Public Consulting Group

Be The First To
Add Photos

Public Consulting Group President William S Mosakowski

William S Mosakowski

Pros
  • The Boston office is in a great location(in 10 reviews)

• This is a great place to build your resume and learn to cover your back(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Little development of skills, and work-life balance does not improve until the senior consultant level(in 17 reviews)

• No work-life balance for junior staff(in 7 reviews)

44 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Positive employees, high volume workload, motivating environment.

Consultant (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsClient driven, opportunities for those who seize them. Growth must be self-directed. There's no hand-holding here.

ConsBe prepared to fumble in the dark a bit, but resources and content are available. Lots of learning as you go.
    There is a disconnect between the talent PCG looks for and compensation (ie, year's experience, expensive MBA's can be challenging to cover with existing compensation structure)

Advice to Senior ManagementSr. Consultant role appears to be "the perfect storm" in terms of responsibility here. Wish there was more direct training on transitioning from Consultant to Sr. Perhaps some of the Sr. roles should be passed down to the Consultant level. 360 Review would also be a plus.

A good place to get experience

Accounts Payable Coordinator (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsYou can learn a lot from this company.

ConsNot too much of a help when you need assistance, everybody for their self.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Market Strong, but poor management

IT Manager (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGreat location. Decent pay, bonus. But ask ANYONE who worked there.

ConsI was in the IT dept at the Boston office for 3+ years. From day one to the last day, the energy and personalities never changed. The CIO they hired (their 1st) was a friend of the owner. While he had tech credibility and experience he battled every day and lost. We as the staff were always crippled by the business owners. They would sign 99.999 uptime contracts, and then deny all funding to IT infrastructure. Sure, happens everywhere? Not to this extent. Turnover was alwasy huge. Anyone good would leave within 3 - 9 months. Working 24/7 with terrible resources was no way to retain the talent they needed.

Definately Stay Away. Don't be tempted by the location/pay. I still have several friends there. They describe a terrible place that just cant get better.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a completely new board. Even you Bill. It is filled with owners and cronies who have NO idea what the company does. It trickles down. Your middle to upper management is so very poor. Your key skill resources turn over at ridiculous rates.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

PCG is an outstanding opportunity for hard working recent undergraduate students!

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsAs my first job out of college, PCG gave me excellent exposure to all aspects of the consulting industry. Below were my favorite aspects of the job:

1. Work for the public sector clients.

At PCG, you will get exposure to working with government agencies. In the end of the day, this is good work. For your benefit, a senior consultant and a consultant will give you the opportunity to conduct research, present a stakeholder meetings, perform financial analysis, prepare monthly and annual reports just to name a few.

2. You will have the best co-workers.

Most people at PCG are genuinely smart, hard-workers and good people in general. They do whatever it takes to get the job done. People at PCG and in consulting in general, have the ability to "figure out" things. They will not be holding your hands but they will be there, by your side, working hard to get things done. You will always have company for social activities and most people are young. Most importantly, you will make great friends at this company.

3. Travel!

I had the great opportunity to travel while at PCG. I traveled, on average, only 1-2 times a month to a fun state. It is a great opportunity because you get to see different parts of the country. When work is done, you have the opportunity to explore and take tons of cool pictures. You will also get the perks of airline and hotel points. I have not paid for hotel stays or flights for my personal trips thanks to all of my points! On the flip side, there are people who travel every week and don't enjoy it as much. However, if you are a recent graduate, then this should be fun.

Other pros:

Location: PCG is at the heart of the financial district in BOSTON.

Holiday parties: Top-notch. The latest party was on an island and we ate lobster!

Bonus: Generous bonus check. I will talk about salary soon but year end bonus and Christmas bonus are very good.

Training: PCG is working to improve training. The ChIP program is helping and it will keep improving.

Opportunity to grow: PCG is growing at a very fast rate. There are many new projects and people are having the opportunity to move up quickly if you work very hard. There were several people on my team that work at PCG since college!

Cons1. Work-Life Balance

You will work on average 50 hours+ per week; sometimes more. If you commute from far, then hours can take a even bigger toll on you. PCG is not for everyone. You need to stay positive and look at the bright side of everything because otherwise you will be miserable. The hours are long due to a combination of factors:

- Consulting industry (mercy of clients, more work than time to do it)

- Steep Learning curve. You will get tons of responsibilities and your consultant and senior consultant will rely on you to "figure it out" and "get it done" since they are even more busier than you.

-Not enough staff in my opinion. Sometimes you will be working alone on tasks/ deliverables when in an ideal world there should be 2-3 people working on it.

2. Compensation:

Compensation is below market average. Although it can reach market level if you factor in the experience that you are getting, airline/hotel perks, health reimbursement (if you are in someone else's insurance plan), year end bonus, Christmas bonus and referral bonus. I left for another company and I saw a 20% increase my salary not including any benefits or bonus!

3. Benefits

PCG does not offer exceptional benefits. A good benefit would be transit reimbursement. There are many commuters at the company and this would be a great benefit to offer, even for those who live in the boston area and use the subway!

