Public Service Credit Union (Colorado)

www.pscu.org

David Maus

1. Horrible

Former Employee - Information Systems in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Information Systems in Denver, CO

Pros

Good experience to take elsewhere. Multiple locations so likely the commute would be doable for most people.

Cons

Poor leadership. My boss is completely incompetent and has no leadership skills. His bosses are no better. Executive management does not care about their employees.

Advice to Management

Hire competent leaders. It will have a tremendous effect on your staff.

2. Public Service Credit Union

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Pros

Co-workers are the main reason for showing up everyday!

Cons

Lack of communication from senior management. Promotions given to employees unfamiliar with departments being transferred to.

Advice to Management

Re-structure is in order.

3. A Joke

Former Employee - Member Service Representative in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Member Service Representative in Denver, CO

Pros

Good experience for employment elsewhere.

Cons

No one knows what is going on, the communication between management and the rest of their employees is HORRIBLE. If you ask 5 people the same question you get 5 completely different answers. Executive management does not care about the people below them all they care about is making money. If you have or want a personal life I would not suggest working for this company, they DO NOT care they will work you until you have nothing left and then fire you for not meeting sells goals.

Advice to Management

Be less like a bank and more like the credit union you claim to be.

5. A Politically Struggling Organization

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Public Service Credit Union (Colorado) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Public Service employs people who believe in what they do and are large enough to offer opportunity to a select and elite few.

Cons

Communication is lacking, upper management micro-manages with outdated experience and interpretation, advancement is slow even with a proven track record of success.

Advice to Management

Let go of some control, listen to your employees on the front-line as they have wonderful and innovative ideas that could greatly improve the work environment.

6. Horrible

Former Employee - Teller in Fort Collins, CO
    Former Employee - Teller in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at Public Service Credit Union (Colorado) part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Only good thing I experienced working here for two years was the people I worked with, which changed after my manager got fired. Staff changed quickly, mostly everyone quit because the new manager was extremely incompetent.

Cons

Incompetent managers. Upper management could care less about you, all they want is for you to refer, and you don't get anything for meeting your goals, just a "good job" email. Why should I sell for you when I get nothing for it? Every other bank offers some sort of incentive for meeting goals, but not this one. They will push you to sell so they can get paid.

Advice to Management

Start caring about your employees, stop pushing sales when there are no benefits to selling. I worked there for two years and had around 155 referrals, about six referrals a month so I was hitting goal on a fairly consistent basis....did I get anything for it? NO!!!!

7. Run, run, run from this company

I worked at Public Service Credit Union (Colorado) (More than a year)

Pros

-Banker hours are nice -PTO, paid holidays, no Sundays -You may get lucky and land at a branch with great management (then again, you may not) -Members are amazing and have life stories they will share. They will love you and be loyal to you & PSCU.

Cons

-New changes have started and are planned to continue, so there is micromanaging out the wazoo. -There will be 'dedicated' call nights and you have NO say, even if they spring up the week before. -HR & Upper management are a joke. Everyone looks the other way even if they've been alerted of ethical issues by branch managers. -Inconsistency with "policies" and rules. They say one thing, but the next week fire someone over the opposite. Double standards and favoritism are very common. -Sell, sell, sell!!! Overnight this place decided to become a bank. And if you can't adjust, you can't hang. Get up to speed fast or pack your things. -Oh, this place may affect your health unless you work well under strenuous stress. But sorry, they won't care.

Advice to Management

Length of time employed with you doesn't equate to quality of the employee. Get a grip and stop turning the other way when ethical issues are prevalent in the workplace.

8. Beware of Public Service Credit Union - It is NOT "Together, We're Better!!!"

Former Employee - Support Services Representative in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Support Services Representative in Denver, CO

Pros

There are some good, smart, motivated people at PSCU, but they could have a LOT more if they offered MUCH more competitive pay and didn't have such a toxic environment that caused good people to quit after not that long.

Cons

The pay and the benefits are terrible. Staff are paid salaries from the 90's. Thus, the turnover rate is VERY high. But, the executive management doesn't care. They don't do anything to create a higher retention rate. It's a revolving door. Some people have been there for many years or even their entire careers, but those people should have moved on years ago. "Together, We're Better!" is a joke! Employees laugh about it in disgust all the time, for it has no real meaning at work; it's only words. People don't work together. Departments don't help and pitch in and help each other. I was always shocked and appalled at how the managers refused to lend a hand to each other, even when another department really needed help. They just don't care; it's every man for himself- not "Together, We're Better!" That's not a healthy company culture to have, and it's no way to run a company. The CEO and the executive management are the worst, for they just walk around headquarters, speaking only to other management, not staff. They're too important to speak to staff members, so they just rudely walk right by without saying anything. It's truly horrible. And the culture starts from the top down. There are certain management that are a nightmare to work for, for they are "bully bosses" and degrade and yell at employees. All of the management, executive management and the CEO know what goes on. But, nobody does anything about it. Thus, it continues. THAT, is wrong. In many ways, PSCU is a very toxic place to work.

