Public Service Credit Union (Colorado)
www.pscu.org Denver, CO 150 to 499 Employees

David Maus

Great Credit Union

MSR (Current Employee)
Denver, CO

I have been working at Public Service Credit Union (Colorado) part-time for less than a year

ProsI believe this credit union is one of the best out there. They offer great rates and no hassle.

ConsIt seems like it takes a long time to implement new ideas and strategies. If you make a suggestion to change something it will take a while.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour employees are your bread and butter, without us you wouldn't be where you are.

Organized Chaos

Banker/Sales Associate/Loan Applicant Taker (Former Employee)
Denver, CO

I worked at Public Service Credit Union (Colorado) full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIf you happen to start at the right branch, you will do well. If you start at a struggling branch, you have a 30% chance staying with the company in my opinion.

ConsSome of the upper management is not very smart, this causes staffing issues, money order issues, many issues, and the entire company is micromanaged more than I have seen in any company I have worked for.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower your employees. Learn what branch level working is like. Figure out your compensation program (When I left, it had been 6 months with a promised "compensation" program coming "Soon". )

A Politically Struggling Organization

Branch Manager (Former Employee)
Denver, CO

I worked at Public Service Credit Union (Colorado) full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPublic Service employs people who believe in what they do and are large enough to offer opportunity to a select and elite few.

ConsCommunication is lacking, upper management micro-manages with outdated experience and interpretation, advancement is slow even with a proven track record of success.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet go of some control, listen to your employees on the front-line as they have wonderful and innovative ideas that could greatly improve the work environment.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Member Service Representative

Member Service Representative I (Former Employee)
Denver, CO

I worked at Public Service Credit Union (Colorado) full-time for less than a year

ProsThey are always losing people, so plenty of opportunity for full-time/overtime.
Benefits are available for full time and part time (though they are pretty unaffordable for part-timers).
Paid time-off, including holidays and the occassional day in the winter when it is too snowy to open.
Coworkers are awesome and supportive, even though it isn't their job to support you.
A lot of opportunity to move up, good place to go to get some banking experience.
Regular hours, Sundays off.

ConsOne of the lower-paying credit unions by at least $2 an hour.
They do not give raises, only incentives that do not pay much ($70 if you complete 12 appointments, 6 loans over $2,500 closed, have less than $10 outage, and less than 3 check errors per month; $30 for each loan closed after your initial 6 per month. No one in my branch or half of the other branches ever made the goal).
Incentives are extremely limited and there is always a way they can get out of giving you credit for referrals/giving you incentive pay (only loans over $2500 count, no first mortgages, no credit cards, no ODLOCs; some branch managers will allow you to claim walk-ins for credit while others won't).
Extremely understaffed/extremely stressful.
Management usually plays the role of a teller or financial consultant instead of completing management tasks or helping members.
Management holds tellers back from moving up because they do not want to lose their frontline.
Members know that if they are rude enough and complain enough, management will just bend over and give them what they want and throw you under the bus (especially in regards to cash withdrawals without proper ID)
Huge lack of communication between and within departments.
Bank-like attitude towards members despite promoting a community, credit-union feel.
You end up doing work far beyond your description since management/other departments will drop the ball otherwise.
Management will ignore or deny time-off if you are sick due to being consistently understaffed.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer employees realistic incentives so they don't get burnt out from making numerous appointments per day and bringing in revenue with no reward.
Communicate and be clear with employees and members on policy.
Stand up for employees who follow policy correctly and make sure management makes themselves available at all times. Many unsafe things go down in the branch (like conducting transactions and giving information without IDs) because employees do not want to be yelled at and harrassed by members and then have no support from management.
Keep an eye on branch management to make sure they are doing what is best for the company (moving qualified people up, etc.) and not just what is easiest for them (hold people back because they excel in their current position). Also be on the lookout for unprofessional attitudes between management and employees.
Provide the opportunity for a raise, especially after passing assessments and reaching goals.
Hire an adequate amount of people so chaos doesn't ensue as soon as one or two people quit/take time off.

Very appealing yet frustrating at times

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Lakewood, CO

I worked at Public Service Credit Union (Colorado)

ProsGreat people. They go out of their way to hire quality people who understand their roles and are enthusiastic about the work they do. You have the opportunity to really get to know your clients. You see many more than once a week.

ConsAs much as is pushed about promoting from within, those promises were rarely honored. People with experience and knowledge and the will to do the work necessary were often passed over for outsiders who often did not understand the culture, but instead were seen as nothing more than better salespeople.

Advice to Senior ManagementUse the people you have to promote. They know your clients better than anyone you can bring from the outside. If growing the business is the highest priority, this is the best way to do it in my opinion.

A Joke

Member Service Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Public Service Credit Union (Colorado)

ProsGood experience for employment elsewhere.

ConsNo one knows what is going on, the communication between management and the rest of their employees is HORRIBLE. If you ask 5 people the same question you get 5 completely different answers. Executive management does not care about the people below them all they care about is making money. If you have or want a personal life I would not suggest working for this company, they DO NOT care they will work you until you have nothing left and then fire you for not meeting sells goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe less like a bank and more like the credit union you claim to be.

Public Service Credit Union

Denver, CO

I have been working at Public Service Credit Union (Colorado)

ProsCo-workers are the main reason for showing up everyday!

ConsLack of communication from senior management. Promotions given to employees unfamiliar with departments being transferred to.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-structure is in order.

Horrible

Information Systems (Former Employee)

I worked at Public Service Credit Union (Colorado)

ProsGood experience to take elsewhere. Multiple locations so likely the commute would be doable for most people.

ConsPoor leadership. My boss is completely incompetent and has no leadership skills. His bosses are no better. Executive management does not care about their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire competent leaders. It will have a tremendous effect on your staff.

Worked for Public Service Credit Union (Colorado)? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Public Service Credit Union (Colorado) reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Public Service Credit Union (Colorado) CEO David Maus. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by Public Service Credit Union (Colorado) employees.