Psion Teklogix

RF Systems

Former Employee - Sales  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Sales in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Psion Teklogix full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It was great company to work. I made a bad decision when I was recruited away. Teklogix technology was far superior to iits competitors

Cons

There are not many cons. We were the higher priced solution so we never win if it came down to a price battle

The management was great offered a lot of support

No longer exists

I worked at Psion Teklogix full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Motorola Solutions bought them out.

Cons

Motorola Solutions moved 90% of the operations out of America.

Psion before Motorola

Current Employee - Accountant  in  Erlanger, KY
    Current Employee - Accountant in Erlanger, KY

I have been working at Psion Teklogix full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Loved working with my co-workers

Cons

Upper management had no love loss for their employees. John Conley was fond of saying "If you don't like it, theres the door."

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Time is running Out

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Psion Teklogix

Pros

Psion / Teklogix started with a great culture of team work and innovation. The original founder of the company was a dynamic inventor and a leader.

Cons

PTX has difficulty seeing the future. This is the gang that spurned a relationship with RIM. Followed by rolling out a netbook that lost money. The netbook was the way to save the company. I personally sold hundreds before it was killed. There was no interest in revising the product. Intel, HP, Acer , Dell and others easily made millions on the product. PTX doesn't know what business it should be in

The company was founded on innovation. Open source is a way to hide your short comings. It nearly bankrupted the original Psion

Former employee

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Hebron, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hebron, KY

I worked at Psion Teklogix

Pros

Great management team, great coworkers, flex time, good pay

Cons

workforce reductions and threats of layoffs for multiple years was very tiring

none

Psion Management ruined Teklogix

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Psion Teklogix

Pros

Benefits were good at the time, however I hear they have since changed. Mid-level managers were quite good, and there was once a spirit of great teamwork within the company. If you are a strong schmoozer, you can have a long career with PTX.

Cons

Once Psion took over Teklogix, things began to quickly go downhill. Outside management was brought in between 2004 and 2006 that new little or nothing about mobile computing and the hardware industry, and began to make decisions based on their assumptions of the industry and their experience in other verticals. It was a disaster.

Whereas Teklogix had a culture of hiring people who were competent and easy to work with, Psion has a culture of hiring people who don't have experience in mobile computing and have more of a get tough, hatchet-man mentality. Some of the inside administration people can make your life a living hell as a result.

The current CEO, John Conoly cam in and demanded 30% profit margins on hardware, or they declined to make the sale and wouldn't pay the rep for it. This was during the height of the recession in 2008. Duh. Their margins went up all right- to the tune of losing several hundred million dollars in revenue and lots of customers who jumped to other vendors. Competitors shook their heads and wondered what the hell they were thinking.

Taking their current senior management on a sales call was actually counterproductive- you did better leaving them out of the process than bringing them into competitive opportunities. It was often referred amongst the reps to "snatching defeat from the jaws of victory", and there are still funny stories that make the rounds about many of these sales calls.

The first reviewer had it absolutely right- if you're willing to brown-nose the right people in the company, you can be a complete idiot- never making your numbers or putting out consistently poor products or shoddy work- and keep your job indefinitely. However, if you don't, you can be a top performer just doing your job and still be let go. Some of the best people they have were let go for reasons that no one to this day understands. How do you let people go who are near or above quota to keep those who barely exceeded 50%? Happens all the time there. So, if you're a good talker and are willing to brown nose to get ahead, PTX can be a fit for you. However, if you're a top performer and don't, it may not work out.

For these and other reasons, in my humble opinion, It's only a matter of time before PTX is in a position where they will be acquired by either Intermec or Motorola for pennies on the dollar and the current management will drive them into the ground. Something has to change.

You're starting to get it, but you still have let the best people in your company go to "reduce costs." Middle management is so bad that the stories of their botched sales calls are told for fun and shock value within the industry, and that is not an exaggeration. Your competitors such as Intermec, Motorola and LXE no longer consider PTX to be a true competitor. You need to evaluate the market, innovate your products, get a better handle on emerging trends, let reps speak candidly about middle management- and come up with a strategy that addresses emerging market trends and increased commoditization. Modulist was met with a giant yawn by the end-user and reseller community, regardless of what middle management told you.

If you can step back,review operations and stop letting the "empty suit" tell you that everything is great- and I'll leave it to you to figure out who that person is- then you'll have a chance at being a top level player again.

It was Psion Teklogix

Former Employee - Manager  in  Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Manager in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I worked at Psion Teklogix full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good Company, dynamic with good reputation in the market, reasonable benefits. Good working environment especially if you team leader really leads. Really enjoy my time when company was directed by people who recognized people.

Cons

For the past few years almost none recognition of efforts, even the deliverables of internal projects were bringing reasonable cost savings but I guess those savings were going in a different direction rather to compensate some of the talent in the organization

Too much spent by having too many VPs and Directors some of them doing almost nothing

Good place to work at

I have been working at Psion Teklogix

Pros

Great people to work with, friendly staff

Cons

A little small in size

Keep up the good work

OK

Current Employee - Field Service
    Current Employee - Field Service

I have been working at Psion Teklogix

Pros

small flexible company allows for individual contribution, excellent positioning in niche markets

Cons

tough competition for the company

Teklogix was a great place to work until PSION bought it

I worked at Psion Teklogix

Pros

the Head office was close to the highway.

Cons

the last three years no increases in salary - 100s of people being let go - a VP of engineering who has no engineering training whatsoever

there is no coming back from what you have done to your workforce

Worked for Psion Teklogix? Contribute to the Community!