PsychoGenics Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.6
Emer Leahy

It was great but all turned to crap within one weekend.

Pros

You will learn a lot of technical skills depending on which group you belong to. Most people are very down to earth and friendly. They offer benefits and will match your 401K up to a certain amount.

Cons

This place does not value its employees. They will try to squeeze as much as they can from you and will let you go if they can. I know of several people who have been cheated out of bonuses or promotions. The pay isn't great, and even worse if you go through a temp agency. There also seems to be a tattle-tale culture. No real upward mobility unless an existing manager leaves. Learn what you can and leave.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better, they are the ones who will make you better and look better. Also, Internal R&D is much needed.

2. Good company to start with, not to continue in

I have been working at PsychoGenics full-time

Pros

Great company if you are just trying to get your foot in the door as a research associate. You will learn a lot in the beginning. Pretty good work/life balance, depending on the group you are in. Most people in the company are great to work with.

Cons

No upward mobility. Many get stiffed on promotions/bonuses. Be prepared to work many weekends when company is busy. No development of workers by management after trained on the basic skills. Lots of turnover.

Advice to Management

Keep developing your staff, it will keep employees interested and there will be less turnover.

3. Place to learn

Former Employee - Research Associate III in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Research Associate III in New York, NY

I worked at PsychoGenics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots to learn. If you're willing to work hard, you can learn a range of techniques and become proficient.

Cons

Low pay, advancement difficult, under appreciated, no incentives.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees. Learn to manage, not micromanage. Look out for the team not just yourselves.

5. Research Associate

I worked at PsychoGenics full-time

Pros

Flexible schedules to accommodate continuing education. Okay company for those just out of college looking to get a foothold in the industry, but look for something better in the meantime.

Cons

Terrible compensation, bad managers/management, toxic work environment. Stay away from this company unless you are desperate. Upper management overly compensated while lower tiered employees receive nothing.

Advice to Management

Your employees are not stupid, even though you think they are. Just because they don't call you out on your lies to your face does not mean they don't know you are lying. People talk.

at the time I was there it was an ok job.

Former Employee - Research Associate in Tarrytown, NY
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Tarrytown, NY

I worked at PsychoGenics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Family like atmosphere. I learned a few things that were related to my degree which got my foot in the door in the industry.

Cons

Everyone is in a work relationship or having sex with one another.

Advice to Management

Keep people in the groups they signed up for. Stop shuffling around.

Excellent stepping stone if you are willing to make sacrifices

Former Employee - Research Associate
    Former Employee - Research Associate

I worked at PsychoGenics full-time

Pros

This company provides an excellent stepping stone to young people fresh out of college. You will get promoted if you work hard. Opportunity to develop technical skills. Some managers genuinely care about their people. I made the most of my time here because I cared about the work I was doing--if you care and you show it and you have a decent manager, your career will benefit from working here

Cons

Very low moral. Expectations at times unreasonable. Extremely stressful environment. The salary is very low for the industry. You will be expected to make sacrifices including long hours and weekend work. These things are simply non-negotiable. Experience entirely dependent upon manager you report to. Some people are selectively babied and others are taken advantage of. no way of knowing which one you will be. A few bad eggs near the top. I was fortunate in that I had a better working situation than many of my peers, however my freedoms were earned after years of proving myself a competent & trustworthy employee.

Advice to Management

Improve moral--try a little positive reinforcement. Some people worked so hard and received so little recognition for their efforts. Give people a resource to use when they have issues with management. The complete lack of any HR department is problematic. Be more aware of the unfair distribution of overtime and weekend work as it seemed to fall disproportionately on some people shoulders.

8. Very positive, worked hard and gained a great deal of practical experience.

I worked at PsychoGenics full-time

Pros

Provided opportunities to develop bench skills as well as communication and data organization skills. They were supportive of allowing personal development which led to career advancements.

Cons

Can be a very fast paced environment in which a great deal is expected from you, which is not necessarily a con, but it can be a somewhat stressful environment.

9. Has been an overall positive experience

I have been working at PsychoGenics full-time

Pros

Opportunity to gain meaningful experience in the industry

Cons

The workload can be demanding

if you have another option....take it

Former Employee - Sci
    Former Employee - Sci

Pros

Its a job if you really need one

Cons

Most of the time it was like a swetshop. Bullied into working many weekends. pay was poor, vacation was poor, HR was 1 person who was poor

Advice to Management

look after your staff better

RSS Feed </> Embed