Public Consulting Group

Employment Status

Reset
Public Consulting Group President William S Mosakowski
William S Mosakowski

Pros
  • Great Place to make lasting relationships (in 11 reviews)

• There are lots of professional development courses, including an MBA program funded by the company (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • No work-life balance for junior staff (in 19 reviews)

• There is no work - life balance (in 8 reviews)

Steadily Improving, but a long way to go...

Former Employee - Operations in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Operations in Boston, MA

I worked at Public Consulting Group

Pros

Improving IT infrastructure, and communication between staff and IT . Nice, but not cushy or hip offices. Mostly cube city offices as dictated by the CEO. Decent PTO for salaried folks, 4weeks, hourly staff only gets 3 weeks. 401K is pretty good,,up to 6% employer match usually in the 90%+ range. Not much mentoring, training , but new trainings thru the web are becoming available. Decent pay on the low end of spectrum for what's expected that staff member accomplish. A lot of seat of the pants getting by. Nice year end and Christmas parties and bonuses.

Cons

Class system very much in control. If you are not on the sales track, don't expect training, career track (although they say it 's coming). Don't expect respect or positive reinforcement from anyone on the sales side of the wall. Support and operations staff are seen as a cost of doing business, and a necessary evil. Expect to be condescended to, blamed for mistakes with no cause but being operations. Depending on the "higher up" you deal with, expect harassment, belittling, and humiliation in public. Low pay, vacation may not be used at your discretion, you manager decides. You may have to eat it, and leave time on the table come Jan 1. I'd say, if you're in sales, it's a good resume builder. If you are in support or operations, it's a job until you can find a better employer who doesn't see you as a noose around it's neck.

Advice to Management

Get off the high horse. Believing that managers, seniors, etc., are the only ones that can contribute to improving things, nothing will change., the people in the trenches can probably straighten a great deal of your problems out, in short order. Include them in your "think tank" initiatives.

2. Look Else where

Former Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Boston, MA

I worked at Public Consulting Group full-time

Pros

401k plan contributes up to 6% of salary. Company party at Xmas and year end.

Cons

401K paid at year end. You lose any potential gains if matched monthly. Salary pay is below market. This company wants to be a management consulting company but doesn't make the cut. No work life balance. IT systems are bare minimum - shoe string. Could be a powerhouse if management views IT as an intrigral part of the company. Very focused on the bottom line. If you are not a Consultant level or higher you are considered dirt. Lots of pressure to produce on a shoe string budget. Too many Cliques. If you are not part of the clique, you will not advance.

Advice to Management

Instead of focusing on lining your pockets, focus on developing a company that will compete with your former and now competitor HMS (the business unit you sold to them). Eliminate the nepotism that occurs in this organization. Make this organization more professional. Increase pay to market with incentives.

3. Good and Bad

Current Employee - Engineering in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Engineering in Boston, MA

I have been working at Public Consulting Group

Pros

PCG has some great employees and i think everyone works hard. I just wish more would work smart. I work at the 40 Broad Street location for PPL. It's a decent place to work and we have a good team. But see cons for issues.. PROS: - Mostly hard working employees - Stable industry - Decent pay - Variety of work and never not having work is nice - Fast paced

Cons

CONS: My biggest problem is the work/life balance. The second is (this may be unique to PPL) that most people speak hindi in the office. Note, i'm also indian. I think it's very unprofessional and causes resentment with non-indian coworkers that don't speak our language. I try to influence others to speak english but ultimately they prefer their mother tongue i guess. I think this should be discouraged. I'm not talking about personal phone calls, i'm talking about coworkers having large discussions, laughing loudly, our other coworkers have no idea what's being talked about - Work/Life balance is quite bad - You can be dinged on your bonus for not turning in timesheets in a timely fashion - A very old fashioned company not keeping up with the times in terms of WFH, face time and reporting - Very manager heavy company, we need hard working people not more managers - No backward review system for managers, i think PCG should start an upward review system for employees to review their managers also

Advice to Management

- Give WFH and time flexibility to your workers and they will perform for you - Stop people speaking hindi and also chinese in the office. nothing positive can come from it - Start having employees review managers once a year as well

5. Great People and Mission

Former Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at Public Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

