Public Storage

Public Storage Reviews

Updated September 14, 2014
Updated September 14, 2014
2.5

Public Storage Vice Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman, President, and CEO, PS Business Parks Ronald L. Havner Jr.
Ronald L. Havner Jr.

Pros
  • So you have a good work/life balance if you have things to get taken care of after 6pm (in 12 reviews)

• Working alone and having office/steady hours are about it (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Being a property manager is a difficult task with a lot of responsibility (in 65 reviews)

• All upper management is hired from outside the company and are trained by (in 45 reviews)

More Highlights

No direction, poor training

I worked at Public Storage

Pros

The company makes more money than they know what to do with.

Cons

Always on the clock, never have time to yourself. No incentive for property managers to sell. Always reactive and never proactive!

Participate in undercover boss to get a true understanding of how people feel.

Horrible

I worked at Public Storage

Pros

Meet new people and ok hours

Cons

Long weeks. I have worked 7 and 8 days straight. Never get a Saturday off and very lucky if you get a Sunday off. You never know what you will be working from week to week. Lots of work and no consideration for a family. The buildings are falling apart and camera don't work. Never get recognized for anything you do. They always want more and more. They don't care about there employees because you can be replaced. If your a big boss like DM etc. Then you get great pay and weekends off. Always getting harassed by the customers. I personally have been threatened at least once a week. They don't care. In the end everything falls on your plate. I have never worked for a company that is so heartless. This is a temporary job. Don't get trapped.
    They make it sound good but everyone is a manager and there higher ups are from outside never within the company. So no chance to move up. If you love your family and don't want to get treated like crap on there shoe don't work here. Lots and lots of work for little pay. You must sale merchandise and push it on customers or get in trouble. They are all about money not customer service. Just a horrible company.

You should care about the employees and there families and a better and Safer working place. Like better pay and alternating weekends off.

Fire Me PLEASE!

Current Employee - Relief Manager  in  Lakewood, CO
    Current Employee - Relief Manager in Lakewood, CO

I have been working at Public Storage full-time for more than a year

Pros

Moving is such a stressful time, I really like the type of work, being able to help people when they need it the most.

Cons

Since I started to work for Public Storage, they have taken away bonuses and vacation time. They ask more on a daily basis that they themselves wouldn't or couldn't do. As property managers we asked to prostitute ourselves for the Google review and become "used car salesmen" when customers move in by selling them merchandise they don't need. All the bonuses for those sales going to the DM or RM. While the properties are falling apart, golf carts set with flat tires and dead batteries. Gates held together by wire coat hangers. But don't forget the raffle ticket that could win you $50.00 but just made your DM $500.00. I am tired of jumping thru hoops and doing cartwheels to sell merchandise and begging for Google reviews.

Remember who makes the money that pays your Bonus, imagine how much the company would make if you gave back the things you took away... The threat of loosing your job is no longer incentive enough to make me do the things that I feel are unethical. I was looking for a Job when I found this one.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Can You Hear The Squeak?

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Public Storage for more than a year

Pros

Steady company that will keep you underemployed for as long as you can handle no growth opportunities.

Cons

This company epitomizes corporate greed. Don't be fooled from corporate to field management there is little to no concern for employees. Top management seems to receive large increases and bonuses while the CEO manages to take every benefit possible from lower and middle level employees. The HR department is far too small and to support the number of employees in the company and are relatively silent unless to support taking any incentives away. Your success here has nothing to do with skill or ability, no corporate reviews were delivered last year so expect little as a rule.

Develop a compensation department, deliver reviews and offer your employees a reason to have a vested interest in delivering results. You get what you pay for. Pathetic to see a successful company operate like they are closing tomorrow and employees are all dispensable. Try caring for corporate employees half as much as you care for yourselves.

Worst Ever

Former Employee - Resident Property Manager
    Former Employee - Resident Property Manager

I worked at Public Storage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The hours are fantastic, and your coworkers will likely be decent. If you do the job right, you will meet and befriend a number of your tenants, especially if you are a Resident Manager.

