Public Consulting Group

Updated October 21, 2014
Updated October 21, 2014

Public Consulting Group President William S Mosakowski
William S Mosakowski

Pros
  • The Boston office is in a great location (in 10 reviews)

• This is a great place to build your resume and learn to cover your back (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Little development of skills, and work-life balance does not improve until the senior consultant level (in 18 reviews)

• No work-life balance for junior staff (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

It's all about the numbers

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Public Consulting Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Hiring model focuses on college graduates - good opportunity to get experience right out of school.

Cons

Management is compensated individually with large bonuses on a % of profit. This means lean staff (to keep costs down), in-fighting over who gets "credit" for a sale, and less focus on doing a good job for clients after a sale is made. A disfunctional family on a good day. It's truly all about the sales numbers and chasing ambulances.

Focus on developing customer relationships and delivering on promises, and sales will fall in your lap from repeat business.

Great place to start your career

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Public Consulting Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Strong leadership team who takes care of it's employees. ITS is the not the best place to be but overall small rewards like Christmas bonus and generous year end bonus make it a good place to start your career.

Cons

Disintegrated processes, the back office operations fall short and makes you wonder why the firm would not invest in cleaning up house

Invest in employee success programs and think big (private sector); you have more potential than you give yourself credit for.

Great experience for college grads, but some things do need to change.

Former Employee - Consultant in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Consultant in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Public Consulting Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I worked here for a little over 5 years (first as a business analyst and then as a consultant) and overall had a positive experience. This is a place where you will learn so much and you will continue to amaze yourself with your inner strength and ability to stay sane in many a high-pressure situation. PCG continues to grow at an insane rate and purposely lags in hiring, which gives entry-level staff an opportunity to develop a solid skill set across many operational areas - so, if you are not a fan of the 'sink-or-swim' approach, then you should not look here. I found that, in a very short time, I was either a major contributor to, or essentially managed, several projects. I really appreciated that, if I worked hard, I could forge my own path and I was on a team where that was accepted and encouraged. I also cannot say enough about the teams with which I worked. I was very fortunate to work with people who shared my work ethic and were able to provide support to each other when the going got tough. I was also lucky enough to benefit from the company's MBA program. While working full-time and taking 2-3 classes per semester for 18 months was extremely challenging, I benefited greatly from meeting/networking with my PCG cohort and receiving, essentially, a free MBA from Clark University.

Sure, there are some serious issues that the firm must eventually address, especially in terms of its substandard benefits, attitude towards entry-level staff (who do a majority of the work) and its unwillingness to recognize the need to invest in technology, but for an entry-level job, this is a great place to learn about and constantly challenge yourself. I was given opportunities that most people would not get so soon after graduating college and I learned and honed a lot of skills which will continue to serve me in the rest of my professional life.

Cons

Of course, every organization has its share of strengths and weaknesses. I found that my pay and benefits were sub-par compared to similar firms, especially since I felt that there was very little work-life balance. There was an expectation to put in long hours, which is not unique to PCG; however, it is not for everyone and I honestly got to a point where I started burning out from the constant stress. I will never forget being told that 'if you don't wake up stressed, then there's something wrong'. I got to a point where I finally realized how absurd that statement was.

I do believe that the firm as a whole does not feel the need to retain consulting staff - I have heard of several instances where upper management really did not understand/value the immense contributions of consulting staff. There is definitely a mentality that business analysts (and even consultants to some degree) are easily replaceable. And unfortunately, because PCG only seems to hire when the need is absolutely dire, offices hire at random times and do not have the time to thoroughly screen candidates.

The firm's unwillingness to understand how important its technology infrastructure is continues to baffle me. Upper management continues to think that 'PCG is not a tech company', which is highly misguided. There were weekly email/network outages and I will never forget losing almost 4 years of data and emails when our local server failed and no backup had ever been run because our office was 'not on the list'. In this day and age, that kind of failure is completely unacceptable. I never understood why the firm refused to hire more developers (many were hired on a contracted basis) - I remember the anguish of losing key developers because they no longer wanted to work on a contractual basis (which is completely reasonable). The firm also insists on using outdated and antiquated software/code, which won't help anyone in the long run.

Considering the rate at which the company is growing, the leadership team really needs to put more emphasis on retaining its talent. It seems that too often the firm will invest a significant amount of time training and developing staff, only to see them leave after they burn out and/or find an opportunity which will pay significantly more.

The firm desperately needs to take a serious look at its technology infrastructure and overall technology needs - putting band-aids on the core issue (i.e. need to operate in the 21st century) will only lead to serious problems in the future.

