Publications International

Updated December 7, 2014
Updated December 7, 2014
1.7

Louis Weber

Was good, at one time...

I worked at Publications International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Laid back environment, casual dress code, summer hours and good vacation & paid time off. Great coworkers were the best part.

Cons

Lack of stable management, no advancement, too many "Chiefs" and few "Indians". Everyone wants to be in charge so there is a lot of internal disagreements. Also, management does not take annual reviews seriously. Not just for an increase (which there has not been for a few years) but just to let your employees know how they are doing. There is also NO communication about the status of the company or where they are headed.

It was what it was

Former Employee - Creative in Lincolnwood, IL
    Former Employee - Creative in Lincolnwood, IL

I worked at Publications International

Pros

Good work environment, opportunity for advancement at one time if you played your cards right.

Cons

For most, a stepping stone. The penalty for not realizing this is becoming too comfortable and losing opportunities in the real world. Too many people got caught up in the "cult of Lou" and totally lost their perspective. When Lou ran out of ideas, we all circled the drain together. Can't blame the company. We all have our own free will.

Learn Chinese language.

One star, if not for the wonderful coworkers that I dealt with every day.

I worked at Publications International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Mostly flexible PTO, great work life balance when I was there. On really bad snow days, Panera or Corner Bakery was provided for lunch. Oh, and free popcorn. But only on Friday. If it's Tuesday, DON'T TOUCH THE POPCORN MACHINE!

Cons

Upper management was generally horrible, antagonistic, and in some cases, unintentionally cruel. Middle management was hit or miss depending on who you worked under. My DR was good. Pay discrepancies were egregious. Some of us were making $30-$40k less than our coworkers at equal levels and (I suspected) more than $100-$150k less than our immediate supervisors. Raises were barely even covering the lifts in costs of living.

Finally, there was no real captain at the helm of this thing. I worked here six years, saw the CEO's face a total of twice and never heard any communication from him. Not one word. He never had a single word of encouragement for any of the employees even when pressed. At one notoriously bad and awkward meeting, wherein the sole purpose of said meeting was to bolster our spirits, he happened to pop in and was asked by one of the VPs to say something encouraging. He turned and walked out with a dismissive wave of his arm and without a word leaving the VP to pick up that turd-covered ball and keep it in play. P.S. The goal of the meeting was not achieved.

What would they care? It's all been sold to China now. Mission accomplished.

Graphic Designer

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Lincolnwood, IL
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Lincolnwood, IL

I worked at Publications International full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great working conditions and subject matter.

Cons

The middle management did not support their staff

Support your staff

If you want to be at a progressive company, learn new skills and work your way up the ladder, this is not the place 4 U

I worked at Publications International full-time

Pros

Low stress, flexible hours, decent benefits

Cons

not very many chances to grow or move up the ranks. Very uninspiring work environment.

Company is a shell of its former self

Former Employee - Editor in Lincolnwood, IL
    Former Employee - Editor in Lincolnwood, IL

I worked at Publications International full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I joined PIL in the mid-2000s, and the position was a dream job. I already knew most of the people I'd be working with as I knew them from a professional organization I was a member of when I worked for another company. The atmosphere was very casual, my immediate managers great, and I would arrive and go home every day with a smile on my face. PTO time was both generous and flexible, and the health insurance was comprehensive and affordable.

Cons

Salaries were not outstanding in the first place, and the few "raises" were very minor bumps that barely qualified as cost-of-living adjustments. A series of terrible decisions by upper management has essentially driven the company into the ground. It's a mere shadow of what it used to be.

I hope lessons have been learned, and things will turn around, though I fear it has gone beyond the point of no return. Hopefully they will find a willing business partner or a firm to acquire remaining assets, because the company still holds properties strong equity.

Adrift

I worked at Publications International full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

At one time one of the best working enviroments. People looked forward to going to work. Really changed.

Cons

CEO dropped the ball. A class of incompetent clowns were given free a free hand. They drove the company to the brink of going under.

It may be too late, but do what made you sucessful, with the people that made you so.

Just a job. Regrettable.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincolnwood, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincolnwood, IL

I have been working at Publications International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of creative talent and inter-personal relationships make the days bearable. Work life balance is alright, slightly flexible as to work times.

Cons

Much of management is inexperienced and unknowledgeable in terms of moving the company into a new business era which is essential as PIL's market is drastically shrinking. Managements solution to issues is selling off profitable segments in order to increase cash flow to sustain business a bit longer.

Office space is impersonal, tacky, and set up as an illusion to exhibit success as business slows in a dying market.

Many employees in key positions are inexperienced.

Spend less money on art work and more on making the business sustainable.

Failing company in a shrinking industry.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincolnwood, IL

I worked at Publications International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The interactions with your fellow employees are the only reason I stayed at the company for as long as I did.

Cons

Recently divested one of its main segments of business and half of its office to China
    Low pay but somewhat expected with the type of work being done if your not with the creative side of the business
    Misallocation of human resources leaves current management undesirable.
    Office is essentially cubicle farms with extravagant décor plastered over every inch of the walls as if they company is trying to radiate how successful they are. Most paintings and artwork are an eyesore.

Spend less money on appearance and more money on revitalizing and restructuring your business model before pil closes it doors for good.

Adrift

I worked at Publications International full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

PIL has a relaxed, informal atmosphere and good life/work balance with flex scheduling and reasonably generous time off.

Cons

Sales staff historically hasn't been held accountable for wildly optimistic forecasting, which creates inefficient use of staff time and problems with inventory. Management never faced reality and inevitably ran into financial problems.

Decide what kind of a publishing company it really wants to be.

Publications International Photos