Public Storage

Public Storage Reviews

Updated December 24, 2014
Updated December 24, 2014
2.9

Public Storage Vice Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman, President, and CEO, PS Business Parks Ronald L. Havner Jr.
Ronald L. Havner Jr.

Pros
  • So you have a good work/life balance if you have things to get taken care of after 6pm (in 14 reviews)

• There are many oppurtunity to move up after the District Manager level (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Being a property manager is a difficult task with a lot of responsibility (in 70 reviews)

• Not once has any upper management ever looked at my goal board (in 49 reviews)

More Highlights

Public Storage is a great place to work, IMO.

Current Employee - Relief Manager in Whitehall, PA
    Current Employee - Relief Manager in Whitehall, PA

I have been working at Public Storage

Pros

Ive been working for public storage for some time now, and i cant say i relate to the reviews im seeing on here. From the beginning, the SDM who hired me has been very confident in my abilities. He has shown me much encouragement & continously gives me props for what i do. My DM is absolutely phenomenal. He listens to my every need and responds to every text message and call almost immediately. He also gives me a sense of security, he lets me know hes here for me and hes got my back. I dont know if its the region im in, but in my district we work as a team. I couldnt be happier. For those complaining about numbers and scripts, we are SALES people. Of course theyre going to expect good numbers from us!

Cons

Having to work every weekend lol , but of course you know this will be required from the moment you are interviewed. If youre going to complain about it, just dont take the job.

Reward the SDMs and DMs who actually try to work with their team as a family. They are also put under much pressure. Employees should be able to review their managers so you can see past the numbers.

The 900 lb Gorilla

Former Employee - Store Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Public Storage

Pros

Good place to train in the self storage business. You learn about deceptive practices and how this company will con their customers.

Cons

Low pay, poor benefits, bad ethics on how to treat customers and employees. Overbearing managers who really don't care about anything except their own selves.

Hire managers who care, have some ethics and won't lie to customers.

Dangerous working conditions

Current Employee - Property Manager
    Current Employee - Property Manager

I have been working at Public Storage (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you ever want to be a telemarketer, you'll get the skills here.

Cons

There are many reasons to stay away.#1.Not enough money to pay for even a modest living.
    #2.Dangerous working conditions. You work alone and when evening falls ,you have to walk perfect strangers down dark aisleways to look at units.
    #3. Nothing gets fixed in a timely manner. Golf carts are inoperable for months even years.
    #4.Your Bonus is based on ridiculous, unreachable numbers, that change whenever you start getting close to meeting them.
    #5. Every year the benefits are worse than the year before.
    #6. My last yearly raise was. 21 cents.
    I could say a lot more but, I hope I painted you a pretty clear picture.

You say you care, bit your actions speak loud and clear. Fire yourselves!

Very decent employment...

Current Employee - Property Manager/KTP
    Current Employee - Property Manager/KTP

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

We have a very supportive District Manager who works hard to help us with anything we need. Our district works well as a team and we have fun while working hard. They offer contests and other incentives on a regular basis for a little extra money in our pockets. They coach from a positive perspective. Nobody gets yelled at or embarrassed by management. We work independently and are not 'baby-sat'. We are trusted to run our stores and do the job. I always have plenty of PTO time to use and our DM does his very best to accommodate our needs. Not one person was 'let go' when the economy 'tanked' a few years ago. We all kept our 40 hours. If you don't like to work hard, this is not the job for you. Sometimes a lot is expected of us, but that works well for me. Some of the sites offer company apartments with paid utilities, which has saved me a great deal of money in living expenses over the years.

Cons

I don't have too many complaints about the job, except for the extensive paper-trail we are required to keep; and getting 'called in' like in other typical retail environments when people don't show for their shifts. I have never been pressured or required to do this, though. There can be a heavy work-load at times, so if you are looking to 'ride the clock', this is not the job for you. All-in-all, very solid job. I am grateful to the company for the opportunities they have given me during my employment here.

Some of the very young employees lack the maturity to handle the responsibility of the single-staffed environment that applies to many of the stores. They seem to be hiring super-young staff lately and we are getting a lot of call-outs where the rest of us have to pick up the slack. Perhaps they should hire a little older or find a way to better-evaluate the maturity level of prospective employees? Just a thought.

Anywhere But Here!

Current Employee - District Manager Public Storage in New York, NY
    Current Employee - District Manager Public Storage in New York, NY

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Pay at 75K
    -Guaranteed bonus if you dont get fired first.

Cons

-You're NOT really a DM...every decision has to be approved by your boss.
    -Your employees (relief & property managers) have no company growth so if you are taking the job because you are interested in developing a dynamic team...RUN.
    -Benefits cost way more than average $175-$320 with co-pays and $2500 deductibles per person ...for "A Million" company, they should be able to provide atleast a 50-50 plan instead of 20-80(employee)
    -MICRO-MANAGEMENT kills
    -Saturday/Sunday off does not exist.
    -On call 24-7 and we're not saving lives....Work-life balance is a joke.
    -No culture, no recognition, no team building, no community engagement, no holiday parties and THANK YOU is foreign to much of upper management.
    -Turn over is way too high...been here 6 months and saw 4 people go...3 quit!

