Public Storage

Public Storage Reviews

Updated November 19, 2014
Updated November 19, 2014
2.8

Public Storage Vice Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman, President, and CEO, PS Business Parks Ronald L. Havner Jr.
Ronald L. Havner Jr.

Pros
  • So you have a good work/life balance if you have things to get taken care of after 6pm (in 13 reviews)

• Working alone and having office/steady hours are about it (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Being a property manager is a difficult task with a lot of responsibility (in 67 reviews)

• Not once has any upper management ever looked at my goal board (in 47 reviews)

More Highlights

Proud to be a part of Public Storage's growth and success

Current Employee - Middle-Management in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Middle-Management in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great leadership coupled with a forward-thinking management team is the secret to Public Storage’s success. The company values hard-working employees and recognizes individual contributions. There are several long-term employees who share a passion to succeed. The company invests in hiring the right talent. Compensation is fair, great culture and work/life balance; co-workers are collaborative and always willing to help. My career at Public Storage has been rewarding and enjoyable.

Cons

I have been here for 25+ years and don't have any major complaints. Public Storage is constantly growing which makes it a very stable company; if you're not willing to work hard and adapt to change then this may not be the right fit for you.

Continue investing in the company's growth

Become a storage expert today!

Current Employee - Property Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Public storage is definately an Industry leader, very stable! Very customer service focus company ! Work a minimum of 38-40 hrs a week, independent work setting with opportunity to complete task and goals as a team! Gain great managerial experience Excellent benefits to include dental, vision + medical insurance. 401K plan is awesome. flexibl and paid vacation time... you will get a increase in pay after 6 months and opportunity to earn additional money through referral program and the annual bonus program that is in place. Rotating off days to give you flexibly with your personal life

Cons

Little to no opportunity for career advancement..only starts off with $9.50 .. bonus program is annually

"Take care of your employees and they will definitely take care of the business! " Best Regards

Great company; even greater people.

Current Employee - Department Manager in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

First, the company is solid. It’s the undisputed leader in the industry with a good business model and a strong balance sheet – it’s not going anywhere but up.

The compensation is more than fair and there are the usual vacation and insurance benefits many companies offer these days. But it’s the intangibles that really make a difference. There’s a genuine passion to help employees develop and grow as professionals. And with the breadth of knowledge available in this office, you are limited only by your own ambition.

The environment is friendly and casual, with no ivory towers or executive washrooms. Even the highest-level executives are approachable and willing to listen to new ideas from anyone. It’s a refreshingly open-minded culture for a company this large – and probably one of the greatest reasons for our continued success.

Cons

There’s a lack of system redundancies in some areas that can cause pinch-points if a process fails. This is especially true with IT and the various software programs that that are inter-reliant. We need more diligent monitoring and better recovery planning – even if it’s just improved notification.

Interesting job. Interesting customers. Management squishes you.

Former Employee - Property Manager in Glendale, AZ
    Former Employee - Property Manager in Glendale, AZ

I worked at Public Storage full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Fun job. Interesting customers. Every day different.

Cons

Only one person per week can take a vacation. There are more weeks of vacation than there are weeks in a year. Those who don't get (use) vacation get the money in November, and have no time off. Cannot take an individual day off....have to take a whole week off. If your parents are celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary on a Saturday, you must ask off for the whole week. Not everyone gets paid for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or New Years. About 80% do, about 20% do not. Different persons every year. Want to feel worthless? Work here and watch your co-workers get paid, but you don't.

Your employees have lives, too.

Been working full time for 2 years

Current Employee - Property Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

On site apartment at most of the properties, majority of the time DM's and above tell the customers the same thing regarding policy. in my 14 years of working, this is one of my favorite jobs because you aren't micro managed and you don't have to worry about telling the customers one thing and your boss telling them something else.

Cons

The only con is that the call center and customer service tells the customers things that aren't accurate.

Not the worst but dont see myself working here long term .

Current Employee - Relief Manager in Clifton, NJ
    Current Employee - Relief Manager in Clifton, NJ

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (less than an year)

Pros

38-39 hours a week
    5 days a week
    12 starting with 50 cent raise after 6 mo
    Health and dental n vision benefits

Cons

No same days off per week
    Alot of work for 12 per hr
    Makes you sell insurance with no commision
    Corparation ran
    Communication with upper management
    Little to no Advancement

Stop being CHEAP. Give a little more pay position requires you to rent, clean, bill collect, answer phones, do paperwork and handle customer issues.

Property Manager, South Carolina

Current Employee - Property Manager
    Current Employee - Property Manager

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The team of people that I work with in the district that I am in are great. We are team players, and when another property needs help there is always someone stepping up to the plate to help. And of course it helps that we have the greatest District Manager that there is. Working with the public you do meet lots of different people, so it is very important to be a people person. Constantly being recognized for doing a good job.

Cons

Explaining a rent increase to customers. It presents a challenge, but it helps me grow professionally.

Great Company

Current Employee - Property Manager in Roanoke, VA
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Roanoke, VA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working at PS gives you, steady hours, the work is not hard but is challenging. If you love customer service you will love this job. The company is stable, my District Manager is great and the Senior District Manager is awesome as well. Raises, bonuses, PTO time, and two days off per week. I love my job.

Cons

Property and Relief mangers should be paid a higher per hour wage. Growth potential after becoming a PM is zero. So pay incentive is a must.

I think communication with employees is key. Good property managers know their market, need to mix it up with pricing models. Let your PMs inform you about what other storage companies are doing in their area to out price us. Pay incentives are key to keeping good people.

Corporate employee: 2 1/2 years. Industry leader, sucessful, lean & stable company.

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My experience working at the corporate office has been one of the best thus far in my 10 year working career. For a large publically traded-company, the enviroment is warm, friendly & family-like. The turnover is very low turnover as most of my colleages have been here for decades and are extremely knowledgeable and helpful. My department's processes are efficient and well-organized. Company culture promotes work-life balance, fairly compensates and provides plenty of opportunities to grow & advance.

Cons

Don't have any complaints thus far.

Public Storage Response

Nov 21, 2014HR

Thank you.

Public Storage is a good company to work for. I've been here a year and its a very good company. Its a independent stress free environment.

Current Employee - Resident Relief Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Resident Relief Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Public storage is a Independent stress free environment. It Makes you feel like you are at home and living on property is a big help too!

Cons

There aren't many challenges here at public storage. if you do all your work in a timely fashion and meet your numbers! Customers will be customers where ever you are at but customer service skills is where you will win!