Public Consulting Group

Updated December 17, 2014
Updated December 17, 2014

Public Consulting Group President William S Mosakowski
William S Mosakowski

Pros
  • This is a great place to build your resume and learn to cover your back (in 11 reviews)

• The Boston office is in a great location (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Little development of skills, and work-life balance does not improve until the senior consultant level (in 19 reviews)

• No work-life balance for junior staff (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place for experience but not for long term employment

Current Employee - Claim Developer in Clarkston, WA
    Current Employee - Claim Developer in Clarkston, WA

I have been working at Public Consulting Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent co-workers, decent work environment, nice facilities, good medical coverage, excellent 401k benefits after 1 year of employment, good place to gain experience, a good stepping stone

Cons

Lack of good leadership, team work is promoted by supervisors but not shown, nepotism, no opportunity to advance, large degree of experience wanted with large workloads expected with mediocre salaries, no opportunity for decent raise, everyone is for themselves, it's about numbers not necessarily quality of work, management follows their own rules/come and go as they please and make their own schedules. Some micromanagement.

Provide leadership training to office managers, supervisors, and leads.

A good place to get experience

Former Employee - Accounts Payable Coordinator in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable Coordinator in Boston, MA

I worked at Public Consulting Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You can learn a lot from this company.

Cons

Not too much of a help when you need assistance, everybody for their self.

Keep up the good work!

Low Compensation and bad management

I have been working at Public Consulting Group

Pros

Good Benefit package and PTO

Cons

Management is poor and compensation is low

Market Strong, but poor management

Current Employee - IT Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Public Consulting Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great location. Decent pay, bonus. But ask ANYONE who worked there.

Cons

I was in the IT dept at the Boston office for 3+ years. From day one to the last day, the energy and personalities never changed. The CIO they hired (their 1st) was a friend of the owner. While he had tech credibility and experience he battled every day and lost. We as the staff were always crippled by the business owners. They would sign 99.999 uptime contracts, and then deny all funding to IT infrastructure. Sure, happens everywhere? Not to this extent. Turnover was alwasy huge. Anyone good would leave within 3 - 9 months. Working 24/7 with terrible resources was no way to retain the talent they needed.

Definately Stay Away. Don't be tempted by the location/pay. I still have several friends there. They describe a terrible place that just cant get better.

Get a completely new board. Even you Bill. It is filled with owners and cronies who have NO idea what the company does. It trickles down. Your middle to upper management is so very poor. Your key skill resources turn over at ridiculous rates.

PCG is an outstanding opportunity for hard working recent undergraduate students!

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Boston, MA

I worked at Public Consulting Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

As my first job out of college, PCG gave me excellent exposure to all aspects of the consulting industry. Below were my favorite aspects of the job:

1. Work for the public sector clients.

At PCG, you will get exposure to working with government agencies. In the end of the day, this is good work. For your benefit, a senior consultant and a consultant will give you the opportunity to conduct research, present a stakeholder meetings, perform financial analysis, prepare monthly and annual reports just to name a few.

2. You will have the best co-workers.

Most people at PCG are genuinely smart, hard-workers and good people in general. They do whatever it takes to get the job done. People at PCG and in consulting in general, have the ability to "figure out" things. They will not be holding your hands but they will be there, by your side, working hard to get things done. You will always have company for social activities and most people are young. Most importantly, you will make great friends at this company.

3. Travel!

I had the great opportunity to travel while at PCG. I traveled, on average, only 1-2 times a month to a fun state. It is a great opportunity because you get to see different parts of the country. When work is done, you have the opportunity to explore and take tons of cool pictures. You will also get the perks of airline and hotel points. I have not paid for hotel stays or flights for my personal trips thanks to all of my points! On the flip side, there are people who travel every week and don't enjoy it as much. However, if you are a recent graduate, then this should be fun.

Other pros:

Location: PCG is at the heart of the financial district in BOSTON.

Holiday parties: Top-notch. The latest party was on an island and we ate lobster!

Bonus: Generous bonus check. I will talk about salary soon but year end bonus and Christmas bonus are very good.

Training: PCG is working to improve training. The ChIP program is helping and it will keep improving.

Opportunity to grow: PCG is growing at a very fast rate. There are many new projects and people are having the opportunity to move up quickly if you work very hard. There were several people on my team that work at PCG since college!

Cons

1. Work-Life Balance

You will work on average 50 hours+ per week; sometimes more. If you commute from far, then hours can take a even bigger toll on you. PCG is not for everyone. You need to stay positive and look at the bright side of everything because otherwise you will be miserable. The hours are long due to a combination of factors:

- Consulting industry (mercy of clients, more work than time to do it)

- Steep Learning curve. You will get tons of responsibilities and your consultant and senior consultant will rely on you to "figure it out" and "get it done" since they are even more busier than you.

-Not enough staff in my opinion. Sometimes you will be working alone on tasks/ deliverables when in an ideal world there should be 2-3 people working on it.

2. Compensation:

Compensation is below market average. Although it can reach market level if you factor in the experience that you are getting, airline/hotel perks, health reimbursement (if you are in someone else's insurance plan), year end bonus, Christmas bonus and referral bonus. I left for another company and I saw a 20% increase my salary not including any benefits or bonus!

3. Benefits

PCG does not offer exceptional benefits. A good benefit would be transit reimbursement. There are many commuters at the company and this would be a great benefit to offer, even for those who live in the boston area and use the subway!

