Public Consulting Group

Updated September 17, 2014
3.1

Public Consulting Group President William S Mosakowski
William S Mosakowski

Pros
  • The Boston office is in a great location (in 10 reviews)

• This is a great place to build your resume and learn to cover your back (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Little development of skills, and work-life balance does not improve until the senior consultant level (in 17 reviews)

• No work-life balance for junior staff (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Could be a great place

I have been working at Public Consulting Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free Coffee, Gym, great location
    A handful of decent people

Cons

Most employees are looking out for #1 and that does not include you. Have to be ready to stab coworkers in the back to get ahead. HR department is a mess, no one is actually happy to help, cheap, and careless.

Wake up and smell the coffee! Just because someone has been here longer doesn't make them better.

You need to spend money, to make money.

Great place to cut your teeth

Former Employee - Production Support Manager  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Production Support Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Public Consulting Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You will learn a lot, you will be tested, and you will come out ahead of the game. At least that's how it worked out for me. To anyone in IT I would say working at PCG could be a great opportunity to expand your skill set and gain exposure to an enormously heterogeneous infrastructure that you won't see at other similarly sized companies. Your soft skills will be refined and developed in ways they won't be at many other places.

Cons

If you are thin skinned, sensitive, insecure or otherwise unable to handle a complex and demanding work culture then you might not like it, but then again if you would describe yourself with any of those terms you might be in the wrong business. If you stay here longer than 3-5 years you are doing yourself a serious disservice. The company isn't interested in developing and retaining IT talent.

None really, what they're doing seems to be working just fine for them.

The Opportunity is what you make it.

Current Employee - Director  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at Public Consulting Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I've been with PCG now for more than ten years. I started at the bottom and made several moves through the company before reaching the position of Director. It wasn't easy. I had to work for it. PCG gave me many opportunities and each time I rose to the challenge. I didn't wait for them to hand things to me. I made my own path and was rewarded for it.

PCG is full of rewarding career opportunities. Each year the company takes a step forward. It evolves and learns from its mistakes. Have an idea to make things better? Stand up and be heard. They do listen.

Now you will hear that IT has struggled to keep pace with current technologies. And that was true. But things are really changing in this area. The staff has doubled and old staff members have been re-energized with the help of a new CIO and a major investment in infrastructure.

Cons

Communication of news and events within the company is sparce.

Invest in communication tools to increase collaboration within and across offices.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A dreadful experience

Former Employee - Manager  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Public Consulting Group full-time

Pros

This firm is profitable despite its incompetent leadership, but the money stays at the top.

Cons

There are roughly 35 PCG offices and most of them operate as small companies, with no unity or collaboration. This is largely due to pathetic internal communication and a complete lack of collaborative resources. It is expected that employees work well beyond normal hours without additional compensation. This is not a 9 to 5 job, it’s more like 8 to 8. Work/Life balance at PCG is skewed toward burnout, which fits their trend of extremely high turnover for the industry. A former colleague and PCG HR recruiter acknowledged that Public Consulting Group’s pay scale is well below the industry average. The company is privately held and the principals are aging multi-millionaires. It has been rumored they will likely sell the firm and cash out soon. Most PCG employees would benefit from being bought out by a firm like Maximus or Accenture.

-Consultants are driven hard and must offload tasks to under qualified junior staff. Major bs’ing is routinely incorporated into last-minute PCG proposals.

-The marketing department is completely inept and regarded as a joke among consultants. One of the principals poses as a marketing director with no experience in business development or leadership, for that matter.

-Management berates and intimidates employees who don't work 50-60 hours per week.

-The IT department cannot keep pace with daily demands on their systems and the archaic state of email and network reliability is frustrating and costly. IT staff is competent for the most part, but management hasn't supported or funded their much needed infrastructure improvements.

-HR turns a blind eye to obvious recurring problems regarding favoritism, bullying and harassment, and only serves to protect PCG ownership from potential liabilities.

Any favorable reviews on this site can be ignored as an attempt by management to offset the factual, negative feedback that so many have provided. These are not complaints, but rather impassioned pleas to those considering working for this severely crippled company to stay away.

If you're considering working for Public Consulting Group, reconsider!

Sell your misguided company and retire. Let a reputable firm bring in true management professionals to take the helm and re-direct PCG away from its “sinking ship” status.

I wouldn't...

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Public Consulting Group full-time

Pros

If you work hard and have good ideas, you can kind of build out your own path. There's a lot going on, so you could potentially try out different projects. Pay is fair and bonus is decent -- though apparently less than other consulting work.

Cons

I'd echo many of the cons already posted here like:
    *No work/life balance
    *Significant issues with products
    *Tension between teams and offices, lots of game playing
    *Favoritism
    *Cliques and bullying (in at least one office)
    *High turnover --> training and re-training people
    *Take on projects without providing proper staffing --> overloading staff
    *Upper management not interested in solving problems just "quieting" them

I'd take a closer look at your technological systems and office culture.

The grass IS greener on the other side

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Public Consulting Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are some great, hardworking people at PCG. I had many good teams and challenging, interesting work. The exposure and responsibility early on in one's career is remarkable.