Cons

This has to be the worst company I have ever worked for. The pay is horrid, about half what the industry median industry wages are. Also, they refuse to pay for upkeep on their buildings. I had to call OSHA after 2.5 years of complaining about the dangers of having NO LIGHTS at the Property when it is dark. I actually went and bought my own light meter and found over 75% of the property, including RIGHT in front of my Apartment Door, registered absolutely ZERO foot candles. A month after I anonymously filed a complaint with OSHA, all the lighting was repaired. What a sad reflection on a company that safety and security concerns are not enough to warrant repairs, only when they face fines for blatant violations of the law do they spend the money. Also, it takes a Manager actually filing a complaint to have this done. Most managers will not, especially in this Economic Environment, because Public Storage can fire you and have you evicted from your home on 72 hours notice.

DO NOT WORK HERE!!

I left them to go work for another Storage Company that actually pays a percentage of revenue as a bonus in ADDITION to the Residence and HIGHER PAY RATE.

Promote internally, pay better wages.

Soulless corporation

Former Employee - Relief Manager
    Former Employee - Relief Manager

I worked at Public Storage full-time for less than a year

Pros

Sometimes there's downtime to read or do homework if it's exceptionally slow, and since they're open 7 days a week, there's more flexibility with scheduling

Cons

Overall poor communication between employees and management
    Robotic sales scripts favored over personality of individuals
    Kickbacks for your managers for everything you sell, but no commission for you
    Properties are in complete disarray, and upper management's solution is to Jimmy rig instead of actually fix anything
    Constant harassment from management about sales numbers and quotas
    Lazy coworkers that are kept around despite their incompetence

Grow a conscience, treat people like humans instead of cash cows.

Never Again at this call center in Gilbert, AZ

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  Gilbert, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Gilbert, AZ

I worked at Public Storage full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Pay was decent.... health benefits were good... At time of interview, they made it sound really good as far as sick time; vacation time; etc...

Cons

Personal Growth.... there is none !!! For the most part, this company does NOT promote from within.... there are no raises AT ALL no matter how long you have been there. They continue to set you up for failure.... there is no winning at this place.... you leave every single day feeling beat up and a failure. They have no values... there is no work/life balance here. You get 2 paid holidays a year.... those would be Thanksgiving and Christmas. The call center is closed. The ONLY holiday you receive time and a half for is New Years Day.... all the rest if you are scheduled you work for straight time. They will change your schedule on you, most of the time without notice. They don't care if you have previous plans or day care issues.... you better be in that chair taking their calls no matter what.

They best take a look at how they are treating their employees. At the call center in Gilbert, there has been quite a bit of attrition from quite a few tenured folks. They are going down and going down quick. Perhaps if they were to take a look at upper management (in Glendale, CA) shake things up there a bit, the employee would be in a much better position. With all the attrition that is happening from such tenured folks, perhaps it is time to start to look into senior management and why so many are leaving or just not caring anymore. Would NEVER recommend this employer to ANYONE ...

$91000 Doesn't Even Begin to Compensate

Current Employee - District Manager  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - District Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Public Storage full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

It seems great. Good pay, hours that are bankers hours with only a Monday-Friday work week. Business casual dress and 2 weeks of PTO your first year. Too bad that's not really all accurate.

Cons

Let's be honest. You have multi-unit management experience, you are thinking you want to work for a massive company with growth potential and $75,000 the first year plus a guaranteed $16,000 bonus doesn't sound too bad, right? Wrong. The District Manager position is more like a store manager position anywhere else. You are managing $10 an hour employees and it's 16-25 of them. Most store managers have more direct reports.

For this compensation, you are expected to be on call essentially 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Every morning you need to be up and calling each one of your properties to ensure that each of your $10 an hour "managers" has shown up for work in a timely manner. If they haven't, you need to notify your Vice President boss and find a way to cover that shift or go to the store and open it yourself. A report comes out daily and goes to everyone from the CEO to the District Manager about what property didn't open on time.

If a gate goes down at 9:30 pm and someone is stuck behind, guess who goes? The District Manager. Customer needs in on an emergency after office hours? District Manager. Lock gets stuck on a weekend and it's urgent? Again, District Manager. Someone wants to finally pay their bill before an auction at 6 am? District Manager.

