Public Storage Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
3.1
Public Storage Vice Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman, President, and CEO, PS Business Parks Ronald L. Havner Jr.
Ronald L. Havner Jr.

Pros
  • So you have a good work/life balance if you have things to get taken care of after 6pm (in 14 reviews)

• being in direct contact with District manager is great (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • If you become a property manager (more responsibility) there is no pay raise (in 70 reviews)

• FYI sales men don't clean bathrooms or do a team lift for abandon goods because upper management don't not get vendor to remove it (in 49 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Corporate Office - Information Technology

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No political drama. Decisions are made using data and logic versus emotion. Employee retention is a pleasant surprise. People love working here and very few leave. The security of a successful company. Easy access to management. Anyone can talk to anyone else. Managers are empowered. Leadership trusts you to do your job. Investments in technology to upgrade systems enable new capabilities makes Public Storage an exciting place to work for everyone.

Cons

Some benefits are not as generous as other large companies but the policies encourage personal responsibility which is a very good thing. There are only a few corporate holidays but the holidays align with when the storage facilities are also closed which is fair and supportive of the people who interact with customers every day. This is unlike many large retail type businesses where corporate gets time off but the store employees have to work.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Public Storage Response

Jun 23, 2015 – HR

Thank you for your feedback. We're glad you're a part of the Public Storage team.

2. Public Storage provides a lot of opportunities to advance your career.

Current Employee - District Manager Public Storage in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - District Manager Public Storage in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Public Storage is a winning Company with approachable employees at all levels of the organization. Strong bonus programs provide opportunities for all employees in the Company. As a DM, you are able to create and develop your Team. With smaller Teams compared to other District Manager positions with other Companies, you are able to spend more time with each employee to coach, recognize great performances and follow up. DM's get to increase leadership skills, facilitating skills and mentoring skills by working closely with other District Managers and Regional Managers.

Cons

Company provides a lot of perks to the field personnel including full time positions, benefits, annual bonuses and provide apartments to live in as well. Even with these perks, I would like to see more incentives for the employees in the properties at a monthly or quarterly timeframes.

Advice to Management

Along with adding incentives to employees in the properties, adding additional support to grow managerial skills for Property personnel would benefit the Company.

3. I have worked for PS for over 7 years and am very happy with the company.

Current Employee - Senior District Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior District Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company is committed to my development and provides me with the tools I need to succeed. They challenge me to grow every day! PS relocated my family and I across the country as part of their commitment to my success as I transitioned from the DM to Senior DM role. They care about my development and give me feedback on ways to be more effective in my role.

Cons

I can't think of any. This is a great company to work for if you have high standards for development and professional growth.

Advice to Management

Find ways to develop managerial skills of those at property level. I am on a market that doesn't have larger "A" properties where opportunity exists for the individuals with the right potential.

5. Great Work/Life Balance

Current Employee - Regional Manager in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Regional Manager in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

In the 5 years that I have worked for this company I have been able to earn multiple promotions and oversee 100+ employees while still enjoying raising my 6 and 12 year old kids. This is a retail position that allows you to have and be good at both. Kudos to Public Storage!

Cons

The more that Public Storage can continue to give to our field level employees the better. Public Storage seems to add these perks (benefits, FT hours, end of year bonuses, apartment opportunities, advancement opportunities, etc.) which is ahead of the curve and great but giving out more would strengthen the brand even more.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Executive Management continues to strengthen this company.

6. Operations

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company is exceptional in all aspects from financial stability to people development. The work culture is one of growth and development through candid feedback. The atmosphere is one of work/life balance, teamwork and a drive to always improve. If you are looking to grow and develop your career this is the place for you.

Cons

Hard to find any cons of a company that's a financial powerhouse focused on developing their people.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

7. A Stable Company Focused on Its People

Current Employee - Senior District Manager in Huntington Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Senior District Manager in Huntington Beach, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hands down the best company I have ever worked for. There is a huge emphasis on people development and naturally, along the way, some won't make it. You are expected to work and work hard, but with all of the growth opportunities here, you are recognized and rewarded for your hard work. I honestly feel like my supervisors care about me and my continued growth and development in my career. I definitely did not feel that in my previous job. Coming from a retail background, having the holidays be your slowest time period of the year is a nice change as well!

Cons

None that I can really think of. This is really a great company to work for if you're not afraid to push yourself and work hard.

Advice to Management

Find more ways to develop the management skills of those at the property level. As we develop and open larger facilities, there should be more opportunities for these folks to get much-needed experience delegating and managing others in almost a retail store-type atmosphere.

8. Fun & Stable

Former Employee - Reservation Sales Agent in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Reservation Sales Agent in Glendale, CA

I worked at Public Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed the people I worked with. The hours were extremely flexible. We worked a 7.5 hour shift with great benefits. Free bagels every Friday and free Krispy Kreme donuts once a month. Ongoing training to help you succeed.

Cons

There is no advancement. Some agents who have been in the same position as me are making the old wage of $18/hr, while the newer agents can only make $15/hr. We are competing with our own website pricing. We get penalized for taking misdirected calls (non-sales).

Advice to Management

Redo the bonus structure to allow for more compensation. Let us not compete with website on pricing. Be stricter with people who dont show up for work. If you dont show you are fired. Not fair for those who do show up. Also, dont hire too early in the season because we end up short-handed when we need people! Would be nice if Supervisors worked longer hours when we have to as well...

Ok if you're fine with not going anywhere

Current Employee - Property Manager
    Current Employee - Property Manager

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Set schedule Set daily activities You work alone Not much micro-managing depending on your DM In the office majority of the time

Cons

Dealing with the irate customers Having to make harassing phone calls to collect payments You are responsible for the entire property, grounds and all If you are a relief manager be prepared to behave a certain with with all the property managers, each property manager does their own thing differently Training doesn't really stop, as 2 weeks is not enough time to learn all the processes They expect you to use scripts that corporate makes, but corporate probably has never dealt with an irate customer who is being evicted/kicked out of their home High pressure sales tactics to sell merchandise

Advice to Management

Please think of your employees, we work hard and do the job of 2-3 different people at one time.

10. Relief Manager

Former Employee - Relief Manager in Pasadena, TX
    Former Employee - Relief Manager in Pasadena, TX

I worked at Public Storage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not any pros working with this company.

Cons

Long hours, ridiculous scripts, horrible pay, incentives are horrible, they MAKE you sale and get reviews for the store or upper management will be down your back and you get a write up,no moving up

11. Solid REIT with excellent future potential

Current Employee - Internal Audit Supervisor in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Internal Audit Supervisor in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Maybe the most solvent REIT in the USA. Prudent company who does not take chances but has grown handsomely over the last few years. Properties located in virtually every major U.S. city so re-location is an option if a work Associate chooses and has proven themselves worthy.

Cons

Transition for positions within the company is limited, especially if you are not living in Southern California (corporate headquarters). Business is not glamorous, but profitability is amazing.

Advice to Management

One of the greatest aspects of Public Storage is the CEO and CFO have long tenures (certainly longer than S & P 500 company averages) so little advice is needed. These guys know what they are doing.

RSS Feed </> Embed