Public Consulting Group

Updated August 26, 2014
Updated August 26, 2014

Public Consulting Group President William S Mosakowski
William S Mosakowski

Pros
  • The Boston office is in a great location (in 10 reviews)

• This is a great place to build your resume and learn to cover your back (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Little development of skills, and work-life balance does not improve until the senior consultant level (in 18 reviews)

• No work-life balance for junior staff (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

45 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great people to work with

Current Employee - Human Resources in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Boston, MA

I have been working at Public Consulting Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good leadership, great office culture, and good bonuses!

Cons

Low pay, minimal upward mobility, overworked

Positive employees, high volume workload, motivating environment.

Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Public Consulting Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Client driven, opportunities for those who seize them. Growth must be self-directed. There's no hand-holding here.

Cons

Be prepared to fumble in the dark a bit, but resources and content are available. Lots of learning as you go.
    There is a disconnect between the talent PCG looks for and compensation (ie, year's experience, expensive MBA's can be challenging to cover with existing compensation structure)

Sr. Consultant role appears to be "the perfect storm" in terms of responsibility here. Wish there was more direct training on transitioning from Consultant to Sr. Perhaps some of the Sr. roles should be passed down to the Consultant level. 360 Review would also be a plus.

A good place to get experience

Former Employee - Accounts Payable Coordinator in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable Coordinator in Boston, MA

I worked at Public Consulting Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You can learn a lot from this company.

Cons

Not too much of a help when you need assistance, everybody for their self.

Keep up the good work!

Market Strong, but poor management

Current Employee - IT Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Public Consulting Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great location. Decent pay, bonus. But ask ANYONE who worked there.

Cons

I was in the IT dept at the Boston office for 3+ years. From day one to the last day, the energy and personalities never changed. The CIO they hired (their 1st) was a friend of the owner. While he had tech credibility and experience he battled every day and lost. We as the staff were always crippled by the business owners. They would sign 99.999 uptime contracts, and then deny all funding to IT infrastructure. Sure, happens everywhere? Not to this extent. Turnover was alwasy huge. Anyone good would leave within 3 - 9 months. Working 24/7 with terrible resources was no way to retain the talent they needed.

Definately Stay Away. Don't be tempted by the location/pay. I still have several friends there. They describe a terrible place that just cant get better.

Get a completely new board. Even you Bill. It is filled with owners and cronies who have NO idea what the company does. It trickles down. Your middle to upper management is so very poor. Your key skill resources turn over at ridiculous rates.

PCG is an outstanding opportunity for hard working recent undergraduate students!

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Boston, MA

I worked at Public Consulting Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

As my first job out of college, PCG gave me excellent exposure to all aspects of the consulting industry. Below were my favorite aspects of the job:

1. Work for the public sector clients.

At PCG, you will get exposure to working with government agencies. In the end of the day, this is good work. For your benefit, a senior consultant and a consultant will give you the opportunity to conduct research, present a stakeholder meetings, perform financial analysis, prepare monthly and annual reports just to name a few.

2. You will have the best co-workers.

Most people at PCG are genuinely smart, hard-workers and good people in general. They do whatever it takes to get the job done. People at PCG and in consulting in general, have the ability to "figure out" things. They will not be holding your hands but they will be there, by your side, working hard to get things done. You will always have company for social activities and most people are young. Most importantly, you will make great friends at this company.

3. Travel!

I had the great opportunity to travel while at PCG. I traveled, on average, only 1-2 times a month to a fun state. It is a great opportunity because you get to see different parts of the country. When work is done, you have the opportunity to explore and take tons of cool pictures. You will also get the perks of airline and hotel points. I have not paid for hotel stays or flights for my personal trips thanks to all of my points! On the flip side, there are people who travel every week and don't enjoy it as much. However, if you are a recent graduate, then this should be fun.

Other pros:

Location: PCG is at the heart of the financial district in BOSTON.

Holiday parties: Top-notch. The latest party was on an island and we ate lobster!

Bonus: Generous bonus check. I will talk about salary soon but year end bonus and Christmas bonus are very good.

Training: PCG is working to improve training. The ChIP program is helping and it will keep improving.

Opportunity to grow: PCG is growing at a very fast rate. There are many new projects and people are having the opportunity to move up quickly if you work very hard. There were several people on my team that work at PCG since college!

