Public Storage

Public Storage Reviews

Updated October 19, 2014
Updated October 19, 2014
2.5

Public Storage Vice Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman, President, and CEO, PS Business Parks Ronald L. Havner Jr.
Ronald L. Havner Jr.

Pros
  • So you have a good work/life balance if you have things to get taken care of after 6pm (in 12 reviews)

• Working alone and having office/steady hours are about it (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Being a property manager is a difficult task with a lot of responsibility (in 67 reviews)

• Not once has any upper management ever looked at my goal board (in 46 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company!

Current Employee - Middle Management in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Middle Management in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Public Storage is a great stable company to work for. Having been here for over 11 years I am happy to have found a company that values it's employees and their contributions. I love the fact that there are so many employees here who have been with the company for a long time. I know many who have been here over 15 years and several who have been here 20+ years. That is a sign of a good company to work for!

Cons

Sure compensation could be better or benefits could be greater, but it is competitive with other companies. You get what you put in to the company and your job. Do well and be rewarded. Doing your job and doing it well is expected. If you take pride in what you do then this is the place for you.

Management has been doing a great job. Public Storage is a stable company with a great business model. I am proud to be a part of Public Storage.

District Manager. 2 years

I have been working at Public Storage

Pros

I love the people I work with. It's great working for a company that is an industry leader and you know is not going anywhere. I feel like I am well compensated for what I do.

Cons

The has been has been very successful with its business model but there is definitely some opportunities when it comes to property maintenance. We do spend a lot of time doing our own repairs and maintenance around the property.

Great, stable company that is well-managed fiscally with many long-term and loyal employees.

Current Employee - Call Center Management in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Call Center Management in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone I work with at Public Storage is enthusiastic and bright. Many employees have been here for 15 to 20 years and still love their jobs! The employees believe in the product, the customers and the company. Time-off and benefits are good. Pay is good. I definitely recommend this company.

Cons

Company is very agressive and detailed about execution and results. If you're going to present results, make sure you know exactly what you're talking about and own it. Although I prefer this and it's a sign of a health, I can see how this could be an issue for some people.

A little more career pathing and development focus on employees may create some enthusiasm and a richer culture. Business model is solid and contributes to such a stable company, I wouldn't change a thing there.

Over the past seven years this company has been a great place for me to grow personally and professionally.

Current Employee - Property Manager/KTP in Daly City, CA
    Current Employee - Property Manager/KTP in Daly City, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits of working here are that you get to work with the public and meet lots of different people In the community, the company offers onsite management for property managers , and offers up to date training in customer service and retail sales.

Cons

Some of the challenges to working here are the different customer service issues you may encounter. Though they can present a challenge they can also help you grow professionally and you are never left without help to solve them.

My advice to management is to continue putting customers and employees first.

Public Storage a great work place

Current Employee - Property Tax Analyst in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Property Tax Analyst in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Company has a friendly atmosphere. Policy is what is expected in a large corporation and pay is competitive. People is what makes this a great place to work. Working more than 25 years is a testament to its great leadership and management.

Cons

Help with transportation subsidy for carpooling and public transportation would be welcomed if the program was restored.

Great place to invest your career

Current Employee - Operations
    Current Employee - Operations

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

First and foremost, we have a Chairman of the Board that truly cares about every individual in the organization. Additionally, we have all been held to a very high standard of integrity, so our company won't stand for unethical members on the team. If you want to be developed, and grow both professionally and personally then this is the place to be. We do set the bar high, because we believe that in order to be the best, we must have the best people.

We all work very hard at Public Storage, but the rewards far outweigh the hard work. I look forward to starting my day, because I know that I work for one of the best ran corporations in the world. Lastly, with all of the businesses shuttering their doors, laying off people or being taken over...I can sleep well at night knowing that my company has solid balance sheet and a bright future.

Cons

If you are not performance driven and results oriented, then you won't like working here.

Thank you for making Public Storage a great place to work. Please continue to only except top notch performance from our fellow team members.

Good company if you have initiative and are a long term contributer

Current Employee - Middlle Management in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Middlle Management in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fellow employees in the corporate office are easy work with and the enviorment is gennerally low key. If you show initiative, a good work ethic and common sense the company can be very rewarding both financially as well as in terms of job/career satisfaction.

Cons

Depending on your position the balance between work and personal time can get a bit lopsided. However in the context of what can be expected in any company these days, its probably just normal.

Possibly extending out the RSU program in possibly a small way to a few key lower salaried and hourly personnel. It would build both loyalty and help those who plan to dedicate themselves to the company plan for thier latter years.

8 years and still not bored.

Current Employee - Property Manager/KTP in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Property Manager/KTP in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

This is the best Retail has to offer. I truly enjoy my job. I have been able to make my store my own. I follow the company guidelines, I know my scripts. Yes you do have to learn scripts but I have found at every turn they help. They are just a way to know policy. I have had several DM's and they have all been very kind and understanding especially when it comes to family. Scheduling is very flexible and days off are primarily together. The company is stable and I know I will have my job for awhile. I have respect for upper management including the CEO. I have enjoyed great success because I like to take care of customers. The customers are always interesting. The success has been rewarded and I have been recognized as a leader within my group by both my peers and management. I have been both an onsite and offsite manager. The great part about being onsite is the commute, the bad part is that you are always at work, however, you are never required to work on your off time. The great part about being an offsite manager is you get to go home when the day is done. I am lucky because I have seen the effect I have had within my work groups. I have been around long enough to see a fair amount of change and it has all been good. When I first met Ron Havner I said "welcome to my store" and then I said "wait your store" He corrected me by saying it was "our store." That just about says it all.

Cons

Like all large companies the processes to get things done can be slow.

Keep listening to your PM's and RM's they have lots of ideas

Great company!!!!

I have been working at Public Storage

Pros

All employees have options to benefits. Including health, vision and medical.
    Paid time off
    Endless advancements in the company
    Paid holidays

Cons

No cons!!! It's a great place to work!

If you are looking for a culture based company you have found it! Success is about commitment to excellence

Current Employee - District Manager Public Storage in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - District Manager Public Storage in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The management team is dedicated to helping you grow as a leader. You run a business within a business and can see results with effort. Very rewarding personally and financially.

Cons

This is not for the faint of heart. It a marathon job that is about relentless execution. If that is you it will pay off. If you are looking for the dream of overnight success, keep looking.

As an operations manager that has been with the company nearly 4 years I would like to learn more about opportunities that exist within the company to help develop new initiatives. Onward and upward!

Public Storage Response

Oct 15, 2014HR

Thank you for taking the time to review your company. We appreciate it and hope your insight helps other prospective candidates.