Publix

Updated Jul 21, 2014

3.7 1,105 reviews

Publix CEO and Director Ed Crenshaw

Ed Crenshaw

Pros
  • Great benefits; amazing 401k options; willing to work with a college student's schedule(in 77 reviews)

• Good benefits and pay is raised at a decent amount throughout your career there(in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • I'm pretty sure this is illegal if I am not converted to a full-time employee but make(in 115 reviews)

• People who can only work part time only get to work ONE DAY per week at times(in 65 reviews)

1,105 Employee Reviews

Good company bad environment.

Front Service Clerk (Bagger) (Current Employee) Franklin, TN

ProsGood values, good with time-off, good career opportunity

ConsStressful environment, Snotty Customers treat you like a slave, Low pay, management is not forgiving

Advice to Senior Managementprotect associates more from customers

The best of places, the worst of places

Produce Clerk (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsOnce breaking the very tricky ceiling of 'full-timer' status, Publix offers a guaranteed forty hour week, and the employee stock ownership can accrue nicely with time served.

ConsOne can linger in the uber-tenuous 'part-timer' zone for a long time. Full-timer status brings an expectation of 100% schedule flexibility that's tough on 2-parent-income families. The conservative, old-boy culture combines with a high degree of difficulty in switching stores where promotion to mgmt bumps up against clique-ish silliness. You can get stuck well below yr potential at Publix.

Advice to Senior ManagementI left for a competitor. Keep up the bad work, Publix.

Great benefits for a part-time student

Part Time Cashier/Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) New Port Richey, FL

ProsPublix is a great company to work for! It is a great atmosphere, generally great attitudes. They give you stock just based off of working there, that you get to keep if you stay with them for 3 years or more. You get dental and vision benefits being a part-time and have the opportunity to work towards getting health benefits as well. You are almost always guaranteed a minimum .25 cent raise every 6 months for your evaluation.

ConsIt is retail. Hours can be long and enduring, difficult to have time off at the holidays since help is more needed.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not what it used to be

Department Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThe pay is good, especially if you don't have a college degree.

ConsConstant cutting of resources impacts quality, morale and customer service.

Very little authority to make decisions and those that you can make are always second-guessed.

The company is very cliquish. If you aren't one of the right people, your career will stall regardless of how hard your work.

Advice to Senior ManagementA little positive feedback will go along way. Work at consistency in how you treat all your associates. As it stands now, some are set up for success and others to fail. If you're not careful about nickel and diming your hourly associates, the unions will be a real threat.

Good place to work if you're a student.

Part Time Cashier (Current Employee) Columbia, SC

ProsFlexible hours if you're a student

ConsLong shifts & can get tiring if you don't specify how long you'd like to work in a day.

Great place to work!

Part Time Cashier (Current Employee) Valdosta, GA

ProsGood hours, nice pay! Productive co-workers and experienced managers.

ConsManagement is shifted often. Sometimes for the best, other times not so much. That's the nature of the business though.

Great place!

Cashier (Current Employee) Weston, FL

ProsFlexible hours and great place to work. You meet a lot of interesting people! Had a blast! I recommend it to everyone!

ConsThere really wasn't any cons to working here. It is what it is. You know what you are getting yourself into before you sign up to work here.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what youre doing.

Easy place to get caught in a rut

Stock Clerk (Current Employee) Valrico, FL

Proslots of room for growth and good benefits

Consgrowth is often a very political process

Advice to Senior Managementa secret boss program would benefit you guys

Excellent Employer

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Augusta, GA

ProsGreat management and training. Wonderful benefits

ConsChanging your hours at the last minute, having to work crazy hours. Hard to plan ahead for anything social.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet up some way for the OSS to notify us via email when a schedule change occurs. Also, if you have a doctor's excuse, we should not be written up for missing a shift.

Great Place to work

Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) Destin, FL

ProsGreat stock incentives and insurance is available.

ConsAutomating scheduling does not make sense do not like working 11 hours one day and only 4 the next.

Advice to Senior Managementmore consistency on schedules and make sure all corporate rules are in place and less personal rules, and look out Winn-Dixie has upped the game big time!!!!

Worked for Publix? Contribute to the Community!