Public Health Ontario

Updated Jun 16, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dr. Vivek Goel

Good work life balance, but unsatisfying.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIn general, I found PHO a rather unproblematic place to work. Colleagues and managers were nice and appreciative, great social atmosphere, workload was usually quite manageable.

ConsThe organization is very hierarchical, and positions tend to demand a lot of education and previous experience for tasks that rarely, if ever, required that level of knowledge or expertise. I felt quite demoralized at times and often very underutilized. The sense I got was that PHO's work culture was divided between "experts" (primarily MDs and a few PhDs), and everyone else, who were intended to support them silently in the background. As a consequence, it's difficult to see your career going anywhere; I felt that there was very little chance of career advancement, and that the skills I did have were quickly decaying.

At a macro level, the organization seems to lack a vision and an identity - it was unclear to me why I was undertaking the projects that I was undertaking, what the overall goals of the organization were, and where PHO fits in amongst the other governmental health and public health care organizations in this province. It claims its role is to provide expert guidance and support, but I generally had no idea whom our stakeholders were and what we were contributing to the province of Ontario, beyond producing more research papers.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out what your staff's strength and skills are and help them use these to the best of their abilities. Provide them with opportunities to learn and develop new skills, and try to create a culture where everyone feels enabled to contribute intellectually. Make sure staff are clear on the purpose and goals of the projects they are undertaking.

Good place to work if you are looking for work-life balance

ProsVery great people with Flexible hours to work

ConsNot much career advancement opportunities
    Not much exciting work

If you're not an epidemiologist, avoid. If you want to do a short term contact - go for it.

Analyst (Current Employee)
    Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros- Flexible work hours (pick your own hours)
    - Great pay on contract
    - Long term employees allowed to work from home (ie only favourite employees allowed to)
    - Good work recognized sometimes
    - Casual work atmosphere (people have cubicle toys at their desks)
    - C-level executive management are very nice

Cons- Incredibly political even among people of your own team. Very high school clique like - if you're not "cool" they won't like you (ie. most people are very insecure because they have been in their jobs for years and haven't grown into adults).
    - Other teams will file complaints with your manager for the most insignificant things (feels like working with 30-40 year old little children)
    - Absolutely no career growth. This is a dead-end job if you are not an epidemiologist - they own the place.
    - Severe lack of trust between managers and employees. Never seen anything like it.
    - Micromanagement taken to an extreme! (Tell me when you are not going to be at your desk, send me fyi emails on any work you do, etc etc...might as well ask employees to ask permission to go to the washroom. Not exaggerating here.
    - Manipulative management (constantly trying to keep employees emotionally off balance for sadistic reasons).
    - Unionized staff will take 3 weeks to do 5 minutes of work. Contractors do the work but unionized staff back-stab them all the time...not fun as a contractor.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to trust...micromanagement isn't leadership. Employees don't need your permission to send an email to more than one person.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Weak management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsGood pay, flexibility, work-life balance

ConsAuthoritarian management, rigid hierarchy, poor internal communication, non-collaborative environment, anxiety at various levels of management

Advice to Senior ManagementBe mindful of your management style and consider changing it. Ask what your employees think of your management style and listen to what they say in order to maximize their enthusiasm.

Lab Assistant

ProsGreat work environment, organized interview process

Conslow pay, no career growth

Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsA company focused on public health

Consthere is always a struggle with navigating bburocracy

Advice to Senior Management.

Worked for Public Health Ontario? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Public Health Ontario reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Public Health Ontario CEO Dr. Vivek Goel. All 6 reviews posted anonymously by Public Health Ontario employees.