Publicis Kaplan Thaler

Publicis Kaplan Thaler Reviews

Updated March 2, 2015
Updated March 2, 2015

Robin Koval

Love the people, the company is wonderful, but of course there are a few things I would fix.

Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Publicis Kaplan Thaler full-time

Pros

Wonderful people. Great company. Good hours. Good perks (gym discounts, great benefits, etc). Fast paced. Work is fun and creative and exciting. Most people enjoy their jobs here it seems too.

Cons

No training really - hard to define role. You learn as you go. Haven't had a review yet, so unsure if and when that'll happen. Process needs a little work (i.e. project managements role with account and creative)... Not everyone follows it and it can become a bit messy.

Great place to get your hands dirty if you're really into the advertising world.

Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive
    Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive

I have been working at Publicis Kaplan Thaler

Pros

Donuts every Friday to make the day special from the ready of the way.

Cons

There are vending machines full of soda and seltzer water, for caffeine, but no water.

Very mixed bag!

I worked at Publicis Kaplan Thaler

Pros

- Good freelance pay if you know what to ask for
    - Central location - close to stores, trains etc.
    - Donut Fridays

Cons

- Poor fulltime pay
    - Favoritism
    - No training
    - No advancement
    - Work/life balance frowned upon if you're not management
    - Cut throat if you don't suck-up

Nothing will change - so why bother?

Agency Needs Work

Current Employee - Art Director
    Current Employee - Art Director

I have been working at Publicis Kaplan Thaler (more than 3 years)

Pros

Overall people are very nice.

Cons

Difficult to feel cohesive when the agency is in three different buildings. Overall morale is low and people are trying to get out.

Care more for your people and their career.

An agency of fiefdoms

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in New York, NY
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in New York, NY

I have been working at Publicis Kaplan Thaler as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

I believe they pay pretty well for incoming people. I can't speak for raises, as i am freelancing, but, I know some new hires who were enticed by relatively generous offers.

There are good, talented people there. I found them to be smart and easy to work with.

Cons

There is no culture or sense of identity in the agency. it has multiple offices, and each account , and department feels extremely silo'd. The office spaces are all pretty horrible with Herald Square winning the award for possibly the most depressing work space in nyc. It doesn't look or feel like you are working in an agency. There's a decidedly blue collar feel working there, and not in a good way. A lot of agencies have a creative vibe to them. PKT seems to lack it.

Let the inmates run the asylum. Right now it feels like an agency built, and run by HR, and it shows.

Easy going but get boring fast

Former Employee - Producer
    Former Employee - Producer

I worked at Publicis Kaplan Thaler full-time

Pros

- Ability to move within the company
    - Good work life balance (depending on your account)
    - Above average compensation

Cons

- conservative creative/work/accounts = boring

Intern

I worked at Publicis Kaplan Thaler

Pros

great art directors and creative directors
    great office

Cons

slow IT
    several project managers are discriminating and lazy

need to hire better people

Focus on digital and becoming a global ad giant, but forgetting the most precious asset--the employee

Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Publicis Kaplan Thaler full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They offer really wonderful benefits and allow for plenty of sick/vacation/holiday time if your workload permits. They also offer cute perks like Mister Softee visits, Doughnut/Donut Fridays, and occasional office holiday parties.

Cons

After the merger two years ago, it seems we've never recovered. There's no set process in place, company culture is... non-existent, morale is low after several lay-offs, and although they've been feverishly hiring, it doesn't seem like that provide a clear understanding of processes or organization/key contacts. Also, there is no clear understanding of what it takes to be promoted and they seem to be way below industry norms regarding salary/compensation. They do not invest in employee training or growth, but they don't easily fire (accept for the huge layoffs they had to in the print studios) so they are a lot of employees who simply under-performed but are kept in key roles. They also seem to have too much of a focus on winning awards than actually providing great creative and service to clients. I can't tell you how many times I've heard of account managers writing scripts/boards because their creatives are too busy preparing for Cannes or some other notable industry award. Lastly, their creative department is way too senior, so it's difficult to complete day-to-day creative tasks.

Invest in your employees (training, compensation, staff appropriately). Yes, growing the digital business and becoming a notable global advertising agency is important, but acknowledging and investing in those that keep the clients happy is more important.

So far, so great! Extremely collaborative atmosphere and if you have good ideas and brain, you have a seat at the table.

Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Publicis Kaplan Thaler full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Really impressed with the amount that you get to interact with senior people while being in a junior position

Can't speak for the entire agency but on my everyone is just plain nice. Everyone says thank you and everyone, even junior people, are credited for the work that they do.

You get to rub shoulders with some really smart people.

The people you work with are competent and management will go to bat for you with clients.

As an account person I get to touch multiple roles and have a say in strategy.

Pretty good benefits and i would say that pay is above average for an AAE

Cons

Really long hours, but that's advertising, if you can't handle it find a different line of work

Haven't really seen breakthrough creative but that might be a product of clients not giving us license to be peacocks

Resourcing is tight so sometimes we don't have as much human capital to work with which leads to people getting taxed

You guys are fine by me. Keep being real and accessible.

Internship

Former Intern - Account Management Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Account Management Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Publicis Kaplan Thaler as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Amazing people, nice, young and always ready to help. They let me handle a variety of projects very early on and always trusted me.
    Great working environment: donuts friday, good location, company's events

Cons

A lot of turnover but maybe it is the advertising industry.
    Worked definitely more than 40 hours. However it depends on which account you are working for, some people always leave around 5 p.m. and my coworkers were always grateful for me staying late but never asked me to. The food and taxi is paid after 9 p.m.