Public Interest Communications

3.1
CEO

1. Great place to work as a student

I worked at Public Interest Communications

Pros

Flexible hours - great to work as a student

Cons

It can be tough to call and ask for contributions

Very clickish.

Former Employee - Professional Fundraiser in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Professional Fundraiser in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Public Interest Communications

Pros

It seems to be fun for those who are in the clique.

Cons

They pay either commission or salary, vs. paying both. They also intentionally feed specific callers high performance calls from a specific list. If you're not one of their favorites they feed you low performance calls and than find a reason to fire you.

Advice to Management

Stop worrying so much about keeping your job by considering helping new callers make it to the next level.

3. Lack of Respect for Callers

I have been working at Public Interest Communications part-time

Pros

The hours are flexible and are good for students. Coworkers are probably the biggest pro. The people (not management) you work with are amazing. You can make life-long friends with the people you call beside.

Cons

This job isnt a hard job, the hard part is leaving your diginity at the door. In this company if you arent actively brown nosing you are expendable. The way the promotions are done is all by who is friends with who, it has nothing to do with the work they produce. They actually promote BAD CALLERS to become supervisors so they dont have to fire someone they "like". It is beyond an unproffessional environment. They currently have certain people mentoring new callers that have only been working in this job for less than 4 months. They are not doing the job properly and new callers are coming out with more questions. This is horrible for morale and a lot of long time employees are taking notice. The con in this company is the management and supervisors. They need to leave their friends at the door and do their jobs professionally. But i guess if you buddy up with a particular supervisor you probably will be getting more mentor bonuses and heck maybe even a promotion after 4 months.

Advice to Management

Treat callers with respect because in the end they are the ones doing the hard job. Treat employees fairly across the board.

5. Supervisor

I worked at Public Interest Communications full-time

Pros

There really aren't any pros to being a supervisor at PIC, besides not having to be on the phone. The callers don't have it so bad, but are treated as if they don't matter and are all replaceable.

Cons

It is a sad fact that superior job title, "brown nosing" and backstabbing are held in higher regard at PIC above hard/quality work and intellect. Preferential treatment of supervisors who never question the directors, or stand up for themselves when attacked on a personal level is the way in which the company functions. I have never worked at business where I have been given directives that have obvious flaws and could be approached in a lot more of an effective way, that when another approach would be suggested or the initial approach questioned it would never be taken into consideration, so I and any other supervisor that would do so would then be singled out for daring to think independently and try to help on behalf of the greater good/big picture. The upper management does not take personal responsibility when things go wrong, even when it was pointed out that what was happening was going to produce poor results and probably displease the client and the folks at the top of the company. I have never worked for people that would just place blame upon those beneath them because they could and then when discussing the issues would contradicted themselves so blatantly; always denying that a better suggestion was ever made and it is all the supervisors fault. I'm sorry but it is disgraceful that the supervisors get no credit and take all of the blame. I have never worked for people that were that out of touch with the industry they work in, and that willing to lie to save face to their superiors and place the blame on others. There are a couple of supervisors who would play right along and invariably agree with the directors and would even apologize for situations that they were not responsible for and were actually instructed to do. I'm sorry but the low pay at this company is not worth my self respect and dignity. If you would like to be demoralized and blamed for the short comings and incompetence of the two directors then this is the place for you! Also, I believe that if their clients knew how the employees are treated and how carelessly their donors are handled they would be appalled.

Advice to Management

Take a step back and truly realize how badly that you treat people and stop diluting yourselves that there is only way to do things and any suggestion to approach things otherwise are not affronts to your authority. The way in which the directors run the company needs to change, and the President and Vice-President should be aware that facebook is more important to certain individuals than doing quality work and paying attention to what is going on in terms of results and employee behavior while working for good charities.

6. rewarding

I worked at Public Interest Communications part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Calling on behalf of major national and international non-profits (i.e., Human, animal and environmental rights), political campaigns and world renowned broadcast companies and publications. Co-workers take their jobs seriously and professionally. Long term employee base.

Cons

A lot of first time floor Supervisors who as most first time managers, can get pretty controlling and demanding. Just ask to be placed under a different super.

Advice to Management

Keep doin' what you're doin'!

7. Good place to work and build job skills for the short term

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Public Interest Communications part-time (More than a year)

Pros

We do fundraising calls for various non-profit organizations, so if nothing else, I usually leave work feeling good about what I've done for the day. Supervisors are generally pretty friendly, although they all get a little harsh when under pressure (from management or just general busy-ness). The female sups are usually better at keeping this frustration under wraps. The woman who does the trainings is wonderful, as are the younger male supervisors. One in particular makes things a lot of fun. Weekend shifts seem like they'd be a drag, but the supervisors make sure that we have a little fun, and since it's less busy, they can focus on improving your skills more than they might during the week. For the most part, they work hard to make sure you do well. There is room for advancement here; people who do well get small hourly raises and lots of bonuses, some mentor new callers, and occasionally someone gets made a substitute supervisor. If you don't have a lot of job experience or if you are looking to change fields, this is a great place to be, since you learn all kinds of skills - persuasion, customer service with a touch of conflict resolution, politics and environmental activism, and more.