Cons

Upper management is problematic and dysfunctional. Even when you have (or are one of the) good managers that strives to do right by their employees, upper management tamps down any initiatives that would truly make PCG a better place to work.

When good people leave, it feels like they're escaping. Management's response is "oh, they always think the grass is greener on the other side, but the problems we have are just part of business life." As a former employee: That's just not true. While I appreciate the skills and experiences I had at PCG, when I left, I got a $30K raise, better benefits, better work/life balance, a positive and productive work culture, and a place that truly celebrates employees, rather than treating them like the worker bees of the shareholders.

Wake up -- people are leaving in droves. You have a chance to turn this around, but you need to invest in changing the corporate culture. Bill: The buck stops with you. Invest in training, invest in employee resource groups, bump up salaries to market, and start treating your employees like what they really are -- the most important asset that the company has. Hire someone who doesn't drink the Kool-Aid and will tell you what you don't want to hear.

Toxic environment, stay away. It gets MUCH better once you leave

Former Employee - Consultant  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at Public Consulting Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great location. Convenient to multiple public transportation lines.
    Some of the people are nice, a lot are smart and hard working.

Cons

Where to start...
    Lower level staff are given no respect at all. Quote from a manager in Human Services regarding the hiring of a new business analyst: "Can't we just pick someone off the street to do what they do?"

The pay is horrible. They pay WELL below industry average. The bonus structure is decent, but does not even come close to making up for the low salary. While the pay is terrible at the bottom, it's great at the top. Bill and the rest of his partners make millions.

Long hours. People are routinely "asked" to work nights and weekends. When a senior consultant asked management how they were supposed to stay billable while working on so many proposals, they were told that "proposal work is meant to be done on your time." Young staff, often young female staff, are often volunteered to stay late (like 11pm or so) to work on proposals that make management more money (their bonus is tied to the revenue they bring in), but doesn't do a thing for them. In fact, if you volunteer to stay late "to show you're a team player" you frequently get "asked" to do the same again and again.

No work/life balance. This goes hand and hand with long hours, but women should definitely think twice about working here. It's definitely an "old boys club." Many of the higher up women in the company are single with no children. I did not want that to happen to me. This place takes over your life, so if having a family or any type of work/life balance is important to you, stay away.

Toxic Environment. Young staff is "encouraged" to stay late (passed 6pm) to put in face time. The later you stay the more it gives the appearance of working hard. What ever happened to rewarding people based on the actual merits of their work and not how much face time they put in?

IT. Very frequent IT issues. The email system went down on a weekly, almost daily basis. The drive where all your files are stored frequently gets full, and IT is forced to ask you to delete files before you can save new files. I didn't have great insight into the IT dept, but from reading the reviews some have posted, it doesn't seem to be their fault, just lack of investment/caring by upper management. As is typical, they try to get people to get their work done by spending as little money as possible.

Poor Quality of work. PCG tries to sell its "expertise" in a lot of different fields. To all the PCG clients out there: the people who sold you on the fact that they could do the work are not the same people who actually do the work. The work is actually done by recent college grads in their early twenties with no real expertise or knowledge of Medicare laws. We would make things up on the fly, and our managers would accept it, because let's face it...they didn't know any better either.

See above

Decent company. Nothing is perfect. Decent ITS

Former Employee - Vmware Engineer  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Vmware Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Public Consulting Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

New technologies to learn in IT.

Fast pace

Great bonus

ITS Director takes care of you by sending to training and understanding your needs.

Also he is very loyal and understands if you're late or working from home on occasion.

He tells you what to improve and you gives you opportunity to grow.

If you work hard- rewards are garanteed

He has been in my position before and knows what takes to become a better systems engineer

Rome was not built in one day, and as Obama says, loyal and hard working people will make a difference.

During my employment in ITS he was super loayal and helped grow as an architect.

I moved on and miss the team now!

Cons

Give more respect to ITS, they really deserved it, they really do. Everyone of us worked hard, sometimes sleeping two hour per night and being sick.
    This is the most hard-working department.
    Be loyal to them. Things are getting better!

Invest more money into IT, into people, into training and you will see good results!

Loyal and productive employees are always rewarded

Current Employee - IT Director  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - IT Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at Public Consulting Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great and dynamic place to work, new technology, rapid change, never bored. Many opportunities to learn and collaborate.

Cons

Legacy skills in a few individuals who may not want to change or learn.

Keep building a progressively improved environment to provide opportunities for people interested in being challenged.

Wait!!! Are you certain you want to join ITS?

Former Employee - Sys Administrative  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sys Administrative in Boston, MA

I worked at Public Consulting Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent yearly bonus. Good location where you can use public transportaion

In-house coffee, close to StarBucks and DD

Cons

Long weekend work and late nights. The standard week is 60 hours.
    High burnout. Clueless management.
    No training whatsoever
    Rude and unprofessional management
    Super high level of stress. Unhealthy atmosphere where they throw you in water with sharks.
    Almost every day is an outage
    No rewards
    They expect you to give them 150 % daily
    No life/work balance. Forget about your life and family, work becomes your life style. Welcome to ITS...

Hire professionals

Worked for Public Consulting Group? Contribute to the Community!