Public Consulting Group

149 reviews filtered by
2.9
Public Consulting Group President William S Mosakowski
William S Mosakowski

Pros
  • This is a great place to build your resume and learn to cover your back (in 11 reviews)

• The Boston office is in a great location (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Little development of skills, and work-life balance does not improve until the senior consultant level (in 19 reviews)

• No work-life balance for junior staff (in 8 reviews)

1. Technical Writer in Education division. Voluntary resignation 2015 (drop downs not working,.)

Current Contractor - Anonymous in Glen Allen, VA
    Current Contractor - Anonymous in Glen Allen, VA

I have been working at Public Consulting Group as a contractor

Pros

Great people, respect contractors, good salary, remote work possible, integrity, fantastic contractor health insurance, really nice, convenient officrveith good parking.

Cons

Chaos, lack of understanding of software development process, analysis, specs, etc. Absolute lack of structure. Deadlines and priorities change daily or hourly in crisis !mode. Possibility of remote work can mean 24/7 if not careful.

Advice to Management

Slow down a little and implement--and adhere to--an appropriate analysis and develop!ent methodology.

A Fantastic Place To Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Public Consulting Group

Pros

The benefits are excellent. All my colleagues are friends. Everyone here works their hardest and are committed to the success of the business. The Chicago office is exceedingly fun and I have only marvelous things to say regarding building a career here.

Cons

I have only positive things to say.

Advice to Management

Continue to support employees in whatever way possible.

PCG is for the bright and committed...

Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Public Consulting Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

-Highly entrepreneurial with varied and dynamic leadership
    -Huge variety of work spanning almost all of health and human services and education
    -Most areas of the firm are mission-driven, wanting to improve government and everyday lives
    -The firm has had rapid growth, moving into new areas ever day based on its employees' resourcefulness
    -Best, brightest and most committed can reap big rewards

Cons

-Fast organic growth over 25+ years has led to growing pains in some areas, like IT infrastructure and management training. This has improved gradually.

-There is high variation in worker experience across the firm, toward the good and bad.
      --In some areas, work can be very challenging, requiring learning skills and flexibility not everyone has.
      --In others areas, the work can be tough and even sometimes grinding, based on competitive markets and contract performance criteria.
      --Because its so entrepreneurial, managers have great independence, which also means that worker experiences depend a lot on their leadership.

Poor client/project management for I.T. projects.

Former Contractor - IT Consultant/Computer Programmer Analyst in Boston, MA
    Former Contractor - IT Consultant/Computer Programmer Analyst in Boston, MA

I worked at Public Consulting Group as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Ironically, this is a great place for poor performers. You are pulled in so many different directions there is no way for management to hold most people accountable for what you are asked to do. You always have the excuse of "I was told to stop working on project x and now work on project y".

Cons

If you take pride in your work, see above...

Advice to Management

Stop trying to be a software services/product company. You are a consulting organization!

Was a "consultant" for a grand total of 4 work days.

Former Contractor - Business Analyst in Boston, MA
    Former Contractor - Business Analyst in Boston, MA

I worked at Public Consulting Group as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The pay was good, but no better than industry standard. I did my paperwork through a temp agency. I guess it's so they can "turn and burn" you.

Cons

Egotistical supervisor, no way to speak to someone else involved in the project. Critical of my work even though no clear direction. Just disparaging remarks. No benefits, keep you at 35 hours a week so they don't have to give you benefits.

Advice to Management

I was brought on to do a very specific job because of my past experience and expertise. If you don't like my work for some reason, as least explain why before showing someone the door.

Not a long term employer

Former Employee - Consultant
    Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Public Consulting Group

Pros

Great team, work/life pretty flexible, opportunities to branch to several projects.

Cons

Management- poor planning strategies
    Management - poor communication
    Management - lack ethics

Advice to Management

Poor planning results in failed New opportunities and loss of talented resources. Train your management team to better at planning rather than micro managers.

8. Nice...

Current Employee - Program Coordinator in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Program Coordinator in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Public Consulting Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

All good at this time...

Cons

None at this time for real.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do.

Would Not Recommend

I worked at Public Consulting Group

Pros

The only pro I can think of is friendly coworkers

Cons

No clear direction, No work-life balance, no formal training, Some folks (mostly at the director level) need to lose the ego

Advice to Management

We are all people working towards a common goal. Don't forget that everyone has to start somewhere.

Lawsuit Waiting to Happen

Former Employee - Business Analyst
    Former Employee - Business Analyst

I worked at Public Consulting Group (less than a year)

Pros

The ability to network with other people in the field, the ability to travel for work (see cons for flip side), good work experience

Cons

I worked in Denver office. It was a totally unprofessional office, very sexist and discriminatory work environment (HR and management refuse to address), forced to travel unexpectedly and with <24 hours notice, regular refusal of PTO which you can't carry over and can't be paid back for not using, Denver office is totally isolated from other offices even though it's not the only office in the state, very low salary, expected to work weekends and overtime on a regular basis without compensation, people constantly stab each other in the back at work, quality of work by management of office is very low quality. It's an office where people work and they leave as soon as they possibly can. Not shocked to see HR is still trying to fill positions in the office, it is a toxic work environment so people leave ASAP.

Advice to Management

Stop sexually harassing people, stop physically harassing people, stop making the office such a boys only club, stop behaviors that force all women out of the office. Denver Downtown office's management has terrible reputation in state. I quit as soon as I had another job offer.

Burning out their most talented and promising staff

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Public Consulting Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Despite a unilateral lack of appreciation by management, there is a small group of committed, talented individuals here and it is a pleasure to work with them. The support that my peers offer is one of the few things that has kept me here as long as I have been.

Cons

Compensation is below market value which is openly acknowledged by senior management. Junior level managers are told to essentially "put their time in" and eventually it will be rewarded. In this case time means 7-10 years. While these junior managers are putting their time in, work/life balance is nonexistent and any effort to push back or to establish boundaries is met with derision by management. This creates a culture where junior staff is afraid to even take the PTO that they have earned, with many of us losing earned time at the end of every year. The overwhelming effect is very demoralizing which is reflected in high staff turnover rates.

Advice to Management

Learn how to incentivize and reward your employees. If you are going to pay below market value, then empower your employees to use their vacation time and achieve work/life balance. Without any of this, you are creating a culture of burnout and you will continue to lose some of your most talented employees.