Public Storage

Public Storage Reviews

Updated December 21, 2014
Updated December 21, 2014
2.9

Public Storage Vice Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman, President, and CEO, PS Business Parks Ronald L. Havner Jr.
Ronald L. Havner Jr.

Pros
  • So you have a good work/life balance if you have things to get taken care of after 6pm (in 14 reviews)

• There are many oppurtunity to move up after the District Manager level (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Being a property manager is a difficult task with a lot of responsibility (in 70 reviews)

• Not once has any upper management ever looked at my goal board (in 49 reviews)

More Highlights

My Second Home

Current Employee - Manager- Corporate
    Current Employee - Manager- Corporate

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Being a part of a dynamic company who is the leader in the industry gives me an incentive to want to contribute my best effort and do my share to tackle the chalenges to not only become number one in the industry but to stay number one. Been with the company over 22 years and created friendships that are dear to me which I would not replace for anything else. This is my second home and its leadership inspires me to perform at work the same way I would perform for my own business.

Cons

Field employees often change and when turnover occurs and you are dependant on information support, you'll have to find a way to obtain it regardless.

More training to new hires to learn and understand company policies and procedures.

Great company to work for.

I have been working at Public Storage

Pros

Business generates lots of cash for growth and justifies high stock price.
    Management team always seeking to improve

Cons

Not in a flashy business of renting storage units
    Sometimes not thought of as a leading edge company but it is the leader in the industry.

Keep doing what has worked since 1972 but mindful of the competition.

Proud to be a part of Public Storage's growth and success

Current Employee - Middle-Management in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Middle-Management in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great leadership coupled with a forward-thinking management team is the secret to Public Storage’s success. The company values hard-working employees and recognizes individual contributions. There are several long-term employees who share a passion to succeed. The company invests in hiring the right talent. Compensation is fair, great culture and work/life balance; co-workers are collaborative and always willing to help. My career at Public Storage has been rewarding and enjoyable.

Cons

I have been here for 25+ years and don't have any major complaints. Public Storage is constantly growing which makes it a very stable company; if you're not willing to work hard and adapt to change then this may not be the right fit for you.

Continue investing in the company's growth

Great company; even greater people.

Current Employee - Department Manager in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

First, the company is solid. It’s the undisputed leader in the industry with a good business model and a strong balance sheet – it’s not going anywhere but up.

The compensation is more than fair and there are the usual vacation and insurance benefits many companies offer these days. But it’s the intangibles that really make a difference. There’s a genuine passion to help employees develop and grow as professionals. And with the breadth of knowledge available in this office, you are limited only by your own ambition.

The environment is friendly and casual, with no ivory towers or executive washrooms. Even the highest-level executives are approachable and willing to listen to new ideas from anyone. It’s a refreshingly open-minded culture for a company this large – and probably one of the greatest reasons for our continued success.

Cons

There’s a lack of system redundancies in some areas that can cause pinch-points if a process fails. This is especially true with IT and the various software programs that that are inter-reliant. We need more diligent monitoring and better recovery planning – even if it’s just improved notification.

Been happily working here full time for 2 years

Current Employee - Property Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

On site apartment at most of the properties, majority of the time DM's and above tell the customers the same thing regarding policy. in my 14 years of working, this is one of my favorite jobs because you aren't micro managed and you don't have to worry about telling the customers one thing and your boss telling them something else.

Cons

The only con is that the call center and customer service tells the customers things that aren't accurate. Potential tenants are told to bring in the minimum to rent and then we have to inform them of the other security features.

Great Company

Current Employee - Property Manager in Roanoke, VA
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Roanoke, VA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working at PS gives you, steady hours, the work is not hard but is challenging. If you love customer service you will love this job. The company is stable, my District Manager is great and the Senior District Manager is awesome as well. Raises, bonuses, PTO time, and two days off per week. I love my job.

Cons

Property and Relief mangers should be paid a higher per hour wage. Growth potential after becoming a PM is zero. So pay incentive is a must.

I think communication with employees is key. Good property managers know their market, need to mix it up with pricing models. Let your PMs inform you about what other storage companies are doing in their area to out price us. Pay incentives are key to keeping good people.

Property Manager, South Carolina

Current Employee - Property Manager
    Current Employee - Property Manager

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The team of people that I work with in the district that I am in are great. We are team players, and when another property needs help there is always someone stepping up to the plate to help. And of course it helps that we have the greatest District Manager that there is. Working with the public you do meet lots of different people, so it is very important to be a people person. Constantly being recognized for doing a good job.

Cons

Explaining a rent increase to customers. It presents a challenge, but it helps me grow professionally.

Public Storage is a good company to work for. I've been here a year and its a very good company. Its a independent stress free environment.

Current Employee - Resident Relief Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Resident Relief Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Public storage is a Independent stress free environment. It Makes you feel like you are at home and living on property is a big help too!

Cons

There aren't many challenges here at public storage. if you do all your work in a timely fashion and meet your numbers! Customers will be customers where ever you are at but customer service skills is where you will win!

Corporate employee: 2 1/2 years. Industry leader, sucessful, lean & stable company.

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My experience working at the corporate office has been one of the best thus far in my 10 year working career. For a large publically traded-company, the enviroment is warm, friendly & family-like. The turnover is very low turnover as most of my colleages have been here for decades and are extremely knowledgeable and helpful. My department's processes are efficient and well-organized. Company culture promotes work-life balance, fairly compensates and provides plenty of opportunities to grow & advance.

Cons

Don't have any complaints thus far.

Public Storage Response

Nov 21, 2014HR

Thank you.

Great career move to a strong, stable and expanding publicly traded company. Top management team, talented colleagues.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Super smart and good-humored people at the top and throughout all levels of the organization. Employees are diverse, talented, dedicated and have a fun spirit. There are many long-term employees, some "bleed orange." Work is always interesting with new challenges every day. The company is forward-thinking and serioulsy plans for the future, striking a balance of high growth without high-risk. Fiscal policies are conservative with very little debt. The company culture is "be respectful to others" and feel free to laugh at yourself and make others laugh along the way. The company is very careful in the hiring process to make sure new hires are a good fit. The company spends a lot of money to hire and retain top talent. Corporate offices are at good location for easy commute from many directions. I work on a great team with a great boss and definitely recommend the company to others!

Cons

No challenges or gripes you wouldn't find in any organization. Some employees feel that communication needs to be improved. This probably varies from department to department, and between corporate and the field. It's a rapidly growing environment and hard to keep up with it all. Need to pursue your own path to success and personal growth. Slackers need not apply.

Continue to invest in a challenged, motivated and satisfied workforce. They will carry you to success on each of their backs.