Public Storage

www.publicstorage.com

Public Storage is a great place to work, IMO.

Current Employee - Relief Manager in Whitehall, PA
    Current Employee - Relief Manager in Whitehall, PA

I have been working at Public Storage

Pros

Ive been working for public storage for some time now, and i cant say i relate to the reviews im seeing on here. From the beginning, the SDM who hired me has been very confident in my abilities. He has shown me much encouragement & continously gives me props for what i do. My DM is absolutely phenomenal. He listens to my every need and responds to every text message and call almost immediately. He also gives me a sense of security, he lets me know hes here for me and hes got my back. I dont know if its the region im in, but in my district we work as a team. I couldnt be happier. For those complaining about numbers and scripts, we are SALES people. Of course theyre going to expect good numbers from us!

Cons

Having to work every weekend lol , but of course you know this will be required from the moment you are interviewed. If youre going to complain about it, just dont take the job.

Reward the SDMs and DMs who actually try to work with their team as a family. They are also put under much pressure. Employees should be able to review their managers so you can see past the numbers.

Utter and sheer dissapointment

Current Employee - Property Manager
    Current Employee - Property Manager

I have been working at Public Storage

Pros

Decent hours, nice DM's, and some pretty cool customers. The company itself aims to please employees, but that is sadly overridden by the cons.

Cons

Where do I begin. I have been around this company for many years. Starting out, it was a great place to work. This company, about 6 years ago or so, truly cared for its employees and customers. The rapid decline began about 3 years ago or so. Here is what is wrong with this company. Your Regional Managers are DESTROYING this company. They FORCE property managers and relief managers to break company policy constantly. I do not think corporate has any idea what is going on, and if they do.. shut it down... just shut it down and hire robots before you continue to employ actual humans who can see straight through the BS we are shoved every single day. We are told to DO GOOGLE MAPS reviews IN OFFICE and type it on the customers phone. That is not only against google policy, but against policy for the company as well. We are forced TO PACKAGE lock insurance and merch merch merch... DM's are ADVISING PM's TO ADD IN MERCH WITHOUT CUSTOMER EVEN KNOWING!!! Do you know why corporate? Well to tell you, it is THEIR BONUS. They will do things the wrong way, break company policy LEFT AND RIGHT, and they take it out on us. We are ALL scared to say anything. And that is just scratching the surface. They wont fix anything, because their maintenance is a BONUS metric. We are told to TELL CUSTOMERS to bring flashlights to their units because the lighting is not a priority. I can go on and on and on.. .but IM telling you this is TERRIBLE.... You have many LONG TERM employees who are jetting because they are being treated terribly. All it is about is regional manager and DM bonus, they DO NOT CARE About pm's or reliefs.... Anyone who refers to the rules set by corporate is told that those are just guidelines and that they can do what they want. Let that sink in....

You need to really check out your Regionals and see the true fear they are instillling if they do not get their bonus checks. They are running everyone off, especially the hard working ones. Get rid of the Favorites game bonus, and start appreciating people who work hard, not just kiss butt and look good on paper. Oh and PROMOTE from within!!!!

Public Storage Response

Feb 5, 2015HR

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We value each of our employees and are proud to have many team members with significant tenure with Public Storage.
    We do encourage customers
    ... More

Extremely low integrity at this company!

Former Employee - Relief Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Relief Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at Public Storage full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Daytime work schedule, completely independent work environment.

Cons

Unscrupulous business tactics, tenants units broken into daily, rigid scripts, low pay, schedule varies drastically, co-workers are catty backstabbers, no appreciation whatsoever. No security measures to protect employees, the office I worked in had bullet holes in the wall behind my head and I frequently had isolated encounters showing units to drug addicts and gang members who where off the hook.

A complete ethics overhaul.

Would not recommend to anyone

Current Employee - Property Manager in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good working hours and that is about all I can say about the company. I have met some very wonderful people that have become lifelong friends.

Cons

Upper management has forgotten all about the employees. They are greedy, close minded and demanding. They put on a big front for those that do not know and pretend to care about everyone. They hire those that cannot do their jobs or just want a check. We have to lie to the customers with everything we say to them. I feel less human for we are told what to say, how to say it. One star is 10 stars too many on rating this company.