Cons

1. Work-Life Balance

You will work on average 50 hours+ per week; sometimes more. If you commute from far, then hours can take a even bigger toll on you. PCG is not for everyone. You need to stay positive and look at the bright side of everything because otherwise you will be miserable. The hours are long due to a combination of factors:

- Consulting industry (mercy of clients, more work than time to do it)

- Steep Learning curve. You will get tons of responsibilities and your consultant and senior consultant will rely on you to "figure it out" and "get it done" since they are even more busier than you.

-Not enough staff in my opinion. Sometimes you will be working alone on tasks/ deliverables when in an ideal world there should be 2-3 people working on it.

2. Compensation:

Compensation is below market average. Although it can reach market level if you factor in the experience that you are getting, airline/hotel perks, health reimbursement (if you are in someone else's insurance plan), year end bonus, Christmas bonus and referral bonus. I left for another company and I saw a 20% increase my salary not including any benefits or bonus!

3. Benefits

PCG does not offer exceptional benefits. A good benefit would be transit reimbursement. There are many commuters at the company and this would be a great benefit to offer, even for those who live in the boston area and use the subway!

The company means well. There are many areas that needs improvement but here are a few based on my experience:

1. Hire more staff.

I understand that the management team wants to see big bonus checks but the lower level staff are getting burnt out. PCG is growing over 20% every year but is lacking in hiring. To keep up the quality of work, you need to hire more! Quality work means that the client will want you forever!

2. Increase pay.

PCG staff work extremely hard for you. You are doing the company a disservice if you don't raise their salary to market level in order to give them more reasons to stay. Good work and great co-workers is not enough anymore to keep talented staff.

3. Offer more benefits.

I have seem cut-backs in benefits (healthcare, transit) and that is not cool. Please work on offering more benefits because your workforce really deserves it.

It's all about the numbers

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Public Consulting Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Hiring model focuses on college graduates - good opportunity to get experience right out of school.

Cons

Management is compensated individually with large bonuses on a % of profit. This means lean staff (to keep costs down), in-fighting over who gets "credit" for a sale, and less focus on doing a good job for clients after a sale is made. A disfunctional family on a good day. It's truly all about the sales numbers and chasing ambulances.

Focus on developing customer relationships and delivering on promises, and sales will fall in your lap from repeat business.

Great place to start your career

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Public Consulting Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Strong leadership team who takes care of it's employees. ITS is the not the best place to be but overall small rewards like Christmas bonus and generous year end bonus make it a good place to start your career.

Cons

Disintegrated processes, the back office operations fall short and makes you wonder why the firm would not invest in cleaning up house

Invest in employee success programs and think big (private sector); you have more potential than you give yourself credit for.

Great place to cut your teeth

Former Employee - Production Support Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Production Support Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Public Consulting Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You will learn a lot, you will be tested, and you will come out ahead of the game. At least that's how it worked out for me. To anyone in IT I would say working at PCG could be a great opportunity to expand your skill set and gain exposure to an enormously heterogeneous infrastructure that you won't see at other similarly sized companies. Your soft skills will be refined and developed in ways they won't be at many other places.

Cons

If you are thin skinned, sensitive, insecure or otherwise unable to handle a complex and demanding work culture then you might not like it, but then again if you would describe yourself with any of those terms you might be in the wrong business. If you stay here longer than 3-5 years you are doing yourself a serious disservice. The company isn't interested in developing and retaining IT talent.

None really, what they're doing seems to be working just fine for them.

Mission driven company in the private sector

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Public Consulting Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people
    Attentive and accessible leadership
    Top-down commitment to serving public sector clients
    Projects have a strong sense of purpose

Cons

Tendency to be pulled in many directions since teams are not dedicated to projects
    Travel can be unpredictable
    Although compensation has been adjusted recently, still lower than competing firms in the area

The Opportunity is what you make it.

Current Employee - Director in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at Public Consulting Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I've been with PCG now for more than ten years. I started at the bottom and made several moves through the company before reaching the position of Director. It wasn't easy. I had to work for it. PCG gave me many opportunities and each time I rose to the challenge. I didn't wait for them to hand things to me. I made my own path and was rewarded for it.

PCG is full of rewarding career opportunities. Each year the company takes a step forward. It evolves and learns from its mistakes. Have an idea to make things better? Stand up and be heard. They do listen.

Now you will hear that IT has struggled to keep pace with current technologies. And that was true. But things are really changing in this area. The staff has doubled and old staff members have been re-energized with the help of a new CIO and a major investment in infrastructure.

Cons

Communication of news and events within the company is sparce.

Invest in communication tools to increase collaboration within and across offices.