Publicis

Updated January 9, 2015
2.9

Publicis Président du Directoire Maurice Lévy
Maurice Lévy

Pros
  • If you are on a good account, there is a nice work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Great boss, some good people, and interesting work (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, no salary rewardings and no work/life balance (in 12 reviews)

• Work life balance, very top heavy management who did little and lost more business than it won, not genuine in (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

20 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

good

Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Publicis

Pros

large and growing international company

Cons

was going through a merger

Favorable experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Publicis full-time (more than a year)

Pros

A lot of different, exciting happenings and great people to work with.

Cons

For an advertising company, I believe the company does well. I cannot think of anything to complain about.

Ad world

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Publicis full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great, creative people, plenty of "happy hour" opportunities and free doughnuts on Fridays.

Cons

Working in an often volatile, abusive, "walking on egg shells" environment was not inspiring in the least.

You're just another simple cog in the machine with no voice

Current Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY

I have been working at Publicis as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent workforce with good positive attitudes at same level but the egos grow exponentially with each level up the management ladder. Almost seems as if they hire those that will "drink the punch" and not push back on the flawed ideology of the corporate structure.

Cons

Pay is the lowest versus competitor employees I've spoken with. The leadership is fake, reciting the same lines of "appreciation" almost as if they are following a script or reading from a teleprompter. Its hard to stand out when you thrive and the same "atta-boy" given to you is also given to the worst performer on the team. Now, any of you that are a low performer can view this is a positive if you prefer. And don't even thinking about a promotion!

If you give more work to a person because they stand out from the rest, they should be compensated for their extra efforts and extra time put in each week. Do not take your employees for granted. Without us, you have nothing.

Very nice people, Great client. CTO needs to be more open minded.

Current Employee - Powerpoint in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Powerpoint in New York, NY

I have been working at Publicis as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

The Company appreciates outstanding work and loyalty. I had a great working relationship for several years with Publicis. I was always the consultant that got this client out of trouble when their New Business was sinking or their client's were unhappy from other freelancer's work. They always paid my invoice in a reasonable amount of time and without a struggle. The CTO (Patti) is very nice, cool-to-the-nth-degree, and professional)

Cons

Unfortunately there are employees who do not understand BIG Ad agency mentality and freak out under pressure. The client suffers and so do all the co-workers and freelancers surrounding that person. I was one of those people who suffered tremendously after a 6 year solid relationship with this company because of one very irresponsible and lazy individual. I do NOT blame Publicis at all. That person is now gone from the company and so is my relationship with this amazing corporation because of this one person's crude and poor work ethic. It baffles me that one reckless person can go from agency to agency without recourse.

Be more open minded to to those who were incredibly loyal and perhaps more revue needs to be applied to those who are full-time.

Very senior heavy

Current Employee - Writer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Writer in New York, NY

I have been working at Publicis full-time

Pros

Heart for good, traditional creative

Cons

Award driven rather than function driven

give your people raises! they want to stay, give them reason to.

Best in my career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Publicis full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Large org with small org feel encourages career mobility

Cons

Being part of a network imposes some restrictions

Uninspiring

Former Employee - Account Supervisor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Supervisor in New York, NY

I worked at Publicis full-time (more than a year)

Pros

A good mix of clients (big and small) and after the merger, there will be even better job security. Somewhat of an old school family-oriented place (where you can coast along even if you're not an all star).

Cons

There's an abnormal amount of bad talent there. They lack the creative energy and innovation to attract the best people. And the management is just too nice to fire anyone. Basically, you can succeed there if you're lovable and fit well with the team dynamic.

Digital capabilities are embarrassing and it was incredibly difficult to fake it with our clients every day. There's a severe lack of training or sharing of ideas/challenges/creative work/tools. There's no wifi. The email system (lotus notes) is archaic and continually faulty (which is unacceptable in client services).

Because there are three offices, many of your senior staff will be in other offices or in transit when you need them.

The method for acquiring creative resources is absurd. Anytime you need a creative, you must have all details of the project confirmed, then you ask for someone and god knows when you'll get them. Then at a drop of a hat, they'll go on vacation (how do you not plan for this before making assignments?!) or be pulled into a pitch. That makes it really hard to manage client expectations and a project timeline.

Raises aren't easy to get. A colleague was given a new title and almost a year later, that person saw the money. I can understand if you don't have the money to give someone a raise, but don't give them the title and all of the responsibilities that come with it, then continue to pay them 20k less than they deserve.

Establish higher standards for evaluating talent. Help your employees learn more about the digital ad world and help them share that knowledge with each other. Also, get one darn office.

I was at Bravo in NY as a Creative Director for Sears and other accounts

Former Employee - Creative Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Creative Director in New York, NY

I worked at Publicis full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

is a company nice to work with

Cons

things go to fast, in order to be creative with the client

all Management was great!

Publicis is a good stepping stone before you move to another agency

I worked at Publicis full-time

Pros

If you are on a good account, there is a nice work/life balance. Free ice cream, lots of happy hours.

Cons

The HR department is completely useless. It is nearly impossible to move to another account or get a raise.

When you complete the merger with Kaplan Thaler, I would completely overall the HR department, especially the top people.

Publicis Photos

Siège social de Publicis (Photo thanks to Flickr user Alexandre Prévot, Some Rights Reserved)
Publicis Groupe head quarters (Photo thanks to Flickr user Kaustav Bhattacharya, Some Rights Reserved)
Publicis (Photo thanks to Flickr user Spablab, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo