Public Storage

Public Storage Reviews in New York, NY

Updated December 17, 2014
Updated December 17, 2014
2.9

Public Storage Vice Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman, President, and CEO, PS Business Parks Ronald L. Havner Jr.
Ronald L. Havner Jr.

Pros
  • So you have a good work/life balance if you have things to get taken care of after 6pm (in 14 reviews)

• There are many oppurtunity to move up after the District Manager level (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Being a property manager is a difficult task with a lot of responsibility (in 70 reviews)

• Not once has any upper management ever looked at my goal board (in 49 reviews)

More Highlights

4 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Anywhere But Here!

Current Employee - District Manager Public Storage in New York, NY
    Current Employee - District Manager Public Storage in New York, NY

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Pay at 75K
    -Guaranteed bonus if you dont get fired first.

Cons

-You're NOT really a DM...every decision has to be approved by your boss.
    -Your employees (relief & property managers) have no company growth so if you are taking the job because you are interested in developing a dynamic team...RUN.
    -Benefits cost way more than average $175-$320 with co-pays and $2500 deductibles per person ...for "A Million" company, they should be able to provide atleast a 50-50 plan instead of 20-80(employee)
    -MICRO-MANAGEMENT kills
    -Saturday/Sunday off does not exist.
    -On call 24-7 and we're not saving lives....Work-life balance is a joke.
    -No culture, no recognition, no team building, no community engagement, no holiday parties and THANK YOU is foreign to much of upper management.
    -Turn over is way too high...been here 6 months and saw 4 people go...3 quit!

Bottom line PS sucks!

We sell storage units...don't over complicate the job functions!
    Stop hiding behind meaningless emails and conference calls.

Your safety is not the concern of Public Storage

Former Employee - Relief Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Relief Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Public Storage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You meet new people and establish relationships. Recent hires are nice. Established co-workers hate the job and are looking to leave and find employment elsewhere. Yes this is a "Pros"

Cons

Some of your responsibilities include sweeping up mouse and rat droppings. Mopping up urine. Some customers can't seem to find the bathroom. Many buildings are broken down and management will not spend the money to do repairs. Many of us feel unsafe. Cameras are broken. Doors are broken. I worked in a building where anyone could have walk up on us from behind in the office. When we told the District manager to have the door fixed his exact words were"It's not in the budget" Security is more for show than actual security. You are held accountable for things you have zero control of. Most District managers are working scared and will blame property personal for everything.
    Your days off change from week to week. If you call in sick you are told to find someone to work for you. You are asked to do unethical things with a wink. You are basically treated like a paid slave.

You and everyone else knows. You just don't care.

A company that his highly successful and profitable, at the total expense of it's employees.

Former Employee - District Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - District Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Public Storage

Pros

Decent pay, good benefits. (as a DM) Very good bonus's, and preferred stock, but Don't get lulled in by the golden fish hook.

Cons

Complete disregard for one's work life balance. really a 7 day a week job. very common for the customer service department in California to call your home at 8pm to 9pm sending you back out on the job for ridiculous problems. They pay their reliefs and property manager very poorly, which makes it difficult to recruit and retain good people. I was called at 10pm on Christmas eve to go to work, because a fire alarm was going off. The stories could go on and on and on.
    50% district manager turnover from year to year. 8 years for stock to vest, they count on you leaving before you own it.

The culture has been a tension convention before I was there, is now, and will be in the future, unless you take a close look at the demands you place on your DM's
    I was doing well, I left for a better opportunity, but I would never recommend PS to anyone.

Don't work here.

Current Employee - Relief Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Relief Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Public Storage

Pros

None that I can think of. They actually have some good and decent people working for them, but they are trapped in the horrible Public Storage culture.

Cons

Lousy pay compared to the competition. Benefits are a joke. Management tells us to lie to our customers and in the same sentence tell us if confronted they will deny it. Some of their business practices are unethical and probably border on illegal. They cut corners which at times compromises our safety. I find it hard to believe that upper management is not aware of these and many other issues.

Show some decency,compassion and respect to your field personal who help fill your pockets. This is a stressful job and you guys are clueless to the fact. You guys want more and more from us and at the same time take more and more from us.