Public Consulting Group

Updated January 19, 2015
2.9

Public Consulting Group President William S Mosakowski
William S Mosakowski

Pros
  • This is a great place to build your resume and learn to cover your back (in 11 reviews)

• The Boston office is in a great location (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Little development of skills, and work-life balance does not improve until the senior consultant level (in 19 reviews)

• No work-life balance for junior staff (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

The most unprofessional and toxic environment you will ever see. Stay away if you can.

Former Employee - School Specialist/Business Analyst in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - School Specialist/Business Analyst in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Public Consulting Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Experience. You will develop skills with tools that you may not get elsewhere. You might also get some client exposure which is always a plus.

Also very little travel. Consulting is an industry that requires heavy travel, but not at PCG. You will get on a plane maybe once or twice a year and thats it.

Cons

Far too many to name (and most have been mentioned already by the dozens of other objective reviews):

-Unprofessional, immature, and incompetent management.
    -Humiliating and offensive work environment.
    -Zero respect for non-managerial staff.
    -Embarrassingly low pay.
    -No career development or growth.
    -Incredibly high turn over.

-Bullying, intimidation and harassment continues unabated. I personally have seen employees being verbally abused, harassed, and cursed at (yes, cursed at) by office managers. When the matter as raised to HR, nothing happens. The harassment only gets worse, and management will look to terminate you because you had the temerity to speak up.

-HR department is absolutely useless. All reports of harassment are swept under the rug.

-IT department is clueless. Not their fault as they are woefully underfunded and mismanaged, but all other offices suffer as a result.

PCG is good if you are looking to get experience on your resume and get out after a year or two. But jokes on you if you have any expectations to stay there long term. ALL non-managerial personnel have an exit plan. Folks join the firm, truly want to deliver high quality work and develop meaningful relationships, but the toxic culture destroys any ambition that you may have. You will find yourself looking for a new job within the first year that you start. Just look at the bizarrely high turn over rate within the firm. The talented, smart people leave in droves.

PCG will try to explain their high turn over as par for the course when in the consulting world... staff "burn out" because the work load is so demanding, they will tell you. That's not the case at all. We're in the consulting industry; we are fully aware that the hours will be long and there will be little work/life balance. We leave not because of burn out, but because of the toxic culture. Nobody wants to to come into a hostile, uncomfortable work environment everyday. Believe it or not, people prefer to be treated with respect and fairness when at work. These principles just don't mean anything to PCG. Once staff arrive at this realization (usually within the first couple of months), they start to work on their resumes and look for other opportunities.

And this is not some "jaded" employee. These are commonly held views (just look at the overall rating of this company on this site and the dozens of other bad reviews).

Stay away BY ALL MEANS. It will be the best career decision you will make.

None. Their business model is working. Bill and his cohorts continue making money hand over fist, while turn over is at a record high. They could care less about what we think. Bravo.

If you think you can help, you're in for a bad time.

Former Employee - Not Sales
    Former Employee - Not Sales

I worked at Public Consulting Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

More than enough work all the time.
    You won't need to worry about having a life.
    No need to worry about benefits (since you'll never get to use them).

Cons

Antiquated technology (both hardware and software) with no plan to address the situation in the medium-term.
    Smile-or-Die management style.

Stop asking for suggestions and attacking the messenger.
    Stop keeping your senior software engineers in week-long meetings.
    Develop a migration plan from your current technology stack that was antiquated three years ago into something more modern or better supported in the next three years.
    Upgrade the office workstations in the next year (not just four or five of the six year old machines).

A good place to get experience

Former Employee - Accounts Payable Coordinator in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable Coordinator in Boston, MA

I worked at Public Consulting Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You can learn a lot from this company.

Cons

Not too much of a help when you need assistance, everybody for their self.

Keep up the good work!

Good place for experience but not for long term employment

Current Employee - Claim Developer in Clarkston, WA
    Current Employee - Claim Developer in Clarkston, WA

I have been working at Public Consulting Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent co-workers, decent work environment, nice facilities, good medical coverage, excellent 401k benefits after 1 year of employment, good place to gain experience, a good stepping stone

Cons

Lack of good leadership, team work is promoted by supervisors but not shown, nepotism, no opportunity to advance, large degree of experience wanted with large workloads expected with mediocre salaries, no opportunity for decent raise, everyone is for themselves, it's about numbers not necessarily quality of work, management follows their own rules/come and go as they please and make their own schedules. Some micromanagement.

Provide leadership training to office managers, supervisors, and leads.

Low Compensation and bad management

I have been working at Public Consulting Group

Pros

Good Benefit package and PTO

Cons

Management is poor and compensation is low

Market Strong, but poor management

Current Employee - IT Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Public Consulting Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great location. Decent pay, bonus. But ask ANYONE who worked there.

Cons

I was in the IT dept at the Boston office for 3+ years. From day one to the last day, the energy and personalities never changed. The CIO they hired (their 1st) was a friend of the owner. While he had tech credibility and experience he battled every day and lost. We as the staff were always crippled by the business owners. They would sign 99.999 uptime contracts, and then deny all funding to IT infrastructure. Sure, happens everywhere? Not to this extent. Turnover was alwasy huge. Anyone good would leave within 3 - 9 months. Working 24/7 with terrible resources was no way to retain the talent they needed.

