Public Storage

Public Storage Reviews

Updated December 17, 2014
Updated December 17, 2014
2.9

Public Storage Vice Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman, President, and CEO, PS Business Parks Ronald L. Havner Jr.
Ronald L. Havner Jr.

Pros
  • So you have a good work/life balance if you have things to get taken care of after 6pm (in 14 reviews)

• There are many oppurtunity to move up after the District Manager level (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Being a property manager is a difficult task with a lot of responsibility (in 70 reviews)

• Not once has any upper management ever looked at my goal board (in 49 reviews)

More Highlights

My Second Home

Current Employee - Manager- Corporate
    Current Employee - Manager- Corporate

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Being a part of a dynamic company who is the leader in the industry gives me an incentive to want to contribute my best effort and do my share to tackle the chalenges to not only become number one in the industry but to stay number one. Been with the company over 22 years and created friendships that are dear to me which I would not replace for anything else. This is my second home and its leadership inspires me to perform at work the same way I would perform for my own business.

Cons

Field employees often change and when turnover occurs and you are dependant on information support, you'll have to find a way to obtain it regardless.

More training to new hires to learn and understand company policies and procedures.

Very decent employment...

Current Employee - Property Manager/KTP
    Current Employee - Property Manager/KTP

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

We have a very supportive District Manager who works hard to help us with anything we need. Our district works well as a team and we have fun while working hard. They offer contests and other incentives on a regular basis for a little extra money in our pockets. They coach from a positive perspective. Nobody gets yelled at or embarrassed by management. We work independently and are not 'baby-sat'. We are trusted to run our stores and do the job. I always have plenty of PTO time to use and our DM does his very best to accommodate our needs. Not one person was 'let go' when the economy 'tanked' a few years ago. We all kept our 40 hours. If you don't like to work hard, this is not the job for you. Sometimes a lot is expected of us, but that works well for me. Some of the sites offer company apartments with paid utilities, which has saved me a great deal of money in living expenses over the years.

Cons

I don't have too many complaints about the job, except for the extensive paper-trail we are required to keep; and getting 'called in' like in other typical retail environments when people don't show for their shifts. I have never been pressured or required to do this, though. There can be a heavy work-load at times, so if you are looking to 'ride the clock', this is not the job for you. All-in-all, very solid job. I am grateful to the company for the opportunities they have given me during my employment here.

Some of the very young employees lack the maturity to handle the responsibility of the single-staffed environment that applies to many of the stores. They seem to be hiring super-young staff lately and we are getting a lot of call-outs where the rest of us have to pick up the slack. Perhaps they should hire a little older or find a way to better-evaluate the maturity level of prospective employees? Just a thought.

Great company to work for.

I have been working at Public Storage

Pros

Business generates lots of cash for growth and justifies high stock price.
    Management team always seeking to improve

Cons

Not in a flashy business of renting storage units
    Sometimes not thought of as a leading edge company but it is the leader in the industry.

Keep doing what has worked since 1972 but mindful of the competition.

No Way

Former Employee - District Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - District Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Public Storage

Pros

Flexible schedule. I can't think of any other pros.

Cons

Micro managing boss, cheap company who brags about cash on hand constantly.

Don't micro manage.

Interesting job. Interesting customers. Management squishes you.

Former Employee - Property Manager in Glendale, AZ
    Former Employee - Property Manager in Glendale, AZ

I worked at Public Storage full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Fun job. Interesting customers. Every day different.

Cons

Only one person per week can take a vacation. There are more weeks of vacation than there are weeks in a year. Those who don't get (use) vacation get the money in November, and have no time off. Cannot take an individual day off....have to take a whole week off. If your parents are celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary on a Saturday, you must ask off for the whole week. Not everyone gets paid for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or New Years. About 80% do, about 20% do not. Different persons every year. Want to feel worthless? Work here and watch your co-workers get paid, but you don't.

Your employees have lives, too.

Proud to be a part of Public Storage's growth and success

Current Employee - Middle-Management in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Middle-Management in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great leadership coupled with a forward-thinking management team is the secret to Public Storage’s success. The company values hard-working employees and recognizes individual contributions. There are several long-term employees who share a passion to succeed. The company invests in hiring the right talent. Compensation is fair, great culture and work/life balance; co-workers are collaborative and always willing to help. My career at Public Storage has been rewarding and enjoyable.

