Public Storage

Public Storage Reviews

Updated January 24, 2015
Updated January 24, 2015
2.9

Public Storage Vice Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman, President, and CEO, PS Business Parks Ronald L. Havner Jr.
Ronald L. Havner Jr.

Pros
  • So you have a good work/life balance if you have things to get taken care of after 6pm (in 14 reviews)

• There are many oppurtunity to move up after the District Manager level (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Being a property manager is a difficult task with a lot of responsibility (in 70 reviews)

• Not once has any upper management ever looked at my goal board (in 49 reviews)

More Highlights

No opportunity for lateral movement past the Trainer position.

Current Employee - Property Management and Key Training Professional in Houston, TX

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Limited supervision- most times you are working alone.
    Customer interaction- you can build great relationships/rapport.
    Trainer- train newly hired District Managers; compensation for training veteran and new hires.
    District Manager- respected and encouraged to do my best and learn.

Cons

New employees are hired in at a higher compensation than the tenured employees.
    Not able to waive a late fee without giving a full explanation and getting approval from upper management.

My advice to upper management is there are qualified and eager Trainers with in the company that are looking to earn the position of District Manager. With the rate the company is growing I feel it would beneficial to Public Storage to open the opportunity to the trainers that are responsible for training the new hired District Managers to possibly earn a Bench District Manager position. We are a great support team for District Managers.

Extremely low integrity at this company!

Former Employee - Relief Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Relief Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at Public Storage full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Daytime work schedule, completely independent work environment.

Cons

Unscrupulous business tactics, tenants units broken into daily, rigid scripts, low pay, schedule varies drastically, co-workers are catty backstabbers, no appreciation whatsoever. No security measures to protect employees, the office I worked in had bullet holes in the wall behind my head and I frequently had isolated encounters showing units to drug addicts and gang members who where off the hook.

A complete ethics overhaul.

Utter and sheer dissapointment

Current Employee - Property Manager
    Current Employee - Property Manager

I have been working at Public Storage

Pros

Decent hours, nice DM's, and some pretty cool customers. The company itself aims to please employees, but that is sadly overridden by the cons.

Cons

Where do I begin. I have been around this company for many years. Starting out, it was a great place to work. This company, about 6 years ago or so, truly cared for its employees and customers. The rapid decline began about 3 years ago or so. Here is what is wrong with this company. Your Regional Managers are DESTROYING this company. They FORCE property managers and relief managers to break company policy constantly. I do not think corporate has any idea what is going on, and if they do.. shut it down... just shut it down and hire robots before you continue to employ actual humans who can see straight through the BS we are shoved every single day. We are told to DO GOOGLE MAPS reviews IN OFFICE and type it on the customers phone. That is not only against google policy, but against policy for the company as well. We are forced TO PACKAGE lock insurance and merch merch merch... DM's are ADVISING PM's TO ADD IN MERCH WITHOUT CUSTOMER EVEN KNOWING!!! Do you know why corporate? Well to tell you, it is THEIR BONUS. They will do things the wrong way, break company policy LEFT AND RIGHT, and they take it out on us. We are ALL scared to say anything. And that is just scratching the surface. They wont fix anything, because their maintenance is a BONUS metric. We are told to TELL CUSTOMERS to bring flashlights to their units because the lighting is not a priority. I can go on and on and on.. .but IM telling you this is TERRIBLE.... You have many LONG TERM employees who are jetting because they are being treated terribly. All it is about is regional manager and DM bonus, they DO NOT CARE About pm's or reliefs.... Anyone who refers to the rules set by corporate is told that those are just guidelines and that they can do what they want. Let that sink in....

You need to really check out your Regionals and see the true fear they are instillling if they do not get their bonus checks. They are running everyone off, especially the hard working ones. Get rid of the Favorites game bonus, and start appreciating people who work hard, not just kiss butt and look good on paper. Oh and PROMOTE from within!!!!

It's ok.

I have been working at Public Storage

Pros

No late nights
    It's a simple job

Cons

No growth and the pay could be better

Invest in your property and relief managers

Ok if you want a stable job and don't want to work late nights.

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

On site apartments, you work no later than 6pm, you will never have to worry about company layoffs. Public Storage is debt free!!!

Cons

Too many unrealistic expectations from upper management. Could be a better company if they walked a mile in our shoes sometimes....