Definately Stay Away. Don't be tempted by the location/pay. I still have several friends there. They describe a terrible place that just cant get better.

Get a completely new board. Even you Bill. It is filled with owners and cronies who have NO idea what the company does. It trickles down. Your middle to upper management is so very poor. Your key skill resources turn over at ridiculous rates.

PCG is an outstanding opportunity for hard working recent undergraduate students!

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Boston, MA

I worked at Public Consulting Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

As my first job out of college, PCG gave me excellent exposure to all aspects of the consulting industry. Below were my favorite aspects of the job:

1. Work for the public sector clients.

At PCG, you will get exposure to working with government agencies. In the end of the day, this is good work. For your benefit, a senior consultant and a consultant will give you the opportunity to conduct research, present a stakeholder meetings, perform financial analysis, prepare monthly and annual reports just to name a few.

2. You will have the best co-workers.

Most people at PCG are genuinely smart, hard-workers and good people in general. They do whatever it takes to get the job done. People at PCG and in consulting in general, have the ability to "figure out" things. They will not be holding your hands but they will be there, by your side, working hard to get things done. You will always have company for social activities and most people are young. Most importantly, you will make great friends at this company.

3. Travel!

I had the great opportunity to travel while at PCG. I traveled, on average, only 1-2 times a month to a fun state. It is a great opportunity because you get to see different parts of the country. When work is done, you have the opportunity to explore and take tons of cool pictures. You will also get the perks of airline and hotel points. I have not paid for hotel stays or flights for my personal trips thanks to all of my points! On the flip side, there are people who travel every week and don't enjoy it as much. However, if you are a recent graduate, then this should be fun.

Other pros:

Location: PCG is at the heart of the financial district in BOSTON.

Holiday parties: Top-notch. The latest party was on an island and we ate lobster!

Bonus: Generous bonus check. I will talk about salary soon but year end bonus and Christmas bonus are very good.

Training: PCG is working to improve training. The ChIP program is helping and it will keep improving.

Opportunity to grow: PCG is growing at a very fast rate. There are many new projects and people are having the opportunity to move up quickly if you work very hard. There were several people on my team that work at PCG since college!

Cons

1. Work-Life Balance

You will work on average 50 hours+ per week; sometimes more. If you commute from far, then hours can take a even bigger toll on you. PCG is not for everyone. You need to stay positive and look at the bright side of everything because otherwise you will be miserable. The hours are long due to a combination of factors:

- Consulting industry (mercy of clients, more work than time to do it)

- Steep Learning curve. You will get tons of responsibilities and your consultant and senior consultant will rely on you to "figure it out" and "get it done" since they are even more busier than you.

-Not enough staff in my opinion. Sometimes you will be working alone on tasks/ deliverables when in an ideal world there should be 2-3 people working on it.

2. Compensation:

Compensation is below market average. Although it can reach market level if you factor in the experience that you are getting, airline/hotel perks, health reimbursement (if you are in someone else's insurance plan), year end bonus, Christmas bonus and referral bonus. I left for another company and I saw a 20% increase my salary not including any benefits or bonus!

3. Benefits

PCG does not offer exceptional benefits. A good benefit would be transit reimbursement. There are many commuters at the company and this would be a great benefit to offer, even for those who live in the boston area and use the subway!

The company means well. There are many areas that needs improvement but here are a few based on my experience:

1. Hire more staff.

I understand that the management team wants to see big bonus checks but the lower level staff are getting burnt out. PCG is growing over 20% every year but is lacking in hiring. To keep up the quality of work, you need to hire more! Quality work means that the client will want you forever!

2. Increase pay.

PCG staff work extremely hard for you. You are doing the company a disservice if you don't raise their salary to market level in order to give them more reasons to stay. Good work and great co-workers is not enough anymore to keep talented staff.

3. Offer more benefits.

I have seem cut-backs in benefits (healthcare, transit) and that is not cool. Please work on offering more benefits because your workforce really deserves it.

PCG is a great company for self starters who are willing to work hard to get ahead.

Current Employee - Consultant in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Consultant in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Public Consulting Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity to take on workload and responsibility. Accommodating work environment. Fast paced, with opportunity for independent work within a team framework.

Cons

Lean staffing model leads to tight deadline windows

It's all about the numbers

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Public Consulting Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Hiring model focuses on college graduates - good opportunity to get experience right out of school.

Cons

Management is compensated individually with large bonuses on a % of profit. This means lean staff (to keep costs down), in-fighting over who gets "credit" for a sale, and less focus on doing a good job for clients after a sale is made. A disfunctional family on a good day. It's truly all about the sales numbers and chasing ambulances.

Focus on developing customer relationships and delivering on promises, and sales will fall in your lap from repeat business.

Great place to start your career

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Public Consulting Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Strong leadership team who takes care of it's employees. ITS is the not the best place to be but overall small rewards like Christmas bonus and generous year end bonus make it a good place to start your career.

Cons

Disintegrated processes, the back office operations fall short and makes you wonder why the firm would not invest in cleaning up house

Invest in employee success programs and think big (private sector); you have more potential than you give yourself credit for.