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company means well. There are many areas that needs improvement but here are a few based on my experience:

1. Hire more staff.

I understand that the management team wants to see big bonus checks but the lower level staff are getting burnt out. PCG is growing over 20% every year but is lacking in hiring. To keep up the quality of work, you need to hire more! Quality work means that the client will want you forever!

2. Increase pay.

PCG staff work extremely hard for you. You are doing the company a disservice if you don't raise their salary to market level in order to give them more reasons to stay. Good work and great co-workers is not enough anymore to keep talented staff.

3. Offer more benefits.

I have seem cut-backs in benefits (healthcare, transit) and that is not cool. Please work on offering more benefits because your workforce really deserves it.

It's all about the numbers

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsHiring model focuses on college graduates - good opportunity to get experience right out of school.

ConsManagement is compensated individually with large bonuses on a % of profit. This means lean staff (to keep costs down), in-fighting over who gets "credit" for a sale, and less focus on doing a good job for clients after a sale is made. A disfunctional family on a good day. It's truly all about the sales numbers and chasing ambulances.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on developing customer relationships and delivering on promises, and sales will fall in your lap from repeat business.

Great place to start your career

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsStrong leadership team who takes care of it's employees. ITS is the not the best place to be but overall small rewards like Christmas bonus and generous year end bonus make it a good place to start your career.

ConsDisintegrated processes, the back office operations fall short and makes you wonder why the firm would not invest in cleaning up house

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in employee success programs and think big (private sector); you have more potential than you give yourself credit for.

Great place to cut your teeth

Production Support Manager (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsYou will learn a lot, you will be tested, and you will come out ahead of the game. At least that's how it worked out for me. To anyone in IT I would say working at PCG could be a great opportunity to expand your skill set and gain exposure to an enormously heterogeneous infrastructure that you won't see at other similarly sized companies. Your soft skills will be refined and developed in ways they won't be at many other places.

ConsIf you are thin skinned, sensitive, insecure or otherwise unable to handle a complex and demanding work culture then you might not like it, but then again if you would describe yourself with any of those terms you might be in the wrong business. If you stay here longer than 3-5 years you are doing yourself a serious disservice. The company isn't interested in developing and retaining IT talent.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone really, what they're doing seems to be working just fine for them.

Mission driven company in the private sector

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGreat people
    Attentive and accessible leadership
    Top-down commitment to serving public sector clients
    Projects have a strong sense of purpose

ConsTendency to be pulled in many directions since teams are not dedicated to projects
    Travel can be unpredictable
    Although compensation has been adjusted recently, still lower than competing firms in the area

The Opportunity is what you make it.

Director (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsI've been with PCG now for more than ten years. I started at the bottom and made several moves through the company before reaching the position of Director. It wasn't easy. I had to work for it. PCG gave me many opportunities and each time I rose to the challenge. I didn't wait for them to hand things to me. I made my own path and was rewarded for it.

PCG is full of rewarding career opportunities. Each year the company takes a step forward. It evolves and learns from its mistakes. Have an idea to make things better? Stand up and be heard. They do listen.

Now you will hear that IT has struggled to keep pace with current technologies. And that was true. But things are really changing in this area. The staff has doubled and old staff members have been re-energized with the help of a new CIO and a major investment in infrastructure.

ConsCommunication of news and events within the company is sparce.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in communication tools to increase collaboration within and across offices.

A dreadful experience

Manager (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThis firm is profitable despite its incompetent leadership, but the money stays at the top.

ConsThere are roughly 35 PCG offices and most of them operate as small companies, with no unity or collaboration. This is largely due to pathetic internal communication and a complete lack of collaborative resources. It is expected that employees work well beyond normal hours without additional compensation. This is not a 9 to 5 job, it’s more like 8 to 8. Work/Life balance at PCG is skewed toward burnout, which fits their trend of extremely high turnover for the industry. A former colleague and PCG HR recruiter acknowledged that Public Consulting Group’s pay scale is well below the industry average. The company is privately held and the principals are aging multi-millionaires. It has been rumored they will likely sell the firm and cash out soon. Most PCG employees would benefit from being bought out by a firm like Maximus or Accenture.

-Consultants are driven hard and must offload tasks to under qualified junior staff. Major bs’ing is routinely incorporated into last-minute PCG proposals.

-The marketing department is completely inept and regarded as a joke among consultants. One of the principals poses as a marketing director with no experience in business development or leadership, for that matter.

-Management berates and intimidates employees who don't work 50-60 hours per week.

-The IT department cannot keep pace with daily demands on their systems and the archaic state of email and network reliability is frustrating and costly. IT staff is competent for the most part, but management hasn't supported or funded their much needed infrastructure improvements.

-HR turns a blind eye to obvious recurring problems regarding favoritism, bullying and harassment, and only serves to protect PCG ownership from potential liabilities.

Any favorable reviews on this site can be ignored as an attempt by management to offset the factual, negative feedback that so many have provided. These are not complaints, but rather impassioned pleas to those considering working for this severely crippled company to stay away.

If you're considering working for Public Consulting Group, reconsider!

Advice to Senior ManagementSell your misguided company and retire. Let a reputable firm bring in true management professionals to take the helm and re-direct PCG away from its “sinking ship” status.

Worked for Public Consulting Group? Contribute to the Community!