Public Storage Reviews

Updated March 25, 2015
393 reviews filtered by
2.9
Public Storage Vice Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman, President, and CEO, PS Business Parks Ronald L. Havner Jr.
Ronald L. Havner Jr.

Pros
  • So you have a good work/life balance if you have things to get taken care of after 6pm (in 14 reviews)

• There are many oppurtunity to move up after the District Manager level (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Being a property manager is a difficult task with a lot of responsibility (in 70 reviews)

• Not once has any upper management ever looked at my goal board (in 49 reviews)

1. Public Storage is a great and solid company to work for

I have been working at Public Storage

Pros

PS has financially strong balance sheet and it is the leader in the industry. The benefits and compensation are in line with other companies of its size. I believe that there is always room for growth if you want to challenge yourself in your job. It is very stable and one can see themselves retiring here. If you work hard and contribute to your department you will be be recognized and compensated accordingly.

Cons

Maybe the company can provide more perks like Thanksgiving turkeys and company picnics for employees and their families. Maybe they can give out more cash prizes at the company holiday party. Maybe PS can absorb more of the employee's health insurance premiums.

Advice to management: None really, I think management is doing a great job running the company.

2. This is not too bad of a place to work. It could be better as far as benefits and bonuses.

Current Employee - Property Manager in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The hours are good. It's like bankers hours. Possible chance of bonus and apartment. Also, they do offer benefits.

Cons

Sometimes the DM will have favorites. There tends to be drama all the time between property managers and relief managers. Some property managers seem to think they are above relief managers.

Listen when an employee has a complaint and try to help them. Do not have favorites.

Good for the young & dumb

Former Employee - Property Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Property Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Public Storage

Pros

The bonus used to be a pro until they took it

Cons

You're never an actual manager they are required by law to name a manager for properties but you have no say so with other employees, "your" property, or anything at all. They will work you until you can't take anymore and want to get rid of anyone who asks that they be fair. With the schedule you never have time for anything either.

Stop acting like tyrants squeezing blood from turnips and actually do some work.

5. It is great to be part of a solid and successful company.

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

One of the most efficient, productive and economical company. Hires the best and brightest in the industry. I am very fortunate to be apart of this organization. This makes my job interesting and challenging. Plenty of learning opportunities. Great working environment were everyone is professional and courteous to one another. Very family oriented company. Many loyal employees who dedicated many years of service to the company.

Cons

Health benefits could be better.

Would like to see more advancement within the organization.

Great place to work if you are a hard worker

I have been working at Public Storage

Pros

One of the best things about working for Public Storage is the work and independence. You are allowed to make decisions that affect the company in positive way and earn the respect of management. If you are a good, ethical, and hard worker management will show confidence in yours skills and allow you to grow and earn a good living. I have been with Public Storage for over 20 years and have enjoiyed the business challenges and the opportunities for growth professionally and intellectually.

Cons

Public Storage is a publicly traded company and as such must continue to grow and change in order to be competitive in the real estate market. Some people are not good at adapting to change in the business world and may find it difficult to understand business decisions a company makes to keep it successful.

Continue to reward and acknowledge key perfomers who contribute to the success of the company big and small.

Incredibly stable and profitable company.

Current Employee - Analyst in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

During my 10 years at Public Storage I've had the opportunity to work with incredibly talented people in the both the field organization and the corporate office. I've had the opportunity to take on many roles that were well suited to my talents and skills. Work/life balance is great, and as a corporate employee I've rarely had to work weekends or holidays.

Cons

I would love to see a profit sharing program. In years prior, employees had the option to purchase company stock in their 401K plan, this option no longer exists.

A good solid company to work for

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

First of all, Public Storage is a very solid company that is well run and in great financial shape. So, you don't have to worry about layoffs and accross the board cost cuts. The management is very smart and knows how to run a company smoothly. It is not a disfunctional company at all.

Beyond that, the people here are very nice and treat each other very good. I have been here 25+ years and am very lucky to have found this company. We stay busy, but we I don't work any overtime for the most part. So, we can all live with that. Work at Public Storage if you want to be part of an S&P 500 company that feels kinda like a neighborhood real estate company. Good atmosphere.

Cons

I really don't have any. Maybe a little more contribution to our 401K would be nice.

How about profit sharing for "all" of the employees.

This is a great company to work for, a industry leader with really great people

Current Employee - Training and Support Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Training and Support Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Public Storage

Pros

Long term stability and a positive working environment. A senior leadership team that has grown revenue while developing a dynamic business model that is extremely responsive to its customer base. Great people, I am a long term employee and have enjoyed the worth ethic and passion of my work colleagues across the whole organization. This is a company with world class operational processes and high standards, it has a culture that is willing to explore and generate new ideas within the industry while remaining laser-focused on the key drivers of the business every day. You need to bring your ‘A’ game but it is truly worth it.

Cons

There are no real cons in truth. It is a high performing environment so commitment is big but it’s been very positive in my experience.

Thanks for steering the ship.....

Very successful company that provides stability for a long term career.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There is an open line of communication between management and employees. This is a stable organization that will provide you with long-term career stability. The compensation plan is very competitive within the retail industry. The management team operates with a high level of integrity and personal accountability. They value family time and a good work life balance.

Cons

In order to maintain the competitive edge and company growth, hard work is required. Some may view this as taking away from personal life. If you struggle with time mgmt., and/or personal accountability, then this may not be the company for you. The company hires only "A" players

A great and stable company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great people all around. Easy going and friendly atmosphere. Convenient schedule does not interfere with life outside of work. I'm able to manage personal issues such as appointments, family emergencies, etc without too much difficulty. I'm able to get my work done without a lot of micromanagement. This is a strong company which gives more peace of mind as to job security.

Cons

Some previous perks slowly disappearing giving a more corporate feel, but still an overall great company to work for.