Public Storage

Public Storage Reviews

Updated August 19, 2014
Updated August 19, 2014

2.6

Public Storage Vice Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman, President, and CEO, PS Business Parks Ronald L. Havner Jr.
Ronald L. Havner Jr.

Pros
  • So you have a good work/life balance if you have things to get taken care of after 6pm (in 12 reviews)

• Working alone and having office/steady hours are about it (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Being a property manager is a difficult task with a lot of responsibility (in 65 reviews)

• All upper management is hired from outside the company and are trained by (in 45 reviews)

More Highlights

Property Manager

Former Employee - Property Manager  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Property Manager in Orlando, FL

Pros

Doing nothing for most of the day.

Cons

Lying to people about insurance, and locks. I found that most of the locks that were sold were broken, and the leys being sold to other people storing could use their keys on your locks. Probably the most dishonest company I ever worked for. Glad I left.

They need to understand the area, and treat their employees like humans. I was once told to tow a dead cat away in the dumpster. They also did not let me have time off when a family member passed away. This company pulls a lot of shady work.

Solid Company

Pros

Stable and pleasant environment to work in. Plenty to do. Fun activities year round. Rose Parade float. Smart and approachable management. Fair salary.

Cons

A bit conservative at times. Purchase approval process is a bit slow.

Get to know the people on the ground a little better. You are smart and good natured, but a bit out of touch with the men and women on the ground. But keep up all the good things you are doing such as helping your employees improve their performance, being flexible, professional and friendly!

Thanks for the feedback! We really appreciate it!

Amazing company to work for, great benefits, and tons of opportunity for advancement!

Pros

It is difficult to start over after working for the same company for 20 years. I had a tough decision to make three and a half years ago when I chose Public Storage, but after the interview process I knew this was the place for me! I was given the opportunity to interview with several layers of management, each interview giving me more reasons why I wanted to be a part of this exceptional team.
    The culture here is one of endless support that I had never experienced until I joined the Public Storage team. I love the fact that there is room at the top for everyone with tons of opportunity for advancement. This company takes great pride in the development of its employees and because of this I have enjoyed two promotions within the last three and a half years.
    The work-life balance here is a breath of fresh air. The restaurant business didn't allow me to experience this wonderful convenience. The benefits don't stop there; medical, dental, generous vacation package, rewarding incentive plan, 401k with company match, just to name a few.
    I'm very happy to work for a company that values integrity and trust. This is a company with a solid business model that understands how to treat its employees.

Cons

I would like to see us continue to improve our technology. At times the field experiences added obstacles due to out dated equipment/software. The company has recently upgraded phone lines and seems committed to making technology advancements a priority.

Continue to grow and develop!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very happy working at Public Storage.

Current Employee - Instructional Designer  in  Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Instructional Designer in Glendale, CA

Pros

Public Storage is a very successful company and with that comes a certain amount of job security. Their business model is one of the strongest I've ever seen and they continue to plan on extensive growth every year. With this, they are very supportive and understanding of work life balance.

Cons

I don't have any Cons at this time. This company is a perfect fit for me.

Customer service

Former Employee - Customer Service  in  Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Glendale, CA

Pros

Company is Off the 5 freeway, easy to get to.

Cons

Company is driven like small business. Salaries for employees is super low and raises are a joke. Senior management are in positions without previous manager experience... Aren't leaders. Only management gets richer with big raises and bonuses.

Share the wealth with your employees. Hire management that has the experience to run a department.

These reviews are inaccurate...

Former Employee - Relief Manager  in  Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Relief Manager in Sacramento, CA

Pros

They worked with my school schedule and allowed me to work part-time. And they transferred my higher pay from the bay area when I moved.

Cons

This company is cheap, they don't fix anything yet they build more properties with 4,000+ units. Their technology is outdated. They do not care about their employees when they need to take a leave of absence or have a death in the family. They do not care about their customers and put property managers an a place that requires them to break the rules in order to make their customers happy. No one is paid enough compared to other storage companies and we are just robots to them spitting out scripts that don't work. No company advancement. You can only go from relief to property manager and can never advance to a district manager no matter how good of an employee you are. Way too much stress for such a low paying job.

Care about your employees, respect them and treat them like human beings. You are not better than anyone just because you hold a higher position in the company.

Refreshing

Pros

The people I get to work with on a daily basis make my job rewarding and keep me coming back with a renewed energy every day. I learn something new each day but also get to teach something to someone which for me is a win win.

Cons

The technology used is outdated and to get help from the help desk hotline can be frustrating at times.

Don't forget about the people on the front line that deal with the customers each and every day.

Good work-life balance

Pros

Able to have a balance between work and family - don't have to work extended hours.

Cons

Not a company that focuses on employee development.

Develop your people so that they can advance to the next level - otherwise the risk is losing good employees who know a lot about the company.

No security, false promise and no accountability

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

Pros

I like management. I enjoy the fast paced days and reaching goals. This job has taught me what I need to be successful regarding speaking with people, describing transactions and policy procedures a s well as my personal enrichment.

Cons

Unfortunately this outweighs the pros. I called my boss and told them I felt unsafe here. There are men - possibly without a home who walk around and get too close to property office front door. I work alone - no cameras, bad lighting at night and 90% off the highway where anyone can walk up and shoot you, rape or rob basically do whatever they want to you. Anyway I told him about this and he said "call the police if they come in I can't really do anything about homeless men walking around your areas of work." He said nothing also didn't ask about how they could improve on security. Basically meant well ya know I can't do anything and nothing will change to improve your workplace. Also the bathrooms are filthy at some locations, causing me to use my gas to drive 5 miles and find a bathroom. They know these places are unsafe and dangerous with no lighting and dark hallways.

Oh and they have job fairs 247, knowing were short handed and not hiring a single person. They want you to be over qualified for poverty wages and won't hire good honest people. My current manager wouldn't have hired me. I got in a couple of yrs before he did.

You get 30 minutes for lunch. Enough time to drive across the interstate and grab some lunch and drive right back hopijg you get enough time to eat. If you are seen eating lunch while on the clock you will be looked down on.

Don't work here unless you're willing to suffer while doing it.

You guys are obsessed with your pockets. You're obsessed with who you work for. You focus on numbers not quality. These places are filthy and unsafe. I am looking in to reporting you to my local state workforce. There is no advice since you're so greedy.

Many Growth Opportunities

Current Employee - Human Resources  in  Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Burbank, CA

Pros

Public Storage provides a great Work/Life balance, with offerings in benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision, supplemental insurance, and more), 401k with company match, PTO, sick leave, bereavement and bonus opportunities. The management team helps find ways for their employees to grow within the Company and their careers.

Cons

I do not have any cons to mention.

Worked for Public Storage? Contribute to the Community!