Public Outreach

Updated February 8, 2015
3.9

John Finlay

Great Job Opportunity!

Current Employee - Fundraising Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Fundraising Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Public Outreach full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working at Public Outreach has been a great experience for me. It challenges you to grow and develop skills that are highly valuable for future workplaces. I've learned a lot about talking with people confidently, sharing my passions, and developing the skills of people the work alongside me. Public Outreach is an energetic working environment that gives you a platform on which to be a part of much needed change both locally and globally.

Cons

Because Public Outreach focuses on raising funds for charities, its important that we keep our response high. This means that there is pressure on canvassers to turn their conversations into charitable contributions. For me, this is fun and rewarding, however it's understandable that this is not a job that suits everyone's personalities.

I've seen a lot of positive changes being made by upper management that gives more opportunities and better benefits for staff, in the past few years. My advice would be keep that up!

Best, most rewarding job I've ever had!

Current Employee - Coach/Supervisor in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Coach/Supervisor in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Public Outreach full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Ethically responsible on all levels
    - GREAT team culture
    - Great appreciation of employees
    - Great benefits package (after 6 mos)
    - Thorough training and ongoing support
    - Hourly wage with rapid increase

Cons

Performance-based job (however, I believe commission is unethical for charity fundraising)

Fantastic work culture

I worked at Public Outreach

Pros

open minded people
    casual environment
    young coworkers
    flexible hours
    lots of room for promotion

Cons

performance-based
    pressure to hit goals
    need thick skin

Challenging, in the best possible way

I have been working at Public Outreach full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- you spend your days outside
    - you walk & lead an active lifestyle
    - you get to work with incredible people
    - it is a challenge - much better than flipping burgers (intellectually stimulating)
    - easy to advance
    - This job gave me the confidence that I was lacking in myself, it really helped me discover who I am and what I want out of life.

Cons

- Late hours
    - fundraising alone in the dark can be dangerous

Public Outreach has a collegial culture, flexible working hours, good staff development processes. Like a university!

Former Employee - ~~~ in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - ~~~ in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Public Outreach full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Astonishingly supportive company with a great culture of allowing innovation by employees. Many leadership opportunities. Benefits plan after relatively short wait. Travel opportunities. Bursaries.

Cons

Public Outreach does not pay high salaries, and their termination process needs fixing. Can be hard for some to maintain the required level of performance.

Keep doing what you're doing.

Great Place to Work if you Love Charity!

Current Employee - Recruiter in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Public Outreach full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-room to grow with the company (I was moved into a new role within 3 months of employment)
    -great culture (very friendly and supportive staff in all departments and offices)
    -representing influential charities and learning more about them
    -meeting new people while fundraising
    -working outside, especially in the summer
    -fun activities for staff (sports, movies, etc)

Cons

-working in the heat sometimes

I love this job!

Current Employee - Team Leader - National Recruitment in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Team Leader - National Recruitment in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Public Outreach

Pros

Challenging job that leaves you feeling great at the end of the day
    Amazing people to work with and work for
    Really encouraging team environment
    Fantastic Growth Opportunities - I'm now managing a national recruitment department at 27 years old, I would not have this chance anywhere else
    Really competitive pay and lots of opportunities for raises based on performance/tenure
    Lots of emphasis on work-life balance, very understanding regrading time off, etc...

Cons

Can be a little bit taxing dealing with rude people who don't care about charity
    Working in the cold gets a bit dreary after a while
    Pay is good, but it would be tough to raise a family on it

Set up more skill sharing between departments. We need a way for all this fantastic knowledge to be continuously disseminated to all interested staff.
    Pay a little bit more so people will stick around longer. Many view this job as a stepping stone to other work because of the rate of pay.

Excellent Experience

I have been working at Public Outreach

Pros

travel opportunities. I have traveled with Public Outreach and worked in Toronto, Montreal, Calgary, Vancouver and Victoria.
    growth opportunities. I have grown from being a fundraiser, to running a national program.
    Flexibility. My managers have been great with my schedule as I work part time and go to school part time.
    It is a great work environment fill of character and most coworkers and managers become friends.
    It is meaningful work and not only your manager reminds you that your making an impact but the charities do too. One hospital we fundraised with gave me a tour and I got to meet a kid that had just had a heart transplant in the new ward we helped fund.

Cons

dealing with changing weather conditions can be tough
    a lot of people ignore you or say no to making a difference, this can get discouraging so you need to find ways of staying motivated

Great!

I have been working at Public Outreach

Pros

Friendly work environment, an opportunity to work for some amazing causes and organizations, flexible schedule, strong workplace culture, fun times

Cons

not as much skill sharing between departments as could be useful for many employees, more competitive wages for similar work

strong leaders are created here but they also need training, more opportunities for managers to access training programs that would suit their departments

Your able to reach out to those who were looking for a way to help.

Current Employee - Canvasser
    Current Employee - Canvasser

I have been working at Public Outreach

Pros

If you apply yourself, they recognize your hard work.
    They keep you informed and educated.
    The employee meetings and socials are fun.
    They give incentives and buy you coffee every morning.
    Insurance.
    Team/Family working together.
    For every ten angry people wishing you were not on the street, there is one person who says, "I am so happy your out here. I was looking for a way to help." That one in ten makes the job worth it.

Cons

I would prefer not to have to work in the rain. I love my job until it rains.

Job advancements for a canvasser do not get much further than supervisor and it easy to feel burnt out from canvassing. Some days I wish for a job with a seat but public outreach pays decent for not using a seat.

It would be nice for some of the street canvasser to be able to switch to phone follow ups once in a while.