Public Outreach

Public Outreach Reviews

Updated April 10, 2015
48 reviews filtered by
John Finlay

Enjoy working with cult style management while being verbally abused by strangers, then this is the place for you!

Former Employee - Fundraiser
    Former Employee - Fundraiser

I worked at Public Outreach full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Kind of flexible, they will give you days off when you need them but they expect sacrifices in return, like working two weeks in a row with no days off
    You talk to some interesting people while you are working
    You aren't sitting behind a desk all day

Cons

You will hate all charities after working here
    Leadership is cult like, they really emphasize that Public Outreach is a CAUSE, and you are making the world a better place, and this is the BEST job you will have because of how flexible they are , and that they CARE about you (even when they threaten to let you go because your fundraising goals are not being met, even though the company is not a charity and is run FOR PROFIT
    You will get definitely get verbally assaulted and likely physically assaulted while doing this job
    It is shift work and locations change all the time, some days will you work 20 minutes away from your house and be off at 5, other days you will work 90 minutes away from your house and be done at 9pm
    Shifts are not regular or guaranteed, supposed to be full time but ended up only working 2 shifts a week fairly often which makes it hard to pay rent, especially when you are only earning 14$ an hour
    Management is disorganized an apathetic, voiced concerns often shifts, content of pitches and safety, they were all brushed away
    Because of fundraising targets saw coworkers sign up mentally handicapped people and homeless people more than once
    You are encouraged to always push people to donate more, even if it seems like more than they can afford because "they will find a way in their budget to make it work"

Advice to Management

Stop signing up people that can't afford it
    Stop pushing people to donate more than they can
    Listen to your employees when they voice a concern

Fantastic no strings attached summer job. Terrible place for a career.

Former Employee - Team Supervisor in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Team Supervisor in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Public Outreach

Pros

Decent pay, they hire people from many backgrounds, benefits and flexibility. If you there for a summer job and need some cash, this job is perfect but if you have come to PO for a career, enter at your own risk.

Cons

The company mission statement is Honest, Effective and Respectful and sadly that is not the case. The company is poorly run and morally bankrupt. Complete lack of transparency in management decisions, little follow through on promises, spying, manipulations, bullying and discrimination by middle management on a frequent basis.

Advice to Management

Stick to your values.

3. Flexible, Challenging, Fun and stressful

I have been working at Public Outreach

Pros

Great for improving communication skills
    Awesome co-workers/job culture
    Pays better than most entry level jobs
    Opportunities for promotion and travel relatively soon

Cons

Very emotionally draining
    The pressure to consistently meet quotas provides a lot of stress
    Can feel manipulative

Advice to Management

Be as transparent as possible during evaluation
    Let people opt out of pump up, or briefing exercises

5. Great culture and fun environment.

I have been working at Public Outreach

Pros

Working for great cause and charities
    Friendly staff and fun culture
    Room for advancement
    Lots of opportunities to learn
    Great benifits

Cons

Under supported managers
    Performance based
    Working outdoors in all weather

6. Essentially a sales job. Not for everyone.

Current Employee - Canvasser
    Current Employee - Canvasser

I have been working at Public Outreach full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people to work with.
    Likeable office culture
    Pretty good pay for entry level job with no experience

Cons

Misleading. Basically your job here is doing sales job. This is one of the most cut-throat industry in terms of turnovers and saying that this job is not for everyone is really putting it mildly. Basically you need to sign up one donor per day (and keep in mind that the donor have to sign MONTHLY and give out their credit card information) whether you're assigned to door-to-door or street team.

You get one week of evaluation period in which you get paid minimum wage and then if you reach your quota everyday you'll get promoted to whatever the hourly wage they advertised. I did the job while i was looking for other jobs, managed to meet the quota but it is really hard and it took a lot out of me, and i had previous sales experience too. Really test out your character and i have to give credit to those who can stay long in this business (this is a business alright dont fool yourself by thinking that they focus on making the world a better place: that's just a front).

7. Once you pass the first week, you're in the clear!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Public Outreach full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work environment and amazing people working as a team. Very progressive, fun people. You will become very close with the people around you
    Tons of leadership and travel opportunities if you want them.
    Sometimes you get to work with really awesome non-profits.
    Full benefits.
    Very supportive leadership that are willing to help you if you are willing to work hard.
    Good incentives.
    Working outdoors.
    Easy to get an interview. Equal opportunity for everyone. You don't need experience or post-secondary.

Cons

The job can be stressful at times. Fundraisers have targets to hit, and new employees often aren't prepared for that.
    The evaluation (hiring) process is difficult and many trainees don't make it past their first week. This process is years old and should be fixed! I've seen many *good* people let go because they didn't pick up on it right away.

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate the eval process. I've watched or had to let go people that everyone knew should have been given more time.
    More transparency, your employees know what's going on in the company more than you think!

8. Great Job Opportunity!

Current Employee - Fundraising Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Fundraising Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Public Outreach full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working at Public Outreach has been a great experience for me. It challenges you to grow and develop skills that are highly valuable for future workplaces. I've learned a lot about talking with people confidently, sharing my passions, and developing the skills of people the work alongside me. Public Outreach is an energetic working environment that gives you a platform on which to be a part of much needed change both locally and globally.

Cons

Because Public Outreach focuses on raising funds for charities, its important that we keep our response high. This means that there is pressure on canvassers to turn their conversations into charitable contributions. For me, this is fun and rewarding, however it's understandable that this is not a job that suits everyone's personalities.

Advice to Management

I've seen a lot of positive changes being made by upper management that gives more opportunities and better benefits for staff, in the past few years. My advice would be keep that up!

Best, most rewarding job I've ever had!

Current Employee - Coach/Supervisor in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Coach/Supervisor in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Public Outreach full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Ethically responsible on all levels
    - GREAT team culture
    - Great appreciation of employees
    - Great benefits package (after 6 mos)
    - Thorough training and ongoing support
    - Hourly wage with rapid increase

Cons

Performance-based job (however, I believe commission is unethical for charity fundraising)

Fantastic work culture

I worked at Public Outreach

Pros

open minded people
    casual environment
    young coworkers
    flexible hours
    lots of room for promotion

Cons

performance-based
    pressure to hit goals
    need thick skin

SCAM. You are NOT supporting CHARITIES you are pushing for sales to benefit Public Outreach

Current Employee - Charitable Fundraiser in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Charitable Fundraiser in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Public Outreach full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

temporarily fun work environment. develop interpersonal skills, active, at times motivational, educated on international poverty issues.

Cons

Unprofessional management, bullying between juvenile coworkers -breaches in confidentiality, sales based: pushed to sell regardless of the persons status ( why would I want to guilt a young single mother into sponsoring a child in a developing country when she can hardly afford to make her own ends meet? You're in trouble if you don't) False job description: There is pressure on you at all times to sell regardless of what's going on. Unsafe work environment: manager expected us to continue canvassing on the street 250 m's away from a stabbing. There were police officers and EMS everyehere and we were expected to sell sponsorships and lectured when we did not. That would classify as an Occupational Health and Safety Hazard. How much money can possibly go to the charities when they're wasting time canvassing in low income neighbourhoods, and have several staff that rarely get children sponsored. Is 6 staff getting paid $90/day each going to benefit the charity when they only get 3 children sponsored. This place is a scam and isn't even registered with the Better Business Bureau.