Public Storage

www.publicstorage.com

Public Storage Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Public Storage Vice Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman, President, and CEO, PS Business Parks Ronald L. Havner Jr.

Ronald L. Havner Jr.

Pros
  • So you have a good work/life balance if you have things to get taken care of after 6pm (in 12 reviews)

• Working alone and having office/steady hours are about it (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Being a property manager is a difficult task with a lot of responsibility (in 65 reviews)

• All upper management is hired from outside the company and are trained by (in 45 reviews)

More Highlights

It was always stressful, but I was still loyal to them

On Site Property Manager (Former Employee) Tempe, AZ

ProsWorking with 98% of the customers were great they are the reason I stayed there to be a positive for the customers

ConsPublic Storage cares nothing about the employees or the customers, it's about the all mighty dollar, very poor leadership the DM's not (not all) but most don't want you to bother them at all benefits steadily decreased over the years instead of increasing. Time off was given out not by seniority but by favoritism new people were coming in getting time off when the vet time was due to expire.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management needs to to with employees more an you really need to know what your DM's and RM's are doing to employees, no one speaks out due to fear of retaliation. I can tell you some stories out of 16 years there.

An nihilistic business model.

Property Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe job is not going anywhere; being relieved of your position almost takes effort. There's a flat demand curve. When the economy is good, people need storage to move to their new jobs or remodel their homes. When it's lousy, the folks being evicted need somewhere to put things. The hours are short and largely in keeping with a standard business window, so mornings are not too early and you still have an evening. If you show up wearing pants and sober enough to walk, the job is yours.

ConsThe pay is atrocious. I left because, by company policy, staff cannot be promoted above the Property Manager level. District Managers and above are recruited entirely from outside the company. Corporate manipulates the bonus structure to create a cascading series of pay cuts directed primarily at the highest-performing members of the ground crew. Being advanced to Property Manager from Relief Manager does not involve a raise; you are volunteered to be on call and you are given added restrictions to your schedule by accepting this position. The sales and marketing aspect of the business is clearly designed on the assumption that the company is hiring anyone with a heartbeat (sales scripting is mandatory is clearly written at about the third-grade level). District Managers are under such perpetual scrutiny that the management climate forces an antagonistic approach; the best DMs I worked with quit or got fired for, essentially, failure to demonstrate that the rank-and-file were being properly micromanaged into complete despair. The entry-level position with Public Storage is only suitable if you are otherwise unemployed or if you have never had a job and want to be able to put "manager" on your resume.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is such a thing as a goodwill account. As the executive arm of the enterprise, your primary duty is to the shareholders. I understand that it is genuinely unethical for you to harm the business, even if you are doing so in the name of helping the employees. As expected standards of living rise, and as social media take an increasingly-prominent role in the marketing world, thriving on a high employee churn rate will end up doing at least enough damage to counter the benefits of a lower payroll budget. Moreover, if the pay/opportunity is not enough to encourage staff retention and at least some minimal level of proprietary interest in the well-being of the company, properties will physically deteriorate at an unhealthy rate, regulatory issues will fly under the radar until inspection day, and both rentals and occupancy will suffer. The on-site staff are just barely motivated enough to come punch in.

This company asked me to write a good review to raise their approval rating.

New DM (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsGreat Salary for DM's and above
    Some of the people you work with are very nice, but only some.
    I cannot come up with any more Pros.

ConsProperty managers are paid poverty wages
    Around 20 scripts that have to be memorized word for word
    HR asked several new DM's to write reviews to raise the approval rating. That in itself is just poor.
    Leadership is just awful and they lie, cheat and steal and yet you cannot say a thing or you will lose your job.
    Gossip is out of control.
    This company lacks integrity all the way through the CEO

Advice to Senior ManagementStop lying to your field
    Stop saying you puke cash and pay your filed team 9.50.
    Evaluate your DM's, RM's and your Divisional's. They are hiding the truth to protect them self.
    Stop the turnover, it is ridiculous.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My time at Public Storage

Relief Manager (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsIf you like to multi-task this would be a good fit. Good learning environment for a young person who still lives with his parents and going to school.