During the summers, it's a mandatory 6 day work week, no compensation or additional time off during the week and no option as to which days those will be. You're expected in the field from 8 am to 6 pm and to still find time to accomplish all your own work of doing mindless reports, reviewing numbers that expectations change daily on and managing your team of under-motivated, poorly paid, high school educated employees. The good news?

There is no personal growth in this company. The leadership is continuously changing and turnover has become so bad it's now part of the bonus metric. Any District Manager worth his weight can find a better job - the ones that tend to stay have come from companies that are sub-par and aren't able to move forward and advance with another company. Public Storage is where they die. District Managers are only hired from the outside and are never promoted from within - great succession planning right?

District Managers are expected to be professional but be on the same comfort level with their hourly managers. Dress code is business casual and is expected even when you are repairing a rolling door, changing a hasp or cutting a lock in 100 plus temperatures or sub-zero ones. There is no quality of life outside this job. If you don't eat, live and breathe Public Storage, you won't make it.

It's about basic greed and corporate manipulation. There is no ethical room to even help anyone. it's a bitter end for anyone who can't pay as an auction is conducted regardless of situation. Your job is to say no, I don't care that you have cancer, don't care that you're getting divorced, don't care that you're dying or that you lost your mother - can't pay today, too bad - it's sold. Public Storage likes to say "We're a compassionate company" but frankly, we aren't. We are a cut throat, money hungry organization that simply is out to make a buck. We raise your rent - pay or get out. There is no flexibility.

My bottom line is that I took this position with another offer on the table. I made the wrong decision. I'm looking now as I'm miserable here and it's a limited market. I've been with 2 big box retailers as a District Manager and never been this micromanaged or abused.

Invest in your employees. Stop micro-managing and worrying about ridiculous things like if managers clock in 8 minutes late. Have some opportunity to advance. Reward the good things that people do rather than managing to the exception. The CEO stated we are a company that "pukes cash", you should put some back in to your people.

District Manager

Current Employee - District Manager  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - District Manager in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Public Storage full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent pay, though not so much when you factor in hours worked.

Cons

On-call 24/7 even on weekends and when on vacation. HIGH turn-over, property level employees have no authority so you babysit, everything changes each month or quarter, impossible to meet metrics, not enough money budgeted for constant repairs needed so you're forced to fudge the numbers then someone gets fired when it's discovered. Unethical company, run fast if you're even thinking of working here at any level.

Listen to people on the front lines and let them do their jobs.

Do not ruin your resume being a District Manager for Public Storage

Former Employee - District Manager
    Former Employee - District Manager

I worked at Public Storage full-time for more than a year

Pros

The salary is very good. Bonuses are great if they don't fire you before you can collect.

Cons

This is a temporary job. There is a 90% turn on the DM position. Public Storage constantly hires "Bench District Managers" to learn the job of a DM and then take over when one is fired. Within 2 years I watched over 20 District Managers get fired for no reason. You will sign an agreement that you agree you can be terminated for no reason at any time. Taking a job with PS will ruin your resume because it will show a short length of time and it is bottom barrel multi level management working for a storage company. Do not let the one year of a good salary tempt you. Public Storage has a "No references allowed" policy, so do not expect a reference upon your departure. Regional Vice Presidents do not want anyone good to stand out and possibly take their job, so they fire you. Even if you are one of the very top performers in consecutive quarters - you will be fired. #1 They don't want to give out raises and bonuses to those doing so well and there are 3 or 4 fully trained "Bench DM's" waiting for placement. #2 The Regionals do not want a DM to outshine them. #3 It's difficult to build a team of successful YOY Property Managers because Public Storage does not promote Property Managers. As a DM you will have to find and hire people that are ok with being paid $9.50 per hour with zero chance of advancement.

Promote from within, design a real HR department. Stop with the vicious circle of having Bench DMs waiting to take over when successful DMs are fired because you don't want to pay out bonuses.

Worked for Public Storage? Contribute to the Community!