Psomas

Add Photos

Psomas CEO Blake Murillo

Blake Murillo

Review

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Psomas full-time for more than 10 years

ProsPeople care; high quality of work; well run management

ConsChallenges keeping employees satisfied, especially in down economy

Overall a good place to work for

Civil Engineering Designer (Current Employee)
Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Psomas full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThere is a steady supply of work because due to high quality work and happy clients. Coworkers are pleasant to work with.

ConsThere appears to be little to no room for advancement. Generally everyone seem to be in the same position as they were years ago. This could be due to the lack of growth due to the economic downturn leaving each design team small such that there is no hierarchy, only the project manager and then the people beneath that position.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in training.

GIS Analyst

GIS Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Psomas as a contractor

ProsHuman Resources was very friendly.

ConsThere was little support from the manager.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Disfunctional management system

Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at Psomas full-time for more than 5 years

ProsA good staff. Fair benefits.

ConsNo investment in company infrastructure.
Management is more interested in stock value than the final product or employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to business. Invest in your own company.

Too many queen bees and not enough workers

I have been working at Psomas full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThere are several very talented people in each office and most have shouldered the additional responsibilities that came with so many layoffs very well indeed.

ConsOrganization and communication is lacking in the upper management echelons. After more than six years without a raise, raises were given company wide but since most of them amounted to 2% it was very dissapointing.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake advantage of the talent you already have in house and use/reward accordingly.

Total downer if you're not a manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Psomas

ProsGreat location, beautiful offices, interesting projects, well respected within the development community

ConsThe place thrives on underpaying junior staff. The place essentially makes the bulk of its profit on the backs of non-managerial staff while management gets to drive around in their company paid luxury cars - a manager blatantly drives around in a Benz SLR. End of year bonuses go only to managers while everyone else gets a grocery certificate.

There is a clear lack of professional development or promotional opportunities for junior staff. The only thing most important to management is that you remain chargeable - they exorbitantly charge their clients while they offer you peanuts. They keep preaching that the company is employee owned and the need for fairness and transparency but something is severely wrong when the charging multiplier is 6:1 for some people.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe simplest and best way to show your appreciation to your employees is to fairly compensate them. You can keep your Wednesday bagels and donuts for yourselves.

good place to work

Civil Engineering Designer (Former Employee)
Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Psomas

Prosflexable work schedule, friendly people

Conslower than average pay for non-management staff, difficult to become a stock holder, low/no bonuses

Advice to Senior ManagementBlake is an excellent CEO

Not sure anymore

ProsGreat People to work with

ConsNot sure how well Senior Management understands what is happening

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your Group Leaders

Psomas is a very good place to work.

Civil Engineering Designer III (Current Employee)
Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Psomas

ProsThe information about the health of the company appears to be pretty much open to all employees. There are great medical benefits, compared to other industries. Flexible work hours and numerous holidays are given when needed.

ConsIt seems that upper management is quick to make cuts in staff when profitability is not where they expect it to be.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a little more time to get out and meet the people in all offices - more than just showing up once a month to give the "state of the business" address. Meet with your people and be open to criticism.

Good place to be a manager

I have been working at Psomas

ProsThe paychecks never bounce. Free donuts/bagels once a week. The office is nice and equipment is modern. You get to work on some of the higher profile projects in the LA area. You get a free $100 grocery store gift card for christmas that you only have to pay $45 in taxes for (which gets taken out of your paycheck). The project managers and upper management are very well compensated, so it is definitely a place to consider for a high level position.

ConsThe company grows mainly through acquisitions of other companies, not by expansion internally. This limits promotion opportunities. There is little or no sharing of work between offices so it is difficult to get to know people from other offices and what the strengths and capabilities of those offices might be. Bonuses are not given to employees below the project manager level. Little is done in the way of training and development of staff, unless you are willing to constantly fight for it. Once you become good at something, you will likely get pigeon-holed into doing the same thing over and over again until you complain about it enough to get a new opportuniy.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on staff development. Provide training and advancement opportunities for lower level employees. Consider bonuses for all employees.

Worked for Psomas? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Psomas reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Psomas CEO Blake Murillo. All 13 reviews posted anonymously by Psomas employees.