Public Storage

www.publicstorage.com

Public Storage Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Public Storage Vice Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman, President, and CEO, PS Business Parks Ronald L. Havner Jr.

Ronald L. Havner Jr.

Pros
  • So you have a good work/life balance if you have things to get taken care of after 6pm(in 12 reviews)

• Working alone and having office/steady hours are about it(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Being a property manager is a difficult task with a lot of responsibility(in 63 reviews)

• All upper management is hired from outside the company and are trained by(in 45 reviews)

Property Manager

Property Manager (Current Employee)

Proshours aren't bad, not too early nor to late (9:30a-6pm on weekdays) (weekends 9:30a-5pm)

Conseverything!! you start getting paid at $10hr but do everything at the property....from cleaning units, picking leaves, picking up abandon goods, doing rentals, selling over priced merchandise, forcing the customer to buy insurance when most of the time insurance doesn't cover anything. have reports ready for DM, prepare auction paper work, deal with customer that our extremely stress due to a foreclosure, divorce,death in family, moving, etc...your also a collections agency calling every single customer through the month......and mind you everything that i have mentioned is ok, i dont mind it, but get ready it gets even better.....dont you dare not sell an over priced lock to a new customer, or you will hear about it until the next month. a public storage lock cost $20 you can buy one at home depot for $7 walmart for $10 etc.....same with insurance, they want all customer to have insurance so they kinda force us shove it down the customers throat....saying its "required" but yes its not mandatory...and the sad part is that when an incident does happen the insurance will never come thorugh for what the customer really lost. sorry am not money hungry i do have a heart for my customers!! they expect you to memorize around 20 scripts and they want it word for word!!! and will make you do it over ad over again....make sure you get along with your boss if not he will call you on the spot to role play the useless scripts....scripts to do a rental, scripts to sell merchandise, scrit to take payment, script to make calls and leave message...and i can go on and on...in all honesty AVOID this place....and let me add i was also and onsite manager DO NOT take the apartment...they wil own you and expect everything from you and if you do something wrong they will threat you right away.....once again...stay away from this company..they dont take care of the employee when we make all the money. bonuses get smaller and smaller..when you apply (i pray you dont) bonuses probably wont exist..with all the unrealistic goals, we are set up for failure......do yourself a favor and look elsewhere.....

Advice to Senior Managementdrop the scripts,humans have emotions we are not robots. not all conversation go like you corp guys expect. pay the employee more and cut from DM...in all reality they dont do much but pressure us....keep the employee happy and you will have a successful company..in your case and even more successful company

Happy DM

ProsLove the job. Best I've ever had. Lots of flexibility. Great place to work.

ConsLock cuts are rough on your body.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep being positive and sharing.

We don't store like its ours.

Relief Manager (Current Employee) Long Beach, CA

ProsIt is a somewhat "laid back" job depending on what locations you are sent to. There are set hours to work, you know what time you come in and what time you go home. No late night or early morning shifts.

ConsYou are left alone at busy locations. You are required to memorize over 20 scripts. District managers are hardly ever useful, so as a Relief manager you must problem solve to your best ability. Transients and "riff raff" who are unhinged, it is a scary job when alone.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake better care of your employees, your sites are not safe.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great opportunity with an outstanding company.

ProsThere are numerous reasons to work for Public Storage. Some of the best reasons include, but are not limited to, the hours, the experiences, the benefits, the personal growth and training, and much more. It's not your normal 9 to 5, but very close. You work 9:30 am to 6 pm during the week and 9:30 to 5 on the weekends. Even with a busy home life the hours fit great into your schedule. Secondly, nothing can beat the experiences you have working for this company. Every customer who walks through your door is going through something in life that has brought them to you. You have the opportunity to put a smile on there face and send them home with a piece of mind knowing you are there to help them in any way you can. Benefits that come along with working for public storage, of course at your choosing, range from medical insurance, dental insurance, life insurance, and the list goes on. Enough about the nuts and bolts, my favorite thing about working for this company is the personal growth and training. Whether you come into this company with customer service skills or not, I guarantee you will leave with them. On top of the elaborate training you receive as a new hire, the District Manager and Senior DM will also take the time to help you grow by doing regular training with you. They do critic you, as any boss would, but not in a way that demeans you. They help you learn how to be even better and by doing so you grow into a better customer service professional.

ConsI wouldn't say there are challenges to working for public storage. You do tend to work on your own a lot. However, if you need help with anything someone is always a phone call away.

New DM to Pulic Storage

District Manager (Current Employee) Virginia Beach, VA

ProsLove the leadership! Regional and Divisional leadership is engaged not only in my personal development but also with that of the property managers which is key in inspiring loyalty. Training for new DM's is an extensive 3 month process ensuring that you are set up for success once in role, loved my training mentor and my training made me confident in the transition to taking over my current district. Seems like there is a lot of energy put in to succession planning and promoting within!