Cons

I have been here for 25+ years and don't have any major complaints. Public Storage is constantly growing which makes it a very stable company; if you're not willing to work hard and adapt to change then this may not be the right fit for you.

Continue investing in the company's growth

Become a storage expert today!

Current Employee - Property Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Public storage is definately an Industry leader, very stable! Very customer service focus company ! Work a minimum of 38-40 hrs a week, independent work setting with opportunity to complete task and goals as a team! Gain great managerial experience Excellent benefits to include dental, vision + medical insurance. 401K plan is awesome. flexibl and paid vacation time... you will get a increase in pay after 6 months and opportunity to earn additional money through referral program and the annual bonus program that is in place. Rotating off days to give you flexibly with your personal life

Cons

Little to no opportunity for career advancement..only starts off with $9.50 .. bonus program is annually

"Take care of your employees and they will definitely take care of the business! " Best Regards

Not the worst but dont see myself working here long term .

Current Employee - Relief Manager in Clifton, NJ
    Current Employee - Relief Manager in Clifton, NJ

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (less than an year)

Pros

38-39 hours a week
    5 days a week
    12 starting with 50 cent raise after 6 mo
    Health and dental n vision benefits

Cons

No same days off per week
    Alot of work for 12 per hr
    Makes you sell insurance with no commision
    Corparation ran
    Communication with upper management
    Little to no Advancement

Stop being CHEAP. Give a little more pay position requires you to rent, clean, bill collect, answer phones, do paperwork and handle customer issues.

Great company; even greater people.

Current Employee - Department Manager in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

First, the company is solid. It’s the undisputed leader in the industry with a good business model and a strong balance sheet – it’s not going anywhere but up.

The compensation is more than fair and there are the usual vacation and insurance benefits many companies offer these days. But it’s the intangibles that really make a difference. There’s a genuine passion to help employees develop and grow as professionals. And with the breadth of knowledge available in this office, you are limited only by your own ambition.

The environment is friendly and casual, with no ivory towers or executive washrooms. Even the highest-level executives are approachable and willing to listen to new ideas from anyone. It’s a refreshingly open-minded culture for a company this large – and probably one of the greatest reasons for our continued success.

Cons

There’s a lack of system redundancies in some areas that can cause pinch-points if a process fails. This is especially true with IT and the various software programs that that are inter-reliant. We need more diligent monitoring and better recovery planning – even if it’s just improved notification.

Horrible compay to work for.

Current Employee - District Manager Public Storage
    Current Employee - District Manager Public Storage

I have been working at Public Storage

Pros

There are no pros. There is nothing positive to say. Read all reviews. This is a company that had the HR Directors call new District Managers to ask them to write positive reviews on Glass Door because the reviews they had were horrible.

Cons

Honestly...there are no pros to working here. There is no home/work balance. It's all work. They expect their district managers to work 24/7, and have even made statements that this job "is not 8 to 6 anymore...you must do work before 8 and after 6". You really do have to work long days--the expectation is high and so is the workload. Unfortunately the pay is not. There is a base commute that they take out of your mileage so this leaves you driving all over and receiving pennies for your travel. The expectations on the property managers are great, but their pay borders on the poverty level. Public Storage is very well run and is extremely profitable, but this comes at the cost of the employees. There is little to no recognition. The CEO stated at an annual conference that the company is "puking cash". What a fantastic statement to make in front of managers brought to the meeting making minimum wage or slightly above. One property manager commented to us that if the company is puking cash how come none of the lights work outside on her property and nothing ever gets repaired. They promote heavily from the DM level and above, but you need to be a favorite of the Regional VP--you don't necessarily have to be the smartest, or best at your job, but you sure need to be liked by the Regional. They have hired many new district managers all over the country and this is really the direction they are moving in. New blood--in with the new and out with the old. If you are great at driving results by beating your team down this is the job for you! Just keep asking them to get you those results by giving them nothing in return. Think twice before you accept the position. They will sell you on the company and how they run the business, but once you're in you will regret your choice. I work in an area where most of the DMs are overwhelmed and very unhappy. Health benefits are horrible--of course because they just don't care.

Value your team. Take the time to appreciate them and recognize them. Compensate them for the work they do. Repair the properties--spend the money to bring the properties up to standard.

Public Storage Response

Dec 16, 2014HR

Thank you for sharing your review. Public Storage’s financial strength and fiscal policies have enabled it to sail through global economic crisis with minimum impact on its business and employees ... More