My Second Home

Current Employee - Manager- Corporate
    Current Employee - Manager- Corporate

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Being a part of a dynamic company who is the leader in the industry gives me an incentive to want to contribute my best effort and do my share to tackle the chalenges to not only become number one in the industry but to stay number one. Been with the company over 22 years and created friendships that are dear to me which I would not replace for anything else. This is my second home and its leadership inspires me to perform at work the same way I would perform for my own business.

Cons

Field employees often change and when turnover occurs and you are dependant on information support, you'll have to find a way to obtain it regardless.

More training to new hires to learn and understand company policies and procedures.

No Way

Former Employee - District Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - District Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Public Storage

Pros

Flexible schedule. I can't think of any other pros.

Cons

Micro managing boss, cheap company who brags about cash on hand constantly.

Don't micro manage.

Very decent employment...

Current Employee - Property Manager/KTP
    Current Employee - Property Manager/KTP

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

We have a very supportive District Manager who works hard to help us with anything we need. Our district works well as a team and we have fun while working hard. They offer contests and other incentives on a regular basis for a little extra money in our pockets. They coach from a positive perspective. Nobody gets yelled at or embarrassed by management. We work independently and are not 'baby-sat'. We are trusted to run our stores and do the job. I always have plenty of PTO time to use and our DM does his very best to accommodate our needs. Not one person was 'let go' when the economy 'tanked' a few years ago. We all kept our 40 hours. If you don't like to work hard, this is not the job for you. Sometimes a lot is expected of us, but that works well for me. Some of the sites offer company apartments with paid utilities, which has saved me a great deal of money in living expenses over the years.

Cons

I don't have too many complaints about the job, except for the extensive paper-trail we are required to keep; and getting 'called in' like in other typical retail environments when people don't show for their shifts. I have never been pressured or required to do this, though. There can be a heavy work-load at times, so if you are looking to 'ride the clock', this is not the job for you. All-in-all, very solid job. I am grateful to the company for the opportunities they have given me during my employment here.

Some of the very young employees lack the maturity to handle the responsibility of the single-staffed environment that applies to many of the stores. They seem to be hiring super-young staff lately and we are getting a lot of call-outs where the rest of us have to pick up the slack. Perhaps they should hire a little older or find a way to better-evaluate the maturity level of prospective employees? Just a thought.

Horrible company that doesn't care about customers or employees.

Former Employee - Relief Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Relief Manager in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Public Storage part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They were flexible with my school schedule and even allowed me to only work weekends. They kept my pay when I transferred from the Bay Area.

Cons

Lowest pay in the storage industry, constant pressure from management (including illegally selling insurance and doing whatever it takes to make the customer purchase it), no promotions unless it's to a property manager (you get a free apartment on site, but your pay drops to minimum wage), very small pay increases (I was there for four years in the Bay Area and went from $10.00 to $11.47 other parts of the country make much less.

Care about your employees and pay them more, give a crap about your customers because most of them don't deserve the way PS treats them. Also don't get frustrated with your employees when they need to take a medical leave.

Family & Friends

Current Employee - Property Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Number 1 leading company in storage. Been with company about 3 years and have made some great friends in customers and co-workers. I am very fortunate to have a Awesome DM that goes that extra mile for each and every property manager and relief manger. Just with a simple thank you goes a long way. It's amazing when the little things we do everyday and you think goes un noticed you are rewarded with a all expense trip to California, for a week and a award ceremony were you are presented with the Circle of Excellence. So just when you think you are not noticed, you are.

Cons

When items need fixed to have them taken care of in a timely manner.

Don't forget to take care of the ones that are in the field.

Great company to work for.

I have been working at Public Storage

Pros

Business generates lots of cash for growth and justifies high stock price.
    Management team always seeking to improve

Cons

Not in a flashy business of renting storage units
    Sometimes not thought of as a leading edge company but it is the leader in the industry.

Keep doing what has worked since 1972 but mindful of the competition.