Cons

One of the day time sups is really anal and dismissive, but he does definitely know what he's doing. One of the night sups seems like he knows the job inside and out, but he's hard to find (always outside smoking) and doesn't put much effort into helping his callers. It's like he decides early on who is good and who isn't, then ignores them for either reason (doesn't need help, or not worth helping). The director is just really strange; it's impossible to tell if he's joking or serious when he makes inappropriate remarks and innuendos. The assistant director is ok, but he can be surly. Generally it is not a very professional environment. People constantly bad mouth each other at all levels. Plus, the pay sucks. It's really really hard to get enough hours to make a decent living unless you are one of the best callers in the office who makes over $15/hr. There are very few who do. When there aren't a lot of campaigns, even experienced callers get sent home early, which is especially bad when you consider we only work 5 hour shifts.

Advice to Management

Cut down on inter-office drama and gossip. Supervisors on the floor shouldn't be badmouthing other sups or management in front of callers/subordinates. Management is guilty of this as well. While it's nice that it's a very relaxed environment, some kind of dress code might help with the lack of professionalism. Not that anyone needs to wear a tie to work, but fewer gym shorts and dirty ripped jeans might help. Callers need some additional training to reinforce skills, outside of briefings, particularly because sups are often too busy to coach everyone everyday. What if instead of sending callers home early when all the campaigns run out, they had the option to stay for a brief workshop on how to ask for monthly gifts better or something? Or a briefing for callers who don't know a lot of campaigns?

Public Interest Communications

Current Employee - Fund Raiser in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Fund Raiser in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Public Interest Communications part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Mostly I like the job and the organization's we work for but I didn't expect people would be so mean when we call them. The supervisors are all pretty cool, there are two guys and one girl. The one guy is really nice but not really helpful when I ask questions. The other guy is nice too but makes me a little nervous trying to help and knows alot about the campaigns. I think he's always listening to me when I'm on the phone. The girl supervisor is nice but she has never really talk to me much except one time telling me about a campaign I never called before. The one thing I like is she showed all of us and video about the organization. There are two men that are in charge of everything. One guy leaves when I get there and another just stays in his office. Everyone seems nice but when I started on the phone I felt like I didn't know what to do exactly.

Cons

For training the trainer had us take a 20 minute lunch break but everyday we came back and set for another 20 minutes 2 half an hour well we could hear her in some guy's office laughing and goofing around. It seemed weird. 100 for training we started late because she was doing the same thing. The girl supervisor asked me if we had talked about dollar hedgers in training and when I said not really, she seemed frustrated. It made me nervous but she did spend a lot of time explaining it. so now I understand. She was nice but I did hear somebody call her The General.

9. I really like working here!

I have been working at Public Interest Communications

Pros

I recently started working here, and so far I'm pretty happy. The causes we call for are great. When I first applied I was worried it would be a scam, but it isn't. The organizations are well known, nationally recognized non profits and political groups. The training was great. The woman conducting the training was awesome. I was nervous at first, but I immediately felt more comfortable around her and her enthusiasm was very motivating. The training was fun, interactive, and thorough. I just wish it was longer, we only had 2 days. The supervisors are pretty good for the most part (with an exception of 1or 2...). The environment is very laid back, I quickly made friends, I like that there's not really a dress code, and the best thing is how flexible the schedule is... You make your own schedule. There are different bonuses that are nice, too.

Cons

The pay isn't that great. I wish there were 8 hour shifts so I could get more hours. I wish we had more of a say on which campaign we call for. Also, on a few occasions, early on, I had to leave early and I would have preferred to stay and learn something else to call. Some of the supervisors are more professional and helpful than others. One guy in particular walks around with a bad attitude and I'm sorry but I am not going to take you seriously when your clothes are dirty and you smell bad. Another supervisor, a girl, looks and acts like a stoner. (The other supervisors are great!)

Advice to Management

It would be nice if the base pay was higher. Also, set better standards for the supervisors. Maybe rethink the times and lengths of the shifts, offering even more flexibility and better options for those of us who want to work more hours.

10. The clients are awesome, but the working environment could use some improvement.

Current Employee - Tele-Fundraiser in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Tele-Fundraiser in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

The office environment is laid back, the people are great to work with, and the job is rewarding if you truly believe in the causes you are calling for. The management does not micro-manage, nor do you have to use a "script" - callers are allowed to be creative, as long as what you say is accurate and within the scope of the organization you are calling for.

Cons

The office equipment - headsets, chairs, desks, etc have seen MUCH better days and could use an upgrade in a big way. The company needs to invest in the office equipment and environment. The company does not spend much effort and time in ongoing tweaks to caller;s development; you are relatively on your own whether or not you succeed. More hands-on development would be valuable. Could definitely use more training over time, rather than only the initial new hire training (which is very good, just need more of it). What is missing is FUN, its all about making money, doing your job...

Advice to Management

Management would be better if there were day-to-day incentives. The workers would respond better to the overall job if there were aspects of the company culture that encouraged sharing of technique and cooperation between callers. Social activities are lacking and they would help greatly in building a more fun place to work.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Tele Fundraiser in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Tele Fundraiser in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Public Interest Communications part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You'll meet the most wonderful co-workers while making a difference.

Cons

Talking on the phone for hours makes you not want to talk on the phone when you get home. Thank good for text.

RSS Feed </> Embed