Publix

Publix Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014

Publix CEO and Director Ed Crenshaw

Ed Crenshaw

Pros:
  • "The stock advantages and 401k are great benefits and the only reason I continue to work there"
    in 64 reviews
  • "As a part-time employee, you have the luxury to tailor your schedule to your needs"
    in 51 reviews
Cons:
  • "Part-time employees get no real benefits until a year after employment or you become a full-time"
    in 91 reviews
  • "People who can only work part time only get to work ONE DAY per week at times"
    in 54 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great place to work

Customer Service Staff (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Publix part-time for more than a year

ProsFor a retail the work environment is very good.

ConsPhysically demanding on any position.

Great Company

Grocery Replenishment Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at Publix full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPublix's belief in hiring from within makes it a great place to work

ConsSince it is such a great company, getting promoted can be difficult at times.

I like my job...but....

Customer Service (Current Employee)
Lake Worth, FL

I have been working at Publix part-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat benefits
401K Match
Great for students
Lots of Part-time jobs
Pay is high for retail / grocery
If you work hard, they will give you hours
If you make friends with the right people, you will really go far

ConsFavoritism
Managers with terrible attitude problems & no respect for employees (making sarcastic remarks, talking to someone as if they are dirt under their shoe, etc)
Lack of Full-time promotions

(personal rant)
I've been with Publix for nearly 10 years, part-time. I have been told to "wait until an opportunity comes up". However, I have watched several of my peers work hard and advance their careers. Meanwhile, I'm working just as hard as my peers, but I'm stuck in a standstill and given no real explanation as to why when opportunities do rise, I am looked over or forgotten about. My management team are fully aware I want to advance to a full time position, but they continue to "place me in the corner". I recently have reached top performance scores in my job class, and still nothing. Management will not fully explain what they require from me, and it is very frustrating. I cannot lose my job, so I have to keep my mouth shut about I truly want to say to these people...
I am not prepared to invest another 10 or 20 years into a company that will obviously never give me a full-time career. Unless I find a store willing to promote and help further my career, I am reaching the end of my journey with this grocery store. I am going to finish my BA degree and then most likely leave unless things drastically change.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive a simple "yes or no" answer to someone who is asking about full-time positions and offer more full-time careers. That way people wont waste their time on false hopes. Honesty and straightforwardness go a long way.
Demote any manager that displays nasty, degrading attitude to management and/or the employees. If you allow a bully to prosper, they will start growing a poison that will spread within the district, within the state, and eventually within the entire company. Management need to remember where they started and that everyone in the company is on an equal standing and level with each other. And if they are unhappy, maybe they should leave instead of making other people's lives miserable.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

bakery Manager

Bakery Manager (Current Employee)
Lawrenceville, GA

I have been working at Publix full-time for more than 8 years

ProsYou get stocks from the retirement plan.

Consworking 50 hours a week can be a little of a burden for a family with small childrens

Advice to Senior Managementworking 50 hours a week is a little overwhelming, specially when you have little kids...

Check with the employees before inquiring

Front Service Clerk (Former Employee)
Lawrenceville, GA

I worked at Publix part-time for more than a year

ProsGood first job for (well-mannered) teens who need experience in customer service. Very clean stores with relatively helpful staff. Full-time employees are able to get stock in Publix (so I was told).

ConsOverstaffed with teens who have poor attitudes. Insulting training out at far off facilities. Older staff and younger staff tended to clash via mind games. Managers did not care about any of their employees except for select few (who were coddled despite their bad behavior).

Advice to Senior ManagementHire kind people if you expect them to be kind to your customers.

Once a Great Family to work with.

I have been working at Publix full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe financial performance of the company and the growth of employee 401k/ESOP shares is great.