Advice to Management

They need to fire the toxic executive management members, even though they know their jobs. A company needs executive management that treats its employees with respect and does not bully, yell at and disparage them in front of others- and nobody does anything about it. They need to pay its staff REAL salaries, not salaries from the 90's. Given that it's a $1billion company, they should pay more than they do for medical premiums for part-time employees, who essentially work to have health insurance, and full-time employees who add a child, children or family to their insurance. The medical premium when you add someone is way to high. It's a company of only 350 people. They can afford to absorb more of the cost of the premiums.

9. Worst financial institution I've ever experienced.

Current Employee - Senior Member Service Representative in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Member Service Representative in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Public Service Credit Union (Colorado) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers and decent benefits. It's nice not to work Sundays and get off no later than 7 every night.

Cons

The incompetency of every manager I've encountered is mind-boggling. They have all displayed blatant favoritism in the branches, and the whole company has a very "clique" vibe to it. Upper management is extremely sales-pushy and micro-manages everyone. They constantly scoff at banks for force-feeding products to people, while they have the highest loan goal (and lowest compensation) I've ever seen in my 5 year career in the finance world. Run as fast and as far away as you can from this place.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees as people, not numbers. Reconsider loan goal for FSC's, or at least inform potential employees of the fact that not a single FSC has made their loan goal in the market. Back up your employees when needed, because unfortunately in the banking world, we have to say no to consumers. It demolishes your employee's credibility to not support them while following policies and procedures.

10. Member Service Representative

Former Employee - Member Service Representative I in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Member Service Representative I in Denver, CO

I worked at Public Service Credit Union (Colorado) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They are always losing people, so plenty of opportunity for full-time/overtime. Benefits are available for full time and part time (though they are pretty unaffordable for part-timers). Paid time-off, including holidays and the occassional day in the winter when it is too snowy to open. Coworkers are awesome and supportive, even though it isn't their job to support you. A lot of opportunity to move up, good place to go to get some banking experience. Regular hours, Sundays off.

Cons

One of the lower-paying credit unions by at least $2 an hour. They do not give raises, only incentives that do not pay much ($70 if you complete 12 appointments, 6 loans over $2,500 closed, have less than $10 outage, and less than 3 check errors per month; $30 for each loan closed after your initial 6 per month. No one in my branch or half of the other branches ever made the goal). Incentives are extremely limited and there is always a way they can get out of giving you credit for referrals/giving you incentive pay (only loans over $2500 count, no first mortgages, no credit cards, no ODLOCs; some branch managers will allow you to claim walk-ins for credit while others won't). Extremely understaffed/extremely stressful. Management usually plays the role of a teller or financial consultant instead of completing management tasks or helping members. Management holds tellers back from moving up because they do not want to lose their frontline. Members know that if they are rude enough and complain enough, management will just bend over and give them what they want and throw you under the bus (especially in regards to cash withdrawals without proper ID) Huge lack of communication between and within departments. Bank-like attitude towards members despite promoting a community, credit-union feel. You end up doing work far beyond your description since management/other departments will drop the ball otherwise. Management will ignore or deny time-off if you are sick due to being consistently understaffed.

Advice to Management

Offer employees realistic incentives so they don't get burnt out from making numerous appointments per day and bringing in revenue with no reward. Communicate and be clear with employees and members on policy. Stand up for employees who follow policy correctly and make sure management makes themselves available at all times. Many unsafe things go down in the branch (like conducting transactions and giving information without IDs) because employees do not want to be yelled at and harrassed by members and then have no support from management. Keep an eye on branch management to make sure they are doing what is best for the company (moving qualified people up, etc.) and not just what is easiest for them (hold people back because they excel in their current position). Also be on the lookout for unprofessional attitudes between management and employees. Provide the opportunity for a raise, especially after passing assessments and reaching goals. Hire an adequate amount of people so chaos doesn't ensue as soon as one or two people quit/take time off.

11. Organized Chaos

Former Employee - Banker/Sales Associate/Loan Applicant Taker in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Banker/Sales Associate/Loan Applicant Taker in Denver, CO

I worked at Public Service Credit Union (Colorado) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you happen to start at the right branch, you will do well. If you start at a struggling branch, you have a 30% chance staying with the company in my opinion.

Cons

Some of the upper management is not very smart, this causes staffing issues, money order issues, many issues, and the entire company is micromanaged more than I have seen in any company I have worked for.

Advice to Management

Empower your employees. Learn what branch level working is like. Figure out your compensation program (When I left, it had been 6 months with a promised "compensation" program coming "Soon". )

RSS Feed </> Embed