Public Health Management Reviews

2.4
Richard J. Cohen

1. Great company

I have been working at Public Health Management full-time

Pros

Cares about workers, lots of room to move up in the company

Cons

low salary, no raises, no bonuses

Advice to Management

Work out better pay for workers

DO NOT WORK FOR PHMC! It is a trap-unless you are an executive then you get pampered...

Former Employee - Accounting Department
    Former Employee - Accounting Department

I worked at Public Health Management

Pros

Good benefits - that is about all you get from Public Health Management Corporation. I also especially like the benefit where regular employees get to have their salary frozen for years but the executive staff still get to receive HUGE bonuses based on results from the work of the underpaid employees.

Cons

They say open environment - I say hallway! How can you get work done sitting in a hallway, trying not to hear the 17 conversations going on around you and with the CEO bringing a tour group through the office everyday. Cannot eat at your desk but try getting one of the 75 seats available at lunch time for 700 employees. Nobody in HR knows what they are doing! Nobody in Facilities knows what they are doing! Nobody in Accounting knows what they are doing! Inexperienced management teams trying to do too much too fast - hands in the air with their feet on the gas - then running out of gas and getting mad at the toll booth operator. I know what does one have to do with the other - EXACTLY how PHMC operates!

Advice to Management

Time to move on...find another job - you been there too long! Let a fresh pair of eyes in - stop trying to manage using fear and scare tactics.

The Worst

Current Employee - Therapist
    Current Employee - Therapist

I have been working at Public Health Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

at the moment i am struggling to find any

Cons

Working for an organization that promotes incompetence, hires unprofessional directors and essentially hates people.

5. Nonprofit that operates like for profit

I have been working at Public Health Management

Pros

Large corporation and therefore relatively stable, benefits are ok though they could be better given their size and revenue, easily accessible by SEPTA

Cons

Salaries are artificially low for most based on the "nonprofit excuse" despite out of proportion salaries for top management, no chance to move up unless you are friends with certain people, HR seems to have no pay grade structure and pay is correlated to who you are friends with in the organization. Reactive management style, not strategic, everything is last minute and rush which leads to lack in quality. Pretentious and out of touch with the community they are supposed to serve.

Advice to Management

Dont hire your friends and family but people who are actually qualified and have experience. Bad leadership trickles down and all of the talented, motivated people take their talents else where. Only those who are complacent or part of the "in crowd" stay.

PHMC

Current Employee - Program Director in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Program Director in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Public Health Management

Pros

Great working environment, with an open floor plan, many places for collaboration. Promotes physical health with walking treadmills, onsite gym, stairs and gym classes during lunch. Able to have autonomy with work. They are very flexible with schedule and your not micromanaged. Its great for people who are just starting their career because you can learn alot. Its great for people who are seasoned because you can get paid a great salary.

Cons

It is easy to get stuck in a position. Salaries are low. There is no system to current employee to interview for jobs within affiliates and PHMC. Sometimes when you are offered a job you have to take a pay cut or in some cases you are offered less then the what he position was advertised. It feels like on the favorites get promoted or are offered different opportunities

Advice to Management

Take time to invest in staff who are ambitious.

I used to love working here but…

I have been working at Public Health Management full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits -wonderful healthcare and pension planned offered. Just about everyone I have met here works very hard. They do a tough job with out thanks for the most part but are glad to be doing good for the community.

Cons

Recognition for the hard work that my colleagues do day in and day out! A thank you for a job well done would be nice to hear! The new building with the open concept floor plan has led to poor morale everyone seems afraid to talk to each other now. We've grown to big and have lost our focus with bigger programs always getting the support they need and the smaller programs being left to flounder.

Advice to Management

Please stop favoriting the larger programs over the smaller ones. Each program is valuable in its own right and should be dealt with as such. All of us need to work together more and lend support to each other so that we may achieve the community outreach and support the people that need us the most.

8. COP is an alright place to work

Current Employee - Emergency Planner in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Emergency Planner in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Public Health Management full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great vacation benefits and holidays

Cons

Contracted to the city, there have been some conflicts between PHMC HR and City of Philadelphia HR

Horribly managed and desperately corrupt

I worked at Public Health Management

Pros

Had some great co-workers that would really work hard and collaborate on projects

Cons

worst managed company i've ever worked for the managers are useless the jr managers are spineless and lazy, nepotism and favoritism abound if you weren't constantly in fear of losing your job you were too busy being lectured by supervisors who couldn't be bothered to do any actual work, so glad i left on my own worst company ever and i hope they investigate the corrupted and thieving "leaders" of this company

Advice to Management

actually do some work and stop trying to skate by on the work of your underlings

Poor management

I have been working at Public Health Management

Pros

Care for residents very well

Cons

Everyone thinks they are the boss. Rules change by day!

11. Very positive

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Public Health Management full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very friendly environment and everyone worked together to get the job done.

Cons

The company had to close and merge with another organization.

RSS Feed </> Embed