ConsIt is expected that all work needs take precedence over any family obligations. Publix spends a gross amount of money to promote their "family" culture to create a corporate fear of reporting misconduct.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would advise Todd Jones and Ed Crenshaw to investigate employee attitudes in the corporate office aside from the failed AVS program. After working in a few departments, I have seen multiple retaliatory situations where the manager being reviewed purposefully harasses associates whom they know gave them a poor review up to the point of termination of the associate.

Fun and meet lots nice associates and customer that I can keep in touch with.

Front Service Clerk and Bagger (Former Employee)
Port St Lucie, FL

I worked at Publix part-time for more than 5 years

ProsBenefits and stocks were great.

ConsWorking with people who were related to each other and felt like they got priority over me.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Good Retirement Benefits, Little room for career growth at the moment!

Grocery Replenishment Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Publix full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat stock to own and it is given to you for your service!

ConsUpper management is horrible and very disconnected with daily operations

7 years down the drain

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Publix for more than 5 years

ProsThe floors aren't dirt and the toilets flush (most of the time unless a bagger has to suction them out), there is air conditioning and a few chairs in the dirty, filthy break-room. The pharmacists get treated with the most respect and even get carpeted floors! There are a few weeks where customers aren't badgered too much for money for charity (a few). If you like lines, then it is better than ever to come to the store with fewer employees on the clock. Not having a self-checkout will help you make new friends while waiting in the long lines and picking out a floral arrangement is much easier as there are less choices to confuse you. Publix pays using the American dollar so it's easy to use your low wages to buy groceries at Wal Mart. If you do acquire stock, you can't cash it in (until you quit) if you have a family emergency so you can let other family members feel like the hero in the emergency. On a snow day, the company would prefer you wreck your car than not show up so then you can get a new paint job that you've been putting off. Since the company doesn't trust the employees, learn how to overcome the "shame of being" by really, really learning the company's videos on theft and shrink - after watching them, you'll come away with a really good feeling of selflessness.

ConsHiring from within is like marrying your cousin - it produces mentally unstable, slow children. This company is so cheap that they use outdated, inefficient equipment, was conned into buying the OASIS system of slavery, sells the same old tired products in the deli (and throughout the store) that waste employees' time throwing them together against a menu that keeps getting bigger and bigger, tomatoes that arrive frozen and mushy, sub rolls that vary in the quality with each batch, managers that don't manage or correct things as they are overworked but overpaid for what they do (don't do), a stock price that only went up 15 cents should be an indicator of the malaise going on in the stores, the dreaded soundtrack that blares Basia over and over for years, stores that are getting dirtier as window washers are fired, high school kids cleaning the floors in a hurry, poor inventory accounting, ads that seniors can't read as the print is too small, too many "feel good" commercials that make me want to puke, and I wonder if these comments will even get printed as this is a company run by Progressives who believe that everything "has to be fair" except for the distribution of the profits which mostly go to the Publix family. It reminds me of the Stuckey's plantations that used to line the highways up and down Florida except those places were not as stuck-up and rigid as Publix is -even the uniforms haven't been changed in over 8 years. Not an innovative company at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementStand up to corporate and demand less hours so you can have some enthusiasm for your job and not just piddle away your 11+ hours a day doing mindless tasks. Try talking to employees and using a notepad to write down the problems they have and then fix them. If management does not care, then guess who else doesn't care? Oh, and how about district managers loosening up and getting their hands dirty while they visit a store? I thought we were all on the same team but after years of seeing the store's standards go down the toilet, the idea of a Union might not be a bad thing for the hourly employees - which should please the Progressive owners except that would mean less control over the droids and their money....

For the most part I loved it

Grocery Clerk (Current Employee)
Brentwood, TN

I have been working at Publix part-time for more than a year

ProsI was offered a position in the grocery departmet that is usally given to men.

ConsI worked for them for a year and a half and was never given a full time position. I was told that only those who "work hard enough get full time.

Advice to Senior ManagementListent to complaints

Worked for Publix? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Publix reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Publix CEO Ed Crenshaw. All 955 reviews posted anonymously by Publix employees.