Bottom line PS sucks!

We sell storage units...don't over complicate the job functions!
    Stop hiding behind meaningless emails and conference calls.

My Second Home

Current Employee - Manager- Corporate
    Current Employee - Manager- Corporate

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Being a part of a dynamic company who is the leader in the industry gives me an incentive to want to contribute my best effort and do my share to tackle the chalenges to not only become number one in the industry but to stay number one. Been with the company over 22 years and created friendships that are dear to me which I would not replace for anything else. This is my second home and its leadership inspires me to perform at work the same way I would perform for my own business.

Cons

Field employees often change and when turnover occurs and you are dependant on information support, you'll have to find a way to obtain it regardless.

More training to new hires to learn and understand company policies and procedures.

There should be a Negative option for Stars to describe my opinion of this employer....

Former Employee - Property Manager/KTP in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Property Manager/KTP in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Public Storage

Pros

I worked with the company for nearly a decade. There was a time when I enjoyed this job. I always enjoyed my clients, and enjoyed my coworkers. It was good to work both inside and outside daily.

Cons

I see many results that say not bad pay for an easy job. Those reviews come from the obscene number of employees who have been hired as body's, that don't work. At ALL. Upper management will hire anybody, you need only apply and show up. For that matter, once hired, if you don't feel like showing up its OK, someone who's more dedicated than you, will cover for you, and you will not be reprimanded, despite how overworked the teammate was who covered for you. THE DEDICATED STAFF ARE TAKEN FOR GRANTED, & OFTEN SKIPPED IN REWARDS. They blatantly disregard unscrupulous behaviors and in fact encourage them. Nothing matters but the metrics. Pay is to low for the heavy workload both physical and mentally. Favoritism is used to disperse bonuses and awards. While fear is used to push employees to preform and remain loyal.... So much truth stands to what I've stated that the name Public Storage alone being sited on my resume often sparked negative conversation in interviews and frequently added to the reason for my not being hired.

Invest in some morals. Invest in your field, both the employees and the facilities. Clean house on upper management, wipe the slate clean and try ethical practice in how you do business. You have lost and continue to lose valuable staff that slip through the cracks without so much as a "Good Luck" to see them off.

They don't value their employees

I have been working at Public Storage

Pros

Stable company with lots of cash flow but they don't share that with front line employees

Cons

They pay terribly but expect perfection. The upper management has no respect for front line employees

Pay more to hire employees that have the skill set you demand

Horrible compay to work for.

Current Employee - District Manager Public Storage
    Current Employee - District Manager Public Storage

I have been working at Public Storage

Pros

There are no pros. There is nothing positive to say. Read all reviews. This is a company that had the HR Directors call new District Managers to ask them to write positive reviews on Glass Door because the reviews they had were horrible.

Cons

Honestly...there are no pros to working here. There is no home/work balance. It's all work. They expect their district managers to work 24/7, and have even made statements that this job "is not 8 to 6 anymore...you must do work before 8 and after 6". You really do have to work long days--the expectation is high and so is the workload. Unfortunately the pay is not. There is a base commute that they take out of your mileage so this leaves you driving all over and receiving pennies for your travel. The expectations on the property managers are great, but their pay borders on the poverty level. Public Storage is very well run and is extremely profitable, but this comes at the cost of the employees. There is little to no recognition. The CEO stated at an annual conference that the company is "puking cash". What a fantastic statement to make in front of managers brought to the meeting making minimum wage or slightly above. One property manager commented to us that if the company is puking cash how come none of the lights work outside on her property and nothing ever gets repaired. They promote heavily from the DM level and above, but you need to be a favorite of the Regional VP--you don't necessarily have to be the smartest, or best at your job, but you sure need to be liked by the Regional. They have hired many new district managers all over the country and this is really the direction they are moving in. New blood--in with the new and out with the old. If you are great at driving results by beating your team down this is the job for you! Just keep asking them to get you those results by giving them nothing in return. Think twice before you accept the position. They will sell you on the company and how they run the business, but once you're in you will regret your choice. I work in an area where most of the DMs are overwhelmed and very unhappy. Health benefits are horrible--of course because they just don't care.

Value your team. Take the time to appreciate them and recognize them. Compensate them for the work they do. Repair the properties--spend the money to bring the properties up to standard.

Public Storage Response

Dec 16, 2014HR

Thank you for sharing your review. Public Storage’s financial strength and fiscal policies have enabled it to sail through global economic crisis with minimum impact on its business and employees ... More

Great company to work for.

I have been working at Public Storage

Pros

Business generates lots of cash for growth and justifies high stock price.
    Management team always seeking to improve

Cons

Not in a flashy business of renting storage units
    Sometimes not thought of as a leading edge company but it is the leader in the industry.

Keep doing what has worked since 1972 but mindful of the competition.