ConsOver my six years with PS I have seen many tactics that are not consumer friendly. Trying to get people to buy two locks if the door has that type of hasp and of course insurance. The employees have a lot of pressure put on them to sell the insurance, including management. The insurance PS offers has the lowest claim pay out in the industry. PS does have a bonus-incentive plan that has changed over the past few years to the degree that only 60% of the property people are eligible and of course the performance levels are raised every year so if you can't get 85% insurance sales how are you going to get 87%. The vacation time has also changed, many companies have a limit to the hours you can accrue, but PS come November will cash out your hours in excess of 40 hours with the fraise "Just In Time For The Holiday's". No kidding. The pay is low for the demands of the job and their is no opportunity for advancement from the property level. That would be the definition of a dead end job.

Advice to Senior ManagementTheir is no need to offer anything here Ron Havner the chairman of the board and ceo has no regard for the people working the properties and if he can squeeze a nickel from them he will to satisfy the share holders.

Relief Manager

Relief Manager (Current Employee)

ProsBankers Hours. Steady Pay. The rest is just horrible.

ConsThe company does not recognize your talents or skill you bring. All they care about is finding people to the job. They want people to do the job and not think just follow. No creativity, lack of motivation. It's all about sell, sell & sell at any means necessary. The scripts are junk, Written by people who have never worked the shift. It's a numbers game. No real way to grow with this company unless you are a DM. Which I think is very wrong. We don't get paid enough. Hourly is a joke. They are taking advantage of the current economic situation to squeeze more work out of you. We do rentals, building maintenance. Even janitorial service. Also no ability to take a decent vacation.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to your field personal. If it's not for them you would not be where you are right now. Stop posting pictures of your fancy Hawaiian vacation every December.

Public Storage - Market Leader in Burbank

Clerical Staff (Former Employee) Burbank, CA

ProsIt's great to work for the establisshed leader in the space

ConsNot much innovation and things move slowly

Advice to Senior Managementnothing that comes to mind

Many Growth Opportunities

Human Resources (Current Employee) Burbank, CA

ProsPublic Storage provides a great Work/Life balance, with offerings in benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision, supplemental insurance, and more), 401k with company match, PTO, sick leave, bereavement and bonus opportunities. The management team helps find ways for their employees to grow within the Company and their careers.

ConsI do not have any cons to mention.

Corporate Greed

Relief Manager (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsIt's full time, and the health benefits are decent

ConsFirst of all, P.S. pays below the market average for a similar position. (9.50 to start, which is ridiculous) I was told during my interview ,"Good luck finding a better opportunity with your skill set." I should have seen that as a red flag, but was desperate for work at the time. This company is all about the money, and it's business practices are downright despicable. I was expected to lie to meet unobtainable sales goals, and beg customers to give me five star reviews on yelp/google. And if one didn't get enough reviews, you bet you're going to get a talkin' to. (I'm pretty sure most of the five star reviews on G.D. for this company are lies) Eventually employees just started faking these reviews online to get the DM's/RM's off our backs. I felt unsafe working alone, and have been threatened on multiple occasions by intoxicated customers. One guy threatened to kill me. If you want to work here you better be comfortable using scripts for every potential customer encounter, which made me personally feel like some corporate stooge, idiot robot. Working there was very stressful, and not worth the near poverty wages the company deems as sufficient compensation.
    I could go on and on about the unethical practices I witnessed everyday, but I won't. I'm just glad I'm out over there and this chapter of my life is closed.

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate needs to re evaluate their business model. Just because what you're doing is legal (ish), does not make it ethical. And stop treating your employees like idiots.

Lots of work, little recognition or compensation

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsStable company with continued growth despite treating customers and employees poorly. They say they run thin, actually they run dumb.

ConsLittle to no increases. An environment of no values except the almighty dollar coming before employees on every level except the very top.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay employees what they are worth. The top 1% are not the only employees bringing value to the company. Stop ruining like you are going bankrupt tomorrow. Give back to employees once in awhile!

Large storage unit, inside, temperature controlled.

ProsChuck, the manager, which almost all of my connection was with is a GOD SEND! Gracious, kind, patient, understanding, personable and above and beyond the call of duty regarding integrity. Yesterday, I came in with multiple problems and he found ways to resolve and continue to help me out. Public Storage couldn't do better with this employee!!!

ConsCostly, but standard for the storage unit needed.
    It is tough on the budget.

Worked for Public Storage? Contribute to the Community!