Public Allies Reviews

CEO

1. Great way to develop leadership skills

Former Employee - Public Allies in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Public Allies in Miami, FL

I worked at Public Allies full-time (less than a year)

Pros

nonprofit management training, it is what you make of it.

Cons

pay is based off a monthly stipend. it is hard to relocate if you don't live in the city prior.

Advice to Management

be considerate to allies.

2. National office

I have been working at Public Allies full-time

Pros

A truly wonderful mission. The most diverse staff I ever worked with, which to me was a big plus. I learned a lot from my peers. The Allies -- Americorps participants who enrolled in the program every year -- are inspiring and energizing people to be around.

Cons

Delicate funding situation. Shifting political winds and funding structures forced some program decisions that were tough to implement. Dysfunctional leadership at the time I worked there. Upper management didn't empower mid-management to lead (ironic, considering the "everyone leads" motto).

Advice to Management

Let your good people participate, genuinely, in leadership of the program.

3. Worthwhile Experience

Former Employee - Ally in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Ally in New York, NY

I worked at Public Allies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You'll be tested: professionally, intellectually, and ethically. You'll learn to effectively and productively interact with people you otherwise would not encounter. You'll have opportunities to create projects and lead your team members. If you're driven, this will be a professional and personal turning point for you.

Cons

Quite low pay. You can't choose your team members - the people with whom you'll be working closely, for many hours, on various projects. Many of your team members will be very idealistic or set in their beliefs, and you will likely have to compromise some of your ideals to get on.

5. Public Allies DC

I have been working at Public Allies

Pros

They really are a great Americorps program, especially when you compare the benefits with other programs. They try to focus on the individual and team aspect and if you come in focused on what you want, network, and focus on your goals, you may come out on top.

Cons

The staff is lacking a lot of skills and training. They can't really support the young adults in the program where it counts. Once your ten months is over, it's over.

6. A great experience where one learns about oneself, nonprofit orgs in Chicago, and has the opportunity to serve.

Current Employee - Public Ally in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Public Ally in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Public Allies full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The best aspects of being an Ally is the emphasis on leadership and core values, along with an opportunity to meet wonderful people and do great work.

Cons

Allies have many different responsibilities and roles, at times, leading it to be difficult to manage. Also, as an AmeriCorps member, one doesn't expect to make much money.

Advice to Management

Continue to find ways to grow the program, leveraging the assets of the Allies and the communities they serve.

7. Good opportunity

I worked at Public Allies

Pros

I had a good training and placement experience

Cons

Not everyone gets a placement that they enjoy

8. Great for Allies, tough for full time staff

I have been working at Public Allies full-time

Pros

This organization is great for the young leaders it works with. It gives so many young people a chance to learn and grow. It gives each individual site a chance to impact their community it it's own way for the most part. All the people who I have worked with or had experience with are caring and want to do the best with what they can and have that large impact on leadership in this country.

Cons

The down side of this organization is that it is gets a bulk of it's funding through the government so there are a lot of changes each year in order to keep up with the funding source. It puts a ton of energy into it's allies but for full time staff, not so much. There are regional and national meetings on a yearly basis but it seems to be just to introduce new policy, not much support. Recently there has been more connection to the national office which is great. The pay is not great either and there seems to be a lot of turn over in the staff.

Advice to Management

Find a focus and work toward that focus, not CNCS focus areas one year then capacity building the next without much connection to the focus areas. What is your focus and how does that focus affect the mission?

9. They work you hard but you learn a lot

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Public Allies as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Lots of training and a variety of job activities and opportunities for leadership experience. The people are passionate about their work and making a difference.

Cons

Many of the activities were disorganized and scheduled at the last minute or plans would change at the last minute. Little flexibility for time off even for illness.

Advice to Management

Plan things further in advance and improve communication about how and why things were executed.

10. The is the best job that I have had thus far in my career

Current Employee - Program Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Public Allies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The personal and professional development opportunities, the ability to have an impact on young people, the city of Pittsburgh and through our national network, the nation as a whole. I absolutely love the fact that I get to network with some of the major players in the city and get paid to do it.

Cons

!There is very little room for vertical advancement and eventually I would have to move to a new city or move to a new job to advance my career.

Advice to Management

Change nothing about the way you do things!

11. Unqualified, unprofessional management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Public Allies

Pros

Great learning opportunity, great coworkers.

Cons

Extremely unprofessional and unorganized management.

Advice to Management

Please, no double standards, clear communication and try to be organized and professional.