Try to reach out more to the little people!!! We are the drive train of this company!!!!

So far, ok experience

Current Employee - Relief Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Relief Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Coworkers are nice, depending on the location you work at, the customers are nice too.

Cons

Having to drive to multiple locations. Pay is not enough based on what you do.

Horrible company that doesn't care about customers or employees.

Former Employee - Relief Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Relief Manager in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Public Storage part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They were flexible with my school schedule and even allowed me to only work weekends. They kept my pay when I transferred from the Bay Area.

Cons

Lowest pay in the storage industry, constant pressure from management (including illegally selling insurance and doing whatever it takes to make the customer purchase it), no promotions unless it's to a property manager (you get a free apartment on site, but your pay drops to minimum wage), very small pay increases (I was there for four years in the Bay Area and went from $10.00 to $11.47 other parts of the country make much less.

Care about your employees and pay them more, give a crap about your customers because most of them don't deserve the way PS treats them. Also don't get frustrated with your employees when they need to take a medical leave.

Unfriendly!

Former Employee - Middle Management in Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Middle Management in Burbank, CA

I worked at Public Storage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Conveniently located to a train station. Benefits and salary for corp. employees are pretty good.

Cons

The CEO has his fingers all over this company. No decisions are made without him knowing the situation. Executives feel their skills are not utilized as a result. For any employee, beware of politics. Within my first week there, a mid-level manager came to my office and warned me himself to be careful; I learned from The Godfather, and stayed away from him too. But he was right; the corp. employees are not very friendly nor are they very nice. If you can just do your job and go home, you'll be fine.

Be ware too, that to take a holiday day off (e.g. 4th of July), you have to accumulate time like you would for a sick day or vacation day.

Let your executives do their jobs. Be better to your employees.

Would not recommend to anyone

Current Employee - Property Manager in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good working hours and that is about all I can say about the company. I have met some very wonderful people that have become lifelong friends.

Cons

Upper management has forgotten all about the employees. They are greedy, close minded and demanding. They put on a big front for those that do not know and pretend to care about everyone. They hire those that cannot do their jobs or just want a check. We have to lie to the customers with everything we say to them. I feel less human for we are told what to say, how to say it. One star is 10 stars too many on rating this company.

Worst company I've ever worked for.

Former Employee - Relief Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Relief Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Public Storage

Pros

Everyone in upper management at this company is a actor and liar. They lead you to believe this is a awesome company with a "family" culture, great benefits, and growth potential. Nothing could be further from the truth. Let's start with the job title - property or relief manager. A real manager makes decisions and has a paycheck that reflects this. At Public Storage they micromanage you, just about every outcome has been outlined already. If there is something that isn't covered don't think for yourself....call your District Manager if you want to keep your job. Relief managers start out making $9.50 (in Georgia) and with time might make as much as $12.
    The benefit of living in company sponsored housing sounds great but there is a catch. It's not completely free! If you live on site they lower your pay rate by a few dollars per hour. Sure, your rent is still inexpensive but now you are making almost minimum wage. Also when you separate from the company they expect you to move out in 48 hours which is added pressure on you mentally to do a awesome job.
    Growth potential is a joke because the ceiling is very low. As a relief manager you can become a property manager when a store becomes available. That's a .50 cent raise and a lot more responsibility, YEAH!. You may also be selected to be a new hire trainer or safety captain which pays about a dollar more each. Raises across the board are rare. The only way to make some real money ($70,000) is to be hired directly as a District Manager (or higher). This company does not promote from within which is the dumbest thing ever.
    The duties include 40+ collection calls a day, cleaning toilets, sweeping/mopping, unloading/counting inventory, pressuring customers to buy things they don't need, reading scripts word for word, and dealing with attitudes of your simple minded co-workers. The job functions alone (and individually) are not difficult however you will work alone 90% of the time and are expected to get everything done even though you can't leave the office for more than 15 minutes at a time. This job is a complete joke and a slave camp. I thought working for Walmart was bad but Public Storage takes the cake. All these "positive" reviews are fake and written by upper management. They likely check this site often and write great things to push down the negative feedback.

Cons

The benefits are decent. Medical coverage and you accumulate Personal Time Off.

If you have a soul, leave and do something else. Have some values, character, and integrity. If you're a good person there is no reason why you should be working for Public Storage.