Public Storage Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
Public Storage Vice Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman, President, and CEO, PS Business Parks Ronald L. Havner Jr.
Ronald L. Havner Jr.

Pros
  • So you have a good work/life balance if you have things to get taken care of after 6pm (in 14 reviews)

• being in direct contact with District manager is great (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • If you become a property manager (more responsibility) there is no pay raise (in 70 reviews)

• FYI sales men don't clean bathrooms or do a team lift for abandon goods because upper management don't not get vendor to remove it (in 49 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Corporate Office - Information Technology

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No political drama. Decisions are made using data and logic versus emotion.
    Employee retention is a pleasant surprise. People love working here and very few leave.
    The security of a successful company.
    Easy access to management. Anyone can talk to anyone else.
    Managers are empowered. Leadership trusts you to do your job.
    Investments in technology to upgrade systems enable new capabilities makes Public Storage an exciting place to work for everyone.

Cons

Some benefits are not as generous as other large companies but the policies encourage personal responsibility which is a very good thing. There are only a few corporate holidays but the holidays align with when the storage facilities are also closed which is fair and supportive of the people who interact with customers every day. This is unlike many large retail type businesses where corporate gets time off but the store employees have to work.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Jun 23, 2015HR

Thank you for your feedback. We're glad you're a part of the Public Storage team.

2. about the job

I have been working at Public Storage (Less than a year)

Pros

Get off early and day went by fast

Cons

Under pay for all the work you do,not enough security

Advice to Management

Get a better safe environmentfor the empolyees

3. Over The Years..

Current Employee - Assistant Buyer in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Buyer in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Public Storage

Pros

Longevity is the best way I can start this review as a 12 year vet at this Company. If you are looking to work for a great Company and have the skills, for-sight to work hard and flexibility to change at any given notice. This would be a great work place for anyone who applies these abilities to their work ethic.
    Starting out at the property level was my introduction to how the PS family operates. I had a large work load and gave my all to provide the best customer service and complete all work duties assigned. As I grew to master these tasks on a daily bases, I also grew stagnant to the limitations I was feeling towards my strengths and abilities. So I decided to put in my two weeks after 2 years of service. Once I advised my GM at the time, she then advised our VP at the time. To my surprise, they both scheduled a meeting a few days later to convenience me not to leave the company. I thought to myself why? They both expressed how much I was an asset to the company with great work ethic and provided such great CS, they could not loose me. So they suggested I try a corporate sales job for 3 days, the following week. If I did not like it, they would honor my resignation, but if I felt the sales position would be a better fit position, I could take the job and extra pay ($) . I tried it for the 3 days and took it! After 4.5 years of sales. I was enjoying the sales and learning development training and of course the pay. But not the complacency took its tool on spirit. My manager at the time put a recommendation in for another positon within the company, as an Assistant Buyer. I applied myself again and took the position to further my PS education. I say education because there is so much to learn and teach in all the fields I have grown in.
    My years at PS have been awesome and rewarding. The PS family has a special place in my heart and I would recommend anyone to apply themselves to become a part of this family. It’s not easy to go above and beyond for some people, but doing better and thinking ,then re-thinking any positive ways to push yourself forward, will have great rewards. Not just for the company you work for, but to prove to yourself, it’s my responsibility to create your own goals and achievements. They just get to reap the benefits for your hard work 

Cons

As much money as they make, they should be better raises and stock options for non-ex employee's as well.

Advice to Management

Do better at employee compensation and bring back lunch tucks and Company paid vacations.

5. Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Payroll Coordinator in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Payroll Coordinator in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have been working here for 8 years and it has been one of the best companies i have worked for. The Job security here is great. Most employees have been working here many years. The pay is is competitive. The management is great. Any time i needed help or advice for any level of management, they have been very helpful. All my coworkers are a joy to work with. in my opinion Public Storage treats it's employees very well. Once a month they have a birthday celebration and give prizes and cake to feed the whole corporate office. they also give holiday bonus' and a holiday party.

Cons

I don't have much cons. Maybe they can send more memos let us know how much they appreciate us. Of course even though the pay is competitive, I wouldn't mind receiving better annual increases.

Advice to Management

Don't forget to make your employees feel that you appreciate the work we do more often.

6. Live on Site Property Manager

Former Employee - Property Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Property Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Public Storage (More than 10 years)

Pros

Didn't have to drive to work
    Apartments were nice
    Free Apartment

Cons

Scripts made you feel pressured and didn't matter if you rented space without the use of the scripted. Customers will rent cause they need storage.
    Living on site you were always available since you lived there.

Advice to Management

Customers will rent with or without the use of a script.. They cone there to rent a space and not to be pressured into taking insurance and buying a lock.. Customers didn't like being forced into purchasing a lock Need better raise's cause you live on site and work after hours,.

7. Great place

Former Employee - Relief Manager in Farmingdale, NY
    Former Employee - Relief Manager in Farmingdale, NY

I worked at Public Storage

Pros

Great coworkers, good ceo, good benefits

Cons

A lot of downtime, very rarely work another relief/property manager

Advice to Management

Nothing, everything seems to be fine there

Jun 23, 2015HR

Thank you for your contribution toward our success.

8. Conservative and Stable

Former Employee - Instructional Designer in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Instructional Designer in Glendale, CA

I worked at Public Storage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Conservative company with reasonable management. If you perform, they are very rewarding.

Cons

If you try to do something different and it fails, there is very little support and you can put yourself in danger.

Advice to Management

Listen.

Jun 23, 2015HR

Thanks for sharing your experience at Public Storage. We wish you well in your career.

9. Nice Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've worked at Public Storage for many years now, I like it here, people are nice and I like my job. Sure, I'd recommend this workplace to a friend. I will continue to work here as long as my boss will have me.

Cons

I just wish the vacation hours and holiday hours are the same as before, sick and vacation hours keep getting smaller and smaller.

Jun 22, 2015HR

Thank you for your dedication and contribution toward our company's success. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience here at Public Storage.

10. work

Current Employee - Relief Manager
    Current Employee - Relief Manager

I have been working at Public Storage

Pros

good employee wok relationship throughout district

Cons

none just a perfect place to work

Jun 23, 2015HR

We appreciate your dedication and effort, thank you.

Mark's opinion

I worked at Public Storage

Pros

I actually liked the job,

Cons

I did not like being forced to speak from a script!!!!

Advice to Management

Let people sell in there own words!!! Pay them better as well.

RSS Feed </> Embed