Good stepping stone but low pay

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Public Consulting Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to work on interesting projects

Cons

Bad corporate culture
    Low pay
    Bad management

Don't burn out the lower level staff

Great place to cut your teeth

Former Employee - Production Support Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Production Support Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Public Consulting Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You will learn a lot, you will be tested, and you will come out ahead of the game. At least that's how it worked out for me. To anyone in IT I would say working at PCG could be a great opportunity to expand your skill set and gain exposure to an enormously heterogeneous infrastructure that you won't see at other similarly sized companies. Your soft skills will be refined and developed in ways they won't be at many other places.

Cons

If you are thin skinned, sensitive, insecure or otherwise unable to handle a complex and demanding work culture then you might not like it, but then again if you would describe yourself with any of those terms you might be in the wrong business. If you stay here longer than 3-5 years you are doing yourself a serious disservice. The company isn't interested in developing and retaining IT talent.

None really, what they're doing seems to be working just fine for them.

Mission driven company in the private sector

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Public Consulting Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people
    Attentive and accessible leadership
    Top-down commitment to serving public sector clients
    Projects have a strong sense of purpose

Cons

Tendency to be pulled in many directions since teams are not dedicated to projects
    Travel can be unpredictable
    Although compensation has been adjusted recently, still lower than competing firms in the area

Could be a great place

I have been working at Public Consulting Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free Coffee, Gym, great location
    A handful of decent people

Cons

Most employees are looking out for #1 and that does not include you. Have to be ready to stab coworkers in the back to get ahead. HR department is a mess, no one is actually happy to help, cheap, and careless.

Wake up and smell the coffee! Just because someone has been here longer doesn't make them better.

You need to spend money, to make money.

The Opportunity is what you make it.

Current Employee - Director in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at Public Consulting Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I've been with PCG now for more than ten years. I started at the bottom and made several moves through the company before reaching the position of Director. It wasn't easy. I had to work for it. PCG gave me many opportunities and each time I rose to the challenge. I didn't wait for them to hand things to me. I made my own path and was rewarded for it.

PCG is full of rewarding career opportunities. Each year the company takes a step forward. It evolves and learns from its mistakes. Have an idea to make things better? Stand up and be heard. They do listen.

Now you will hear that IT has struggled to keep pace with current technologies. And that was true. But things are really changing in this area. The staff has doubled and old staff members have been re-energized with the help of a new CIO and a major investment in infrastructure.

Cons

Communication of news and events within the company is sparce.

Invest in communication tools to increase collaboration within and across offices.

A dreadful experience

Former Employee - Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Public Consulting Group full-time

Pros

This firm is profitable despite its incompetent leadership, but the money stays at the top.

Cons

There are roughly 35 PCG offices and most of them operate as small companies, with no unity or collaboration. This is largely due to pathetic internal communication and a complete lack of collaborative resources. It is expected that employees work well beyond normal hours without additional compensation. This is not a 9 to 5 job, it’s more like 8 to 8. Work/Life balance at PCG is skewed toward burnout, which fits their trend of extremely high turnover for the industry. A former colleague and PCG HR recruiter acknowledged that Public Consulting Group’s pay scale is well below the industry average. The company is privately held and the principals are aging multi-millionaires. It has been rumored they will likely sell the firm and cash out soon. Most PCG employees would benefit from being bought out by a firm like Maximus or Accenture.

-Consultants are driven hard and must offload tasks to under qualified junior staff. Major bs’ing is routinely incorporated into last-minute PCG proposals.

-The marketing department is completely inept and regarded as a joke among consultants. One of the principals poses as a marketing director with no experience in business development or leadership, for that matter.

-Management berates and intimidates employees who don't work 50-60 hours per week.

-The IT department cannot keep pace with daily demands on their systems and the archaic state of email and network reliability is frustrating and costly. IT staff is competent for the most part, but management hasn't supported or funded their much needed infrastructure improvements.

-HR turns a blind eye to obvious recurring problems regarding favoritism, bullying and harassment, and only serves to protect PCG ownership from potential liabilities.

Any favorable reviews on this site can be ignored as an attempt by management to offset the factual, negative feedback that so many have provided. These are not complaints, but rather impassioned pleas to those considering working for this severely crippled company to stay away.

If you're considering working for Public Consulting Group, reconsider!

Sell your misguided company and retire. Let a reputable firm bring in true management professionals to take the helm and re-direct PCG away from its “sinking ship” status.

I wouldn't...

Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Public Consulting Group full-time

Pros

If you work hard and have good ideas, you can kind of build out your own path. There's a lot going on, so you could potentially try out different projects. Pay is fair and bonus is decent -- though apparently less than other consulting work.

Cons

I'd echo many of the cons already posted here like:
    *No work/life balance
    *Significant issues with products
    *Tension between teams and offices, lots of game playing
    *Favoritism
    *Cliques and bullying (in at least one office)
    *High turnover --> training and re-training people
    *Take on projects without providing proper staffing --> overloading staff
    *Upper management not interested in solving problems just "quieting" them

I'd take a closer look at your technological systems and office culture.