Public Storage Reviews

Updated March 25, 2015
393 reviews filtered by

No opportunity for lateral movement past the Trainer position.

Current Employee - Property Management and Key Training Professional in Houston, TX

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Limited supervision- most times you are working alone.
    Customer interaction- you can build great relationships/rapport.
    Trainer- train newly hired District Managers; compensation for training veteran and new hires.
    District Manager- respected and encouraged to do my best and learn.

Cons

New employees are hired in at a higher compensation than the tenured employees.
    Not able to waive a late fee without giving a full explanation and getting approval from upper management.

My advice to upper management is there are qualified and eager Trainers with in the company that are looking to earn the position of District Manager. With the rate the company is growing I feel it would beneficial to Public Storage to open the opportunity to the trainers that are responsible for training the new hired District Managers to possibly earn a Bench District Manager position. We are a great support team for District Managers.

Property Manager.

I worked at Public Storage full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's a job, if your goal is to live at your job this is a job for you.

Cons

Working 9-6 daily, Always short staff, Drills sales down your throat,NO RAISES!!, you actually get paid least as a property manager.. No room for growth, Does not support employees in school. Bonus program is a no go!

Give field employees raises! They are the face of this company. Nobody truly enjoys working for you guys. You could care least about your employees or customers for that matter!

It's ok.

I have been working at Public Storage

Pros

No late nights
    It's a simple job

Cons

No growth and the pay could be better

Invest in your property and relief managers

Started great.. Ended horribly.

Former Employee - Relief Manager
    Former Employee - Relief Manager

I worked at Public Storage full-time

Pros

As a relief manager, I travel around a lot. Was offered a PM job several times but declined because I like going to different properties. At first I liked it. I was able to get the numbers but as time went on I realized this company is very unethical..

Cons

Where do I even start?! Let's start with the buildings I guess. Horrible. Constantly leaking, nothing ever gets fixed, I had to always lie to customers and tell them "oh it'll get fixed soon" and send out an email to the DM who would never reply anyway. I was forced into selling locks and insurance, which everyone agrees is uncomfortable and I always get customers who always denied/argued about it. Google reviews.. If I hear those words one more time I'll lose it. The rent raises so much, how is that even morally okay?! And guess who gets to deal with it? Us. The managers. While upper management sits on their butts in their comfy chairs, I get things thrown at me, threatened and verbally abused by entitled customers. Even if they're loyal and always pay on time, corporate won't lower their rate and just tells them to "move units". Ohhhh and the cameras don't even work! None of the properties I've ever worked at has working cameras. It's sad, really. There's black mold in some of the offices and it makes me sick. No one cleans it even though I've reported it many times. It's in the AC unit as well which blows on me all day.
    It's a good temporary job I suppose.

Our best days are ahead of us. A great place to work.

Current Employee - Middle Management in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Middle Management in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I wanted to comment on Public Storage and provide some thoughts as my outlook is very positive. When I am interviewing prospective candidates, a question that I am regularly asked without fail is “What do I like most about the company?” My reply is always the people I work with. Full disclosure, I am in a management position, but whether it’s the property personnel I interact with, DMs, Regional Managers, Corporate Execs or Support, there is a common trait within our organization, and that is we pride ourselves on hard work. Public Storage fosters a strong culture of teamwork and a palpable desire to provide support to each other, at all levels within the organization. For those that are willing to learn, remain challenged and bring their best selves to work each day will do very well here.
    Furthermore, Public Storage is a company that is growing, and that makes this an incredibly dynamic place to work. With strong leadership, very little debt, a keen desire to grow intelligently coupled with the enviable position of the market leader – for all these reasons and more, it reinforces my decision to be here.
    The opportunities are present for hourly employees to take on more challenging roles as well; agreeable full-time hours allow for the opportunity to go to school and a high quality of life; and on-site apartments allow living accommodations in desirable markets. For District Managers, with our incredible growth, comes the opportunity to move into higher-level positions with increased responsibility. In short, Public Storage presents a very dynamic environment that will reward those who are willing to learn and put in the time and effort.
    Are we perfect? No. But few organizations are. Is it a place work making a living or building a career? Absolutely.

Cons

We are growing and with change comes discomfort at times. But the fact that we are willing to look at how we operate and reassess our business, this I view as very positive. A stable, veteran CEO, a dynamic COO, excellent Executive Leaders, a thoughtful HR team, plus a workforce that is for the most part highly engaged, all help to keep our company pointed in the right direction.

Continue to act with integrity and continue to foster the development of people at all levels.

Very little pay for allot of dirty work.

I worked at Public Storage

Pros

Hours were good no nights.

Cons

Working alone to many tasks to do.

Pay rate to low for what is expected.

8. So far, ok experience

Current Employee - Relief Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Relief Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are nice, depending on the location you work at, the customers are nice too.

Cons

Having to drive to multiple locations. Pay is not enough based on what you do.

Dead end job

Former Employee - Relief Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Relief Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Public Storage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Money, however little you actually see...

Cons

Same low life delinquent clients to deal with every month, always cussing at you and fighting with you about having to pay their bill. Being forced by the company to push worthless storage insurance which half the time will not pay out to the customers for legit claims. Low pay. And quite literally no way to advance.

Reform this company from the ground up.

District manager preview

Current Employee - District Manager in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - District Manager in Miami, FL

I have been working at Public Storage

Pros

Great profits for shareholders knows how to get big dollars in sales from non commissioned sales people. Very profitable company

Cons

Dm role is 5 different jobs at least no support from leaders or field support. The facilities support is not available. There is no work life balance

Need to break down the country into geographic regions company is to large to have everything done from Glendale ,CA if each division had its own support team.there would be increased efficient process reduction in time to respond.Instead they have the DM'S do all of it and get to spend no time doing sales coaching. If there was field support teams sales would increase dramatically. As it is set up now DM never get caught up even when. Organizing to the max. Change/ force old regional/ long-term regional to understand there is new ways to do things and coach people. That employees in the front lines are people and you should know who your people are by name it is what being a leader is about. You should not act fake or like you are better than them.

Poor Ethical Environment

I worked at Public Storage full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Stable work hours, if your manager does not call you at home to "prepare" you for upper management upcoming visit.

Cons

Public Storage is unethical from the top of the structure, this trickles down and creates a hostile environment. The only value in this business structure is profit. Stakeholders are given no consideration in the decision process.

Educate yourselves in business ethics, everyone including those at the top. This will improve employee retention, customer satisfaction and prove to better your reputation.