The company means well. There are many areas that needs improvement but here are a few based on my experience:

1. Hire more staff.

I understand that the management team wants to see big bonus checks but the lower level staff are getting burnt out. PCG is growing over 20% every year but is lacking in hiring. To keep up the quality of work, you need to hire more! Quality work means that the client will want you forever!

2. Increase pay.

PCG staff work extremely hard for you. You are doing the company a disservice if you don't raise their salary to market level in order to give them more reasons to stay. Good work and great co-workers is not enough anymore to keep talented staff.

3. Offer more benefits.

I have seem cut-backs in benefits (healthcare, transit) and that is not cool. Please work on offering more benefits because your workforce really deserves it.

PCG is a great company for self starters who are willing to work hard to get ahead.

Current Employee - Consultant in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Consultant in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Public Consulting Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity to take on workload and responsibility. Accommodating work environment. Fast paced, with opportunity for independent work within a team framework.

Cons

Lean staffing model leads to tight deadline windows

It's all about the numbers

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Public Consulting Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Hiring model focuses on college graduates - good opportunity to get experience right out of school.

Cons

Management is compensated individually with large bonuses on a % of profit. This means lean staff (to keep costs down), in-fighting over who gets "credit" for a sale, and less focus on doing a good job for clients after a sale is made. A disfunctional family on a good day. It's truly all about the sales numbers and chasing ambulances.

Focus on developing customer relationships and delivering on promises, and sales will fall in your lap from repeat business.

Great place to start your career

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Public Consulting Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Strong leadership team who takes care of it's employees. ITS is the not the best place to be but overall small rewards like Christmas bonus and generous year end bonus make it a good place to start your career.

Cons

Disintegrated processes, the back office operations fall short and makes you wonder why the firm would not invest in cleaning up house

Invest in employee success programs and think big (private sector); you have more potential than you give yourself credit for.

Great experience for college grads, but some things do need to change.

Former Employee - Consultant in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Consultant in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Public Consulting Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I worked here for a little over 5 years (first as a business analyst and then as a consultant) and overall had a positive experience. This is a place where you will learn so much and you will continue to amaze yourself with your inner strength and ability to stay sane in many a high-pressure situation. PCG continues to grow at an insane rate and purposely lags in hiring, which gives entry-level staff an opportunity to develop a solid skill set across many operational areas - so, if you are not a fan of the 'sink-or-swim' approach, then you should not look here. I found that, in a very short time, I was either a major contributor to, or essentially managed, several projects. I really appreciated that, if I worked hard, I could forge my own path and I was on a team where that was accepted and encouraged. I also cannot say enough about the teams with which I worked. I was very fortunate to work with people who shared my work ethic and were able to provide support to each other when the going got tough. I was also lucky enough to benefit from the company's MBA program. While working full-time and taking 2-3 classes per semester for 18 months was extremely challenging, I benefited greatly from meeting/networking with my PCG cohort and receiving, essentially, a free MBA from Clark University.

Sure, there are some serious issues that the firm must eventually address, especially in terms of its substandard benefits, attitude towards entry-level staff (who do a majority of the work) and its unwillingness to recognize the need to invest in technology, but for an entry-level job, this is a great place to learn about and constantly challenge yourself. I was given opportunities that most people would not get so soon after graduating college and I learned and honed a lot of skills which will continue to serve me in the rest of my professional life.

Cons

Of course, every organization has its share of strengths and weaknesses. I found that my pay and benefits were sub-par compared to similar firms, especially since I felt that there was very little work-life balance. There was an expectation to put in long hours, which is not unique to PCG; however, it is not for everyone and I honestly got to a point where I started burning out from the constant stress. I will never forget being told that 'if you don't wake up stressed, then there's something wrong'. I got to a point where I finally realized how absurd that statement was.

I do believe that the firm as a whole does not feel the need to retain consulting staff - I have heard of several instances where upper management really did not understand/value the immense contributions of consulting staff. There is definitely a mentality that business analysts (and even consultants to some degree) are easily replaceable. And unfortunately, because PCG only seems to hire when the need is absolutely dire, offices hire at random times and do not have the time to thoroughly screen candidates.

The firm's unwillingness to understand how important its technology infrastructure is continues to baffle me. Upper management continues to think that 'PCG is not a tech company', which is highly misguided. There were weekly email/network outages and I will never forget losing almost 4 years of data and emails when our local server failed and no backup had ever been run because our office was 'not on the list'. In this day and age, that kind of failure is completely unacceptable. I never understood why the firm refused to hire more developers (many were hired on a contracted basis) - I remember the anguish of losing key developers because they no longer wanted to work on a contractual basis (which is completely reasonable). The firm also insists on using outdated and antiquated software/code, which won't help anyone in the long run.

Considering the rate at which the company is growing, the leadership team really needs to put more emphasis on retaining its talent. It seems that too often the firm will invest a significant amount of time training and developing staff, only to see them leave after they burn out and/or find an opportunity which will pay significantly more.

The firm desperately needs to take a serious look at its technology infrastructure and overall technology needs - putting band-aids on the core issue (i.e. need to operate in the 21st century) will only lead to serious problems in the future.

Good stepping stone but low pay

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Public Consulting Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to work on interesting projects

Cons

Bad corporate culture
    Low pay
    Bad management

Don't burn out the lower level staff