Public Service Credit Union (Colorado)

www.pscu.org

David Maus

1. Senior Member Service Representative

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Collins, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Collins, CO

Pros

The company pays well and the members are great. The training is great as well of you get the time to go.

Cons

They are a very sales pushy company and the management says they are not. They have unrealistic goals for tellers and bankers.

Advice to Management

If your going to have a sales environment that is fine just be upfront about it and you would have as much turn over. There is more turnover in PSCU then your biggest competitors.

2. Branch Manager

Former Employee - Branch Manager
    Former Employee - Branch Manager

I worked at Public Service Credit Union (Colorado) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They were caring about their members & employees in the beginning. Great branch staff and mid management peers.

Cons

Suddenly, the Exec mgmt group began shuffling managers to other locations, demoting mid-managers and executing a fervent sales, sales, sales atmoshere. That became more important than the members but exec team denied it. High turnover as a result.

Advice to Management

If you want to re-invent the wheel at the expense of loyal staff and lost memberships, I suggest you also re-invent the coveted value and mission statements to match. Be honest with your staff & members regarding changes otherwise, they lose faith in your commitment to them.

3. Hard work does NOT pay off

Current Employee - Communication Center Representative in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Communication Center Representative in Denver, CO

I have been working at Public Service Credit Union (Colorado) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, revamped training, auto loan incentives, some great co workers, consistent schedules

Cons

Branch staff unhelpful, take on other departments work, short staffed, not enough feedback or praise

Advice to Management

Assistance is needed with members who are continuously verbally abusive towards employees, don't just expect us to take the call each time when clearly a manager needs to be involved or the account needs to be shut down. Expect same member service standards for all reps, no matter how long they've been in the department. Recognition for handling escalated situations or handling situations where another branch has dropped the ball.

5. Beware of Public Service Credit Union - It is NOT "Together, We're Better!!!"

Former Employee - Support Services Representative in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Support Services Representative in Denver, CO

Pros

There are some good, smart, motivated people at PSCU, but they could have a LOT more if they offered MUCH more competitive pay and didn't have such a toxic environment that caused good people to quit after not that long.

Cons

The pay and the benefits are terrible. Staff are paid salaries from the 90's. Thus, the turnover rate is VERY high. But, the executive management doesn't care. They don't do anything to create a higher retention rate. It's a revolving door. Some people have been there for many years or even their entire careers, but those people should have moved on years ago. "Together, We're Better!" is a joke! Employees laugh about it in disgust all the time, for it has no real meaning at work; it's only words. People don't work together. Departments don't help and pitch in and help each other. I was always shocked and appalled at how the managers refused to lend a hand to each other, even when another department really needed help. They just don't care; it's every man for himself- not "Together, We're Better!" That's not a healthy company culture to have, and it's no way to run a company. The CEO and the executive management are the worst, for they just walk around headquarters, speaking only to other management, not staff. They're too important to speak to staff members, so they just rudely walk right by without saying anything. It's truly horrible. And the culture starts from the top down. There are certain management that are a nightmare to work for, for they are "bully bosses" and degrade and yell at employees. All of the management, executive management and the CEO know what goes on. But, nobody does anything about it. Thus, it continues. THAT, is wrong. In many ways, PSCU is a very toxic place to work.

Advice to Management

They need to fire the toxic executive management members, even though they know their jobs. A company needs executive management that treats its employees with respect and does not bully, yell at and disparage them in front of others- and nobody does anything about it. They need to pay its staff REAL salaries, not salaries from the 90's. Given that it's a $1billion company, they should pay more than they do for medical premiums for part-time employees, who essentially work to have health insurance, and full-time employees who add a child, children or family to their insurance. The medical premium when you add someone is way to high. It's a company of only 350 people. They can afford to absorb more of the cost of the premiums.

6. Run, run, run from this company

I worked at Public Service Credit Union (Colorado) (More than a year)

Pros

-Banker hours are nice -PTO, paid holidays, no Sundays -You may get lucky and land at a branch with great management (then again, you may not) -Members are amazing and have life stories they will share. They will love you and be loyal to you & PSCU.

Cons

-New changes have started and are planned to continue, so there is micromanaging out the wazoo. -There will be 'dedicated' call nights and you have NO say, even if they spring up the week before. -HR & Upper management are a joke. Everyone looks the other way even if they've been alerted of ethical issues by branch managers. -Inconsistency with "policies" and rules. They say one thing, but the next week fire someone over the opposite. Double standards and favoritism are very common. -Sell, sell, sell!!! Overnight this place decided to become a bank. And if you can't adjust, you can't hang. Get up to speed fast or pack your things. -Oh, this place may affect your health unless you work well under strenuous stress. But sorry, they won't care.

Advice to Management

Length of time employed with you doesn't equate to quality of the employee. Get a grip and stop turning the other way when ethical issues are prevalent in the workplace.

7. Horrible

Former Employee - Teller in Fort Collins, CO
    Former Employee - Teller in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at Public Service Credit Union (Colorado) part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Only good thing I experienced working here for two years was the people I worked with, which changed after my manager got fired. Staff changed quickly, mostly everyone quit because the new manager was extremely incompetent.

Cons

Incompetent managers. Upper management could care less about you, all they want is for you to refer, and you don't get anything for meeting your goals, just a "good job" email. Why should I sell for you when I get nothing for it? Every other bank offers some sort of incentive for meeting goals, but not this one. They will push you to sell so they can get paid.

Advice to Management

Start caring about your employees, stop pushing sales when there are no benefits to selling. I worked there for two years and had around 155 referrals, about six referrals a month so I was hitting goal on a fairly consistent basis....did I get anything for it? NO!!!!

8. PSCU can be a great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

Pros

For the most part it is a good company to work for. Great benefits.

Cons

Advancement can be slow going

Advice to Management

Acknowledge employees when walking by.

9. Great Credit Union

Current Employee - Msr in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Msr in Denver, CO

I have been working at Public Service Credit Union (Colorado) part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I believe this credit union is one of the best out there. They offer great rates and no hassle.

Cons

It seems like it takes a long time to implement new ideas and strategies. If you make a suggestion to change something it will take a while.

Advice to Management

Your employees are your bread and butter, without us you wouldn't be where you are.

10. Organized Chaos

Former Employee - Banker/Sales Associate/Loan Applicant Taker in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Banker/Sales Associate/Loan Applicant Taker in Denver, CO

Pros

If you happen to start at the right branch, you will do well. If you start at a struggling branch, you have a 30% chance staying with the company in my opinion.

Cons

Some of the upper management is not very smart, this causes staffing issues, money order issues, many issues, and the entire company is micromanaged more than I have seen in any company I have worked for.

Advice to Management

Empower your employees. Learn what branch level working is like. Figure out your compensation program (When I left, it had been 6 months with a promised "compensation" program coming "Soon". )

11. A Politically Struggling Organization

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Public Service Credit Union (Colorado) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Public Service employs people who believe in what they do and are large enough to offer opportunity to a select and elite few.

Cons

Communication is lacking, upper management micro-manages with outdated experience and interpretation, advancement is slow even with a proven track record of success.

Advice to Management

Let go of some control, listen to your employees on the front-line as they have wonderful and innovative ideas that could greatly improve the work environment.

RSS Feed </> Embed