Publications International

pubint.com

Publications International Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014
Publications International – US – “typical cubicle”

Louis Weber

Company is a shell of its former self

Editor (Former Employee) Lincolnwood, IL

ProsI joined PIL in the mid-2000s, and the position was a dream job. I already knew most of the people I'd be working with as I knew them from a professional organization I was a member of when I worked for another company. The atmosphere was very casual, my immediate managers great, and I would arrive and go home every day with a smile on my face. PTO time was both generous and flexible, and the health insurance was comprehensive and affordable.

ConsSalaries were not outstanding in the first place, and the few "raises" were very minor bumps that barely qualified as cost-of-living adjustments. A series of terrible decisions by upper management has essentially driven the company into the ground. It's a mere shadow of what it used to be.

Advice to Senior ManagementI hope lessons have been learned, and things will turn around, though I fear it has gone beyond the point of no return. Hopefully they will find a willing business partner or a firm to acquire remaining assets, because the company still holds properties strong equity.

Before 2008 there was a lot of opportunity.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Lincolnwood, IL

ProsYou were rewarded if the product that you worked on was profitable. The health benefits were great. Casual atmosphere. When the financial cuts happened the severance package was very generous.

ConsWhen the financial bust was hurting the company, it was never openly addressed. Groups of people just started to be cut with no explanation.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more human. It doesn't cost anything to share information.

If you want to be at a progressive company, learn new skills and work your way up the ladder, this is not the place 4 U

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Lincolnwood, IL

ProsLow stress, flexible hours, decent benefits

Consnot very many chances to grow or move up the ranks. Very uninspiring work environment.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Adrift

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAt one time one of the best working enviroments. People looked forward to going to work. Really changed.

ConsCEO dropped the ball. A class of incompetent clowns were given free a free hand. They drove the company to the brink of going under.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt may be too late, but do what made you sucessful, with the people that made you so.

Well ... horrifying.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Lincolnwood, IL

ProsActual co-workers can be a fun group.

The work can be interesting and fun, as long as you don't run into someone who has been there too long and is bitter.

Casual work environment

Ample parking

If you mess up, there are few repercussions. It's almost like no one cares or if paying attention!

ConsSome of the worst, ineffectual, self-serving managers you will ever have the misfortune of working with. Petty, self-involved, totally willing to throw you under the bus at any notice.

Zero professional training, and networking in the industry is actively discouraged. There is a LOT of paranoia here.

Very little room for growth -- you have to wait for somebody to quit/be fired in order to advance. However, people quit/get fired at a really rapid rate, so maybe your wait will be short.

Very little training -- you are shown a desk and given assignments, and you kind of have to figure out what you are supposed to do.

Sales and other senior staff are constantly bragging about their record sales and bonuses. Meanwhile, the people who do the actual work have been in a pay freeze.

Advice to Senior ManagementCEO should spend more time managing the company and less time leering at the female employees.

CEO should stop working with friends, and start working with people who will actually do the work.

Managers should actually pay attention to their departments, and stop rewarding the people they like and start rewarding/recognizing the ones who do the work.

Adrift

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPIL has a relaxed, informal atmosphere and good life/work balance with flex scheduling and reasonably generous time off.

ConsSales staff historically hasn't been held accountable for wildly optimistic forecasting, which creates inefficient use of staff time and problems with inventory. Management never faced reality and inevitably ran into financial problems.

Advice to Senior ManagementDecide what kind of a publishing company it really wants to be.

Such a great job, such a terrible job

Art Director (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat people, fun work. The actual work was really fun, and the people they hire (non-managment) are wonderful and very sweet, great to work with

ConsTerrible management, low salaries, general bad form in most areas. Just a really creepy place, suspect firing policies, very black and white, upper management really tyrannical.

Advice to Senior ManagementPaying more, being less toxic and oddly personal would be a start.

This is my PIL Experience

Art Director (Former Employee) Lincolnwood, IL

ProsWorked with great people at PIL.

ConsThe company is badly managed.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to listen to the people with experience.

What's Happening is Sad

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Lincolnwood, IL

ProsGood location. Pleasant, casual work environment. Building is well-maintained. Some great co-workers. Generous PTO and excellent health insurance.

ConsPoor communication. Big and numerous downsizing over the past few years. Don't appreciate the good employees. All employees not treated equally -- lots of "favorites."

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open with employees as to financial situation -- communicate better. Show more appreciation for the hard-working employees still employed.

Long slide down the corporate ladder

Warehouse (Former Employee)

ProsEasy commute, benefits are still pretty good. Will hire those with little to no experience. Relaxed dress code.

ConsLack of communication from the top on down. Bottom line mentality crushes free thinking.
    Career advancement nearly impossible. Salaries for most employees is under industry standards. Stark, lifeless atmosphere in the office.

From 1985 - 2000 this was a vital,energetic, fun, mid- sized company even though it was run like a mom and pop store. The "in" crowd (mostly Sales and upper management) were rewarded handsomely for caving in to the customer's every whim. All other departments who had to create the changes these whims produced were allowed a 3 - 5% pay raise during these "glory years". Employee morale was very good as evidenced at the annual company picnic and Christmas party. Most all of the problems that currently plague the company were there back then, but since the profits were huge-the problems were ignored. Over the past decade as profits have declined, the company has responded by circling the wagons (cutting staff, cutting benefits, salary freezes,producing the same tired formats of books) instead of adapting to the changing market.
    A failed buyout of the Children's book division in the early 2000's (with no explanation from management) further eroded the employee morale. Layoffs would occur and speculation about future firings among the employees would run rampant. Yet no word from upper management ever came down to quell the rumors or explain what was happening. You were told to be thankful you still had a job.
    During the last few years as the company declined, the CEO has brought in hundreds of original paintings and pieces of art to decorate the entire office space. The former president of the company had the nerve to bring in his new $100,000 car for us to admire. To say upper management doesn't care would be an understatement. Employment here can turn one from young and positive to old and jaded in very short order.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone- they already know it all! They didn't listen to my advice while I was employed there. They won't listen now.

Worked for Publications International? Contribute to the Community!