Public Health Solutions

Add Photos

Ellen Rautenberg

great opportunity

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

Prosgreat network of professionals, good benefits, many different programs available for varying interests

Conssalary may not be competitive with others in industry

It was a learning experience but there were high levels of stress and lack of appreciation

Service Coordinator (Current Employee) Bronx, NY

ProsNo experience required, flexible schedule, ongoing training

Consstressful, undervalued, ridiculous productivity requirements, ineffective supervisors

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees for more than the amount of units they make

Very unpleasant experience

Borough Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsPaychecks were on time, and tax forms were sent on time, as required by law.

ConsVery difficult to access HR protection from management as a contractor through PHS. There is no way to air grievances that result in fair representation of contract-based employees. Management is assumed to be right, and is defended in grievance process.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour contractors deserve the same opportunity to have HR protections from abusive management that are offered to other PHS employees. No exit interview was available to me to explain the bias toward management.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Senior service coordinator

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThis was over all a great opportunity that entailed managing service coordinators

ConsThere are no cons just pros

Advice to Senior Managementawesome opportunity and happy for the chance to grow as a professional

Terrible, awful, and cheap

Contractor (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsNone - I can't see any benefit to working for an organization that is so incredibly stingy that they take months to process payments.

ConsIf you are a contractor, they will put off paying you until the last possible moment - invoices take WEEKS, often a month or more to process.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop pinching pennies by screwing over contractors. It's damaging your reputation more than you could ever know.

Public Health Solutions: A great place to work if you're smart, kind, and tough

Project Director (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe best reason for working at Public HealthSolutions, Inc. is the opportunity to help others in an effective way. We are a public health - oriented company that runs more WIC centers than any other company in NY state, we do back-office work for NY City in the field of Emergency Preparedness, and we run public health programs, often in a funding relationship with the NYC Department of Health. The opportunities to help others is the focus of what we do. However, a lot of people want to "help others." Can you help people in an effective way, can you be mentored by others wh can show you how to accomplish your goals in ways you never thought of? Can you be well-compensated for your work? Can you work in a supportive environment wh people who are so competent that they don't need to jockey for position (beyond healthy, good-spirited compeition?) I was shocked to find I could do all of this here. The chance to work with other dedicated, competent people exceeded my expectations. The current company quality-improvement emphasis is on collaboration. Compensation is bounded by the fact that Public Health Solutions is a non-profit; but I spoke to a VPof an exectutive recruiting firm in NYC, who saiod that the company salaries for my position are "competitive".

ConsLike alll non-for-profits, we are in contracts with our funders: municiplities, charities, foundations, and the like. This largely determines our timetables, our goals (especially in performce-based programs), and mostly, our budgets and line items. It can be severly frustrating to be circumscribed like this, when you can see ways to do better work in ways you cannot accomplish. The experience of doing outstanding work, and yet having a terrible budget crunch in the final year of a project, or worse, to be defunded when staff and clients are depending on a project, can take your breath away.

Advice to Senior ManagementChoose a less senior person and mentor him or her.
    Spend weekly time with the newest members of your department, so you are not just depending on your middle managers, but able to offer your own experienced take on the staff TO your middle managers.

It's a great company that does meaningful work in NYC, with a friendly but serious atmosphere.

Pros-It's great to work with a company that contributes to the welfare of others in your home city.
    - Though the company has a large amount of employees, there are many efforts to create unity between the different departments.

ConsDepending on the department you're in, the opportunity for position advancement doesn't seem too quick, as it depends on employee turnover- which doesn't seem high.

Worked for Public Health Solutions? Contribute to the Community!