Public Storage

Public Storage Reviews in New York, NY

Updated July 18, 2014
Updated July 18, 2014
2.5

Public Storage Vice Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman, President, and CEO, PS Business Parks Ronald L. Havner Jr.
Ronald L. Havner Jr.

Pros
  • So you have a good work/life balance if you have things to get taken care of after 6pm (in 12 reviews)

• Working alone and having office/steady hours are about it (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Being a property manager is a difficult task with a lot of responsibility (in 65 reviews)

• All upper management is hired from outside the company and are trained by (in 45 reviews)

More Highlights

4 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Unethical and driven by Greed.

Former Employee - Property Manager  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Property Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Public Storage full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Relationships you make with some customers.

Cons

I could go into details but I won't. Trust me. Stay away.
    In a nutshell this is Public Storage.
    "a study by Northwestern University Kellogg School of Management has shown that when a culture is numbers driven it often leads to selfish, and unethical behavior"

You only care about making your bonus.You are the epitome of what has become of this country.
    I could not believe some of the things I saw while working for your company. A good portion of your DM's and SDM's are basically lying bullies.

The worst decision I ever made was to take a job at Public Storage!!!

Current Employee - Property Manager  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Property Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Public Storage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You work independently and some of the staff that you meet are very nice, as well as a few customers, and I mean very few.

Cons

This company is all about the share holders and upper management. They keep throwing script after script making you sound like a robot, which is a waste of time because no one follows it, only when the visits from the suits come around and drill you to death on the scripts. The bonus plan that they offer as an incentive is slowly being taken away from everyone, like were stupid and don't see that coming . It went from every 3 months to once a month now once a year. You get told you can advance but that's only from a relief manager to a property manager for .50 cents more an hour, and that's as far as you go. The district managers pretend to be your friend . A Ceo that never shows his face or even takes a minute to reach out to the staff (relief/property managers) that are the ones that line his pockets with the millions of dollars that he has. You not only have to clean up after every adult that acts as if they are still in diapers, but also listen to the complaints that they have to pay a late fee because they did not pay their rent but also call them to remind them and they scream and hang up on you. Since when does an adult have to be reminded to pay their rent.. Let's not forget the maximum security lock that you have to sell for ONLY $17.99 which is the same lock that you can buy in Walmart, a 2 pack for $12.99. and the insurance that covers nothing!!! Public Storage talks about "We Care" about our customers, BEWARE of this Company. Rent raises Rent raises Rent raises, but minimal raises for the relief/property managers. You are just a number to upper management until they decide to get rid of you, as they smile at you walking out the door. The turn around of employees and District managers is continuous which should also give you a clue of how this company is, and the pay is horrible, and then take the grueling task of KTP and you can earn yourself another .50 cents per hour!!! No Thanks!! As I heard this position is as painful as pulling teeth with no novacaine. Their sign that says "We Care" should be changed to "We really Don't Care" and do not fall for these fake reviews praising this company. Alot of District Managers will lie to you right to your face. Right now I am stuck there until a better job comes along so I will just keep looking.

Wake up and stop treating your staff as they are nothing. Promote from within the company, as you do not right now. Property/Relief managers are the ones who make the money for the CEO, would you mind giving us more incentive and better raises. Also instead of having people work alone, a second person would be nice to help, especially when you hear other stores are being robbed at gunpoint which is a secret kept by upper management. The better option is to inform us so we know what we are facing and maybe a description of the person would also help us..so which part of this is "We Care"?????

A company that his highly successful and profitable, at the total expense of it's employees.

Former Employee - District Manager  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - District Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Public Storage

Pros

Decent pay, good benefits. (as a DM) Very good bonus's, and preferred stock, but Don't get lulled in by the golden fish hook.

Cons

Complete disregard for one's work life balance. really a 7 day a week job. very common for the customer service department in California to call your home at 8pm to 9pm sending you back out on the job for ridiculous problems. They pay their reliefs and property manager very poorly, which makes it difficult to recruit and retain good people. I was called at 10pm on Christmas eve to go to work, because a fire alarm was going off. The stories could go on and on and on.
    50% district manager turnover from year to year. 8 years for stock to vest, they count on you leaving before you own it.

The culture has been a tension convention before I was there, is now, and will be in the future, unless you take a close look at the demands you place on your DM's
    I was doing well, I left for a better opportunity, but I would never recommend PS to anyone.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Don't work here.

Current Employee - Relief Manager  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Relief Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Public Storage

Pros

None that I can think of. They actually have some good and decent people working for them, but they are trapped in the horrible Public Storage culture.

Cons

Lousy pay compared to the competition. Benefits are a joke. Management tells us to lie to our customers and in the same sentence tell us if confronted they will deny it. Some of their business practices are unethical and probably border on illegal. They cut corners which at times compromises our safety. I find it hard to believe that upper management is not aware of these and many other issues.

Show some decency,compassion and respect to your field personal who help fill your pockets. This is a stressful job and you guys are clueless to the fact. You guys want more and more from us and at the same time take more and more from us.

Worked for Public Storage? Contribute to the Community!