Publix
3.7 of 5 1,082 reviews
www.publix.com Lakeland, FL 5000+ Employees

Publix Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2011's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros:
  • "Great benefits; amazing 401k options; willing to work with a college student's schedule"
    in 73 reviews
  • "Also the company has good benefits, even some of them for part time associates"
    in 62 reviews
Cons:
  • "I'm pretty sure this is illegal if I am not converted to a full-time employee but make"
    in 109 reviews
  • "People who can only work part time only get to work ONE DAY per week at times"
    in 63 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Unpredictable

Albany, GA

ProsNo layoffs for full-time employees, nice stock bonuses, good 401, majority of employees extremely nice and hard-working, good format for promotions, up to date with tools for customers, customers are loyal to store and to individual employees they can go to for assistance and advice, most managers are very willing to teach additional skills and co-workers are willing to help out if you are in a time crunch.

ConsSlow down the growth, increase the technology in the stores, make store managers live in the community their store is located in. Our store has the majority of its management staff live more than fifty miles away.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize some managers are poison to store morale.

Looking ahead

Front Service Clerk (Current Employee)
    Orange Park, FL

ProsPeople are nice. Some have even been very encouraging. The full time employees seem very dedicated. The customers are fun to be around (for the most part)

ConsThe biggest con is the way breaks are administered. There are no breaks, just unpaid lunch where I work. Another person can come in later and get an hour break for even less time. Breaks should be a little more standard, with the understanding that working around crowds will happen.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you say you are hiring someone for mainly day. Use them mainly in the day. Offer standard breaks in addition to unpaid lunch.

Publix is great place to work

Saint Petersburg, FL

ProsGood positive place to work, good standards

ConsCorporate HR is out to get you! Michael Abrams is a very unproffesional and hurts Publix's reputation.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of Michael Abrams in HR, very bad person to "look up to"

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Review of Publix experience

Cashier (Former Employee)
    Davie, FL

Prosflexible hours, bonuses at the end of year, opportunities to support local charities, comradory between staff, pleasant place to work

ConsManagers play favorites sometimes, people always wanting to change schedules with you, make you walk the store and do other chores.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be nice. if they hired people full time. I don't know anyone who can survive off a part time job unless they are a high schooler

Good job, not enough pay

Cashier (Former Employee)
    Miami, FL

ProsOpportunity to advance, get raises every 3 months, one application is good for all stores near you, many people in the company care about you, tuition reimbursement

ConsSome managers are condescending, required to do things not in your job description, called in frequently on days you're not scheduled

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that you should treat your staff with respect, listen to what they need.

Good Place To Work

Cashier (Current Employee)
    Tampa, FL

ProsExcellent place for high schoolers to work part time. Pretty laid back atmosphere and everyone is pretty nice. Decent pay, too.

ConsNot the best pay but it's Publix so you really shouldn't be expecting to make tons of money. Really no complaints, though.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to get more involved with the lower level workers, because they get too wrapped up in the high level corporation stuff and tend to forget about the employees.

Started out great. Ended horribly

Deli Clerk (Former Employee)
    Loganville, GA

ProsThe benefits later offered are what kept me working with this store as long as I did.
    The insurance is great.
    The customers became friends and people I looked forward to seeing.

I worked in this store for a long time and the manager who hired me was great and down to earth and shared the same beliefs as George Jenkins. This manager acted equal to other associates.

ConsIt's very hard to get full time now. No matter how hard you work.

We had no store manager for 2 months.

When the new manager came in she was so very different and has different policies.
    She failed to tell everyone how she likes things done and what she doesn't tolerate.
    Because of this many people were breaking rules and had no idea.

After the new manager worked with us about a month she fired 4 people.
    We were taught that our fellow employees are customers too by our former manager.
    So they are allowed to sample things just like the customers.
    The new manager doesn't agree with this and fired people who had given employees a sample of something as well as any associates that accepted the food.
    Some people were fired because after the store closed they'd eat a piece of chicken or something that was about to go in the trash.
    Intolerant of waste?

The rule we were taught was 3 write ups and then you get fired.
    Had she written the associates up the problem would have been solved.
    She didn't have to fire them. Some of them had been working in this store years and worked very hard. This has made it hard on the department.

New employees don't get a dollar extra an hour for working on Sundays, the benefits have changed and the raises are now less.

The employees that were fired were wonderful.
    They developed friendships and connections with their customers.
    Now these people are going to go into the store and not know anyone.
    They'll have to retrain a whole new line of employees on their needs, their likes and dislikes.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think managers need lengthier training.
    I think they've forgotten why Publix was supposed to be so great.
    All of the old managers understood what George Jenkins' vision was.
    Four managers and assistant managers were transferred in one month, great managers.
    The 4 new managers and assistant managers that were brought in are so different. They acted above everyone and treated us like dirt.

How to get a head at Publix Supermarket

Montgomery, AL

ProsFlatter the store manager become his best bud, if he likes you, you have it made (without hard work).

ConsGenerally grocery stores do not layoff , rarely fire.Your hours are cut instead. (This is part of the industry)

Advice to Senior ManagementThe "open door" policy is for effect only. My suggestions have been provided my District Manager.

Great place to work. Work hard, be rewarded

Deli Associate (Current Employee)
    Stuart, FL

ProsIt is a great place to work. The people are friendly, and everyone works hard. There are great opportunities for career growth.

ConsNone. Publix is a great place to work, and I cannot identify any cons.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

"A Great Place to Work :D"

Cashier (Current Employee)
    Murfreesboro, TN

ProsYou get to smile a lot.
    Stock.
    You can chit chat and still get paid.

ConsThe boss agrees with customers over employees because "the customer is always right".
    The employees will treat the customers with high value like queens and kings, but each other with hate and betrayal (two-faced)
    Customers abuse the nice policy and act like babies and cry to management about how they are not worshiped in every step of the store from entry to exit.

Advice to Senior ManagementBefore trusting a customers word over a valued employee, view video tapes before making assumptions. That is what they are there for. Don't expect your employees to be so fake, sometimes they might "roll eyes" because they have stress. Not everything employees do is directed to the complaining customers that make mountains out of mole hills.

Worked for Publix? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Publix reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Publix CEO Ed Crenshaw. All 57 reviews posted anonymously by Publix employees.