www.publicoutreachrecruitment.com

3.2

John Finlay

Fantastic work culture

I worked at Public Outreach

Pros

open minded people
    casual environment
    young coworkers
    flexible hours
    lots of room for promotion

Cons

performance-based
    pressure to hit goals
    need thick skin

Challenging, in the best possible way

I have been working at Public Outreach full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- you spend your days outside
    - you walk & lead an active lifestyle
    - you get to work with incredible people
    - it is a challenge - much better than flipping burgers (intellectually stimulating)
    - easy to advance
    - This job gave me the confidence that I was lacking in myself, it really helped me discover who I am and what I want out of life.

Cons

- Late hours
    - fundraising alone in the dark can be dangerous

Public Outreach has a collegial culture, flexible working hours, good staff development processes. Like a university!

Former Employee - ~~~ in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - ~~~ in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Public Outreach full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Astonishingly supportive company with a great culture of allowing innovation by employees. Many leadership opportunities. Benefits plan after relatively short wait. Travel opportunities. Bursaries.

Cons

Public Outreach does not pay high salaries, and their termination process needs fixing. Can be hard for some to maintain the required level of performance.

Keep doing what you're doing.

Great Place to Work if you Love Charity!

Current Employee - Recruiter in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Public Outreach full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-room to grow with the company (I was moved into a new role within 3 months of employment)
    -great culture (very friendly and supportive staff in all departments and offices)
    -representing influential charities and learning more about them
    -meeting new people while fundraising
    -working outside, especially in the summer
    -fun activities for staff (sports, movies, etc)

Cons

-working in the heat sometimes

I love this job!

Current Employee - Team Leader - National Recruitment in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Team Leader - National Recruitment in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Public Outreach

Pros

Challenging job that leaves you feeling great at the end of the day
    Amazing people to work with and work for
    Really encouraging team environment
    Fantastic Growth Opportunities - I'm now managing a national recruitment department at 27 years old, I would not have this chance anywhere else
    Really competitive pay and lots of opportunities for raises based on performance/tenure
    Lots of emphasis on work-life balance, very understanding regrading time off, etc...

Cons

Can be a little bit taxing dealing with rude people who don't care about charity
    Working in the cold gets a bit dreary after a while
    Pay is good, but it would be tough to raise a family on it

Set up more skill sharing between departments. We need a way for all this fantastic knowledge to be continuously disseminated to all interested staff.
    Pay a little bit more so people will stick around longer. Many view this job as a stepping stone to other work because of the rate of pay.

Excellent Experience

I have been working at Public Outreach

Pros

travel opportunities. I have traveled with Public Outreach and worked in Toronto, Montreal, Calgary, Vancouver and Victoria.
    growth opportunities. I have grown from being a fundraiser, to running a national program.
    Flexibility. My managers have been great with my schedule as I work part time and go to school part time.
    It is a great work environment fill of character and most coworkers and managers become friends.
    It is meaningful work and not only your manager reminds you that your making an impact but the charities do too. One hospital we fundraised with gave me a tour and I got to meet a kid that had just had a heart transplant in the new ward we helped fund.

Cons

dealing with changing weather conditions can be tough
    a lot of people ignore you or say no to making a difference, this can get discouraging so you need to find ways of staying motivated

Great!

I have been working at Public Outreach

Pros

Friendly work environment, an opportunity to work for some amazing causes and organizations, flexible schedule, strong workplace culture, fun times

Cons

not as much skill sharing between departments as could be useful for many employees, more competitive wages for similar work

strong leaders are created here but they also need training, more opportunities for managers to access training programs that would suit their departments

Your able to reach out to those who were looking for a way to help.

Current Employee - Canvasser
    Current Employee - Canvasser

I have been working at Public Outreach

Pros

If you apply yourself, they recognize your hard work.
    They keep you informed and educated.
    The employee meetings and socials are fun.
    They give incentives and buy you coffee every morning.
    Insurance.
    Team/Family working together.
    For every ten angry people wishing you were not on the street, there is one person who says, "I am so happy your out here. I was looking for a way to help." That one in ten makes the job worth it.

Cons

I would prefer not to have to work in the rain. I love my job until it rains.

Job advancements for a canvasser do not get much further than supervisor and it easy to feel burnt out from canvassing. Some days I wish for a job with a seat but public outreach pays decent for not using a seat.

It would be nice for some of the street canvasser to be able to switch to phone follow ups once in a while.

Former Employee - Fundraising Representative in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Fundraising Representative in Boston, MA

I worked at Public Outreach part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great to meet new people, development of intercommunication skills

Cons

Unpredictable days, quick turn around

Amazing, and eye-opening, but not for everyone.

Former Employee - Street Canvasser
    Former Employee - Street Canvasser

I worked at Public Outreach part-time (less than an year)

Pros

1. Super casual environment, amazingly flexible hours, friendly team leaders/staff members, and most of all, you get to be actively part of positive changes around the world.

2. The work is non-commission based; reflecting a small part of Public Outreach's views on humanitarianism. Benefits after 6 months, and travel opportunities if you are really good at what you do.

3. The training was rather disorganized, however it really really tried to build up team work. We got to meet people from all walks of life: From the liberal arts student, to the computer science student -- anyone with passion are considered candidates for the job.

4. It's also an equal opportunities employer! They are friendly towards the LGBT community and never discriminate against visible minorities at all!

Cons

1. I was really excited to be part of Public Outreach, however wasn't able to translate that to canvassing on the street. Definitely not a job introverts (such as myself) who are trying to really come out of their comfort zone when all they have is a uniform, phone, and binder out on the streets. You really had get in random people's space. A big emphasis on that: You had to get in their space in order to get them to at least stop and talk to you. But again -- friendly staff: You can be honest with them about your comfort level, and they really understand that. They understand how you find that it just feels so wrong to waste such a good company's time. And there are no hard feelings left for both parties (Public Outreach and you).

2. It was a bit heartbreaking to find out that a lot of people could actually care less about helping others less fortunate than themselves. -- Such a lesson is an important one; especially for liberal arts students with a lot of naivety (Not going to deny it. I know that I still have a lot to learn). It was definitely very eye-opening even if heart-breaking.

3. There was little to no job security. You are expected to keep your numbers up, or else they would simply and very quickly replace you with someone new.

4. Some co-workers were not super pleasant to be around; not all co-workers were queer friendly. But hey -- that's okay too. At least the company itself has its heart in the right place. Perhaps getting to really know someone during the group interviews could really help out.

Recruitment and the process of setting up everything before a new employee gets to work was rather disorganized: You have to send them emails about your schedule on the first day, and you didn't really know what you are supposed to do after you leave training day. The method of clearly informing people about when and where they will be working could be improved.