Publicis Modem

Be The First To
Add Photos

Publicis Modem CEO Jean-Philippe (JP) Maheu

Jean-Philippe (JP) Maheu

Pros:
  • "very good at allowing work life balance"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Chelsea Market is nearby so the food is good"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "New business is lacking- it would be nice to win some pitches to mix things up"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Very top heavy (too many VPs) and not enough middle management"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

More politics than Washington DC.

Associate Director (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsA lot of the people at Publicis Modem are fantastic to work with. There is some real talent and teamwork at the agency.

ConsUnfortunately, there's no structure for mentoring and developing talent, and promotions and even hiring often seem to be based on senior management's pals. It's rare for the company to promote from within, instead filling senior roles with new hires. The culture seems to get more political every day, and people don't feel valued or respected.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to people. Empower your employees. Lots of people have lots of good ideas, so don't just reuse the same ideas over and over. And listen to feedback--when you're getting complaints about an employee from multiple sources across different departments year after year, you should take those complaints seriously.

Lots of potential, but not there yet

Senior Associate (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsBest reason to work here? Sad, but it's location: Chelsea Market has great food and frequent celebrity sightings.
    As far as the people go, most are very nice, just too frazzled and overworked to give anyone the time of day.

ConsWhere to begin? The company is too top heavy, which means the underlings have to work long and hard to make the margins work for Publicis Groupe, USA. Any constructive criticism falls on deaf ears. And the attitude is, "If you don't like it, leave." If the economy were better, the turnover rate here would be off the charts. Most people are biding their time to jump ship for better pay, better hours, and better leadership.

Advice to Senior ManagementRather than ignoring problems, why not open up a dialogue with the entire staff? You have a lot of smart people who would love to see the company do well, and you should empower them to make the much-needed changes.

Lot's of work. Little pay.

Associate Media Planner (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsModem strives to be the best in digital and produce quality work.

ConsThere is no work life balance for junior employees and the pay is very low. Expectations are set very high yet the compensation doesn't equal the amount of time & effort you put into your work. Everyone is spread thin and weekends in the office are common.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your staff! Stay out of the weeds and let us do our jobs without constant micro-managing. Too many "managers" and leaders try to take over tasks but if they don't allow others to play a role in certain deliverables, they aren't allowing everyone to fully grow.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Toot toot, here's the train wreck.

VP, Director (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsResidual Digitas infrastructure and marketing approach. The fact that they let you take dogs to work. Oh, gosh, it kind of falls off after that.

ConsResidual Digitas passive-agressive management style. The fact that all of the good Clients have been driven off through stunningly poor Client management. At one time, after the Digitas/Modem merger, this was a shop that was chock o' block with talent and potential. Two years later the talented and dedicated had fled and the dregs, with some notable exceptions mostly in creative, was folded into Publicis.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen. Learn. Leave your office occasionally. Hire and promote excellence, beyond the more junior levels, instead of embracing senior mediocrity because it isn't threatening. Find somebody, somewhere, who can actually build and keep business, internally and externally. Promote the CEO into some stratosphere, because he seemingly cannot be fired, where he can do no harm.

How to get thrown under a bus

(Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsNone really. Chelsea Market is kinda fun for lunch for about a week.

ConsIf you enjoy busting your ass just to get thrown under the bus by Sr Management, then this place is great. Second worst place I have ever worked. Sr Management are the people who just happened to stick around through all the shake ups and mergers. Anyone with talent went to Digitas. Many have been there for 10+ years and wouldn't be able to hack it at a real agency. You are referred to and treated as a "resource".

Advice to Senior ManagementStep 1. Find a tall building.
    Step 2. Open top floor window.
    Step 3. Auto-defenestration.

Swell place for a sweat shop...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsMany of the people who work at there are some of the brightest and most creative I've ever had the chance to work with. They still attract some great clients and the work can be challenging and stimulating.

ConsUpper management is completely out of touch with the actual work going on and for the most part are disorganized. They like to swoop in for client meetings to get the credit and give the impression that they care and are managing projects, but for the most part don't have a clue. If you don't mind working in a two-class environment where people are treated differently depending on which side of the management divide you are, then this place is for you. This is a sweat shop where "workers" are told the work week is 45 hours (not including any lunch time), but if you have Director of VP at the end of your title, chances are you don't come in before 10 and leave by 5.

They don't abide by verbal promises and forget it if you actually expect to get a promotion or recognition for your work.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow more respect and appreciation for the hard-working folk who actually do the work. Honor your commitment for performance reviews. Communicate to employees before issuing negative feedback and creating an atmosphere of mistrust, anxiety, and stress.

Bad experience as freelancer

Freelance Art Director (Former Employee)
    Norwalk, CT

ProsProminent clients, WAS a legendary shop.

ConsI've met a lot of people who had worked at Modem Media in its heyday. They had nothing but good things to say about it. Concurrently, they have nothing good to say about its current state. Freelancing, I felt anonymous at best, disrespected at worst. I worked until 3AM on a project my 2nd day there (I sat around idling before that) that I delivered the next day. Apparently the creative lead on that project really screwed up the schedule and blamed me, the new freelancer. The project was obviously a mess. They kept me on until it was convenient to tell me I "dropped the ball" and let me go.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate and maintain proper accountability.

The Worst Place if you Want to Be Treated with Respect

Senior Analyst (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGet great online advertising experience. Learn quickly in a fast-paced environment. Gain exposure to large and small clients across various industries immediately. So much work, and so few resources that you can take on as much as you can, if you are willing. Lots of opportunity to grow your level of responsibility and quickly gain client exposure.

ConsLow pay, long hours, toxic company culture. People don't work together well and the company doesn't care about the morale of its people. The company would rather pay extra for freelancers than pay full-timers a decent salary.

Advice to Senior ManagementFix the culture, focus on the people in order to reduce turnover and increase job satisfaction.

Outstanding professionalism and talent

Graphic Designer (Former Employee)
    Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsDiverse brands, exciting projects and a very collaborative work ethic

ConsNothing out of the norm for advertising, any place ive even been im always thinking I wish I had more time

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat leadership and comradery

Great analytics department to work for within the company!

Analyst (Current Employee)
    Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsFun and diverse environment with good work/life balance

ConsBusy, average management, and slow career advancement within the company.

Worked for Publicis Modem? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Publicis Modem reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Publicis Modem CEO Jean-Philippe (JP) Maheu. All 62 reviews posted anonymously by Publicis Modem employees.