Public Storage

Public Storage Reviews

Updated September 23, 2014
Updated September 23, 2014
2.6

Public Storage Vice Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman, President, and CEO, PS Business Parks Ronald L. Havner Jr.
Ronald L. Havner Jr.

Pros
  • So you have a good work/life balance if you have things to get taken care of after 6pm (in 12 reviews)

• Working alone and having office/steady hours are about it (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Being a property manager is a difficult task with a lot of responsibility (in 67 reviews)

• Not once has any upper management ever looked at my goal board (in 45 reviews)

More Highlights

Customer service

Former Employee - Customer Service  in  Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Glendale, CA

I worked at Public Storage full-time for more than a year

Pros

Company is Off the 5 freeway, easy to get to.

Cons

Company is driven like small business. Salaries for employees is super low and raises are a joke. Senior management are in positions without previous manager experience... Aren't leaders. Only management gets richer with big raises and bonuses.

Share the wealth with your employees. Hire management that has the experience to run a department.

Solid Company

I have been working at Public Storage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Stable and pleasant environment to work in. Plenty to do. Fun activities year round. Rose Parade float. Smart and approachable management. Fair salary.

Cons

A bit conservative at times. Purchase approval process is a bit slow.

Get to know the people on the ground a little better. You are smart and good natured, but a bit out of touch with the men and women on the ground. But keep up all the good things you are doing such as helping your employees improve their performance, being flexible, professional and friendly!

Public Storage Response

Jul 10, 2014Vice President Learning & Development

Thanks for the feedback! We really appreciate it!

Very happy working at Public Storage.

Current Employee - Instructional Designer  in  Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Instructional Designer in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Public Storage is a very successful company and with that comes a certain amount of job security. Their business model is one of the strongest I've ever seen and they continue to plan on extensive growth every year. With this, they are very supportive and understanding of work life balance.

Cons

I don't have any Cons at this time. This company is a perfect fit for me.

Public Storage Response

Jul 10, 2014Vice President Learning & Development

Thanks for the feedback! We really appreciate it!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This company asked me to write a good review to raise their approval rating.

Current Employee - New DM  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - New DM in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Public Storage full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Salary for DM's and above
    Some of the people you work with are very nice, but only some.
    I cannot come up with any more Pros.

Cons

Property managers are paid poverty wages
    Around 20 scripts that have to be memorized word for word
    HR asked several new DM's to write reviews to raise the approval rating. That in itself is just poor.
    Leadership is just awful and they lie, cheat and steal and yet you cannot say a thing or you will lose your job.
    Gossip is out of control.
    This company lacks integrity all the way through the CEO

Stop lying to your field
    Stop saying you puke cash and pay your filed team 9.50.
    Evaluate your DM's, RM's and your Divisional's. They are hiding the truth to protect them self.
    Stop the turnover, it is ridiculous.

These reviews are inaccurate...

Former Employee - Relief Manager  in  Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Relief Manager in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Public Storage part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They worked with my school schedule and allowed me to work part-time. And they transferred my higher pay from the bay area when I moved.

Cons

This company is cheap, they don't fix anything yet they build more properties with 4,000+ units. Their technology is outdated. They do not care about their employees when they need to take a leave of absence or have a death in the family. They do not care about their customers and put property managers an a place that requires them to break the rules in order to make their customers happy. No one is paid enough compared to other storage companies and we are just robots to them spitting out scripts that don't work. No company advancement. You can only go from relief to property manager and can never advance to a district manager no matter how good of an employee you are. Way too much stress for such a low paying job.

Care about your employees, respect them and treat them like human beings. You are not better than anyone just because you hold a higher position in the company.

Run

Current Employee - Property Manager
    Current Employee - Property Manager

I have been working at Public Storage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

you get off at 6:pm

Cons

for a hole 9.00 an hour you have to mop hall ways sweep halls clean bathroom clean units. inventory collections calls lease units pull weeds wash windows beg for google review sale over priced merchandise and insurance bank runs and what else they come up with on a daily basis know 20or more scripts word from word they will come by and role play with you as if you where an actor .FYI sales men don't clean bathrooms or do a team lift for abandon goods because upper management don't not get vendor to remove it.PM and RM are the back bone of your company but are treated like crap .and same thing for your customers where is the loyalty ? you not be here if it wasn't for both so top cutting PTO and give are bonus back .

it a shame that most positive reviews are fake .please grab some of that integrity you all ways speak of and pay your employees a livable wage and give PTO and bonus back after all we are the ones that lien your pockets with cash stop pouring on more work but taking way what we earned .show some loyalty to your customer and employess

Good work-life balance

I have been working at Public Storage full-time

Pros

Able to have a balance between work and family - don't have to work extended hours.

