Public Storage

Public Storage Reviews

Updated December 16, 2014
Updated December 16, 2014
2.9

Public Storage Vice Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman, President, and CEO, PS Business Parks Ronald L. Havner Jr.
Ronald L. Havner Jr.

Pros
  • So you have a good work/life balance if you have things to get taken care of after 6pm (in 14 reviews)

• There are many oppurtunity to move up after the District Manager level (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Being a property manager is a difficult task with a lot of responsibility (in 70 reviews)

• Not once has any upper management ever looked at my goal board (in 49 reviews)

More Highlights

Ive wasted 4 years for this?

Current Employee - Relief Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Relief Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Hours are from 9:30-6pm m-f, 9:30-5pm on weekends so that could be a benefit depending on your personal preference.
    Most managers, under the district manager are all generally nice from my experience.
    Apartments are available to employees that need a place to stay. Will have to take a pay cut.

Cons

The management style.

Upper management sucks-- all the way to the CEO. They constantly change policies and scripts used to rent units to customers

You feel pressured into forcing customer to buy overpriced merchandise.
    And then you are "called out" by management when a customer doesn't purchase anything from you.

Inconsistency within the company. For example, The call center will tell the customer it is $23 to rent a space and that is all the customer will need, then the customer will come in with only $23 and we are expected to sell the customer an overpriced lock and then insurance and then sell merchandise to them,.Which makes no sense.

No growth. The highest position a relief/property manager can go is KTP, which is a management trainer and they only get paid $1 extra to do that task, So a relief manager can not move up and become a district manager. You would have to quit and then get rehired as a District manager.

Finally, the bonus. The bonus plan changes every year and they add more and more variables to make it difficult for managers to get a bonus.

KEEP IT SIMPLE!
    Send one message to the customers. If you want them to purchase merchandise, lower the prices to match the competitions prices. Do not tell customers that its only $23 when we know they also need to secure their spaces. Or if you don't want to require customer to purchase public storage specific items, then stop holding employees accountable if a customer doesn't buy from us. Actually show your employees you care about them, rather than consistently worrying about "numbers" or scripts. I thought this was customer service, not an audition to be an actor.

There should be a Negative option for Stars to describe my opinion of this employer....

Former Employee - Property Manager/KTP in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Property Manager/KTP in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Public Storage

Pros

I worked with the company for nearly a decade. There was a time when I enjoyed this job. I always enjoyed my clients, and enjoyed my coworkers. It was good to work both inside and outside daily.

Cons

I see many results that say not bad pay for an easy job. Those reviews come from the obscene number of employees who have been hired as body's, that don't work. At ALL. Upper management will hire anybody, you need only apply and show up. For that matter, once hired, if you don't feel like showing up its OK, someone who's more dedicated than you, will cover for you, and you will not be reprimanded, despite how overworked the teammate was who covered for you. THE DEDICATED STAFF ARE TAKEN FOR GRANTED, & OFTEN SKIPPED IN REWARDS. They blatantly disregard unscrupulous behaviors and in fact encourage them. Nothing matters but the metrics. Pay is to low for the heavy workload both physical and mentally. Favoritism is used to disperse bonuses and awards. While fear is used to push employees to preform and remain loyal.... So much truth stands to what I've stated that the name Public Storage alone being sited on my resume often sparked negative conversation in interviews and frequently added to the reason for my not being hired.

Invest in some morals. Invest in your field, both the employees and the facilities. Clean house on upper management, wipe the slate clean and try ethical practice in how you do business. You have lost and continue to lose valuable staff that slip through the cracks without so much as a "Good Luck" to see them off.

Property Manager, South Carolina

Current Employee - Property Manager
    Current Employee - Property Manager

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The team of people that I work with in the district that I am in are great. We are team players, and when another property needs help there is always someone stepping up to the plate to help. And of course it helps that we have the greatest District Manager that there is. Working with the public you do meet lots of different people, so it is very important to be a people person. Constantly being recognized for doing a good job.

Cons

Explaining a rent increase to customers. It presents a challenge, but it helps me grow professionally.

Great Company

Current Employee - Property Manager in Roanoke, VA
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Roanoke, VA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working at PS gives you, steady hours, the work is not hard but is challenging. If you love customer service you will love this job. The company is stable, my District Manager is great and the Senior District Manager is awesome as well. Raises, bonuses, PTO time, and two days off per week. I love my job.

