Public Storage

Public Storage Reviews

Updated November 19, 2014
Updated November 19, 2014
2.8

Public Storage Vice Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman, President, and CEO, PS Business Parks Ronald L. Havner Jr.
Ronald L. Havner Jr.

Pros
  • So you have a good work/life balance if you have things to get taken care of after 6pm (in 13 reviews)

• Working alone and having office/steady hours are about it (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Being a property manager is a difficult task with a lot of responsibility (in 67 reviews)

• Not once has any upper management ever looked at my goal board (in 47 reviews)

More Highlights

Public Storage is a good company to work for. I've been here a year and its a very good company. Its a independent stress free environment.

Current Employee - Resident Relief Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Resident Relief Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Public storage is a Independent stress free environment. It Makes you feel like you are at home and living on property is a big help too!

Cons

There aren't many challenges here at public storage. if you do all your work in a timely fashion and meet your numbers! Customers will be customers where ever you are at but customer service skills is where you will win!

Ive wasted 4 years for this?

Current Employee - Relief Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Relief Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Hours are from 9:30-6pm m-f, 9:30-5pm on weekends so that could be a benefit depending on your personal preference.
    Most managers, under the district manager are all generally nice from my experience.
    Apartments are available to employees that need a place to stay. Will have to take a pay cut.

Cons

The management style.

Upper management sucks-- all the way to the CEO. They constantly change policies and scripts used to rent units to customers

You feel pressured into forcing customer to buy overpriced merchandise.
    And then you are "called out" by management when a customer doesn't purchase anything from you.

Inconsistency within the company. For example, The call center will tell the customer it is $23 to rent a space and that is all the customer will need, then the customer will come in with only $23 and we are expected to sell the customer an overpriced lock and then insurance and then sell merchandise to them,.Which makes no sense.

No growth. The highest position a relief/property manager can go is KTP, which is a management trainer and they only get paid $1 extra to do that task, So a relief manager can not move up and become a district manager. You would have to quit and then get rehired as a District manager.

Finally, the bonus. The bonus plan changes every year and they add more and more variables to make it difficult for managers to get a bonus.

KEEP IT SIMPLE!
    Send one message to the customers. If you want them to purchase merchandise, lower the prices to match the competitions prices. Do not tell customers that its only $23 when we know they also need to secure their spaces. Or if you don't want to require customer to purchase public storage specific items, then stop holding employees accountable if a customer doesn't buy from us. Actually show your employees you care about them, rather than consistently worrying about "numbers" or scripts. I thought this was customer service, not an audition to be an actor.

You Can't Grow

Current Employee - Relief Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Relief Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Store hours are consistent
    (certain) property apartments
    gas reimbersement
    laid back environment

Cons

no room for growth
    district managers and above benefit from your hard work
    internal drama between workers at other properties
    pay is horrible

I don't understand how relief and property managers aren't able to be promoted to district managers when they have been with the company the longest compared to most if not all district managers that float through. Promote within, and you wouldn't have so many issues. And stop being so cheap. For a company making billions of dollars yearly, the pay really sucks.

Not for long term

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Opportunity to gain different useful skills. If just starting out this is a good place. Gives some management qualities, as well as team building when available. No late nights/early morning...but EVERY weekend

Cons

Scripted...scripted...scripted. Everything here is a script and if it is not done correctly it all effects "bonus" potential. The salary is ridiculous and the opportunity for growth is worse. There is not growth past property manager, which does not come with a pay increase...go figure.

Better pay, more opportunity and better benefits.

Public Storage a great work place

Current Employee - Property Tax Analyst in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Property Tax Analyst in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Company has a friendly atmosphere. Policy is what is expected in a large corporation and pay is competitive. People is what makes this a great place to work. Working more than 25 years is a testament to its great leadership and management.

Cons

Help with transportation subsidy for carpooling and public transportation would be welcomed if the program was restored.

Good company if you have initiative and are a long term contributer

Current Employee - Middlle Management in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Middlle Management in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fellow employees in the corporate office are easy work with and the enviorment is gennerally low key. If you show initiative, a good work ethic and common sense the company can be very rewarding both financially as well as in terms of job/career satisfaction.

Cons

Depending on your position the balance between work and personal time can get a bit lopsided. However in the context of what can be expected in any company these days, its probably just normal.

Possibly extending out the RSU program in possibly a small way to a few key lower salaried and hourly personnel. It would build both loyalty and help those who plan to dedicate themselves to the company plan for thier latter years.

Great Company!

Current Employee - Middle Management in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Middle Management in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Public Storage is a great stable company to work for. Having been here for over 11 years I am happy to have found a company that values it's employees and their contributions. I love the fact that there are so many employees here who have been with the company for a long time. I know many who have been here over 15 years and several who have been here 20+ years. That is a sign of a good company to work for!

Cons

Sure compensation could be better or benefits could be greater, but it is competitive with other companies. You get what you put in to the company and your job. Do well and be rewarded. Doing your job and doing it well is expected. If you take pride in what you do then this is the place for you.

Management has been doing a great job. Public Storage is a stable company with a great business model. I am proud to be a part of Public Storage.

District Manager. 2 years

I have been working at Public Storage

Pros

I love the people I work with. It's great working for a company that is an industry leader and you know is not going anywhere. I feel like I am well compensated for what I do.

Cons

The has been has been very successful with its business model but there is definitely some opportunities when it comes to property maintenance. We do spend a lot of time doing our own repairs and maintenance around the property.

Currently employed for over 7 years now...

Current Employee - Property Manager/KTP in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Property Manager/KTP in Reno, NV

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This company offers great training programs and on the job experience in management, retail, and sales. All members of management and corporate level employees really care about each other's safety and overall job satisfaction throughout the company by offering great benefits, bonus programs, incentives, and opportunities to advance within the company.

Cons

Challenges that can arise during a work day involve customer service issues or complaints. This company is all about customer happiness and satisfaction that upper management is always available to assist if help is needed in resolving issues.

I have no bad words..this company has been good to me

Current Employee - Property Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have had a few different DM's and each one has different personalities but I was treated with respect. This is a sales position and that is what should be focused on. When your hired to do a job if you don't like it then you should find something else no matter where you are working. It's nice to be out at 6 and 5 on the weekends. No long retail nights!!

Cons

Sometimes it may be difficult when you are working by yourself, that's when it seems the most people come in. The only other thing is that we should be off a few more holidays

None at this time, I'm happy with my position