Publix Reviews

3.7
Publix CEO and Director Ed Crenshaw
Ed Crenshaw
1,076 Ratings

Pros
  • Great benefits for full time employees (in 102 reviews)

• Good benefits once you get hired on full time (in 79 reviews)

Cons
  • I held my full-time position for about 5 months until I decided I wanted to pursue my Masters degree (in 135 reviews)

• Part time employees are compensated fairly but not treated equally (in 79 reviews)

1,962 Employee Reviews

Produce Clerk

I worked at Publix full-time

Pros

Great upper and lower management managers are really involved with their employees

Cons

Fast paced work environment Competitive to move up with more politics then expected

Advice to Management

Just keep treating your employees like kings and they will naturally treat your customers the same.

2. It pays to work at Publix.

Current Employee - Bakery Manager in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Bakery Manager in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Publix full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity to advance, high salaries for management, paid everything. (Vacation, sick time, holiday pay, quarterly bonus, quarterly dividends, holiday bonus, end of year bonus)

Cons

Sometimes can be long hours 50+ per week. Constant changes within the organization may work in 20+ stores in your career. Staffing can be difficult and a constant battle to promote qualified people.

Advice to Management

Staffing is the big issue, with aggressive growth planned we need aggressive staffing measures. Like let's run high volume stores with two assistant department managers, so that we always have a batter on deck so to speak.

3. Marketing Manager

I worked at Publix

Pros

Great company to work for. Strong leadership. Associate owned. You get stock every year. It makes everyone committed to doing their best. Strong culture that is clearly understood and articulated.

Cons

Retail culture is followed even positions which are not retail focus. Some of the rules and procedures ae more suited for the stores than for the corporate environment.

Advice to Management

Provide more advancement opportunities for corporate associates. Since turnover is low at higher corporate positions, it is hard for an ambitious person to see the future.

5. Pharmacy Technician, FT

Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician
    Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician

I have been working at Publix

Pros

Semi-annual reviews, quarterly inventory bonuses, mostly friendly staff throughout company, generous pay increases, vacation pay-out for PT, accruing vacation time for FT, gifted stock,

Cons

Had to take a pay cut to change to this company, but recovered in about a year. All pharmacies should have the Full Time Tech be identified as Lead or Trainer because they are there almost everyday and can support training and help relay updates/reminders of policies and procedures. Part-time Techs do not respond well to advice unless there is a known chain of command.

Advice to Management

There are no secrets. Everyone talks, just be open about changes because the grapevine grows quickly. Company doesn't pay for re-certification or re-registration fees.

6. Great place to work

I have been working at Publix full-time

Pros

Flexible schedule in a family type environment. Lots of opportunities for advancement. Willing to train in any and all departments

Cons

The busy times are nights, weekends and holidays. Sometimes you encounter rude and unfriendly customers. You will be expected to pick up others slack

7. Produce Clerk

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Publix full-time

Pros

Great company takes care of employees.More importantly caters to customers.Many opportunities to advance.

Cons

Takes long to become full-time.

Advice to Management

Get to know and listen to employees more.

8. Great First Job

Current Employee - Part Time Cashier in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Part Time Cashier in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Publix

Pros

Friendly coworkers, good management, good hours. This is one of the better first time jobs I think most people could have. Work environment is very professional and clean compared to fast food places.

Cons

Sometimes rude customers. The work isn't always the easiest but it's well rewarded through a positive work environment that supports its employees. I think Publix is best known for its great management and employees.

Advice to Management

I would try to ensure that employees can grow with the company. Turn more part time employees into full time employees. Don't schedule employees on the wrong days. Put more cashiers on registers when the store gets busy.

9. Good company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne, FL

I worked at Publix

Pros

low stress, somewhat flexible hours, good work conditions and environment, a good place for teens to start and acquire customer service skills that will help in later life

Cons

limited room for advancement unless willing to transfer to other locations (sometimes at a great distance), pay is okay for a single person but not conducive to someone providing for dependants

Advice to Management

increase the pay for above average workers and be willing to work with the employees needs for scheduling.

10. Not for everyone

Former Employee - Grocery Replenishment Specialist in Spartanburg, SC
    Former Employee - Grocery Replenishment Specialist in Spartanburg, SC

I worked at Publix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong company, security, and great benefits. My thoughts and ideas were considered as possible options. Strick guidelines are set to insure punctuality ,accountability, and to provide proper training.

Cons

No real con's, Publix is different than other retail operation, benefits are outstanding the culture is different and some will find it hard to get use to. Stick with them.

Advice to Management

Gain stronger HR skills, talk to employees and vendors(so that they may be customers also)with respect, they alone can ruin your customer service. Word of mouth is is free and the best advertising but, bitter employees have three times the impact than that of the consumer.

11. great

Current Employee - Cashier/Bagger in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Cashier/Bagger in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Publix part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

First job also i want to be independent and not depend on my mom for her money

Cons

Have school work also want to do things

Advice to Management

Have great customer service

Showing 1,962 of 1,966 reviews