Cons

Not a company that focuses on employee development.

Develop your people so that they can advance to the next level - otherwise the risk is losing good employees who know a lot about the company.

Refreshing

I have been working at Public Storage full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The people I get to work with on a daily basis make my job rewarding and keep me coming back with a renewed energy every day. I learn something new each day but also get to teach something to someone which for me is a win win.

Cons

The technology used is outdated and to get help from the help desk hotline can be frustrating at times.

Don't forget about the people on the front line that deal with the customers each and every day.

An nihilistic business model.

Former Employee - Property Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Property Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Public Storage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The job is not going anywhere; being relieved of your position almost takes effort. There's a flat demand curve. When the economy is good, people need storage to move to their new jobs or remodel their homes. When it's lousy, the folks being evicted need somewhere to put things. The hours are short and largely in keeping with a standard business window, so mornings are not too early and you still have an evening. If you show up wearing pants and sober enough to walk, the job is yours.

Cons

The pay is atrocious. I left because, by company policy, staff cannot be promoted above the Property Manager level. District Managers and above are recruited entirely from outside the company. Corporate manipulates the bonus structure to create a cascading series of pay cuts directed primarily at the highest-performing members of the ground crew. Being advanced to Property Manager from Relief Manager does not involve a raise; you are volunteered to be on call and you are given added restrictions to your schedule by accepting this position. The sales and marketing aspect of the business is clearly designed on the assumption that the company is hiring anyone with a heartbeat (sales scripting is mandatory is clearly written at about the third-grade level). District Managers are under such perpetual scrutiny that the management climate forces an antagonistic approach; the best DMs I worked with quit or got fired for, essentially, failure to demonstrate that the rank-and-file were being properly micromanaged into complete despair. The entry-level position with Public Storage is only suitable if you are otherwise unemployed or if you have never had a job and want to be able to put "manager" on your resume.

There is such a thing as a goodwill account. As the executive arm of the enterprise, your primary duty is to the shareholders. I understand that it is genuinely unethical for you to harm the business, even if you are doing so in the name of helping the employees. As expected standards of living rise, and as social media take an increasingly-prominent role in the marketing world, thriving on a high employee churn rate will end up doing at least enough damage to counter the benefits of a lower payroll budget. Moreover, if the pay/opportunity is not enough to encourage staff retention and at least some minimal level of proprietary interest in the well-being of the company, properties will physically deteriorate at an unhealthy rate, regulatory issues will fly under the radar until inspection day, and both rentals and occupancy will suffer. The on-site staff are just barely motivated enough to come punch in.

No security, false promise and no accountability

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Public Storage

Pros

I like management. I enjoy the fast paced days and reaching goals. This job has taught me what I need to be successful regarding speaking with people, describing transactions and policy procedures a s well as my personal enrichment.

Cons

Unfortunately this outweighs the pros. I called my boss and told them I felt unsafe here. There are men - possibly without a home who walk around and get too close to property office front door. I work alone - no cameras, bad lighting at night and 90% off the highway where anyone can walk up and shoot you, rape or rob basically do whatever they want to you. Anyway I told him about this and he said "call the police if they come in I can't really do anything about homeless men walking around your areas of work." He said nothing also didn't ask about how they could improve on security. Basically meant well ya know I can't do anything and nothing will change to improve your workplace. Also the bathrooms are filthy at some locations, causing me to use my gas to drive 5 miles and find a bathroom. They know these places are unsafe and dangerous with no lighting and dark hallways.

Oh and they have job fairs 247, knowing were short handed and not hiring a single person. They want you to be over qualified for poverty wages and won't hire good honest people. My current manager wouldn't have hired me. I got in a couple of yrs before he did.

You get 30 minutes for lunch. Enough time to drive across the interstate and grab some lunch and drive right back hopijg you get enough time to eat. If you are seen eating lunch while on the clock you will be looked down on.

Don't work here unless you're willing to suffer while doing it.

You guys are obsessed with your pockets. You're obsessed with who you work for. You focus on numbers not quality. These places are filthy and unsafe. I am looking in to reporting you to my local state workforce. There is no advice since you're so greedy.

Worked for Public Storage? Contribute to the Community!