PCG hires some great people that are passionate about their work and the mission of the firm. I worked at the corporate head quarter office in Boston, which also shapes my opinion since I heard working at the various other offices could offer very different experiences. Overall Pros: - Company is growing, so career advancement is very attainable for employees in consulting roles - Given the number of local offices, travel is less than other large consulting firms - The company and managers are taking active steps to grow and improve formal training programs and initiatives - Great firm to start a management consulting career since learning is very hands-on

Cons

- Middle management can be burdensome since there are many layers of hierarchy - Base pay is arguably below market rate - Consultants often become spread too thin across too many engagements (leading to burnout) - Turnover (at lower levels) is relatively high, similar to other consulting firms

Advice to Management

Keep focused on the mission at hand, but careful not to burn through employees as the company adjusts to its rapid growth from the past few years.

Analyst

Current Employee - Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Public Consulting Group

Pros

Free coffee holiday parties free gym roof deck

Cons

Poor management, substandard equipment, unrealistic expectations of staff time and financial commitment

Advice to Management

Get in touch with your "people" not just your management and shareholders..

7. A place you can really have an impact

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Public Consulting Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There is great opportunity for personal growth and development. People are very supportive and collaborative. Company has a strong foundation of ethics and integrity that drives its business.

Cons

Bonus plan is not fair to all levels of employees who contribute to business success. Salary is lower than competitors.

PCG is for the bright and committed...

Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Public Consulting Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

-Highly entrepreneurial with varied and dynamic leadership -Huge variety of work spanning almost all of health and human services and education -Most areas of the firm are mission-driven, wanting to improve government and everyday lives -The firm has had rapid growth, moving into new areas ever day based on its employees' resourcefulness -Best, brightest and most committed can reap big rewards

Cons

-Fast organic growth over 25+ years has led to growing pains in some areas, like IT infrastructure and management training. This has improved gradually. -There is high variation in worker experience across the firm, toward the good and bad. --In some areas, work can be very challenging, requiring learning skills and flexibility not everyone has. --In others areas, the work can be tough and even sometimes grinding, based on competitive markets and contract performance criteria. --Because its so entrepreneurial, managers have great independence, which also means that worker experiences depend a lot on their leadership.

Poor client/project management for I.T. projects.

Former Contractor - IT Consultant/Computer Programmer Analyst in Boston, MA
    Former Contractor - IT Consultant/Computer Programmer Analyst in Boston, MA

I worked at Public Consulting Group as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Ironically, this is a great place for poor performers. You are pulled in so many different directions there is no way for management to hold most people accountable for what you are asked to do. You always have the excuse of "I was told to stop working on project x and now work on project y".

Cons

If you take pride in your work, see above...

Advice to Management

Stop trying to be a software services/product company. You are a consulting organization!

Was a "consultant" for a grand total of 4 work days.

Former Contractor - Business Analyst in Boston, MA
    Former Contractor - Business Analyst in Boston, MA

I worked at Public Consulting Group as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay was good, but no better than industry standard. I did my paperwork through a temp agency. I guess it's so they can "turn and burn" you.

Cons

Egotistical supervisor, no way to speak to someone else involved in the project. Critical of my work even though no clear direction. Just disparaging remarks. No benefits, keep you at 35 hours a week so they don't have to give you benefits.

Advice to Management

I was brought on to do a very specific job because of my past experience and expertise. If you don't like my work for some reason, as least explain why before showing someone the door.

Burning out their most talented and promising staff

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Public Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Despite a unilateral lack of appreciation by management, there is a small group of committed, talented individuals here and it is a pleasure to work with them. The support that my peers offer is one of the few things that has kept me here as long as I have been.

Cons

Compensation is below market value which is openly acknowledged by senior management. Junior level managers are told to essentially "put their time in" and eventually it will be rewarded. In this case time means 7-10 years. While these junior managers are putting their time in, work/life balance is nonexistent and any effort to push back or to establish boundaries is met with derision by management. This creates a culture where junior staff is afraid to even take the PTO that they have earned, with many of us losing earned time at the end of every year. The overwhelming effect is very demoralizing which is reflected in high staff turnover rates.

Advice to Management

Learn how to incentivize and reward your employees. If you are going to pay below market value, then empower your employees to use their vacation time and achieve work/life balance. Without any of this, you are creating a culture of burnout and you will continue to lose some of your most talented employees.

RSS Feed </> Embed