Public Health Solutions

Ellen Rautenberg
1 Rating

Relaxing,

I have been working at Public Health Solutions

Pros

Relaxing, good coworkers, good boss, good benefit, lots of vacations and holidays

Cons

Less promotion opportunities, not business driven, reasonable but low pay

Great job for gaining entry-level experience, not too much room for growth.

I have been working at Public Health Solutions

Pros

passionate employees and wide-reaching programming

Cons

clearly delineated leadership levels, no flexibility to move up.

Good if you are in their central office

I worked at Public Health Solutions as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Upper management seems to have a better experience as well as nicer office space.

Cons

Certain departments/health clinics seem to be overworked, struggling with funding and receive shorter end of the stick.

A Good Internship

Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at Public Health Solutions as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The office that I interned in was small and friendly. The supervisor was very open.

Cons

Open plan space of the office was tough, especially with the amount of noise from other areas of the room.

Sound dampeners, if possible.

great opportunity

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Public Health Solutions full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

great network of professionals, good benefits, many different programs available for varying interests

Cons

salary may not be competitive with others in industry

It was a learning experience but there were high levels of stress and lack of appreciation

Current Employee - Service Coordinator in Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Service Coordinator in Bronx, NY

I have been working at Public Health Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

No experience required, flexible schedule, ongoing training

Cons

stressful, undervalued, ridiculous productivity requirements, ineffective supervisors

Value your employees for more than the amount of units they make

Very unpleasant experience

Former Employee - Borough Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Borough Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Public Health Solutions as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Paychecks were on time, and tax forms were sent on time, as required by law.

Cons

Very difficult to access HR protection from management as a contractor through PHS. There is no way to air grievances that result in fair representation of contract-based employees. Management is assumed to be right, and is defended in grievance process.

Your contractors deserve the same opportunity to have HR protections from abusive management that are offered to other PHS employees. No exit interview was available to me to explain the bias toward management.

Senior service coordinator

I worked at Public Health Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This was over all a great opportunity that entailed managing service coordinators

Cons

There are no cons just pros

awesome opportunity and happy for the chance to grow as a professional

Terrible, awful, and cheap

Current Employee - Contractor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Contractor in New York, NY

I have been working at Public Health Solutions as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

None - I can't see any benefit to working for an organization that is so incredibly stingy that they take months to process payments.

Cons

If you are a contractor, they will put off paying you until the last possible moment - invoices take WEEKS, often a month or more to process.

Stop pinching pennies by screwing over contractors. It's damaging your reputation more than you could ever know.

Public Health Solutions: A great place to work if you're smart, kind, and tough

Current Employee - Project Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Public Health Solutions

Pros

The best reason for working at Public HealthSolutions, Inc. is the opportunity to help others in an effective way. We are a public health - oriented company that runs more WIC centers than any other company in NY state, we do back-office work for NY City in the field of Emergency Preparedness, and we run public health programs, often in a funding relationship with the NYC Department of Health. The opportunities to help others is the focus of what we do. However, a lot of people want to "help others." Can you help people in an effective way, can you be mentored by others wh can show you how to accomplish your goals in ways you never thought of? Can you be well-compensated for your work? Can you work in a supportive environment wh people who are so competent that they don't need to jockey for position (beyond healthy, good-spirited compeition?) I was shocked to find I could do all of this here. The chance to work with other dedicated, competent people exceeded my expectations. The current company quality-improvement emphasis is on collaboration. Compensation is bounded by the fact that Public Health Solutions is a non-profit; but I spoke to a VPof an exectutive recruiting firm in NYC, who saiod that the company salaries for my position are "competitive".

Cons

Like alll non-for-profits, we are in contracts with our funders: municiplities, charities, foundations, and the like. This largely determines our timetables, our goals (especially in performce-based programs), and mostly, our budgets and line items. It can be severly frustrating to be circumscribed like this, when you can see ways to do better work in ways you cannot accomplish. The experience of doing outstanding work, and yet having a terrible budget crunch in the final year of a project, or worse, to be defunded when staff and clients are depending on a project, can take your breath away.

Choose a less senior person and mentor him or her.
    Spend weekly time with the newest members of your department, so you are not just depending on your middle managers, but able to offer your own experienced take on the staff TO your middle managers.