Cons

Property and Relief mangers should be paid a higher per hour wage. Growth potential after becoming a PM is zero. So pay incentive is a must.

I think communication with employees is key. Good property managers know their market, need to mix it up with pricing models. Let your PMs inform you about what other storage companies are doing in their area to out price us. Pay incentives are key to keeping good people.

They don't value their employees

I have been working at Public Storage

Pros

Stable company with lots of cash flow but they don't share that with front line employees

Cons

They pay terribly but expect perfection. The upper management has no respect for front line employees

Pay more to hire employees that have the skill set you demand

Looks Great....but rotten on the inside

Former Employee - Property Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Property Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Public Storage full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The hiring process is simple and fast. Company offers good medical coverage, direct deposit, PTO time, and housing. Pay rate in Atlanta is $9.50 with an increase to $10 after 6 month.

Cons

The workload on a normal day is enough for 2 people yet you work alone most of the time.
    Job duties include everything from cleaning toilets, mopping, and changing light bulbs. They only allow you out of the office for 15 minutes at a time to do these duties and they hound you if you miss a call while out.
    Never will you have the same 2 days off and expect to work most weekends and all Holidays.
    Will be scheduled to work at locations far from your home with no extra pay.
    Lazy employees dump work on new employees and are quick to snitch if you make a minor mistake.
    The apartment they give you sounds nice but they severely cut your pay if you accept it.
    Constant pressure from manager to sell overpriced merchandise and insurance that most customers don't want.
    They have auditors, secret shoppers, and listen to calls to make sure you are their robot.

None. Greed is the way of the world now. Enjoy your continued financial success and may your soul rot in hell.

Corporate employee: 2 1/2 years. Industry leader, sucessful, lean & stable company.

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My experience working at the corporate office has been one of the best thus far in my 10 year working career. For a large publically traded-company, the enviroment is warm, friendly & family-like. The turnover is very low turnover as most of my colleages have been here for decades and are extremely knowledgeable and helpful. My department's processes are efficient and well-organized. Company culture promotes work-life balance, fairly compensates and provides plenty of opportunities to grow & advance.

Cons

Don't have any complaints thus far.

Public Storage Response

Nov 21, 2014HR

Thank you.

Great career move to a strong, stable and expanding publicly traded company. Top management team, talented colleagues.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Super smart and good-humored people at the top and throughout all levels of the organization. Employees are diverse, talented, dedicated and have a fun spirit. There are many long-term employees, some "bleed orange." Work is always interesting with new challenges every day. The company is forward-thinking and serioulsy plans for the future, striking a balance of high growth without high-risk. Fiscal policies are conservative with very little debt. The company culture is "be respectful to others" and feel free to laugh at yourself and make others laugh along the way. The company is very careful in the hiring process to make sure new hires are a good fit. The company spends a lot of money to hire and retain top talent. Corporate offices are at good location for easy commute from many directions. I work on a great team with a great boss and definitely recommend the company to others!

Cons

No challenges or gripes you wouldn't find in any organization. Some employees feel that communication needs to be improved. This probably varies from department to department, and between corporate and the field. It's a rapidly growing environment and hard to keep up with it all. Need to pursue your own path to success and personal growth. Slackers need not apply.

Continue to invest in a challenged, motivated and satisfied workforce. They will carry you to success on each of their backs.

Degrading

Current Employee - Corporate in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you like being made to feel like you're nothing than PS is the place for you.

Cons

Making less money then when you were a teenager.
    NO sick time, you have to use 5 vacation days then on the 6th day your sick time well kick in.
    2% or less yearly raise.
    Medical insurance costs have literally doubled.
    Vacation time has been cut.
    Managers treat you like you like the garbage stored in their facilities.
    Managers make it known that hourly employees are clearly beneath them.
    Managers are proud to take credit for the hard work of others.
    Employee turn over is huge due to the horrible lack of respect.

Treat others the way you demand to be treated. Perhaps try giving a little more in all aspects, this is a multi billion dollar company and employees are barely getting by but yet the executives get thousands to millions in yearly bonuses yet all others get a measly $500.

Public Storage is a good company to work for. I've been here a year and its a very good company. Its a independent stress free environment.

Current Employee - Resident Relief Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Resident Relief Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Public storage is a Independent stress free environment. It Makes you feel like you are at home and living on property is a big help too!

Cons

There aren't many challenges here at public storage. if you do all your work in a timely fashion and meet your numbers! Customers will be customers where ever you are at but customer service skills is where you will win!