chance for annual salary increase. Little to no opportunity for growth unless you want to relocate to New Jersey.

Pretty swell, overall.

Current Employee - Proposal Specialist in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Proposal Specialist in Portland, OR

I have been working at Prudential full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Cash money in da bank.

Cons

Insurance is so Lloyds of Londonesque.

Advice to Management

If you want to get to Machu Picchu, you've got to take the Inca Trail. That's a metaphor, but so much more.

...I just learned that you can ride a bus up there. Bummer.