Publishing Concepts

Updated August 26, 2014
Updated August 26, 2014
3.8

Drew Clancy

Great place to work with great values!

I have been working at Publishing Concepts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This company lives their values! PCI is committed to creating a WOW experience for their associates as well as their clients. You are not called an employee. You are an associate with PCI and sincerely appreciated for your talents. Great environment to grow and become empowered.

Cons

Probably the only con is the traffic on LBJ, where the office is located! But there are plenty of side streets so you can avoid the freeway!

Keep bringing in great contracts and making this a dynamic place to work!

additional comment on salary

I worked at Publishing Concepts as an intern

Pros

based on pts The management is very flexible with the schedule and will work with employees to accommodate scheduling needs.

Cons

point system may be confusing to new employees - benefits are poor to start very confusing, requirement to work holidays at regular pay and benefits not available in comparison to other companies that give benefits after the 90 probation.

DO NOT WORK HIGH TURNOVER/UNREASONABLE HIGH QUOTA EXPECTATIONS. FIRE FAST if you don't meet*** HIGH*** SALES Quota

I worked at Publishing Concepts full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The location is good. And flexible hours.

Cons

MICRO MANAGE. Supervisors always breathing down your neck about sales quota. You can't make customers purchase the directory. High pressure sale. If you dont meet their unreasonable high sales quota you'll be out the door, quick. That's why fire and hire quick. They have training classes every week and if you don't make the cut out you go. And will replace quickly. This company money hungry and if you low on sales they don't coach. They replace you with no thought or consideration.

Great company to work for - love my job!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Publishing Concepts full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

PCI has a great culture which encourages people to learn and get better. The Dallas Morning News named the company one of the Top 100 Workplaces 2 of the last 3 years - which really says a lot. I love the people I work with and I've been very impressed with the quality of the new hires over the past several years.

Cons

PCI is a fast-paced culture so you better be ready to work hard and apply yourself.

I love PCI's values and client promises. It's important to keep focusing on creating a great environment so we can continue to attract great people.

sales associate over the phone selling directories to college alumni and military clients.

Former Employee - Sales/Marketing in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales/Marketing in Dallas, TX

I worked at Publishing Concepts full-time (less than an year)

Pros

great opportunity for advancement from within.

Cons

no direct deposit for payroll

My experience working at PCI was pleasant and fulfilling.

Former Employee - Intern in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Intern in Dallas, TX

I worked at Publishing Concepts as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Positive and energetic environment, very friendly and helpful employees, many opportunities for growth and career development

Cons

Very busy, sometimes there is too much going on at one time

Has been a great home.

I have been working at Publishing Concepts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You see the CEO daily, very values driven company, competitive compensation, centrally located, honorable product, promote from within, fun place to work

Cons

There can be high pressure to perform. Wish there were more resources at sometimes to complete the "todo" items.

Keep it up -- you have a great company.

Great place to work!

I have been working at Publishing Concepts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I like working for a company that strives to make a difference for future generations. It is great being a part of a team that cares about their customers and each other. One of PCI's values is people; "we believe people have the capacity for greatness"; and they live this value everyday. The company believes in rewarding perfomance with growth opportunity as well as money!

Cons

I can't think of any negatives except the LBJ location can get a little rough! However, there are plenty of back road avenues to avoid LBJ and being across from the Galleria makes up for the construction.

Keep the contracts coming! Business is great!

The best experience and position of my career. A job that feels right, like home.

Current Employee - Customer Service in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Publishing Concepts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

PCI cares about their employees, your not just an associate, your important on every level. They acknowledge your accomplishments and celebrate your successes to help guide your growth and education both personally and professionally.

Cons

Like any job I'd love to be paid more, however they are fair and firm.

Don't stop, just keep getting better as you have each year I've worked for you. It's a great place to work and keeps getting better, offering more benefits each year.

glorified data entry, don't expect to make a commission

I worked at Publishing Concepts full-time (less than an year)

Pros

*some* nice people at the company.

Cons

micro-mangement of your time, impossible and un-relealistic goals, if you succeeded in sales elsewhere, don't expect to here, where about 50% of the company does not hit, or barely hits the quota needed to make a commission, you/your success matter little to management (who are focused on a big picture, as it's a numbers game, not your individual success), very high turnaround, seems like it might be a scam, as many people who call in claim they never received the product they paid for years ago. people's "success" at the company has more to do with what campaigns the company is currently in. a good salesperson won't be able to meet the goals if the company is on bad campaigns, or if call volume is not good. therefore one has little control over how much they can earn. again, approx 50% of the company either does not make a commission, or makes a tiny one.

training should actually be training. there was almost no real training. also, you should tell people that it's not really a sales job, as people on the phone generally want the directory, or don't. sales savvy has little to do with success, as it's a number game, don't tell new hires that they can make $50-60k/year. The job itself is mostly data entry, and most working at the company are lucky to make any commission at all. when you have "trainers" who don't even know how to pronounce the word "ask" (they pronounce it ax), that's never a good sign. in the interview, you sell the job to prospects on a lie, that they can make $50-60k/year. It's highly unlikely that anyone is making that at the company.