Prudential Reviews in Scranton, PA

3.4

Prudential Chairman and CEO John R. Strangfeld
John R. Strangfeld

Pros
  • Work/Life balance is good but still depends on what team you belong (in 80 reviews)

• Good benefits package - new employees are still eligible for a pension (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • The work/life balance of sales will drive most to leave within the first few years (in 23 reviews)

• 15 appoiuntments unless is is your personal friends and family (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

8 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Scranton, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scranton, PA

I have been working at Prudential full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Coworkers are friendly helpful and really smart

Cons

Structured environment and you work hard

Love the business casual environment and ability to wear jeans on Friday

Good place to learn the financial services industry if you can survive the corporate politics and outsourcing of jobs

Former Employee - Information Security Associate  in  Scranton, PA
    Former Employee - Information Security Associate in Scranton, PA

I worked at Prudential full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Depending on what office location your in, there is plenty of room for you to either grow in your current position or move to another department to learn more. Work life balance is good, but that also depends on who you work for and what department you are in. Support of co-workers is great.

Cons

Senior management is lost. Your expected to do the work of two people. Managers/Directors/VP's constantly change as positions are "eliminated" (employees given severance packages), then backfilled by either a replacement off the street or moving another person internally to the "eliminated" position. This is done mostly because someone doesn't like someone. There is a great deal of favoring work friends by management, meaning if an open position is posted, a managers friend who is not qualified would be offered the position vs someone who was qualified (I've seen this happen so many times). Management will, at times, brush issues that are brought to their attention under the rug vs attempting to correct the problem. There is also a great deal of outsourcing that goes on which makes you wonder if your position will be there the next day (they tend to not let you know it's coming 99% of the time). I survived almost 16 years with the company before I decided it was time for a change (on my own behalf), so a long career can be done with them. Compensation is not the best.

Listen to employees concerns instead of making acronyms related to PRU that no one bothers paying attention to.

Not bad, but...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Scranton, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scranton, PA

I have been working at Prudential full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Plenty of opportunities to work from home, and the Prudential name looks great on your resume. Most of your co-workers are friendly, intelligent and respectful. On-site gym and cafeteria.

Cons

Many of your days are spent in meetings, many on "diversity" and "ethics" training. But, there's no formal work-related training in most departments. People are more interested in asking you about your weekend than asking if you need any help. I have many days where I have done very little, then I'm thrown into a task where I have no direction or idea of what I am to do. Many people have been in the same role for 15+ years and are unwilling to accept change that can benefit the dept. New hires can appear to be a threat, thus the lack of training, in my opinion.

Take a good look at the contributions of those who have been in roles too long. Maybe it's time to bring in people with newer and better ideas. Because, many of them are just flying under the radar, doing very little and collecting a big fat check.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Happy, Excellent place to work

Current Employee - Technology  in  Scranton, PA
    Current Employee - Technology in Scranton, PA

I have been working at Prudential

Pros

Excellent team structure
    Excellent compensation
    Work life balance is incredible
    Great communication between Senior level and entry level employees

Cons

As any IT job, chance to be outsourced
    Opportunity for mid level technology jobs limited

Keep it up!

Trying

Current Employee - Technology Associate  in  Scranton, PA
    Current Employee - Technology Associate in Scranton, PA

I have been working at Prudential

Pros

Great benefits package
    Good Salary
    Focus on Diversity through the company

Cons

Most managers can't lead
    Too much focus on cost.

Stop the layoffs and outsourcing, listen to your people (they've been telling you this in the EOS for years) and enable your managers to lead. Get them out of meetings where nobody can truly make a decision and back into their departments where they can help improve things.

And never, ever, ever force another project down our throats like SA. EVER

Can You Handle Undeserved Stress From Customers AND Management? If so, this Job is for You!

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Scranton, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Scranton, PA

I worked at Prudential

Pros

Sometimes the callers were interesting people and that was always a perk, to speak to someone nice. Benefits, salary for the type of work. Overtime if you wanted it.

Cons

There was not proper training on how to handle our "customers" (people with deferred compensation and deferred benefits plans). Callers were mostly rude, obnoxious, and angry that they lost so much money on their retirement plans. Had to pass two licensing exams to stay past four months. Overtime if you didn't want it.

The title of the job should not be Customer Service Representative, it should be something fitting to what we did at this postition, such as giving information about a companiy's 401k plan and issuing loans. Also, too focused on call quality then actually helping customers, if that makes sense. All but two people remained from my training class of about 16 by the time I was leaving six months in. Treat people better and you will keep them.

Technophobic

Current Employee - Information Technology  in  Scranton, PA
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Scranton, PA

I have been working at Prudential

Pros

Fair pay, flexible work schedules in most departments and pretty good benefits. There is a big emphasis on diversity and work, life balance.

Cons

Senior Management, and much of Middle Management are very fearful, distrustful and ignorant of technology. For years it has been seen as a necessary evil, and only embraced when it could offer more metrics. Technology to make the work more efficient, easier or faster takes a back seat to 'what reports can I get out of it?" The technology departments are also being gutted. Layoffs have stripped IT departments of most of their experience.

Spend more time opening lines of communication across and within offices. Listen to your people, not your Veepees and Directors. The EOS is only reflecting what those who still care have to say. All those middle of the road answers reflect people who don't think you care.

In house corruption and silo rich environment.

Former Employee - Senior Systems Programmer/Analyst  in  Scranton, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Programmer/Analyst in Scranton, PA

I worked at Prudential

Pros

(Scranton, PA). Flexible work schedule. Benefit Plan.

Cons

(Scranton, PA). Managerial corruption and dishonest metric practices. As an employee, I was repeatedly asked to change quantitative results produced by tested repeatable processes. These results were used to gauge performance of teams and customer feedback.
    Not rewarded based on performance. Its not how well you worked or any type of quantitative, quality of output that dictated your bonus at the end of the year. It was based off of who you knew and your associations outside of work.

(Scranton, PA). Clean House in this office. Before it is to late.

Worked for Prudential? Contribute to the Community!