Public Storage

Public Storage Reviews

Updated December 17, 2014
Updated December 17, 2014
2.9

Public Storage Vice Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman, President, and CEO, PS Business Parks Ronald L. Havner Jr.
Ronald L. Havner Jr.

Pros
  • So you have a good work/life balance if you have things to get taken care of after 6pm (in 14 reviews)

• There are many oppurtunity to move up after the District Manager level (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Being a property manager is a difficult task with a lot of responsibility (in 70 reviews)

• Not once has any upper management ever looked at my goal board (in 49 reviews)

More Highlights

Public Storage a great work place

Current Employee - Property Tax Analyst in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Property Tax Analyst in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Company has a friendly atmosphere. Policy is what is expected in a large corporation and pay is competitive. People is what makes this a great place to work. Working more than 25 years is a testament to its great leadership and management.

Cons

Help with transportation subsidy for carpooling and public transportation would be welcomed if the program was restored.

Great, stable company that is well-managed fiscally with many long-term and loyal employees.

Current Employee - Call Center Management in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Call Center Management in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone I work with at Public Storage is enthusiastic and bright. Many employees have been here for 15 to 20 years and still love their jobs! The employees believe in the product, the customers and the company. Time-off and benefits are good. Pay is good. I definitely recommend this company.

Cons

Company is very agressive and detailed about execution and results. If you're going to present results, make sure you know exactly what you're talking about and own it. Although I prefer this and it's a sign of a health, I can see how this could be an issue for some people.

A little more career pathing and development focus on employees may create some enthusiasm and a richer culture. Business model is solid and contributes to such a stable company, I wouldn't change a thing there.

Over the past seven years this company has been a great place for me to grow personally and professionally.

Current Employee - Property Manager/KTP in Daly City, CA
    Current Employee - Property Manager/KTP in Daly City, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits of working here are that you get to work with the public and meet lots of different people In the community, the company offers onsite management for property managers , and offers up to date training in customer service and retail sales.

Cons

Some of the challenges to working here are the different customer service issues you may encounter. Though they can present a challenge they can also help you grow professionally and you are never left without help to solve them.

My advice to management is to continue putting customers and employees first.

A soul crushing corporate environment - DON'T TAKE THE JOB.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA

I worked at Public Storage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you are C-list executive or major shareholder, this company works for you.

Cons

Everything. If you like working in a draconian, institutional, dreary corporate office, this is the place for you. The irrational CEO rules by intimidation and fear and creates policy to "keep the masses down", while creating inflated stock prices to boost bonuses for the very few. Anyone who can leave will or those who have hung on from the glory days before the CEO took over and are waiting for retirement to cash their stock (no longer offered to employees). No investment is made in the infrastructure so employees work with deficient systems in a high stress environment. Avoid the real estate department at all costs. Toxic.

There are good people in this very bad place. Managers, get out and save yourselves. There is a better way.

8 years and still not bored.

Current Employee - Property Manager/KTP in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Property Manager/KTP in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

This is the best Retail has to offer. I truly enjoy my job. I have been able to make my store my own. I follow the company guidelines, I know my scripts. Yes you do have to learn scripts but I have found at every turn they help. They are just a way to know policy. I have had several DM's and they have all been very kind and understanding especially when it comes to family. Scheduling is very flexible and days off are primarily together. The company is stable and I know I will have my job for awhile. I have respect for upper management including the CEO. I have enjoyed great success because I like to take care of customers. The customers are always interesting. The success has been rewarded and I have been recognized as a leader within my group by both my peers and management. I have been both an onsite and offsite manager. The great part about being onsite is the commute, the bad part is that you are always at work, however, you are never required to work on your off time. The great part about being an offsite manager is you get to go home when the day is done. I am lucky because I have seen the effect I have had within my work groups. I have been around long enough to see a fair amount of change and it has all been good. When I first met Ron Havner I said "welcome to my store" and then I said "wait your store" He corrected me by saying it was "our store." That just about says it all.

Cons

Like all large companies the processes to get things done can be slow.

Keep listening to your PM's and RM's they have lots of ideas

Great company!!!!

I have been working at Public Storage

Pros

All employees have options to benefits. Including health, vision and medical.
    Paid time off
    Endless advancements in the company
    Paid holidays

Cons

No cons!!! It's a great place to work!

A great place to work, Hard work and commitment to employees and customers create opportunity for advancement

Current Employee - Manager in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

As with anything in life, you only get back what you are willing to give. The culture and environment rewards high performers as demonstrated through the various bonus and incentive programs. People throughout the organization, at all levels, are dedicated, conscientious and an absolute pleasuse to work with

Cons

The nature of the business is challenging at times when dealing with customers that are facing severe hardship, especially when it comes to managing expectations or providing" acceptable" solutions in the view of the customer.

Continue to invest in employees by providing additional training that is not "job based" but is more in line with personal development.

PS is GREAT!!

Current Employee - Relief Manager
    Current Employee - Relief Manager

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great starting pay! You are not on your feet all day! Benefits plus bonuses!!! Opportunities for advancement!!

Cons

Some days you have to run a property by yourself, which can be challenging....but not every shift you work

Keep up the great work ethic and philosophy of Public Storage!

Great place to invest your career

Current Employee - Operations
    Current Employee - Operations

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

First and foremost, we have a Chairman of the Board that truly cares about every individual in the organization. Additionally, we have all been held to a very high standard of integrity, so our company won't stand for unethical members on the team. If you want to be developed, and grow both professionally and personally then this is the place to be. We do set the bar high, because we believe that in order to be the best, we must have the best people.

We all work very hard at Public Storage, but the rewards far outweigh the hard work. I look forward to starting my day, because I know that I work for one of the best ran corporations in the world. Lastly, with all of the businesses shuttering their doors, laying off people or being taken over...I can sleep well at night knowing that my company has solid balance sheet and a bright future.

Cons

If you are not performance driven and results oriented, then you won't like working here.

Thank you for making Public Storage a great place to work. Please continue to only except top notch performance from our fellow team members.

District Manager

I worked at Public Storage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Stable company is all I can say for this section

Cons

Stable company that does not care about the customers or employees. For having over 1B in the bank they sure don't pay the hourly associates well. They continue to pull back bonuses and perks. DM has no personal life. Expectations are that the office phone rolls to the cell so calls are coming in at all hours. Especially before auctions as you get the last minute tenants wanting to play Let's Make A Deal instead of just paying what they owe

Upper management truly does not care about the DMs and hourly associates. It is all about one more lock and one more insurance sale so the stock price will continue to go up...no matter what.

There is a reason there is so much turnover. And those that have not left yet just have not found another position.

It's is sad that a company his big can be so uncaring

Just stay away

No advice can be given because they would not listen