Publicis Modem

Updated August 23, 2014
2.3

Publicis Modem CEO Jean-Philippe (JP) Maheu
Jean-Philippe (JP) Maheu

Pros
  • very good at allowing work life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Chelsea Market is nearby so the food is good (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • New business is lacking- it would be nice to win some pitches to mix things up (in 5 reviews)

• Very top heavy (too many VPs) and not enough middle management (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

More politics than Washington DC.

Former Employee - Associate Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate Director in New York, NY

I worked at Publicis Modem

Pros

A lot of the people at Publicis Modem are fantastic to work with. There is some real talent and teamwork at the agency.

Cons

Unfortunately, there's no structure for mentoring and developing talent, and promotions and even hiring often seem to be based on senior management's pals. It's rare for the company to promote from within, instead filling senior roles with new hires. The culture seems to get more political every day, and people don't feel valued or respected.

Listen to people. Empower your employees. Lots of people have lots of good ideas, so don't just reuse the same ideas over and over. And listen to feedback--when you're getting complaints about an employee from multiple sources across different departments year after year, you should take those complaints seriously.

Lots of potential, but not there yet

Current Employee - Senior Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Publicis Modem

Pros

Best reason to work here? Sad, but it's location: Chelsea Market has great food and frequent celebrity sightings.
    As far as the people go, most are very nice, just too frazzled and overworked to give anyone the time of day.

Cons

Where to begin? The company is too top heavy, which means the underlings have to work long and hard to make the margins work for Publicis Groupe, USA. Any constructive criticism falls on deaf ears. And the attitude is, "If you don't like it, leave." If the economy were better, the turnover rate here would be off the charts. Most people are biding their time to jump ship for better pay, better hours, and better leadership.

Rather than ignoring problems, why not open up a dialogue with the entire staff? You have a lot of smart people who would love to see the company do well, and you should empower them to make the much-needed changes.

Lot's of work. Little pay.

Current Employee - Associate Media Planner in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Media Planner in New York, NY

I have been working at Publicis Modem

Pros

Modem strives to be the best in digital and produce quality work.

Cons

There is no work life balance for junior employees and the pay is very low. Expectations are set very high yet the compensation doesn't equal the amount of time & effort you put into your work. Everyone is spread thin and weekends in the office are common.

Trust your staff! Stay out of the weeds and let us do our jobs without constant micro-managing. Too many "managers" and leaders try to take over tasks but if they don't allow others to play a role in certain deliverables, they aren't allowing everyone to fully grow.

Toot toot, here's the train wreck.

Former Employee - VP, Director in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - VP, Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Publicis Modem

Pros

Residual Digitas infrastructure and marketing approach. The fact that they let you take dogs to work. Oh, gosh, it kind of falls off after that.

Cons

Residual Digitas passive-agressive management style. The fact that all of the good Clients have been driven off through stunningly poor Client management. At one time, after the Digitas/Modem merger, this was a shop that was chock o' block with talent and potential. Two years later the talented and dedicated had fled and the dregs, with some notable exceptions mostly in creative, was folded into Publicis.

Listen. Learn. Leave your office occasionally. Hire and promote excellence, beyond the more junior levels, instead of embracing senior mediocrity because it isn't threatening. Find somebody, somewhere, who can actually build and keep business, internally and externally. Promote the CEO into some stratosphere, because he seemingly cannot be fired, where he can do no harm.

How to get thrown under a bus

I worked at Publicis Modem

Pros

None really. Chelsea Market is kinda fun for lunch for about a week.

Cons

If you enjoy busting your ass just to get thrown under the bus by Sr Management, then this place is great. Second worst place I have ever worked. Sr Management are the people who just happened to stick around through all the shake ups and mergers. Anyone with talent went to Digitas. Many have been there for 10+ years and wouldn't be able to hack it at a real agency. You are referred to and treated as a "resource".

Step 1. Find a tall building.
    Step 2. Open top floor window.
    Step 3. Auto-defenestration.

Swell place for a sweat shop...

I worked at Publicis Modem

Pros

Many of the people who work at there are some of the brightest and most creative I've ever had the chance to work with. They still attract some great clients and the work can be challenging and stimulating.

Cons

Upper management is completely out of touch with the actual work going on and for the most part are disorganized. They like to swoop in for client meetings to get the credit and give the impression that they care and are managing projects, but for the most part don't have a clue. If you don't mind working in a two-class environment where people are treated differently depending on which side of the management divide you are, then this place is for you. This is a sweat shop where "workers" are told the work week is 45 hours (not including any lunch time), but if you have Director of VP at the end of your title, chances are you don't come in before 10 and leave by 5.

They don't abide by verbal promises and forget it if you actually expect to get a promotion or recognition for your work.

Show more respect and appreciation for the hard-working folk who actually do the work. Honor your commitment for performance reviews. Communicate to employees before issuing negative feedback and creating an atmosphere of mistrust, anxiety, and stress.

Bad experience as freelancer

Former Employee - Freelance Art Director in Norwalk, CT
    Former Employee - Freelance Art Director in Norwalk, CT

I worked at Publicis Modem

Pros

Prominent clients, WAS a legendary shop.

Cons

I've met a lot of people who had worked at Modem Media in its heyday. They had nothing but good things to say about it. Concurrently, they have nothing good to say about its current state. Freelancing, I felt anonymous at best, disrespected at worst. I worked until 3AM on a project my 2nd day there (I sat around idling before that) that I delivered the next day. Apparently the creative lead on that project really screwed up the schedule and blamed me, the new freelancer. The project was obviously a mess. They kept me on until it was convenient to tell me I "dropped the ball" and let me go.

Communicate and maintain proper accountability.

The Worst Place if you Want to Be Treated with Respect

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Publicis Modem

Pros

Get great online advertising experience. Learn quickly in a fast-paced environment. Gain exposure to large and small clients across various industries immediately. So much work, and so few resources that you can take on as much as you can, if you are willing. Lots of opportunity to grow your level of responsibility and quickly gain client exposure.

Cons

Low pay, long hours, toxic company culture. People don't work together well and the company doesn't care about the morale of its people. The company would rather pay extra for freelancers than pay full-timers a decent salary.

Fix the culture, focus on the people in order to reduce turnover and increase job satisfaction.

Great, if you like being stringed along on three month contracts

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Publicis Modem as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Mentorship program, some great co-workers (although currently a revolving door).

Cons

Finance department thinks it is acceptable to wait until 2 days before the end of your contract to let you know if you'll be renewed.

Consider promoting from within and showing more than a three month at a time commitment to people. Your motto is Lead The Change, so lead within the industry and offer longer-term contracts, or full-time employment (and not just for creatives).

Outstanding professionalism and talent

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Publicis Modem full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Diverse brands, exciting projects and a very collaborative work ethic

Cons

Nothing out of the norm for advertising, any place ive even been im always thinking I wish I had more time

Great leadership and comradery