ConsYou have your hands in a lot more aspects of the business than I have ever experienced in similar roles, however the 3 month training ensures you are comfortable with all of this before going live.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to make the focus our team and service experience!

Little growth opportunity, insulting annual raises, crap bonus and cheap district managers

Associate Manager (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsI genuinely like the work, but am only surviving because I own my home. The compensation (compared to the high level of performance they require and continued mental abuse received from supervisors) is insulting. Pride prevents me from delivering anything less than my best, and that must be what they're counting on.

I enjoy dealing with my customers, although corporate continues to lose long term patrons because of regular rent increases (with no ceiling) and skimpy property maintenance. It's all about shareholder profits and executive bonuses, apparently. They couldn't care less about the customers (or employees). We at one time had bonuses for keeping property above goals. Now they have made it that only 40% or less employees can qualify to receive any incentives, plus our PTO is designed to stay at under 40 hours.

ConsMy experience is that DM's are spread too thinly between multiple locations and can't handle the work load. It's been far too long since they ran their own facility, if they ever did, and all they see now are numbers and how to line their own purses. Mine has extremely poor people handling skills, and will quickly throw a devoted employee under the bus to make them look good and fulfill their own self-serving agenda. They show very little respect, and belittle and talk down to employees regularly. They rarely praise you for a job well done, but regularly offer harsh criticisms based on ever changing 'policies' and mistrust through scathing emails, unrealistic audits, secret shoppers, spy cams, and recorded phone calls.

Advice to Senior ManagementTeach your District and Area Managers to respect their workers, quit micro-managing, allow your General Managers to make their own decisions, and then stand behind them. I am a hard working, honest, employee that works with integrity. My customers love me. My facility is run professionally. My supervisors treat me like a child and show no trust, confidence or loyalty. I've been successfully running this facility for more than 8 years and still have to explain myself and cover my butt daily.

What General Manager in other companies has NO say in hiring, firing, purchasing supplies, daily decision making, or is even permitted to contact their corporate office personnel without going through their DM?

The company has done very well financially, and is experiencing all-time high occupancy levels. General Managers and Managers have accomplished this in spite of poor leadership by their immediate supervisors and near poverty compensation. Give credit where credit is due. Stop spending millions on senseless aquisition of competing small self storage properties, unnecessary office remodeling, and computer upgrades that don't work, and pay your employees that run the field (the ones that your customers deal with every day) what we deserve. Then trust us to do the job.

Nerve Wracking

Property Manager (Former Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsPublic Storage is a good place to learn the business of storage. No late hours. Mid morning start time is great. Get to work one on one with the public.

ConsWorkers are not promoted beyond property manager. Upper management are hired outside the company and most have never worked in the storage business, yet think they know what works best over the people who actually work it.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet people be themselves instead of robots with scripts. What looks good on paper is not always the best option.

Unethical, greedy

ProsNo pros that outweigh the cons

ConsWhere do I start? This company is horrible, and I'm not just saying this because I have a chip on my shoulder. For near poverty wages (9.50 to start) employees are expected to be a retail sales expert, a leasing consultant, a collections agent, a janitor and put up with micromanaging abusive DM's that have no idea what it takes to run a property. My life has been personally threatened on multiple occasions, and have been expected to clean up human excrement. Roach\rat infestations are a common occurance, and the security is laughable. I have run into units that have been broken into on a weekly basis, the company does nothing to improve the situation. No work/life balance. Required to work every weekend. only one week of pto in your first year that is accrued. Im also pretty sure the company owns the insurance company that employees are forced to make customers buy. TRUST ME, YOU DONT WANT TO WORK HERE.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust stop. You are a prime example of what's wrong with society; the quintessence of corporate greed

It use to be an ok place to work. Not a career!

Property Manager (Current Employee)

Pros- Hours
    - Decent benefits
    - Good co-workers

ConsPublic storage profits 48% of it's total income, yet none of the people who draw in the business see any of it. (Property Managers/Relief Managers) They constantly change the bonus structure every year and the majority of people do not receive a bonus despite the hard work they put in. District managers and above receive a very generous quarterly bonus all built on the back of our hard work. They want you to sell, sell and sell, yet give you no incentive to. I use to have faith in this company when I first started, but it has all gone downhill. The stockholder ALWAYS comes first. The employees will get shafted by not receiving any bonus and the customers will get ridiculous rent increases. Stay as far away from this company as possible. They will draw you in with false hope and promises.

Side note: Paid time off and holiday has been reduced each year.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart taking care of the property managers/relief mangers instead of treating us like garbage.

okay

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt was relatively easy work.

ConsHave to deal with public

Worked for Public Storage? Contribute to the Community!