Public Storage

Public Storage Reviews in Glendale, CA

Updated November 25, 2014
Updated November 25, 2014
2.9

Public Storage Vice Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman, President, and CEO, PS Business Parks Ronald L. Havner Jr.
Ronald L. Havner Jr.

Pros
  • So you have a good work/life balance if you have things to get taken care of after 6pm (in 14 reviews)

• There are many oppurtunity to move up after the District Manager level (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Being a property manager is a difficult task with a lot of responsibility (in 70 reviews)

• Not once has any upper management ever looked at my goal board (in 49 reviews)

More Highlights

22 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Proud to be a part of Public Storage's growth and success

Current Employee - Middle-Management in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Middle-Management in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great leadership coupled with a forward-thinking management team is the secret to Public Storage’s success. The company values hard-working employees and recognizes individual contributions. There are several long-term employees who share a passion to succeed. The company invests in hiring the right talent. Compensation is fair, great culture and work/life balance; co-workers are collaborative and always willing to help. My career at Public Storage has been rewarding and enjoyable.

Cons

I have been here for 25+ years and don't have any major complaints. Public Storage is constantly growing which makes it a very stable company; if you're not willing to work hard and adapt to change then this may not be the right fit for you.

Continue investing in the company's growth

Great company; even greater people.

Current Employee - Department Manager in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

First, the company is solid. It’s the undisputed leader in the industry with a good business model and a strong balance sheet – it’s not going anywhere but up.

The compensation is more than fair and there are the usual vacation and insurance benefits many companies offer these days. But it’s the intangibles that really make a difference. There’s a genuine passion to help employees develop and grow as professionals. And with the breadth of knowledge available in this office, you are limited only by your own ambition.

The environment is friendly and casual, with no ivory towers or executive washrooms. Even the highest-level executives are approachable and willing to listen to new ideas from anyone. It’s a refreshingly open-minded culture for a company this large – and probably one of the greatest reasons for our continued success.

Cons

There’s a lack of system redundancies in some areas that can cause pinch-points if a process fails. This is especially true with IT and the various software programs that that are inter-reliant. We need more diligent monitoring and better recovery planning – even if it’s just improved notification.

Corporate employee: 2 1/2 years. Industry leader, sucessful, lean & stable company.

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My experience working at the corporate office has been one of the best thus far in my 10 year working career. For a large publically traded-company, the enviroment is warm, friendly & family-like. The turnover is very low turnover as most of my colleages have been here for decades and are extremely knowledgeable and helpful. My department's processes are efficient and well-organized. Company culture promotes work-life balance, fairly compensates and provides plenty of opportunities to grow & advance.

Cons

Don't have any complaints thus far.

Public Storage Response

Nov 21, 2014HR

Thank you.

Great Company!

Current Employee - Middle Management in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Middle Management in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Public Storage is a great stable company to work for. Having been here for over 11 years I am happy to have found a company that values it's employees and their contributions. I love the fact that there are so many employees here who have been with the company for a long time. I know many who have been here over 15 years and several who have been here 20+ years. That is a sign of a good company to work for!

Cons

Sure compensation could be better or benefits could be greater, but it is competitive with other companies. You get what you put in to the company and your job. Do well and be rewarded. Doing your job and doing it well is expected. If you take pride in what you do then this is the place for you.

Management has been doing a great job. Public Storage is a stable company with a great business model. I am proud to be a part of Public Storage.

Good company if you have initiative and are a long term contributer

Current Employee - Middlle Management in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Middlle Management in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fellow employees in the corporate office are easy work with and the enviorment is gennerally low key. If you show initiative, a good work ethic and common sense the company can be very rewarding both financially as well as in terms of job/career satisfaction.

Cons

Depending on your position the balance between work and personal time can get a bit lopsided. However in the context of what can be expected in any company these days, its probably just normal.

Possibly extending out the RSU program in possibly a small way to a few key lower salaried and hourly personnel. It would build both loyalty and help those who plan to dedicate themselves to the company plan for thier latter years.

Great career move to a strong, stable and expanding publicly traded company. Top management team, talented colleagues.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Super smart and good-humored people at the top and throughout all levels of the organization. Employees are diverse, talented, dedicated and have a fun spirit. There are many long-term employees, some "bleed orange." Work is always interesting with new challenges every day. The company is forward-thinking and serioulsy plans for the future, striking a balance of high growth without high-risk. Fiscal policies are conservative with very little debt. The company culture is "be respectful to others" and feel free to laugh at yourself and make others laugh along the way. The company is very careful in the hiring process to make sure new hires are a good fit. The company spends a lot of money to hire and retain top talent. Corporate offices are at good location for easy commute from many directions. I work on a great team with a great boss and definitely recommend the company to others!

Cons

No challenges or gripes you wouldn't find in any organization. Some employees feel that communication needs to be improved. This probably varies from department to department, and between corporate and the field. It's a rapidly growing environment and hard to keep up with it all. Need to pursue your own path to success and personal growth. Slackers need not apply.

Continue to invest in a challenged, motivated and satisfied workforce. They will carry you to success on each of their backs.

Degrading

Current Employee - Corporate in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you like being made to feel like you're nothing than PS is the place for you.

Cons

Making less money then when you were a teenager.
    NO sick time, you have to use 5 vacation days then on the 6th day your sick time well kick in.
    2% or less yearly raise.
    Medical insurance costs have literally doubled.
    Vacation time has been cut.
    Managers treat you like you like the garbage stored in their facilities.
    Managers make it known that hourly employees are clearly beneath them.
    Managers are proud to take credit for the hard work of others.
    Employee turn over is huge due to the horrible lack of respect.

Treat others the way you demand to be treated. Perhaps try giving a little more in all aspects, this is a multi billion dollar company and employees are barely getting by but yet the executives get thousands to millions in yearly bonuses yet all others get a measly $500.

Working at Public Storage

Current Employee - Tax Management Specialist in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Tax Management Specialist in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I enjoy working with my co-workers in my department. Everyone is helpful and so kind. I am allowed to work a flexible schedule.

Cons

The distance I have to travel to get to work. There is no Metro-Link train that goes directly to Glendale. All commuting from the area that I live in must go through Los Angeles

Consider Rideshare Reimbursement

Great, stable company that is well-managed fiscally with many long-term and loyal employees.

Current Employee - Call Center Management in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Call Center Management in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone I work with at Public Storage is enthusiastic and bright. Many employees have been here for 15 to 20 years and still love their jobs! The employees believe in the product, the customers and the company. Time-off and benefits are good. Pay is good. I definitely recommend this company.

Cons

Company is very agressive and detailed about execution and results. If you're going to present results, make sure you know exactly what you're talking about and own it. Although I prefer this and it's a sign of a health, I can see how this could be an issue for some people.

A little more career pathing and development focus on employees may create some enthusiasm and a richer culture. Business model is solid and contributes to such a stable company, I wouldn't change a thing there.

Public Storage a great work place

Current Employee - Property Tax Analyst in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Property Tax Analyst in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Company has a friendly atmosphere. Policy is what is expected in a large corporation and pay is competitive. People is what makes this a great place to work. Working more than 25 years is a testament to its great leadership and management.

Cons

Help with transportation subsidy for carpooling and public transportation would be welcomed if the program was restored.